This thread was marked as Locked by Dankaw.

Climbing Mt. Elo Hell with VVinrar

I know so many friends who keep telling me how overpowered Tryndamere and Malzahar are, still they are playing 400 elo above me. Its not (only) knowledge of the game, its mostly decision-making. This special mate just knows how to play with trynd and malz. At the same time hes just a big noob about everything in this game. I think decision-making beats knowledge by far at low elo.

Trust me, they're there. The thing is they often make someone dodge in champ select, which means you don't actually see them in game.

I love how the first thing Caitlyn write is "ELO HELL" xD

Chuck Norris forecast:

Cloudy with a 90% chance of pain.

Ranked Game #20: Nunu

<section>

Today’s game was played as a solo queue game.  Amazingly, for only the second time in twenty games, I had to take a support role as last pick, which is some pretty stat-defying stuff.  Anyways, my opinion is that at this level, support can carry just as hard as a solo lane (or even higher) if they provide superior ward coverage — after all, the top mistake in low Elo is being caught out of position.

Draft Order:

Nidalee
    Kha’Zix Jax
    Nasus Ezreal
    Ahri Ashe
    Xin Zhao Fiddlesticks
    Nunu (VVinrar)

Today’s picks/bans were interesting.  There wasn’t anything out of the ordinary in the first three picks, as they are high priority/common picks at this level.  What was more interesting was the Nasus second pick for the enemy team, knowing that he was playing against either Kha’Zix or Jax — he loses both matchups.  Similarly, Fiddlesticks is rather poor against a burst-heavy composition such as our team’s, and interestingly enough he also chose to go mid against Ahri.  And finally, I picked Nunu as a support because of his ability to optimally use blood boil on 3 different allies as well as to provide a tankier frontline for Ashe.  After the Fiddlesticks pick, I figured out that their FP Nid was a support so I had an OH SHI- moment as we would lose bot lane.  There are a lot of unorthodox laning picks here, so look below for the final matchups.

In the laning phase, we should win most matchups.  Fiddlesticks doesn’t have a whole lot of kill potential in mid, so Ahri should win or at least go even.  On top, Jax should easily dominate Nasus.  On bottom, we will either go even or lose because of the strong poke by Nid/Ez with no answer from our team.  Later on in the game, I don’t think we have a high chance of losing minus a Xin/Fiddle snowball, as we are too tanky and a late-game oriented team.

Lane Matchups:

Early Game:

Both teams take defensive starts at blue with average ganking presence.

Top: Xin gets caught by Kha’Zix and Jax while trying to gank for FB at 7:00.
    Bot: Ahri comes down and we kill the enemy bot lane at 7:30, but Fiddlesticks comes down and gets 3 kills by himself before being cleaned up by Kha’Zix.

10 minute score: 0-1-2, 7 cs.  Ahead 1 kill top, mid behind 2 kills, bot ahead 1 kill, jungle ahead 1 kill and 15 cs.  Kills 4-3, ahead 1k gold.

Mid Game:

Jax kills Nasus on ganks at 10:15 and 12:45.  Ahri and Fiddlesticks kill each other at 11:00.  Ezreal kills Ashe at 12:45 while we take a 13:00 top tower.  A skirmish at 14:30 leads to a 2-0 due to a bad Fiddlesticks ult resulting in a 15:00 dragon.

Xin Zhao is caught and killed at 16:30.  We take mid tower at 18:00.  Another bad Fiddlesticks ult results in a double kill bot for Jax while a skirmish elsewhere results in 1-1 result, giving a grand total of 3-1.  We take bot turret off of this.

20 minute score: 1-1-6, 31 cs.  Team kills 13-6, towers 4-0. Ahead 9k gold.

Late Game:

At 21:00, we ace the enemy team 5-1, with a triple kill going to Kha’Zix, enabling us to take a second mid tower and a second dragon.  We catch Xin Zhao in the jungle at 24:00, resulting in another 4-1 teamfight in our favor, resulting in mid inhib and a second bot turret.

We take a 3-2 teamfight under the enemy Nexus at 27:00 and are forced to withdraw.  After a 29:00 dragon, we close out the game with a 5-1 ace.

Final score: 4-1-19, 63 cs.  Team score 31-12, towers 9-0.

Analysis:

From the start of the game, the enemy team never had much of a chance.  After the 10 minute mark, Nasus and Xin Zhao fell behind so much that they didn’t have a chance of catching up, while Fiddlesticks missing just about every ult in teamfights — by the time he hit an ultimate properly, our team was so far ahead that it didn’t matter.  This was just a blowout win by our team caused by a bad enemy team comp and unorthodox picks/laning assignments — evidenced by the fact that I had 4 kills as a support.

From what I can tell so far at this level, whoever has the most late-game bruisers wins every game.  Maybe I’ll experiment with this mentality in future games.

Score:

Final score: 4-1-19, 63 cs.  Team score 31-12, towers 9-0.
    Cumulative record: 118-66-177, 4.47 kda, 2-1 on support, 9-11 overall.  1239 Elo.

Replay: 
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0t3w0vvcoezkne/Game%2020%20Nunu.lrf

Scoreboard:

Original post @ http://vvinrar.tumblr.com/post/42110725546/ranked-game-20-nunu

</section>
    Last edited by VVinrar: 2/2/2013 12:17:25 PM

Follow me:

Just out of curiosity why is it that jax is supposed to beat a nasus?  From my experiences nasus always wins that lane because jax is for the most part auto attack champ and nasus crushes you with wither and then q for like half your health.  I guess you just have to put on early aggression?

Quote from AwesomeT07 »

Just out of curiosity why is it that jax is supposed to beat a nasus?  From my experiences nasus always wins that lane because jax is for the most part auto attack champ and nasus crushes you with wither and then q for like half your health.  I guess you just have to put on early aggression?

If Jax (or anybody) can zone Nasus out from getting Q farm, he scales horribly. Also, Jax scales very, VERY well into lategame. I suppose the Nasus got outplayed and/or ganked.

Last edited by SaltyKracka: 2/2/2013 1:15:59 PM

Jax doesnt autoattack in lane as well - he "pokes". He E->Q-auto.W-E again for stun and walk away. 

If a jax gets some mana regen somehow - he can do this 3-4 times and enemy either has to b - or get dived by jungler and die.

Yes if you just stand still and autoattack nasus - you will get crushed. 

I've found that too... The game is, for the most part, dominated by whoever has the best combination of tankiness and damage. Obviously there are occasions where you just get shut down so hard in the early game you can't recover, but still.

Luckily, I played my 20th match right before Riot implemented the League system, so I’m proud to announce that I have reached the stunning League of Silver IV (I’m so good, right?).

W/L Change: 4-6
    Cumulative record118-66-177, 4.47 kda (.16 kda decrease)
    10-Game Elo Gain/Loss : -107 (1239)

• Jungle: 0-1 (1-1 overall)
    • ADC: 0-2 (0-4 overall)
    • Support: 1-0 (2-1 overall)
    • Mid: 0-1 (2-1 overall)
    • Top: 2-3 (3-5 overall)

I am also 1-5 in duo queue games.

I’ve learned quite a bit since I’ve started.  Certain champions (AKA KAYLE) are really crappy with my particular runesets (penetration and MS speed) no matter what I do, so I might avoid these in the future.  Meanwhile, straightforward champions that have limited combos (such as Garen, Nunu) seem to benefit.

As for my playstyle during these games: On my main, I usually aim to dominate the enemy around level 2-3 to make sure I can get an easy farm advantage; however, limitations with this account mean that I have to wait until I hit 6 or go for my first shopping run before I can take advantage of my lane.  This has led to weaker lane control on my part and some roaming on the part of my enemies.  I tend to favor farming my lane over ganking other lanes, and that has been detrimental to my success at this skill level.  Games are decided much more quickly at the 1200 range compared to where I am playing at (I’m ~1500/Silver I on my main right now) so I have been having trouble adjusting my playstyle to suit.

I’m planning to spend most of my IP into buying new champions instead of new runes because I feel constrained by the amount of champions available to this account more than the lack of proper runes.  In most cases, I make up for my crappy runes by somewhat outplaying my counterpart in lane, which negates some of the advantage.

I had two primary problems during this set of games (11-20).  First, I lost most of the games while I was still losing -40 Elo, but started winning after the matchmaking system got more accurate (+20 per win), which led to a net loss of 107 Elo despite going 4-6.  Second, I’m not used to playing with armor pen, so I often missed a few creeps during the early game.  As a result, I averaged only about 65-70 cs/10 mins when I was having a good lane compared to a more optimal amount.

Original post @ http://vvinrar.tumblr.com/post/42443476693/elo-hell-recap-ranked-games-11-20

---

Separate rant that isn't in the original:

The league system is freaking unfair.  Based on my past season performance, I should definitely have been dumped into Gold IV/V, not Silver I.  I gain 7 LP per win, and lose 20 LP per loss, and I've still managed to climb up in LP.  Riot should at least tell us why the gains are so weird, so I don't feel like the system is working against me.

Last edited by VVinrar: 2/6/2013 1:41:24 PM

Follow me:

Elo Hell Recap: Ranked Games 11-20

Luckily, I played my 20th match right before Riot implemented the League system, so I’m proud to announce that I have reached the stunning League of Silver IV (I’m so good, right?).

W/L Change: 4-6
    Cumulative record: 118-66-177, 4.47 kda (.16 kda decrease)
    10-Game Elo Gain/Loss : -107 (1239)
    Jungle: 0-1 (1-1 overall)
    ADC: 0-2 (0-4 overall)
    Support: 1-0 (2-1 overall)
    Mid: 0-1 (2-1 overall)
    Top: 2-3 (3-5 overall)

I am also 1-5 in duo queue games.

I’ve learned quite a bit since I’ve started. Certain champions (AKA KAYLE) are really crappy with my particular runesets (penetration and MS speed) no matter what I do, so I might avoid these in the future. Meanwhile, straightforward champions that have limited combos (such as Garen, Nunu) seem to benefit.

As for my playstyle during these games: On my main, I usually aim to dominate the enemy around level 2-3 to make sure I can get an easy farm advantage; however, limitations with this account mean that I have to wait until I hit 6 or go for my first shopping run before I can take advantage of my lane. This has led to weaker lane control on my part and some roaming on the part of my enemies. I tend to favor farming my lane over ganking other lanes, and that has been detrimental to my success at this skill level. Games are decided much more quickly at the 1200 range compared to where I am playing at (I’m ~1500/Silver I on my main right now) so I have been having trouble adjusting my playstyle to suit.

I’m planning to spend most of my IP into buying new champions instead of new runes because I feel constrained by the amount of champions available to this account more than the lack of proper runes. In most cases, I make up for my crappy runes by somewhat outplaying my counterpart in lane, which negates some of the advantage.

I had two primary problems during this set of games (11-20). First, I lost most of the games while I was still losing -40 Elo, but started winning after the matchmaking system got more accurate (+20 per win), which led to a net loss of 107 Elo despite going 4-6. Second, I’m not used to playing with armor pen, so I often missed a few creeps during the early game. As a result, I averaged only about 65-70 cs/10 mins when I was having a good lane compared to a more optimal amount.

Original post @ http://vvinrar.tumblr.com/post/42443476693/elo-hell-recap-ranked-games-11-20

Follow me:

No ADC for you, sir :)

This guy sure does love to blame a lot on his runes.

1-5 in duo? Yay for me!

VVinrar's smurf is in the same division level as me? O.o i almost feel honored!

Quote from xcalibre0 »

This guy sure does love to blame a lot on his runes.

Rune and champ selection is like half the game

Follow me:

Difference of opinion. At 1200 I think it's safe to say that champ selection really doesn't matter and it's all about decision making. When to roam, when to farm, when to dragon fight, when to group, when to take objectives, etc. You can win games with 'support ap sona' or 'support ad janna', AP ww, AD garen, and so on.

At 1600+ everyone is making kinda the same decisions and knows a little about matchups, it's about who has the better mechanics AND who makes the better decisions AND what your runes/champs are. Meaning, as you get higher in elo, every little thing matters, while in the lower elo ranges, very little matters.

Ranked Game #21: Jax

<section>

Today’s game was played as a solo queue.  I just bought Jax, one of my favorite champions, so of course I wanted to try him out after purchase.  Unfortunately, LoLReplay has been having some issues lately since the last patch, so I wasn’t able to go into it and spectate the game.  I’ll do most of this post from memory, but it’s kind of spotty.

Draft Order:

Jax (VVinrar)
    Xin Zhao Lulu
    Malzahar Zyra
    Malphite Twisted Fate
    Ezreal Kha’Zix
    Miss Fortune

Since I was captain today, I was eager to instalock Jax, who is easily hard countered, but I was willing to take the risk of counterpick.  The enemy team’s Xin/Lulu first picks were rather safe, but our team responded horribly with Malz/Zyra picks that are easily counterable.  The enemy team took Malphite (because he wasn’t banned) and then Twisted Fate for their second set of picks, and my team took another few random picks in Ezreal and Kha’Zix.  With the Miss Fortune last pick, it because obvious in this game that everyone was just playing whatever they wanted, instead of picking/counterpicking strategically.

In the laning phase, the team compositions favor our team.  Jax easily beats Malphite; the bot lane tends to favor Ezreal/Zyra but will also be highly skill dependent in the matchup.  Mid will just be a farmfest, and I don’t anticipate the junglers making a huge impact in the early game.  Late game, both teams have strong bruisers, but I would favor my own team with Jax and Kha’Zix to take out squishies in teamfights versus Xin and Malphite.

Lane Matchups:

Early Game:

Both teams take defensive starts at blue.  At first, our top and bottom lanes are slightly winning, until Xin Zhao fails an invade and starts a 3v3 skirmish in our own jungle.  We end up taking a 2-0 advantage with Xin’s red buff going to Jax (me).  I score a kill on Malphite immediately after with my troll red buff slows while the bot lanes trade kills.

10 minute score: 2-0-1, ~70 cs.  Ahead 2 kill and 40 cs top, mid ahead 1 kills, bot even?, jungle ahead 2 assists.

Mid Game:

I kill Malphite again top and take tower, while Malazhar takes his tower from Twisted Fate via continuous pushing.  The team takes an uncontested dragon and hover around in their lanes.  I continue pushing like an idiot and double kill Malphite/Xin under their second top turret, while everyone else derps around in their lanes.  I take the second top tower by myself as a result.  Around the 18 minute mark, we group and win a teamfight, with the second mid tower as a result.  I stopped paying attention at this point, but we probably won another few teamfights, resulting in a 25 minute surrender.

Final score: 10-0-4, 204 cs.  Team score 23-5, towers 7?-0.

Analysis:

So you know all of that talk about lane matchups I did at the beginning?  None of that ended up mattering because we managed to get two kills and buffs in the jungle in the early game, which ended up winning our solo lanes for free.  This combined with my Jax countering Malphite top allowed for an extensive snowball top despite constant 1v2s, while Malzahar was able to snowball bottom lane with his own farm.  Xin Zhao became a nonfactor in the game after he died in our jungle early, while the enemy solo lanes were unable to recover from their bad laning phases.  We win in a stomp and past the 15 minute mark there wasn’t a huge chance that the enemy team would be able to come back.

Score:

Final score: 10-0-4, 204 cs.  Team score 23-5, towers 7?-?.
    Cumulative record: 128-66-181, 4.68 kda, 5-5 on top, 10-11 overall.  Silver IV/24 LP overall.

Replay: 
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hpyrdbsvzg4ysk2/Game%2021%20Jax.lrf

LoLReplay hasn’t been updated to the new patch, so it’s unviewable.

Scoreboard:

Like me on Facebook @ facebook.com/vvinrar

</section>

Original post @ http://vvinrar.tumblr.com/post/42696185176/ranked-game-21-jax

Follow me:

IP boost? :D

GJ, Jax is really a beast.

Since when does Jax counter Malphite top? Very interested in how you did this as a Jax player

Quote from ShockOne »

Since when does Jax counter Malphite top? Very interested in how you did this as a Jax player

Me too. In my experience Jax gets shat on by Malphite.

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes