About Quinn's sexuality.........

Recently I've been seeing a lot of conservation about the sexuality of female champs in their art and what not. Mostly been about how there has been more of a push to have less sexual and more "strong" characteristics in the female characters. While I think it's good to not have the female characters be scantily clad simply for the sake of being a sexual object, I think the notion that a female character can't be taken seriously unless they are covered from head to toe. Ironstylus, when explaining the design process behind Quinn, stated that Quinn's outfit is the way it is because she is a ranger and a solider of Demacia, and therefore would not put in any effort to look like a woman. While i agree with this I also think that a true solider would not also try their best to look like a man either. It kinda feels that way to me too mostly because she is supposed to be like this super agile ranger, yet at the same time she is literally covered from top to bottom in leather, it looks like it would be kinda stiff and cumbersome. The thought that she isn't a strong woman unless she covers herself completely is kind of sexist in and of itself don't you think? I mean why can't a woman be a strong female character while also wearing clothes that are feminine? Like Fiora for example. She is wearing armor on most of her body but at the same time she is supposed to be this proud strong noble. Do you guys not consider her a strong woman because she express her femininity? And also Miss Fortune. She is SUPER sexual, and at the same time she is this rugged pirate hunter who is supposed to be a rival of Gangplank. I just don't get why a woman can't express her femininity while also be considered strong

ATTACHMENTS
    • Quinn-and-Valor-Concept-Art1-610x339

In warfare, looking feminine is the last problem you should be worried about.

Look around, pretty much every game is sexist when depicting women except for a few, especially the artwork.

If I was a ranger, I would be wearing as little clothes as possible but at the same time, I'm really tired of every female champion looking like Sivir. Wish there was a 3rd option.

Oh god not this crap again. It's the "Vi should be male" thread all over again...

Well I'm not saying that she should be male, I'm just saying everyone shouldn't be high fiving each other because she doesn't show any skin. I just don't really know why that's such a great thing ._.

If Vi should be male, Taric should be female.

.gif

I agree with the OP. Fully clothed is not inherently better than not fully clothed, even in games where armor is common. LoL has so many fantastical elements that for a lot of people, impractical armor does not stretch suspension of disbelief at all. Others prefer more practicality in armor, and that's fine too. The hard part is finding a balance between the two. A lot of people enjoy the chainmail bikini silliness, men and women included. Same goes for the fully dressed ladies, and the big muscled men that are in the game. That being said, it's been a little while since our last 'classy' woman (Diana, with Vi, Nami, Elise and Syndra in between). I think it's the proper time to put a character like Quinn into the game, but there's nothing particularly "righteous" about the way she's dressed.

On a totally different note, league a dire need for more skinny, girly men. It's only Ez and Varus at the moment.

Er, I liked her design a lot, and agreed with the idea.    Quinn focuses around being Quinn.

It's the community that focuses around the clothing, so the Rioters felt the need to say "she's not girly! Look everybody!"

Quinn's clothing still feel a bit too "obviously a woman" to me.   Why not PANTS?  Why a leather Leotard with super high boots?  Can't she just wear PANTS?  I know it doesn't look as slimming, but damn it, pants are still pants.

You went and made me make an account for this.

What you are saying is that basically you want the female champs to look "like a woman" without being covered fully, but simultaneously if the female champ is not fully covered, then is a sexual object.  Why, may I ask rhetorically, are modern female soldiers - who see combat on a day-to-day basis - wearing tight fitting, flattering clothing?  Practicality.  In war, durable and flexible are the keys.  A ranger would be covered from head to toe, stiff boots for miles of walking, loose trousers for comfort and protection from brush, sturdy blouse, armor for protection from blows, a helmet - not a full helm, but more of an armored hat.  Even in very arid areas, modern soldiers are fully covered.  

My beef is that you - not necessarily you, RedFisher, but someone is going to make a stink about this.  If A, then why is it not B.  If B, then why is it not A.  I mean Gah, really?  Previous female champions and take on clothing: Vi (form fitting corset, but tough), Nami (boobs and no clothing at all), Elise (boobs, chitinous clothing), Syndra (boobs, essentially, leather bikini), Diana (Armor, practical and dangerous)

You get the point, there has to be a dynamic nature of the appearance and style of each new champ.  If there is a trend in one direction, there has to be a champ which moves in the opposite direction.  The complaint about female champs being over-sexualized, followed immediately by the complaint about Riot trying to make female champs less sexual.  I mean, really, we have Varus - who strides into battle wearing only a scarf -followed by Darius, kitted out fully in heavy plate with grey streaks in his hair.  I suggest you take champs as they come and quit complaining about something which has to happen anyway

keep the account, game discussion is always amazing fun.

Do not only create a new account every time you want to yell at people being silly on the internet, plenty of other silly things we do that don't involve clothing and sexist view upon them.

Basically, people are a lot more sensitive to female body type/clothing than male, and are more likely to make a big fuss out of it

Look at Malzahar, for example. He's ripped. He's a caster. You don't need to be ripped to cast spells.
    So this doesn't make sense. Does anyone complain? No.

Being "ripped" is essentially the male version of over-sexualization, but no one ever complains that a lot of the guys in league are pretty buff.

I can't draw, but I tried

I want to propose the notion that maybe Riot was limited in resources and could not make character models as different even if they wanted to. Now the female archetype is consisting of armored warriors, seductresses, yordles, child, assassins, and magicians. IMO, about 90% fall into the tall, busty archetype. It may have been too hard to create anything so different. Look at the guys, most of them are buff army warriors with few exceptions.

Another point, the art team has to sell the game. If none of the characters are appealing, they failed from the get go. I don't know many people the play urgot or trundle, so maybe the appearance of the characters also affects the appeal of the game. There are so many corridors to take now with the character design, and the creation of an armor warrior is something that is safe. Riot wants high quality integrated into their design, but they can't just dive head first off a cliff.

Quinn is awesome. The theme is more important than the looks, IMO. She is a step in the right direction. I loved Riven's theme. I just detest the bunny skin. I will never buy it because I just think it clashes so much with the theme. Riven went from a BAMF slayer to a bunny girl overnight. I love LuLu's design. If she wasn't a yordle, she would be just as good as a average height girl; "flat chest" and all. With a few tweak here and there, some of the "oversexualized" champs would be just fine. It's just Riot's decision.

We are just gonna have to wait for Riot to step into the deeper end of the pool and show that there is more to league. We could have some elder woman cutting up the league one day. You never know.

Last edited by JeyJ: 2/21/2013 2:45:36 AM

it's not that it doesn't make sense, it's that it's CRAZY

you're CRAZY

WHY DON'T WE HAVE ANY FEMALE ANTHROPOMORPHIC CHAMPIONS?   No, Shyvana isn't Anthropomorphic, she's half Dragon, that's a fictional creature!  Why do we got Spider chicks, Fish Chicks, and Plant chicks, but no actual animal chicks?  Would it be THAT hard to make Volibear female?  I mean, I like Volibear, he's awesome...but come on dawg, we're missing out here!   Not that I'd actually play such a champion, I'd probably ignore it.  But when we got ourselves a half man half Lion dude,  I was all over that.  Hell, we have TWO half tail chicks.  Nami and Cassiopea! 

But we got Alistar, Twitch, Rammus, Warwick, Nasus, Udyr(lol), Malphite, Maokai, Renekton, Wukong, Skarner, Hecarim, Rengar, Kha'zix. HELL, we got us a ZOMBIE and a SCARECROW here!

But the ladies? They got Shyvana, Ahri, Elise, Nami, Cassiopea, and Anivia.     I don't see no fur on these things!  Hell, add Soraka, she got goat feet at least.

Don't even get me STARTED on them crazy "Shadow Isles and Void" champions that don't have a female yet.  You got Hecarim, Thresh, Morde...and Elise.  She's awesome, I love her.  She ain't got the crazy head, I want more of the crazy head.

another one of these threads...

People like OP are too used to fantasy archetypes and the sexualisation that comes with it and when riot tries to budge the mould A LITTLE TEENY BIT, it gets weird for them.

She [Miss Fortune] is SUPER sexual, and at the same time she is this rugged pirate hunter who is supposed to be a rival of Gangplank. I just don't get why a woman can't express her femininity while also be considered strong.

Miss Fortune is a caricature of that kind of super sexualised femininity mostly found in the sexy female action heroine archetype with a little bit of Marilyn Monroe pinup girl mixed in with the sexy campiness of James Bond Girls.

Firstly, the name Miss Fortune is a typical bond girl sounding name: Pussy Galore, Honey Ryder, Kissy Suzuki, Fiona Volpe, Strawberry Fields, MISS MONEYPENNY????

Secondly, I wondered why she had giant 'handguns'. Its cuz they allude to her huge titties DUH.

I'm surprised that more people didn't catch that she is caricature like Sion is a caricature of Schwarzenegger. MF is a rugged pirate that wears lingerie in all her skins... really does that make logical sense to you?? Its doesn't and riot never intended it to make any damn sense but that's why she is one of my favorite champs. The silliness is just charming.

I could dissect OP's post all day but if you think more femininity = less clothes/sexy/tight clothes then RU PAULS DRAG RACE MUST HAVE THE MOST FEMININE WOMEN EVER!!!

You must have not seen a woman in fatigues or ANY kind of military wear. Now that's REAL femininity IMO.

Quote from RedFisher »

Recently I've been seeing a lot of conservation about the sexuality of female champs in their art and what not. Mostly been about how there has been more of a push to have less sexual and more "strong" characteristics in the female characters. While I think it's good to not have the female characters be scantily clad simply for the sake of being a sexual object, I think the notion that a female character can't be taken seriously unless they are covered from head to toe. Ironstylus, when explaining the design process behind Quinn, stated that Quinn's outfit is the way it is because she is a ranger and a solider of Demacia, and therefore would not put in any effort to look like a woman. While i agree with this I also think that a true solider would not also try their best to look like a man either. It kinda feels that way to me too mostly because she is supposed to be like this super agile ranger, yet at the same time she is literally covered from top to bottom in leather, it looks like it would be kinda stiff and cumbersome. The thought that she isn't a strong woman unless she covers herself completely is kind of sexist in and of itself don't you think? I mean why can't a woman be a strong female character while also wearing clothes that are feminine? Like Fiora for example. She is wearing armor on most of her body but at the same time she is supposed to be this proud strong noble. Do you guys not consider her a strong woman because she express her femininity? And also Miss Fortune. She is SUPER sexual, and at the same time she is this rugged pirate hunter who is supposed to be a rival of Gangplank. I just don't get why a woman can't express her femininity while also be considered strong

Oh god another one. What was the last guy's name again? The one who made the Vi thread that wouldn't go away? Cause 5 bucks he made another account to post this.

These threads are useless. They do nothing for the community. Riot is right and has been about generally every champion (although the Zyra teaser showing ass was a little over the top). Leave this topic to die so I don't need to stare at it for the next three weeks.

Preparing for the climb is scary.

For some reason I just can't get my heart into this debate. I have really no opinion about the sexualism of any character. To me it is not a bad or good thing in nature however direction it has taken.
    I don't say it is unimportant just that I can only see it as a part of the global character.

On one hand I can understand the community expecting something different from Quinn on an artistical point of view because it is a very sober style and maybe we were not used to it so much, on the other hand I like how she looks now, I think it's original and consistent while being well made in his own style so it all boils down to personal preference.
    But I also dislike how Riot defend their artistical choices on one hand it is true that she is consistent with her lore and has functional gear etc, on the other hand this is art and you do not NEED to make sense when you are making art, you have total freedom. I do not mean it is a bad approach to creation to give it some sense, just that it is a bad way to justify the end result, I am not sure everyone will get that, it is a faint nuance but an important one.

If I had to sum it up I don't think talking about what Quinn should or shouldn't look like is important because it just all depends on personal tastes, but I believe the fact it created such a vivid reaction is the ultimate proof she is a success as an art concept. The goal of art is not to look beautiful or ugly, the real goal of art is to induce a reaction that will generate an argument and some thinking around it, she hit right the spot on that.

Please, your are missing the biggest scandal here which is VALOR'S sexuality. We should waste time talking about that instead

I'm passing on this champion Ironstylus apparently made her in fear of feminist retribution.

My only , let's say, concern with Quinn is that they even gave her a man's name to emphasize her "nonsexuality". I mean, i don't get what all the fuss is about.

Last edited by SoundwaveVR: 2/21/2013 5:57:01 AM
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes