Champion Notes: Leblanc, The Deceiver!
This week I am covering the champion we all hate to lane against, Leblanc! Master of blowing people up mid-lane and some of the most terrifying ganks in the game. While she is not known in the competitive scene, she can cause a lot of trouble for many common mid lanes and strongly snowball games. After this, it should be clear why she can be a scary asset to a team and a champion you might want to play.
|Health||390 (+75)||Attack damage||51 (+3.1)|
|Health regen.||4.5 (+0.55)||Attack speed||0.625 (+1.4%)|
|Mana||250 (+50)||Armor||12 (+3.5)|
|Mana regen.||6.9 (+0.6)||Magic res.||30|
- All of Leblanc's damage is magical.
Damage, Ratio's, & Cooldowns on Skills:
Sigil of Silence (Q):
Initial: 70 / 110 / 150 / 190 / 230 (.6 AP)
Proc: 20 / 40 / 60 / 80 / 100 (.3 AP)
Total: 90 / 150 / 210 / 270 / 330 (.9 AP)
Cooldown: 6 at all ranks
85 / 125 / 165 / 205 / 245 (.6 AP)
Cooldown: 18 / 16 / 14 / 12 / 10
Ethereal Chains (E):
Initial: 0 / 65 / 90 / 115 / 140 (.5 AP)
Secondary: 40 / 65 / 90 / 115 / 140 (.5 AP)
Total: 80 / 130 / 180 / 230 / 280 (1.0 AP)
Cooldown: 10 at all ranks
Damage increase of copied spell: 10% / 25% / 40%
Total AP Ratio (No mimic included): 2.5 (with potential for 3.4 or 3.5)
Burst at lvl 6 and lvl 11 with Ignite (No MR on Target)
Max Q first, then E
lvl 6: 210(Q) + (210*1.1)(R) + 80(E) + 85(W) + 170(Ignite) = 776 + (3.4 AP) Total Damage
lvl 11: 330(Q) + (330*1.25)(R) + 180(E) + 85(W) + 270(Ignite) = 1277 + (3.4 AP) Total Damage
If you have 100 AP, add 370 to the total burst.
Burst at lvl 6 and lvl 11 with Ignite (MR on Target)
MR is assumed to be 42 (Base MR + Runes).
Damage Reduction 100 / (100 + 42) = 29.5% reduction in magic damage.
lvl 6: (776*.705) + 170(Ignite) = 547 + (3.4 *.705) Total Damage
lvl 11: (1277*.705) + 270(Ignite) = 900 + (3.4 * .705) Total Damage
Leblanc and Scaling
There is a general conclusion amongst many players that Leblanc does not scale into the late game. When people say "Doesn't scale into late game," it can mean many things, usually it means they do not scale as well with gold than other champions. In Leblanc's case, this is not technically correct. You see, the base values on her abilities are not nearly as high as you might think, but the AP scaling is very high. 3.7 is an extremely high value for scaling, having almost 3 abilities with 1.0 scaling. So Leblanc actually scales very well with AP, hence she scales well with gold. I believe the reason for this belief is because of two primary reasons:
1: Easy to defend against
In season 2, the only way you can negate someone's magic resistance is if you ignore it through only flat penetration. No percentage penetration will get a targets MR to 0. It does not help that Flat penetration items generally do not scale into late game either. Once you get a void staff, these items are almost pointless. Further, one negatron cloak on a carry reaches it past the point where you can even get someone to 0 MR. Making it so that they always have some form of defense against your burst. Which for a burst mage that must kill in one go, can be bad. This is especially true late game as AD carries have their core offensive items and can now itemize defense, with Leblanc as a likely priority.
2: Difficulty Farming
Unlike many other mages, Leblanc does not have an easy means to wave clear. To clear waves quickly, she must use her W. Which is her only means of escape, and then mimic it with her R, using both her escape and ultimate to clear. This is not only dangerous to do, but time inefficient as both are on long cooldowns. So a mage like Morgana, or Cassiopeia can push very hard against her, and she has no means of really pushing back. While this does open up gank potential for her lane, it cannot go on for too long or she will be denied. As a result, Leblanc strives to get most of her money from kills. Creating a sort of "feast or famine" style of gold gain. Leblanc must acquire kills to get enough gold to be useful later in the game, as she cannot farm like other mages.
These two reasons are what lead to the perception of Leblanc not scaling into the late game, despite her numbers showing very strong scaling. Issue 1, is being addressed already in Season 3. Issue 2 however is a built in weakness of Leblanc and likely to persist.
- Leblanc has a very nice Auto Attack for last hitting. This is important, as she has little other ways of gaining gold efficiently.
- Her W when pressed again allows her to return to the location from which it was cast. As a result, Leblanc is the high queen of juking. Going into one brush from another forces your chaser to guess if you will keep running or return to the casting spot.
- When Q's Sigil is proc'd, it causes silence on the target. So a quick Q>W combo will deal damage but the opponent will have little ability to retaliate.
- While Q is almost always the spell mimiced, there is a point where her E will actually do more damage due to the 1.0 scaling. However this is at very high levels of AP and generally not worth doing unless you are packing 500+ AP.
- Her E has a slow missile speed and needs to be lead a bit more than other skill shots.
- With high single target damage, she works well in compositions that rely on taking out one person quickly. Skarner's ultimate for example, creates a great situation for her to do her work.
- In terms of general match-ups against mages, Leblanc does very well. Her laning phase is among the best.
- Leblanc needs kills, so roaming is very important when playing Leblanc.
- While Leblanc almost always targets squishes like AD carries, she can target tanks if it will remove them immediately from the fight.
Leblanc is a very straight forward champion. She is a mage-assassin, that does massive burst damage to a single target, packing almost no utility into her kit for her to use if she falls behind. Her biggest weakness is her inability to catch-up when she falls behind. If she cannot start snowballing, the game will be much more difficult for Leblanc. However, simply having Leblanc on the field almost forces every member of the enemy team to build MR. If not, they run a very real risk of being destroyed before they can do anything. Glass cannons against Leblanc simply do not work. So if your looking for something blunt and good at taking out carries, Leblanc might be your girl.