This thread was marked as Locked by Dankaw.

Aatrox or jayce?

Was thinking about both of them and wanted to ask whic one is better. I guess now with renekton these are one of the strongest top lane champions. It's just my opinion. 

Jayce is strong i guess because he has that poke and if teh player can change the weapons pretty fast he is going to be pain for the opponents.

Aatrox is one of the strongest in my opinion because of the freakin' sustain. Although, played lane against aatrox as renekton. Kinda wrecked him. But the player I guess was a bit unexperienced. So if you would buy which one of these you'd buy?

As always sorry for bad english.

I believe the general consensus right now is that Aatrox is just very weak while Jayce is god tier at least in competitive games. I find Jayce requires quite a bit of practice, though.

Jayce all the way. Aatrox right now is not very powerful compared to other top lane matchups. I played against Aatrox in ranked at around gold-plat level and here are the results:
    Shen vs Aatrox: Shen built giants and chain for sunfire. Aatrox was of no threat at that point.

Malph vs Aatrox: Malph builds cloth. Malph wins lane.

Nasus vs Aatrox: A little bit tricky in the beginning but farming q under turret and whithering an all in from Aatrox made him useless lategame compared to my Nasus (I carried tp incase Aatrox starts roaming)

Riven vs Aatrox: Q-Q-W-E-Q = GG

Darius vs Aatrox: Q-W-E-Q = GG

Rumble vs Aatrox: His initiate with the jump is a pain in the a** but half the time it won't be up and it costs health so just bully him out of lane.

That's all I have for you. I don't play much top champs, let alone meet Aatrox in the match up. He pales in comparison to other melee carries and until Riot buffs his health/armor/mr scaling, he'll remain squishy if you build damage. He won't get much sustain when he's cc'd down and his autoattack nature is kind of frowned upon in this meta (where casters helping one ranged adc). 

SO GO JAYCE WOO

They perform slightly different roles.

I'm having huge success with Aatrox Jungle recently, having the proper teammates means damn that initiation power!  Team up with a Jayce into Power Gate and you got yourself some speedy initiations!  We just got out of a hard game with the amazing team potential of Jayce, Aatrox, Lulu, MF, and Ahri. The fed enemy team couldn't catch us down as we beat them in poke and disengagement.

Compare Aatrox to Xin Zhao.  They have similar kit's, and work in similar fashion. The dive in, Auto's only, MUST ATTACK ALWAYS BLAARG style.

Renekton is a heavy defensive tank whose ability reliant, he should naturally counter Aatrox's style.

Compare Aatrox to Xin Zhao. Stop and think about it. Think some more. Don't ever pick Aatrox over Xin Zhao. Or Jayce. Or most of top/mid laners or junglers. He's a cool char, I will play him, but he's sub-par when compared to most played champs.

Quote from ratzing »

Compare Aatrox to Xin Zhao. Stop and think about it. Think some more. Don't ever pick Aatrox over Xin Zhao. Or Jayce. Or most of top/mid laners or junglers. He's a cool char, I will play him, but he's sub-par when compared to most played champs.

I fail to see how Aatrox fails to be useful with that OP focus discouraging passive. Buy GA on top of that and GG! They either burn all CC on you to keep you useless (get tenacity mastery and mercs and you can shrug  it off np) or you will murder them one by one because they definitely arent gonna kill you.

Definetly getting jayce. I will practice him and when I play renek and jayce it'll be GG guys :D Atleast I hope so :D

Quote from assault_sloth »

Quote from ratzing »

(...)

I fail to see how Aatrox fails to be useful with that OP focus discouraging passive. Buy GA on top of that and GG! They either burn all CC on you to keep you useless (get tenacity mastery and mercs and you can shrug  it off np) or you will murder them one by one because they definitely arent gonna kill you.

Yea tenacity masteries and you are unaffected by CC, sure thingy. That's how this game works, you get 40% reduction of stuns and it's no problem. Like, standing there only for 1,5 seconds is no biggie at all. Also, you don't need to burn ALL THE CC to keep you usless. One good exhaust is often sufficient.

The only way Aatrox works is when his team is strong enough to hold on a few seconds of 4v5 so he can go in after initial burnout of various cc forms and burst, or when enemy team is stupid enough to go and duel with him one by one, 'cause he's really good at dueling.

For initiation and disruption I'd rather have proper tank, like Zac, and for damage and all-ins i'd rather have assassin like Kha. Aatrox is yet another melee ADC, which tend to work only in VERY specific situations. His problem is he has to autoattack to deal damage. Right now I kinda feel that he's worse version of Irelia - she also relies on autoattacks, but she got more reliant scaling with autos (if she only hits twice hiten style is still dealing true damage, Aatrox has to stack his attacks), she's got REAL "fuck CC" mechanic so it's hard to peel her, and I think she can build more tanky than Aatrox to deal decent damage.

I should add a little disclaimer - while I do think that Aatrox is strong on his own merit, he's got very annoying laning phase and he can work in teamfights (sometimes), I don't think he'll be good addition to many teamcomps. I just can't see it right now. On the other hand, I haven't seen all that much of Aatrox plays. Maybe in future people will prove me wrong. We'll see.

It depends more on what you want in a hero. If you're looking for an AA central tanky DPS, go with Aatrox. If you want a bursty jack of all trades, go for Jayce. Jayce would probably be the better choice though, considering how versatile he is. In a matchup between Aatrox and Jayce, if one gets a kill as Jayce, the lane is pretty much done unless Aatrox's jungler camps top. Jayce has a bit more resilience than Aatrox, and can still creep back up if he gets behind.

Personally I prefer Aatrox though. 

I personally think Jayce is a better champ.

Jayce is pretty much OP as fuk right now so it's not really a contest in terms of "who is better"; also he is much more versatile - the poke, the utility, the engage, the disengage - you name it. So probably after the nerfs coming to him he will still be the better champ overall, although we shall se if the nerfbat don't smack him too hard in the face.
    Also, you do need some practice to do Jayce hammerin' properly, while Aatrox is simpler - not claiming he's easy, I haven't played him yet, it's just managing 5 skills cooldowns and mana (well, before you get to the fully stacked tear), as well as hitting properly with gate'd Q is technically a bigger ordeal than just managing health and cooldowns.

One thing that aatrox is i think better is the blood well. WLike he doesn't have mana and the passive is very good early game. While jayce early has to learn how to manage his mana costs and farm till he can buy tear or later muramana. 

True, but people tend to underestimate third level Jayce burst. Or, for that matter, 6th level. You think - hey, he basically doesn't get an ulti and I do! Little did you know his Q and E are both rank 3 and if he slams you with it it's gonna hurrrrrrrrt.

It might hurt, but if jayce can't get the kill he's going to have hard time committing given Aatrox's high sustain, on top of the AS steroid and damage from his ult. Food for thought.

I say wait. He's in need of some buffs, so he may become better, as good as, or still not close to Jayce in the next few patches.If you want to buy someone like right now, get Jayce. He has everything a top laner can want except sustain.

Quote from Frexys »

It might hurt, but if jayce can't get the kill he's going to have hard time committing given Aatrox's high sustain, on top of the AS steroid and damage from his ult. Food for thought.

Well, we all know how Jayce works. You can't stand near minions and last hit properly 'cause you'll get hit in the head with mercury cannon and/or powerslam; you can't go all-in or him 'cause you'll get a smack, you can't trade properly especially when you're focused on AA 'cause Jayce unloads his whole combo on ya in a second then nuke-smacks you away before you can do 3 autos. Also, the pretty high sustain of Aatrox comes from autoing stuff, and if you auto minions you get shot by mercury cannon and basically you can at best go even in the damage/sustain trade.

Technically Jayce is on the higher ground, but well, it would all boil down to player skill anyway. But personally, as Jayce, I've never had any significant problems with anyone who's not able to do proper long-range damage and/or are tanky, and/or have good sustain - so the likes of Kennen, maybe Vlad, Ryze can be problematic (even though you can smack him away in the ulti), and most melees are screwed and has to cross the gap between the characters power level in-lane by player skill. Although I didn't fight any Aatroxes yet, so maybe I'll be corrected by experience :) (well I've met one, but he got DCed and came 2-levles lower than me and I used this fully to make his life living hell so that doesn't count).

Asstrox is just a worse Tryndamere. Trynd ult = potentially five seconds of free hits, Asstrox passive = you die and then you die again, congratz. 

So pick nurse Joyce. 

COWARDS DIE IN SHAME

I would (and will) buy Aatrox, because I already got Jayce :P

Seriously, though, that depends solely on the situation at hand. Depending on the character, Aatrox is better and the opposite does apply.

Let us picture, though, a Jayce vs Aatrox scenerio. Aatrox would, probably, win. Why? His sustain is stupid.

He can heal up pretty much every damage Jayce deals to him when he's farming. He have a powerful gapcloser, which can be a problem for Jayce, since he loses a bit of that security of farming from afar. He doesn't have any mana, while Jayce burns his mana pretty fast.

In many scenarios I try to imagine, I don't see Jayce bursting down Aatrox quick enough to actually get the kill. Plus, The Darkin Blade also has his stupid passive.

Though I am picturing a 1v1 kind of situation, with junglers applied, probably Jayce could have a fat chance.

I might be saying nonsense here, considering I have never played vs an Aatrox top when playing Jayce, so I really don't know :P

If you're wondering which one to buy, though, I'd say Jayce just because he's cooler.

Quote from ratzing »

Quote from Frexys »

Well, we all know how Jayce works. You can't stand near minions and last hit properly 'cause you'll get hit in the head with mercury cannon and/or powerslam; you can't go all-in or him 'cause you'll get a smack, you can't trade properly especially when you're focused on AA 'cause Jayce unloads his whole combo on ya in a second then nuke-smacks you away before you can do 3 autos. Also, the pretty high sustain of Aatrox comes from autoing stuff, and if you auto minions you get shot by mercury cannon and basically you can at best go even in the damage/sustain trade.

Technically Jayce is on the higher ground, but well, it would all boil down to player skill anyway. But personally, as Jayce, I've never had any significant problems with anyone who's not able to do proper long-range damage and/or are tanky, and/or have good sustain - so the likes of Kennen, maybe Vlad, Ryze can be problematic (even though you can smack him away in the ulti), and most melees are screwed and has to cross the gap between the characters power level in-lane by player skill. Although I didn't fight any Aatroxes yet, so maybe I'll be corrected by experience :) (well I've met one, but he got DCed and came 2-levles lower than me and I used this fully to make his life living hell so that doesn't count).

Agreed. I suppose what my point boils down to is how fed the Aatrox is. If he's fed, he stands a chance but he'll still find himself at a disadvantage. Building tanky would really be the only way to go, saving his dive and slow for when he gets knocked back (if he survives the burst with enough health left to effectively trade).  Regardless of all this, if the Jayce can't land a shockwave then Aatrox has quite a bit of breathing room in terms of trades. A dive in and a pre-charged W > E can get off a good bit of burst before the inevitable knockback. HF if Jayce's jungler is in the bush though.

I won't recommend that matchup for Aatrox, but it's not all lost if one is posed with the situation.

Whatever Aatrox players do, don't experiment by building any AP and maxing his double ratio poke first against tough melee champs. Thank you. 

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes