About Quinn's sexuality.........

First Feminism isn't quite as new as you think the word goes back to 1837.  Second the future is unpredictable at best. Yes hardcpre chauvinists and misogynists will die, and not as many will take their place, but men and women are still going to compete with one another in the work place, and men (who are not going to conveniently die off as a whole) are not gonna let go of their advantages (men don't like taking orders from women). The core of the problem is men see one another as teammates in this and women see each other as competition for husbands (ever see women fight to catch the bouqet at a wedding well men don't do that). Coalitions are not built on distrust or contempt for one another.

The other factor is at the moment China is going to replace the United States as the next superpower unless America does something about it.(as an American I hope we do) The Chinese are heavily influenced by Confucian ideas which can basically be summed up to "women should be seen and not heard."  Obviously that's about two centuries backward from what women have in this country, but superpowers set the tone for the world especially the developing world.

Anyway your kind of going in circles just come out and tell me what you believe and what you want(hopefully in regards to league of legends).

I ENJOY LEAGUE. CHAMPIONS ARE FUN. MALE AND FEMALE.
    *insert more blissful ignorance to topic at hand*

Question -- relevance?

One could hardly say League is realistic. Malzahar fading into ectoplasm when he dies, Ziggs throwing bombs 100 meters when they're twice his size, Garen spinning2win etc; these aren't going to happen. The word that we're looking for here is practicality.

Also, there weren't many female knights in the middle ages. I don't know what the ratio is between men and women knights, but needless to say there were enough to be relevant to medieval themed games. Even if female knights never existed, Riot could always make a kunoichi character, or imagine a female knight design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight#Women_in_orders_of_knighthood

Lastly, saying that China is influenced by Confucian ideas, or that men don't like taking orders from women are generalizations.

There may be some cultural or societal factors that push Chinese people or men into such positions, but as free-willed humans, we can do whatever we want. You might be surprised ;)

Edit: post 100, yay!

Last edited by Starfols: 2/21/2013 3:40:36 PM

Quote from TheAegine »

I ENJOY LEAGUE. CHAMPIONS ARE FUN. MALE AND FEMALE.
    *insert more blissful ignorance to topic at hand*

But I want to farm posts for shiny new forum titles :(
    /sarcasm

Yeah I give up. Let's not let this get out of hand like the Vi one

Inb4 "you ran out of arguments"

I can't draw, but I tried

This thread just seems to be making an argument for the sake of arguing.

I'm pretty sure the number one priority for character design in LoL is making sure that each champion is distinct enough from the forced perspective viewpoint of the game that they're instantly recognizable at a glance. Character model design only really fails if two characters look so similar in polygons/colours and textures that it's hard to not confuse the two on screen. Other than that who cares what they wear?

I don't and my dog certainly doesn't either - she's a 2k ELO collie/blue heeler cross who mains Rengar (jks, she plays Nasus ofc).

Let this thread die already

It went from the original topic to an argument about women's rights, and it's going to turn into a Democrat vs Republican throwdown if it goes any further...

Thats it, the next champion that comes out I'ma argue is too Sexualized.

I don't care what champion it is!  If it's a guy, he's being too many and should be in a dress, if it's a chick she's too manly and should be in a dress!

And if he/she is in a dress, it's too girly, needs more manliness, and perhaps a shrubbery.

Posting in a stupid thread.

Quinn is fine.  There are many different types of women in this world.  Why do you feel there should only be one type of woman in LOL?  LOL has it's strong but feminine characters (Fiora, Ahri, Vayne).  It has its overtly sexual characters (Miss Fortune, Evelynn, Leblanc, Sejuani).  What is wrong with having a few tomboys thrown into the mix?  Really, what is wrong with it?  Quinn will be the 111th champion in LOL, if you don't like the way she looks, you will only have 110 other champions to choose from. If you really need your female champions to dress more like women (read: strippers) I'd direct you to select champions like Evelynn, Janna, Leblanc, Miss Fortune, Morgana, Nidalee, Sejuani, or Sivir who all basically wear their lingerie into battle and leave Quinn to people who prefer her for her interesting mechanics and gameplay.

Last edited by QUEXANA: 2/22/2013 1:44:59 AM

Fallen in love? Dude, you must be really fucked up to say trash like that. I'm off, keep debating this pointless thread.

Quote from QUEXANA »

Posting in a stupid thread.

Quinn is fine.  There are many different types of women in this world.  Why do you feel there should only be one type of woman in LOL?  LOL has it's strong but feminine characters (Fiora, Ahri, Vayne).  It has its overtly sexual characters (Miss Fortune, Evelynn, Leblanc, Sejuani).  What is wrong with having a few tomboys thrown into the mix?  Really, what is wrong with it?  Quinn will be the 111th champion in LOL, if you don't like the way she looks, you will only have 110 other champions to choose from. If you really need your female champions to dress more like women (read: strippers) I'd direct you to select champions like Evelynn, Janna, Leblanc, Miss Fortune, Morgana, Nidalee, Sejuani, or Sivir who all basically wear their lingerie into battle and leave Quinn to people who prefer her for her interesting mechanics and gameplay.

Morgana is not a stripper, she's just very poor!  Kayle gets all that fancy armor but Morgana's gotta eat, and if that means no designer clothes then fine!

And Sejuani isn't naked, she's clearly wearing a bathing suit, it's quite tame!  Even if it is just like underwear, it's not really underwear, so the implications ain't there, and without sexual implications you just have clothes, worn by a person, as it's what they do.  Seriously guys, clothes does not make the stripper.

Nidalee on the other hand...

Well, I wouldn't want to date someone that doesn't either study or work either. I don't know about your traumas but don't come and splat your experiences as pure fact. That you're a misogynist we already get - but don't be as hypocrite to use the "what I think should be the norm cause it makes sense for me" kind of argument.

Women are human beings and most are like you and me, people with goals and expectations. There are lots of men who're also social parasites that want to stick on someone and do nothing else than watch TV and drink booze.

What I can get from this post is that most people here are either teenagers or they think in likewise terms.

"Deeds, not words."

For me Quinn is awesome, as a D&D player I like how she feels like a Ranger, maybe too ornamented and "bird-themed".

It makes sense for me that she should be nimble and athletic, not a boob racket. We've already got Ashe for the "Sexy Archer" archetype.

"Deeds, not words."

Quote from ghettoman_X »

another one of these threads...

People like OP are too used to fantasy archetypes and the sexualisation that comes with it and when riot tries to budge the mould A LITTLE TEENY BIT, it gets weird for them.

She [Miss Fortune] is SUPER sexual, and at the same time she is this rugged pirate hunter who is supposed to be a rival of Gangplank. I just don't get why a woman can't express her femininity while also be considered strong.

Miss Fortune is a caricature of that kind of super sexualised femininity mostly found in the sexy female action heroine archetype with a little bit of Marilyn Monroe pinup girl mixed in with the sexy campiness of James Bond Girls.

Firstly, the name Miss Fortune is a typical bond girl sounding name: Pussy Galore, Honey Ryder, Kissy Suzuki, Fiona Volpe, Strawberry Fields, MISS MONEYPENNY????

Secondly, I wondered why she had giant 'handguns'. Its cuz they allude to her huge titties DUH.

I'm surprised that more people didn't catch that she is caricature like Sion is a caricature of Schwarzenegger. MF is a rugged pirate that wears lingerie in all her skins... really does that make logical sense to you?? Its doesn't and riot never intended it to make any damn sense but that's why she is one of my favorite champs. The silliness is just charming.

I could dissect OP's post all day but if you think more femininity = less clothes/sexy/tight clothes then RU PAULS DRAG RACE MUST HAVE THE MOST FEMININE WOMEN EVER!!!

You must have not seen a woman in fatigues or ANY kind of military wear. Now that's REAL femininity IMO.

Honestly, why do people care so much champion sexual this or that. I was gonna post more but this guy already summed it up really well.

There really has never been a reason for people to complain about half naked characters. It's a popular cartoon/anime theme that's been around for decades.

It's not hurting anyone for designers to make half naked women or half naked men either. Parent's don't like their 9 year old child playing a game with characters like so? Then just pull'em off the game don't bitch about it. Free world, free expression. Watch your child better, raise'em properly.

As for anyone who thinks real women get offended by half naked female characters in this game.. The majority of girls around this player-base's age of 14-34 wear booty shorts that show their ass and barely cover their crotch area. They wear small skin tight shirts and/or shirts that do not cover their mid section. They wear makeup to look sexier. They try to appeal as much as possible in a sexually attractive manner. 
    Why does no one complain about girls of all ages at the beach who can be wearing literally almost nothing with the bikini's they have these days? Showing literally everything these days. Children go to beaches and see these girls like this, including their sister's and mother's nearly completely naked with barely anything covering them. It's okay because it's the beach but it's not okay when characters in online games are wearing a bit more than that but still show skin? lol.

It's just people being people. No one is ever happy.
    Let's just hope Riot doesn't try too hard to sell out and promote this game for every type of viewer in the world(little children) because then they'll end up re-drawing every character to be more "appropriate", and every new character will look more "appropriate" as well.
    I don't give 2 shits if realistically some half naked mage chic like Morgana isn't wearing much.
    1.) It's a fictional video game.
    2.) It's fantasy based, everything imaginable can be bent differently here. No one gives 2 shits about being realistic in sense with our world, as this is anything BUT our kind of world in the real world.
    3.) All the design of clothing and fashion should do for a character is tell you the type of person they are, where they are from, etc. Shouldn't have to be nerfed out and forced to be drawn differently for specific people.

So any media product made mostly by heterosexual men (who make up the majority of the tech sector so I'm guessing this is the case with Riot) tends to enforce a heterosexual male perspective. As such, when designing characters, these characters mostly tend to appeal to straight men - both the male and the female characters.

Men are idealised. They're muscular and athletic, regardless of profession or occupation. They're frequently shirtless because shirtlessness emphasises muscularity which denotes strength, power and toughness. Often they wield improbably huge weapons because of Freud. Male characters tend to be badasses, because that's what straight men (in general) aspire to. At the same time, there's room for a lot of different designs here because straight men are much more familiar with men than women, and thus respond more readily to variety. This familiarity tends to mean that men also become the "default" - any character that's not identifiably human tends to be male, or at least have masculine characteristics and be referred to using male pronouns.

(As an aside, this is also why any argument of "But Tryn/Olaf is shirtless therefore sexualised!" is bullshit. You want an example of a sexualised male? Go read 50 Shades of Grey, or watch the Twilight movies, from which I've learned that what really gets straight women going is broodingly handsome tortured souls in need of someone to fix them. Straight people are weird.)

Women are also idealised. However, because men tend to be less familiar with women than other men, this means they tend towards one of three stereotypes - the sister, the mother and the slut. Sisters are smaller, spunky and cute. Mothers are wise, caring and beautiful. Sluts are provocative and sexy. Almost all the human female characters boils down to one of these three stereotypes, and as a result, female character design tends to stagnate.

Any deviation from one of these three stereotypes results in speculations of lesbianism. Any time some idiot talks about Ez and Taric being gay, someone's always quick to chime in with Poppy or Sejuani being dykes - the reasoning being that straight women want to appeal to men, men don't find aggression attractive, therefore any aggressive women must be lesbians. And there's so much wrong with that I can't even begin to cover it.

So then Riot releases Quinn and the male player base is confused as hell. Here's an ostensibly pretty woman with an attractive voice... yet she's wearing armour? Her hair is covered? She's not immediately sexualised? But... where's the fanservice? Straight male player thinks, what's in this female character that's for me?

And the answer to that is... well, nothing. Wearing armour reduces her outward appearance of femininity, but it's not an expression of masculinity so much as an expression of "I don't want to die". And that's fine. She's dressed like someone who's going to battle, and that's only a problem if you think women are incapable of going to battle, or if you think female armour should amount to a strip of chainmail around the boobs. 

My suggestion to you would be this - this is a character. Her femininity is besides the point. She is a ranger, she is a soldier, she wears armour, she has a honking great bird and lots of interplay with it. If you cannot relate to a female character just because she's not your sister, your mother or your girlfriend... it might be you that has the problem.

Last edited by aTomic: 2/24/2013 1:38:24 AM

Quote from aTomic»

Men are idealised. They're muscular and athletic, regardless of profession or occupation. They're frequently shirtless because shirtlessness emphasises muscularity which denotes strength, power and toughness. Often they wield improbably huge weapons because of Freud. Male characters tend to be badasses, because that's what straight men (in general) aspire to. At the same time, there's room for a lot of different designs here because straight men are much more familiar with men than women, and thus respond more readily to variety. This familiarity tends to mean that men also become the "default" - any character that's not identifiably human tends to be male, or at least have masculine characteristics and be referred to using male pronouns.

I have to disagree here. Straight guys enjoying it or no, that's still sexualization, at least to me. A LOT of people like big hunky guys, and LoL has droves of them. Not all people that like guys like beefcake, but you can't discount those who do.

Also, there's a small contradiction here. You say that there is a lot of variance in character design, but at the same time they are always incredibly muscled (with a number of exceptions, ofc).

Imo, male being the "default" gender for monster champs is an entirely separate problem. So much so, that it probably deserves its own thread.

(As an aside, this is also why any argument of "But Tryn/Olaf is shirtless therefore sexualised!" is bullshit. You want an example of a sexualised male? Go read 50 Shades of Grey, or watch the Twilight movies, from which I've learned that what really gets straight women going is broodingly handsome tortured souls in need of someone to fix them. Straight people are weird.)

Saying that Edward Cullen is a male sex icon is like saying Ke$ha is a female sex icon. I'm sure some will continue endorsing their inexplicable popularity, but the rest of us will be here gagging :X

Women are also idealised. However, because men tend to be less familiar with women than other men, this means they tend towards one of three stereotypes - the sister, the mother and the slut. Sisters are smaller, spunky and cute. Mothers are wise, caring and beautiful. Sluts are provocative and sexy. Almost all the human female characters boils down to one of these three stereotypes, and as a result, female character design tends to stagnate.

An interesting theory. To whom is it attributed? Could a parallel be drawn between the male character archetypes?

Any deviation from one of these three stereotypes results in speculations of lesbianism. Any time some idiot talks about Ez and Taric being gay, someone's always quick to chime in with Poppy or Sejuani being dykes - the reasoning being that straight women want to appeal to men, men don't find aggression attractive, therefore any aggressive women must be lesbians. And there's so much wrong with that I can't even begin to cover it.

I've never had that happen actually. I've heard Poppy lesbian jokes before, but the only time I heard that Sej was gay was when a lesbian that I know said she had a crush on her. I'll keep an eye out though.

So then Riot releases Quinn and the male player base is confused as hell. Here's an ostensibly pretty woman with an attractive voice... yet she's wearing armour? Her hair is covered? She's not immediately sexualised? But... where's the fanservice? Straight male player thinks, what's in this female character that's for me?

And the answer to that is... well, nothing. Wearing armour reduces her outward appearance of femininity, but it's not an expression of masculinity so much as an expression of "I don't want to die". And that's fine. She's dressed like someone who's going to battle, and that's only a problem if you think women are incapable of going to battle, or if you think female armour should amount to a strip of chainmail around the boobs. 

My suggestion to you would be this - this is a character. Her femininity is besides the point. She is a ranger, she is a soldier, she wears armour, she has a honking great bird and lots of interplay with it. If you cannot relate to a female character just because she's not your sister, your mother or your girlfriend... it might be you that has the problem.

I'm fairly certain everyone in this forum likes Quinn so far. The discussion is over whether her armor is inherently superior to the chainmail bikinis or not.

I have to disagree here. Straight guys enjoying it or no, that's still sexualization, at least to me. A LOT of people like big hunky guys, and LoL has droves of them. Not all people that like guys like beefcake, but you can't discount those who do.

I am a gay man and I love me some beefcake, but that's not what that is. The kind of exaggerated musculature you see with champs like Tryn and Olaf is much more in line with the kind of dude you get in a Warhammer setting. Pentakill Olaf is a great example of this - you look at the splash art, and he's just incredibly buff, but there's nothing sexual or inviting about the picture - he's buff for the purposes of looking intimidating, not for the purpose of being sexually attractive.

Also, there's a small contradiction here. You say that there is a lot of variance in character design, but at the same time they are always incredibly muscled (with a number of exceptions, ofc). Imo, male being the "default" gender for monster champs is an entirely separate problem. So much so, that it probably deserves its own thread.

I genuinely don't think it is a separate problem, I think it's inherently tied to this. Male champion design is incredibly varied because you can count the monster champions, all of whom are masculine by default. Even if you limit yourself to human champions, that still leaves you with champions like Taric, Ezreal, Zilean, Gragas, Yi, etc etc. None of whom fit the traditional beefcake look. Meanwhile, the human female champion palate is pretty monochrome with regards to young, fit, generously boobed attractive women in their mid twenties.There are some variations but not nearly to the extent of the male champs. Men are the default. Female characters are ancillary and have to be attractive, or what's the point of the character being female? So goes the thinking.

Saying that Edward Cullen is a male sex icon is like saying Ke$ha is a female sex icon. I'm sure some will continue endorsing their inexplicable popularity, but the rest of us will be here gagging :X

I'm sorry, but hell no. Edward Cullen made a worldwide sex symbol out of Robert Pattinson in a way that Ke$ha could only dream of. My point is more that, when you look at what makes a male sex symbol, you're not looking in your local hardcore gym - you're looking at boybands, Bieber, movies like Twilight, books like 50 Shades. None of which appeal to me, but I'm an adult gay man and have had sex in the past (and hope to again). Women tend to need a narrative, a reason to crush. Men tend to just need a pretty girl with boobs. Again these are huge generalisations and apply mostly to younger audiences, but hey, guess what? The majority of the LoL fanbase is males under 25.

An interesting theory. To whom is it attributed? Could a parallel be drawn between the male character archetypes?

All theories in the post above are my own except where I've read shit and forgotten about it and can't remember who to credit. It's interesting though that you bring up the point about male character archetypes though. In media predominantly made by/for men, male archetypes tend to be much more varied while the women fit nicely into one of those three categories, but in media made by/for the opposite tends to be true. Dudes are dads, brothers and various archetypes of boyfriend. Women on the other hand are allowed to be, you know, actual characters. You see this all over the place in shows like Gossip Girl, Sex and the City etc. Women are their own characters with their own motivations and plots. In shows like Big Bang Theory, the girls are girlfriends and exist to complement the guys.

Aside: I know the second I mentioned Sex and the City 90% of the people reading those words rolled their eyes. Think about why that is. I am confident saying to 90% of you - you are a young, straight male, and you are populous in this game. This game is made predominantly by young, straight men. This is not an accident or a coincidence.

Last edited by aTomic: 2/25/2013 6:50:45 AM

I am a gay man and I love me some beefcake, but that's not what that is. The kind of exaggerated musculature you see with champs like Tryn and Olaf is much more in line with the kind of dude you get in a Warhammer setting. Pentakill Olaf is a great example of this - you look at the splash art, and he's just incredibly buff, but there's nothing sexual or inviting about the picture - he's buff for the purposes of looking intimidating, not for the purpose of being sexually attractive.

To me, most of the super-buff guys are able to balance conventional attractiveness with the intimidation factor. There's nothing wrong with classic Olaf's looks, so I'm more likely to believe that pentakill Olaf's art simply fails to communicate that attractiveness. I know some people, despite that, are still attracted to him. Can you explain why straight male appeal, by necessity, has to preclude non-straight-male appeal?

I genuinely don't think it is a separate problem, I think it's inherently tied to this. Male champion design is incredibly varied because you can count the monster champions, all of whom are masculine by default. Even if you limit yourself to human champions, that still leaves you with champions like Taric, Ezreal, Zilean, Gragas, Yi, etc etc. None of whom fit the traditional beefcake look. Meanwhile, the human female champion palate is pretty monochrome with regards to young, fit, generously boobed attractive women in their mid twenties.There are some variations but not nearly to the extent of the male champs. Men are the default. Female characters are ancillary and have to be attractive, or what's the point of the character being female? So goes the thinking.

To me, the league male humans go from "clearly physically fit" to "incredibly ripped". Gragas, Zil and maybe Shaco are exceptions, obviously, but it's not a plethora of variety. I don't think females are entirely monochrome either. The body types of say, Irelia and MF are very different. We can put them into mother/sister/slut categories, but I'm sure the guys would fit into dad/brother/boyfriend categories, given enough thought.

I believe that when Riot makes a not fully-human champion, they see "female" as a trait they can add, like "tall" or "Russian". If a monster champion is female, logically they will add a visual indication of it, which is unfortunately almost always breasts etc. Yours and my beliefs share their roots in the same problem, but are technically different.

I'm sorry, but hell no. Edward Cullen made a worldwide sex symbol out of Robert Pattinson in a way that Ke$ha could only dream of. My point is more that, when you look at what makes a male sex symbol, you're not looking in your local hardcore gym - you're looking at boybands, Bieber, movies like Twilight, books like 50 Shades. None of which appeal to me, but I'm an adult gay man and have had sex in the past (and hope to again). Women tend to need a narrative, a reason to crush. Men tend to just need a pretty girl with boobs. Again these are huge generalisations and apply mostly to younger audiences, but hey, guess what? The majority of the LoL fanbase is males under 25.

I meant more that it's not fitting to say "women like/are aroused by/interested in _____", especially with something like Twilight or Beiber. I know they're popular to some, but they're reviled by a significant minority, if not a plurality. A lot of people hate Ke$ha, so I picked her to try and be a parallel. As you said though, it's a generalization.

All theories in the post above are my own except where I've read shit and forgotten about it and can't remember who to credit. It's interesting though that you bring up the point about male character archetypes though. In media predominantly made by/for men, male archetypes tend to be much more varied while the women fit nicely into one of those three categories, but in media made by/for the opposite tends to be true. Dudes are dads, brothers and various archetypes of boyfriend. Women on the other hand are allowed to be, you know, actual characters. You see this all over the place in shows like Gossip Girl, Sex and the City etc. Women are their own characters with their own motivations and plots. In shows like Big Bang Theory, the girls are girlfriends and exist to complement the guys.

Fair enough. That sounds logical to me, albeit it sounds like it's more of a writing problem than a visual problem.

To me, most of the super-buff guys are able to balance conventional attractiveness with the intimidation factor. There's nothing wrong with classic Olaf's looks, so I'm more likely to believe that pentakill Olaf's art simply fails to communicate that attractiveness. I know some people, despite that, are still attracted to him. Can you explain why straight male appeal, by necessity, has to preclude non-straight-male appeal?
    I don't think it does, but it's about intent. With champions like Sona, the primary intent is to present a beautiful, busty inviting female characters. With champions like Olaf, the primary intention is to appear intimidating. Any sexual appeal is secondary - whereas sex appeal (or at least attractiveness) seems to almost always be the primary intent of female character design. That gets old.
    To me, the league male humans go from "clearly physically fit" to "incredibly ripped". Gragas, Zil and maybe Shaco are exceptions, obviously, but it's not a plethora of variety. I don't think females are entirely monochrome either. The body types of say, Irelia and MF are very different. We can put them into mother/sister/slut categories, but I'm sure the guys would fit into dad/brother/boyfriend categories, given enough thought.
    The difference is - you can't tell the body types of a lot of male characters for certain, because they have too many clothes on. You can infer athleticism on characters like Garen, but that's implicit. Female character's body shapes are always explicit because their outfits are either figure-hugging or barely there. The men have Gragas, Zilean, Swain, Darius and Graves (who span a wiiide range of shapes and ages) and characters like Jax, Yi, Zed, Shen and Viktor, whose designs are all human but don't feel the need to explicitly state it. They don't become "monsters" just because you can't see their faces. The human women, besides Annie, are all conventionally attractive athletic girls in their mid-20s. That's boring.
    I believe that when Riot makes a not fully-human champion, they see "female" as a trait they can add, like "tall" or "Russian". If a monster champion is female, logically they will add a visual indication of it, which is unfortunately almost always breasts etc. Yours and my beliefs share their roots in the same problem, but are technically different.
    Completely agree and think it's a crippling problem not only for character design in this game but also in most media in general.
    I meant more that it's not fitting to say "women like/are aroused by/interested in _____", especially with something like Twilight or Beiber. I know they're popular to some, but they're reviled by a significant minority, if not a plurality. A lot of people hate Ke$ha, so I picked her to try and be a parallel. As you said though, it's a generalization.
    I know, I was making generalisations for the sake of simplicity. Barely anyone I know is into Twilight etc (and thank god) but it is undeniably a female-rooted phenomenon.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes