This thread was Locked by Dankaw.

Current thoughts on Nasus Top Lane.

Just wondering what the peoples thoughts are on Nasus in season 3. 

Currently Maining top lane Elise [So much fun]. Was wondering how well Nasus preforms in Teamfights during Solo Q ranked. Is he team comp Specific? Does he still run Similar build to season 2, Aegis, Triforce , Shurelia reverie?

Considering the Blackcleaver Change, would it be a good idea to fit it into the build? And finally would swapping Triforce for Ice gauntlet vs heavy AD Seem like a beneficial swap?

Nasus needs to stall his lane, and he needs to farm his Q. If he gets to do that enough and his team doesn't get roflstomped, then he goes out and wins the game for his team.

I'm not the resident Nasus expert, but if I'm not mistaken, he wants to build tanky since it's his Q that will be doing all the damage anyways. No, he doesn't really want BC all that much. Since he likes building tanky, that's a decent option (though he doesn't really have much use for AP IIRC)

He's very teamcomp specific, because he needs his team to be able to stall long enough for him to farm up and carry them to victory.

Here.

His brother is better though.

Mongol General: Conan! What is best in life?

Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women.

Mongol General: That is good! That is good.

- Conan the Barbarian -

I remember Scarra saying in an interview during the s2 finals that he felt Nasus was the only champion that couldn't be fit into a team comp of some kind.

As for my opinion, Nasus seems like a champion who relies the enemy team being nice to him. You know, not ganking him to much, not harassing him, not forcing 4v5s when he's in top farming. Oh, and not pushing the wave into the tower and hitting it, forcing him to attack you instead of the creeps. Any champion that relies on people being nice to him isn't a good pick as far as I'm concerned.

For itemzation, I would argue that Black Cleaver is a not a good choice in a lot situations. It tends to perform better on casters who have abilities that apply stacks, not just auto-attacks. However, it gives health and cdr, so it may an okay pick if you need some extra arpen against squishies. I would argue that Hydra is a better pick in most cases just because it works better with auto-attackers, which Nasus does a lot. Also, ICB is better all around. It gives armor, a sheen proc, and cdr. The triforce was generally wasted on Nasus and good players would hold off on it and finish it last. The phage proc is wasted because Nasus has his OP 5 second slow already. The crit and bonus movespeed is also almost wasted.

Quote from McJix »

I remember Scarra saying in an interview during the s2 finals that he felt Nasus was the only champion that couldn't be fit into a team comp of some kind.

As for my opinion, Nasus seems like a champion who relies the enemy team being nice to him. You know, not ganking him to much, not harassing him, not forcing 4v5s when he's in top farming. Oh, and not pushing the wave into the tower and hitting it, forcing him to attack you instead of the creeps. Any champion that relies on people being nice to him isn't a good pick as far as I'm concerned.

For itemzation, I would argue that Black Cleaver is a not a good choice in a lot situations. It tends to perform better on casters who have abilities that apply stacks, not just auto-attacks. However, it gives health and cdr, so it may an okay pick if you need some extra arpen against squishies. I would argue that Hydra is a better pick in most cases just because it works better with auto-attackers, which Nasus does a lot. Also, ICB is better all around. It gives armor, a sheen proc, and cdr. The triforce was generally wasted on Nasus and good players would hold off on it and finish it last. The phage proc is wasted because Nasus has his OP 5 second slow already. The crit and bonus movespeed is also almost wasted.

Scarra has weird opinions.  I am inclined to not trust him.

The main issue with Nasus is while he can be a very strong laner, he doesn't snowball very hard when he gets ahead, rather he just continues to push and farm until his Q becomes strong enough to the point where the risk of walking into an entire team is justified.

What Nasus needs are teammates that have inherently strong resistance to ganks and pressure, and he needs a jungler that is able to not only take advantage of a 5 second slow effectively, but able to snowball if fed kills.

Nah no Hydra, too much money for what it fives to Nasus (unless you can abuse the whole Q mechanic to get multiple lasthits from Hydra's Passive, but it sounds gimmick and you can only do that once you've purchased it, so not before mid game); just get Chalice and or Philo Stone during the laning phase (along with Tabi/Mercs (depending on your lane opponent), Giant Belt, Chain Vest and/or Negatron Cloak (again, depending on your opponent); then rush IG (asap) and Spirit Visage (or Zeke's if against AD only team and/or in AD heavy team comp; Shurelya's is ok too but on Nasus Zeke's is better imho). Don't get the darn BC on him because you need to stack it's passive to make it effective on Nasus, while Last Whisper is pure win with Siphoning Strike. Late game fed build: Mercs (lategame core) + IG (core) + SV/Zeke's/Shurelya's + Warmog's + LW + GA (/Sunfire/Locket/Scimitar/Maw/etc).

Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women.

- Conan the Barbarian -

Hydra does not grant multiple stacks on Q last hits, for your information.

Very informative, Thanks. 

Again, Bringing up the issue of team comp, I can only see Nasus fitting into a game where it's more tailored to a long laning phase, and the enemy team having an AtS dependant champ? 

Thinking about it abit more, Nasus really dont seem like a smart pick in Solo Q at all. The other thing I'd like to bring up is that most guides by Pros are aimed at the higher elo end of things, which in all honestly, I'm no where near. The general "To do, and not to do" Helps quite abit, but I cant see such guides being good for lower Elo games where team positioning and communication is quite messy.

I like Nasus's / Nasuses? Style of play, Maybe I should dust off my Renekton and see if it feels any similar, Although I really can't see Renekton having as much of a good late game as Nasus. Any recommendations on Top lane champs that are more tailor fitted towards the late game aspect?

One thing I learned about Nasus a while back is that he's a good champ to learn if you're trying to practice on controlling the waves of creeps and how pushed a lane is. Nasus of course has his Spirit Fire which can push or counterpush lanes, and if he can position himself correctly when trying to Q a creep, he can bait enemy aggro and get his creeps to fire in retaliation (which isn't as strong ever since they nerfed creeps in general, but still a lane mechanic worth learning). Learned alot about zoning and wave control when I mained him.

Also, imho, even though people are all hyping over the FG, I still think Trinity Force is the best option for Nasus (high utility and highest movement speed % stat for a non-boot item).

Nasus just wasn't in the right meta at the time, but he could make a comeback in S3 since attack speed reduction debuffs are even nastier to deal with than before, not to mention that junglers gank less now in general since they have to farm their jungle now. Also, have fun trying to gank Nasus once he gets a sightstone for his lane.

"Dont fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts, it is glorious even to fail."

Quote from A2ZOMG »

Hydra does not grant multiple stacks on Q last hits, for your information.

Ops you're right, my bad. Then, even more reasons not to get Hydra. If you want damage just get LW.

Anyway OP, yeah, the style of Nasus is afk farm, he's kinda "the Karthus of the top lane"; unfortunately he doesn't have a global presence ulti, so he heavily relies on not being ganked too much early, stacking up his Q and farming OP items to be successful. You can try to spend some gold and get an early Sight Stone to avoid getting ganked/camped by the enemy jungler, yet don't expect the enemy team be that much favourably disposed to let you reach such a critical mass (no one enjoys facing a fed Nasus).

- Conan the Barbarian -

Quote from Gyozoku »

I like Nasus's / Nasuses? Style of play, Maybe I should dust off my Renekton and see if it feels any similar, Although I really can't see Renekton having as much of a good late game as Nasus. Any recommendations on Top lane champs that are more tailor fitted towards the late game aspect?

I just wanted to let you know that renekton plays a bit differently than nasus. Nasus is much better late game while renekton is geared towards winning lane early and mid. Renekton only does well lategame if fed. (although black cleaver might have changed that quite a bit). In many ways they're very opposite of each other. Nasus is the type of champ that rewards you for farming up and staying alive til the point where you become a wrecking ball of sustained dmg through your q and tankiness through your items.

out of any other champ in the game, nasus is the champ i WANT to like as he is a dog and dogs are awesome.  i just think most of the common top laners kill him in lane and he doesn't recover well. that being said, a 6 item farmed nasus makes cujo look like the taco bell dog.

Nasus isn't terrible and becomes an unkillable if he is allowed to build up. He's always going to have issues with heavy harass lanes early, but he actually has a lot of sustain. His main issue is that his early game is piss poor and his mid game isn't much better. Overall if you want to carry in solo queue there are better champions to learn, but he can be a good pick against certain champions like Malphite or Cho that you know will be a farm off

Quote from Tuck359 »

Nasus isn't terrible and becomes an unkillable if he is allowed to build up. He's always going to have issues with heavy harass lanes early, but he actually has a lot of sustain. His main issue is that his early game is piss poor and his mid game isn't much better. Overall if you want to carry in solo queue there are better champions to learn, but he can be a good pick against certain champions like Malphite or Cho that you know will be a farm off

Nasus is an exceptionally poor pick against ChoGath, contrary to popular belief.

Under ideal circumstances meaning absolutely no jungle pressure, Nasus would have a pretty easy time farming into lategame against Cho.  That's not how the matchup actually works though.  7 out of 10 times, you're going to get ganked a lot in that matchup because if Cho hits a Q, and you get ganked, you're probably going to die.

And Cho actually snowballs this matchup extremely well if he gets ahead, which of course happens very easily if he gets a properly executed gank.  He is actually capable of zoning Nasus very well under his own turret with all three of his basic abilities, and he has high burst damage, TRUE damage in particular.

It's the same story in teamfights to be honest.  ChoGath is actually pretty strong at detering Nasus in teamfights because his Q is an extremely strong peel, and he inherently has high burst with which to nuke down Nasus and weaken him severely before he enters fights.

And Nasus's earlygame is really strong, to be frank.  He is able to consistently outlane Darius, Nidalee, Lee Sin, Kayle, and Yorick, all champions who are considered very strong during the laning phase.  The weakest part of Nasus is his midgame, where all the mages will focus you during teamfights and either nearly or completely kill you before you do anything. Farming against most champions isn't the hard part (most of the champions that actually beat Nasus are ones that beat EVERYONE generally speaking).  It's expecting the rest of your team to be competent enough midgame to not feed and lose lanes really hard, so that you actually reach lategame.

Last edited by A2ZOMG: 2/23/2013 7:08:45 PM

You should read the article with the interview of Hyfe.  It was posted not to long ago and Hyfe pretty much nails it so i don't have to explain.  I will ad my 2 cents though.

Building tanky on nasus is required other wise you would die when you are going for the carry.  Nasus has no gap closers so he pretty much has to run in there with his ult and ghost.  But Olaf can do that better because his ult negates cc.  Olaf can also snowball the lane where nasus can not. 

The only damage items I feel nasus needs is 40% CD and maybe a sheen or a LW.  The Tri Force was nerfed to much and gauntlet is aoe slow and CD!

Just because you are Nasus doesn't mean you can't leave lane, thats why you have teleport.  You don't use teleport to get back to lane but rather teleport on a ward when you are needed for dragon or a fight.  This becomes difficult though if you are ganked and fall behind in Q farming which will most likley happen if the enemy make good plays.  After you are dealt with, they won't be afraid of you if you teleport in because you are behind and missing Q stacks and delaying your late game.   Lets compare Nasus to Malphite now.  If for some reason you fall behind as Malphite or are forced into a 2v1 lane, you still have your ult that can change team fights and still do damage. 

I feel other champs can do Nasus's job better and much earlier.  It is difficult to stop a Malphite ult or an Olaf with his ult where as Nasus can be kited. 

The biggest problem with Nasus is how long it takes him to be powerful enough to do his job. In an ideal situation, you can farm to fairly high Q levels by twenty minutes, but that's not going to happen in most lanes, so you usually have to wait till at least thirty to be able to do your job well.

Before then, it's essentially farming, trying not to die, and occasionally teleporting in with the hope that you can take some aggro off your teammates and get Wither on someone that matters.

He's really not bad, but he'll never be a great option for solo queue all the time. There are definitely lanes and comps where he can do very well, but there aren't a lot of them. (I can say, however, that if Nasus gets ahead enough and uses Teleport aggressively to stay ahead - probably because his team doesn't need the help - he can easily 2v1 ganks when they come in if he's past level six. It's actually quite fun.)

As someone who doesn't play Nassus top, but has seen a lot of Nassus tops: Yes he's viable but if you play him the rest of your team will hate you. 

1st. For whatever reason Nassus seems viable now. Not "I can win my lane" viable but "I can survive this lane and farm" viable. So Nassus can actually do what he was designed to do: farm and farm and farm. 

2nd. We all hate you. We all hate you so much. See, once the laning phase ends the rest of the team gets stuck in a perpetual 4v5 for every tower and objective. We will basically lose all of these fights but if we don't lose them too badly, you'll become op and we'll win. That's not fun for anybody else on your team because even if mid or bot won their lane, even dominated their lane, we're probably gonna lose a 4v5. 

Don't tell me you have teleport or you're split pushing or something else. We all know you're not really split pushing. You're Nassus, you have Q, we know. We don't want you to teleport in, because at level 11 their Olaf is way stronger than you and we'd rather just have you keep farming Q so this will end quicker. The weakness of Nassus' kit is that he never really leaves lane and no quirky strategy is going to change that, it's integral to him.

So yeah, Nassus' early game is now strong enough to make him viable but his midgame is still weak. The only way around this is to have four strangers carry you through the midgame while you Q farm until you magically become op and we win. This strategy is completely viable, I've seen it work. We all just hate it because you've forced all of us to stall the enemy team for the majority of the game. We hate it and we hate you.

My thoughts? i hate it.
    Nasus is in his own little world till 20min into the game.
    AP Nasus Mid all the way man, zone the crap outta their mid and counter push like a boss with your E.

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes