What Happened to Attack Speed?
So far we’ve seen complaints about bruisers, the jungle, and by extension mages and mids having it nice and lovely. Pretty much only the support role is universally accepted as better. AD Carry is considered “nerfed” in some way and also stale.
There’s a trend I pointed out in bruiser items that the same old stuff isn’t as good anymore. Guess what? The same applies to AD Carries and attack speed, as attack speed got nerfed. Very hard. It has received little discussion or “oh man this is so different now” kind of analysis.
So first let’s look at how attack speed has changed, and then make some conclusions about what this means for play, especially for carries. First up and most notable is items.
The first thing to note is that Riot increased the cost of attack speed. This was stated in the notes. The item set as a whole that has suffered. Attack speed items are worse, and anyone who relies on it is going to suffer as a result (eat your heart out, AD casters).
Attack speed items removed: Elixir of Agility, Madred’s Bloodrazor, Ionic Spark, Cloak and Dagger
Attack speed items with the attack speed removed: Zeke’s Herald, Black Cleaver
Attack speed items that are nerfed:
- Berserker’s Greaves. 20 less gold, 5% less attack speed
- Recurve Bow. 100 less gold, 10% less attack speed
- Dagger. 20 less gold, 3% less attack speed
- Phantom Dancer. 45 less gold, 5% less attack speed, 7% less Move Speed, new passive that’s lovely for bruiser
- Zeal. 20 less gold, 2% less attack speed, 1% less movespeed.
- Malady. 210 more gold, 5% less attack speed. Damage only an improvement on AP stacked champs as discussed recently
- Wit’s End. 50 more gold, 10 less MR.
- Triforce: 130 more gold, higher phage cost, 5% less crit, 4% less movement speed, reduced slow, 50 less mana.
- Nashor’s Tooth: 115 less gold, 5% less cooldown. Oh boy!
- Ghostblade: 13 more gold for 5 less cooldown. Active changed slightly.
- Stinger: 160 more gold.
- Guinsoo’s Rageblade: 365 more gold, 5 less Damage and AP, crazy new extra passive added.
New Attack Speed Items: Zephyr, Runaan’s Hurricane, Statikk Shyv, Sword of the Divine
Hurricane is attack speed only and depends on enemies being clustered. It’s only for some carries, not all.
Zephyr is not for carries. You pay 50 more gold to give up 30 crit for 20 damage, 5% more movespeed, 10% more cooldown, and tenacity. That might be desirable on a bruiser or jungler, but they have merc’s, and the jungler has the golem upgrade to Spirit Stone, which is the best.
Statikk Shyv is worse than PD in fights. 300 gold less for 10 less attack speed and 10 less crit chance? And the passive only goes down by about 10 every auto-attack. However, I have to say I feel it’s better in solo queue, especially if you have worries about your team’s ability to peel. Why? Because you will be running and kiting a lot more and that makes more procs. Furthermore, it builds out of Avarice Blade, which gives two gp10 and and two extra gold per minion kill. Have that on for ten minutes, which is 20 waves, and get even half of them, and that’s 60 minions for 120 gold (that is equal to another two gp10). That makes Shyv actually cost more like 500+ less, and you still have the active to help compensate for less stats. Also, lane phases and farming ends earlier for carries in solo queue games. If you’re going BT first and not IE, consider getting this.
Sword of the Divine is highly inefficient for its stats (Stinger is 950 less gold for 5 less AS and 10 more CD), but the active is strong. The items are trying to give characteristics to some classes that don’t have them, and this is adding burst to a primaly sustain-damage type of role. Now you can get 3 crits in a row, and that is very scary. If you screw it up you lose the AS.
- Damage costs less, and attack speed costs more. This makes attack speed runes worth more now. A full set of marks is 15% attack speed, which is 1.25 daggers. A full set of damage marks is 8.55 damage, which is part of a Long Sword. Damage marks are 342 gold's worth of stats; attack speed marks are 500 gold's worth of stats. Of course, the argument goes, you need damage to help with last-hitting. That’s fine! But if people like to throw in a few crit runes here and there (they are worth more than damage and less than AS), you can also consider grabbing a few AS to mix in. Remember that the QQ on AS Quints is 2, whereas the Damage Quints are higher than 2, so if you mix, use Damage Quints.
- Attack Speed buffs from champions like Warwick, Udyr, Trundle, Wukong, and Xin Zhao are now all stronger. For AD carries this means the few without AS steroids will suffer.
- Wit’s End is now even more important on most bruisers, as many other options are junk and MR is now at more of a premium, with fewer options.
- Stinger could become to Season 3 for attack speed what Brutalizer was for Season 2. It’s an efficient cooldown item that builds into junk. It is very efficient, and you don’t have to get extra junk on top of it. In rare circumstances I’d get this over Wit’s even because 950 gold is a pickaxe and a ward, and if I don’t need the MR much and I’d like the cooldown, then lovely.
- Frozen Heart’s debuff and AS debuff moves are much stronger now. Despite its nerf in cost and stats, don’t be fooled—it is still awesome.
- AD Carry will not scale as well.
- Take the Frenzy mastery.
Good luck dealing with less attack speed.
Old Man Eyebrows
This week's eyebrows: