This thread was marked as Locked by Dankaw.

What pushed You over the top?

Quote from KulliKekkonen »

1, I started to dodge 1/3 of games, that is when my team picks crap, the composition doesn't make any sense, they start raging and so on. This was the most important by far, you don't lose MMR when you dodge that game where your team has Fiora, Garen and Yi. 

2, Started calling my main role asap (stopped doing this though since I don't want to always jungle).

3. Watched some diamond support guides because you get the team bitch role so often. 

4, Stopped playing useless champions I like - Viktor, Urgot, Darius etc. No melee champions unless they have a gap closer on a short cd or double gap closer, but preferably a really good initiator tank like Malphite, Nautilus or Zac. Playing some Garen top is unfun and worthless, the enemy team will send their previous top to support just so that they can have elisejaycekennen against you. Playing Viktor isn't justifiable when Lux does everything better and is much easier.

5, More communication. More commenting on my team's builds because you have to stop that Xin from buying even more glass cannon items. 

Oh dear.

Quote from Wizzier »

1. Composition? It's a lottery to be honest, good team comp helps but doesn't win anything. It's up to you whether you take the risk playing with them or not. Mostly they play champs they are familiar with so... lottery. Mute ragers right away don't bother talking. Unmute if you have to after 10-15 minutes

2. Calls mean shit. You may have it or not

3. The only thing i find here useful. Learning roles and champions that are not common/ favored is a good way to climb lower tiers

4. It's funny how gold people jugde what champions are useless and what are "stronk" in solo q.

5. That works very rarely. They mostly have the "correct" build in their mindset and it's hard for them to adapt

Back to the topic

I was stucked in g2-g1 for a damn long time. There was no "thing" that boosted me up. It was constant playing, improving and slowly climbing. Once started it didn't end. After reaching plat 5 I've been constantly climbin higher and higher to today's score p1. Play, play and play. That was it in my case :)

1. I'm not asking for a perfect team comp, I just dodge ones that don't do anything, or teams that counterpicked themselves in every way (let's have a bunch of running melee champions against an amazing kite/disengage team with every lane expecting to lose!). I learned the hard way to trust my judgement on what games are lost in champ select - every time I didn't but thought I should have I got to regret it. 

2. Calls mean that you get your role slightly more often which is useful when you have one dominant role, some people just for whatever reason let you pick your thing over them because you said it faster. 

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlKV2irgjUk&list=TLu4NEAehmcg4 <- One single video that helped me win with Blitz. 

4. You are easily amused. 

5. I think it's more of a 50-50 thing, sure, I have had many an ADC tell me to shut up when I tell them they need LW not a second BT but normal people can understand simple logic like "Every one of them has a chain vest item and you're dealing no damage because of that. LW?". Of course most people don't even need to be told that. Anyway more helpful is communication to what you plan on doing on your jungle, do you build standard or are you building something that your team has to take into account for, do you need help (how many towers could have been saved if you just signalled that you can't hold it alone?) and so on. 

COWARDS DIE IN SHAME

Well, I've not really gone far in S3 [I've only played ~200 ranked games in all of S3] but for me, the leap from Bronze to Silver to Gold was:

Critising my own plays and constantly improving

Expanding my champion pool beyond just one or two champions, making me flexiable

Learning to play other roles than just jungle, that worked at Bronze where no-one could jungle well, but not at high Silver and Gold.

I spent most of S3 climbing from mid~low Silver MMR back to Gold MMR, because near the very start of S3 I had a HORRIFFIC loss-streak, most of them caused by premade botlanes dying a combined total of 10 times in as many minutes. Not that all of them were due to that, I know I cost some games myself too, and I know I'm far better now than I was at the start of S3. I've just not been bothered to ladder all that much when I was gaining ~4LP per game, and then the EUW server issues as well.

They're fixed, but I don't think I'll get to Plat, nor do I *really* care about getting Plat. I'm happy with Gold, and I'm not even sure I'm good enough to be Plat anyway.

Like what?

1. Dodging is for people without balls or when you know it's lost game already which are rare cases. In soloq it's rarely a teamcomposition winning the game. You certainly overuse dodging. Btw in diamond people respect unusual picks.
    2. If you want raise, you play what you're good at, not what you want.
    3. Every role is team bitch in 1 way or another. AD carry won't live long without protection. Assassin won't be able to kill anyone without team keeping enemy busy. Initiator gives his team time to deal damage. etc
    4. If you call champion useless, you've gotta be really ignorant. Ezreal was trash and suddenly became #1 contested pick (season 2). Akali was trash before Westrice achieved #1 in NA soloQ playing only her. Everyone forgot about Volibear, but Diamondprox proved he's great jungler. Every champion got their use, some may be sleeper OPs you know.
    5. Not commenting, but suggesting or asking.

Quote from Dankaw »

Like what?

1. Dodging is for people without balls or when you know it's lost game already which are rare cases. In soloq it's rarely a teamcomposition winning the game. You certainly overuse dodging. Btw in diamond people respect unusual picks.
    2. If you want raise, you play what you're good at, not what you want.
    3. Every role is team bitch in 1 way or another. AD carry won't live long without protection. Assassin won't be able to kill anyone without team keeping enemy busy. Initiator gives his team time to deal damage. etc
    4. If you call champion useless, you've gotta be really ignorant. Ezreal was trash and suddenly became #1 contested pick (season 2). Akali was trash before Westrice achieved #1 in NA soloQ playing only her. Everyone forgot about Volibear, but Diamondprox proved he's great jungler. Every champion got their use, some may be sleeper OPs you know.
    5. Not commenting, but suggesting or asking.

1. Well I disagree, there's no reason to play a lost game. Should I respect that Malzahar player who picks him against everything and loses the game because his opponent gets out of control fed? Why? Why shouldn't I just have dodged, I have never since S2 had a Malzahar in my team help win the game. I don't usually dodge just one guy though (other than a troll), because I hate waiting, roughly everybody has to fail their picks - which is more common than you perhaps remember in Diamond division. 

2. True, but I didn't say I was looking to raise because then I would have to practice my weak roles (top mid) in a harsher enviroment. 

3. What? Unless you're support main, getting that role is just the leftovers for the team bitch. Nobody wants it, yet you have to do it for the team. 

4. So you're saying Garen is really good and you're happy to see a Garen in your team?

5. What's the difference? "You have no defenses, hence you melt, please build some defenses before you finish whatever you're building out of dagger."

COWARDS DIE IN SHAME

Quote from Dankaw »

Like what?

I had a similar post in the past that I just dug up: 

Quote from TheDevicer »

I dodge. I'm not even ashamed to admit it. Double jungle? Team consisting of GP, Nidalee, Katarina, and Sivir? Flaming in lobby? I drop that queue in a heartbeat. Of course I'll be that dick that plays the waiting game and dodges at 1 second left. Why should I be forced into a game I have a VERY strong feeling will end up in shambles?

Someone opens up the picks and bans in last pick by typing in "MANTHEONE MID ONLY NIGGAS!", you bet i'm gonna Lolking his account. He turns out to be a diamond smurf? Let them man get mid. He's Plat V but has a win rate of 40% and has lost the last 15 games on Pantheon? Ehhh, think I'm gonna drop this one.

Excuse me guys, Imma go brew some ridiculously overpriced coffee while I wait my five minutes out and laugh over losing 3 LP.

^Exactly. Because LP don't matter anyway the incentive to spend 20+ minutes on a game you think is already lost just isn't there. Besides I started doing it after I heard some pro say something along the lines of "half the game is won in champion select" and it just made sense to me. 

Normals are for your goofy Zilean supports and whatnot, I have no reason to believe that's gonna do anything but leave a sour taste in my mouth. 

COWARDS DIE IN SHAME

1. Well I disagree, there's no reason to play a lost game. Should I respect that Malzahar player who picks him against everything and loses the game because his opponent gets out of control fed? Why? Why shouldn't I just have dodged, I have never since S2 had a Malzahar in my team help win the game. I don't usually dodge just one guy though (other than a troll), because I hate waiting, roughly everybody has to fail their picks - which is more common than you perhaps remember in Diamond division. 

2. True, but I didn't say I was looking to raise because then I would have to practice my weak roles (top mid) in a harsher enviroment. 

3. What? Unless you're support main, getting that role is just the leftovers for the team bitch. Nobody wants it, yet you have to do it for the team. 

4. So you're saying Garen is really good and you're happy to see a Garen in your team?

5. What's the difference? "You have no defenses, hence you melt, please build some defenses before you finish whatever you're building out of dagger."

1. If someone picks a champion in ranked, he probably knows how to play him. Everyone wants to win, especially in ranked, he wouldn't pick him if he wasn't confident. I rarely see people taking unpopular picks anyway, in all elo ranges.

2. Your choice, can't disagree here.

3. It's because of that stereotype support can't carry. People love to boost their ego, so they prefer adc/top/mid.

4. Same as point 1

5. Comment: You're being melted in teamfights like ice cube on Sahara desert. Suggestion: You're dying instantly teamfights, get some defences.

Note: I'm not gonna respond anymore, don't wanna waste so much time for so miserable effects like it happened many times in the past.

Quote from TheDevicer »

I had a similar post in the past that I just dug up: 

Quote from TheDevicer »

I dodge. I'm not even ashamed to admit it. Double jungle? Team consisting of GP, Nidalee, Katarina, and Sivir? Flaming in lobby? I drop that queue in a heartbeat. Of course I'll be that dick that plays the waiting game and dodges at 1 second left. Why should I be forced into a game I have a VERY strong feeling will end up in shambles?

Someone opens up the picks and bans in last pick by typing in "MANTHEONE MID ONLY NIGGAS!", you bet i'm gonna Lolking his account. He turns out to be a diamond smurf? Let them man get mid. He's Plat V but has a win rate of 40% and has lost the last 15 games on Pantheon? Ehhh, think I'm gonna drop this one.

Excuse me guys, Imma go brew some ridiculously overpriced coffee while I wait my five minutes out and laugh over losing 3 LP.

Dodging because of flame war or a troll is totally fine. Dodging because "he picked Garen/Fiora/whatever" is having no guts. If someone picks a champion in ranked, he probably knows how to play him. Everyone wants to win, especially in ranked, he wouldn't pick him if he wasn't confident. I rarely see people taking unpopular picks anyway, in all elo ranges.

Last edited by Dankaw: 9/1/2013 11:51:18 AM

What guts? Trusting that some random bozo is magically good with a subpar champion when your experience tells you that people just pick what they want whether they know how to play it or not. That's guts?

COWARDS DIE IN SHAME

If someone is in soloq and they are in your elo odds are they are at a very similar skill level to you unless you recently improved and are rising or you are trolling.  So if they play bad champs they and are there then they have the same chances to win as you would with a better champ is how I look at it.  I basically just never dodge unless we get 2 of a role there shouldnt be 2 of.

^Exactly. Because LP don't matter anyway the incentive to spend 20+ minutes on a game you think is already lost just isn't there. Besides I started doing it after I heard some pro say something along the lines of "half the game is won in champion select" and it just made sense to me. 

Normals are for your goofy Zilean supports and whatnot, I have no reason to believe that's gonna do anything but leave a sour taste in my mouth. 

My zil support 4-1.

Just saying :(

Quote from Rouche »

My zil support 4-1.

Just saying :(

Whats wrong with Zilean? :o

What guts? Trusting that some random bozo is magically good with a subpar champion when your experience tells you that people just pick what they want whether they know how to play it or not. That's guts?

You are not playing on the LCS to go for the most optimal / popular picks every game. Heck, I'd rather have a Garen than a Zed on my team, since my and my teammate's skill level is more suited to him. There are no "subpar" champions on SoloQ (besides Olaf, poor thing)

-

for me silver breaking factor was warding, map awareness and shen. I was blinded by thought that shen sucks top and all effort towards playing him good was wasted since the permabaning he gets on lower elos, so i started herp derp normal shen top for some time and then bring it to rankeds whenever he was open. in one game i even got quadra after FB on top and ult bot on 6 lvl. was quite fun :)

Last edited by Vlyyk: 9/2/2013 7:24:32 AM

remember, remember the fifth of november

I was in Silver 1 for a while, where I had good mechanics on top lane champs, but just didn't focus on objectives enough.

When I started to snowball my advantages by forcing objectives more often and warding deeper, I suddenly started playing a lot better.

I started playing aggressively top. 

First time I broke gold was because I played champions like Ryze and Miss Fortune and tried to get auto-Qs on the enemy all the time. Looked at my minions and went for it when they went for cs. Won loads of lanes off of that.

Since I tunnelvisioned on the lane my map awareness went down and I died to gangs a lot. I remember one game in particular where I died five times as Miss Fortune and still outdueled their Corki bot. I lost that game. Still won more overall. That was a long time ago.

Malzahar has an almost 52% winrate. He has many good matchups, many popular champions like DIana and Ahri highly dislike laning against him. (Source: LoLking) Gangplank in particular and QSS in general do not hardcounter Malzahar, since his damage is still very high, he often builds a Rhylais and his team should crush a Gangplank diving him like they should a Gangplank diving their Marksman. They softcounter him, but you can deal with that.

I get the urge to melt people with Malzahar every once in a while and have personally won every lane against a Gangplank who has tried to counter me with E+Voidlings and far superior waveclear. A total of three times or so. If you always dodge a Malzahar and he already is an underplayed champion, it's no wonder you never win with one. I realize this is only an example, but it illustrates the point.

Malzahar has a good winrate. Fiora has a 50% winrate. Master Yi has a 48% winrate, similar to Zed, Ezreal and Lee Sin. Garen is just below 50%.  Warwick has a good winrate, Rammus is beast. What you think of as bad or noob champions just arn't. This isn't a game with 40 champions. Lanes don't always go to the favored person, a 40% winrate still means it goes to the other guy 40% of the time. Nonstandard stuff happens all the time and it often does well.

If you want to dodge losing games, please dodge the ones you're doomed to lose, not the ones you have to play with unfamiliar champions or with a 5% deficit.

Last edited by someone010101: 9/2/2013 6:42:19 PM

MMR's rising and falling ~~ My Ranked Diary :http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1272649

I improve in waves and plateau for a while before rising to my next level of incompetence.

I started at 900 Elo in Season One and hung out for a while, improved steadily to Gold (1500 Elo) after I started watching streams and learning about the meta and wards and stuff.  I learned top lane and stuck to that when possible.

Season 2 I took a detour through the world of smurfing with a friend who was new to the game.  I taught him how to play and trained him up to 1500 with me.  I hit 1750 when I swapped to my main account for the end of the season, not quite Platinum.  This is largely due to me learning new champions and broadening myself as a player, I didn't invest myself into deeply improving in top lane.  I learned how to play mid lane so I can now play top or mid competitively.  That diversity helped a lot.  So that 250 extra Elo I gained in Season 2 is 250 in top lane for sure, but my Mid lane skills were easily only 1300 or so before the season and so I really improved about 450 Elo in the mid role.

Season 3 I decided to invest myself in achieving Platinum, I was really close the season before and I spent a long time polishing my play in both lanes to confidently stay at a Gold II or Gold I level.  I mastered Rumble as a champion, just thoroughly and completely have him figured out.  I also brought several secondary champions up to a high tier level of play (Malphite, Cho'Gath, Orianna), and I have a third tier level of play with Renekton, Fizz, Zyra and now ADC is a role I can play at a Gold level (used to be silver).  With all of this broadening -and- depth of learning I finally reached a level of understanding required to shove through to Platinum.

My game knowledge has improved, I feel like I can see the future and am a good shot-caller.  This is the number one advancement I've made, mechanics aside I learned how and when to roam better than most people in my brackets.  My rating reflected that and I quickly ascended to Platinum IV-III.

After languishing in mid Platinum range for quite a while I grew confidence and understanding required to push through to Platinum 1.  Again, shored up what I learned, practiced applying it in my games, and managed to hold on to Platinum 1 for a couple weeks.

Now I'm 95 LP on the verge of my Diamond promotion.  I have a lot more to learn, but I feel confident I have the self-reflection to continue improving at a reasonable pace.

Next season I'm aiming for Challenger.  I hear you get mad pussy.

The elo i was relatively stuck on for abit was like plat 1 just cause people in diamond 5 like to troll since you cant really drop from it. Other then that; once i decided to start doing ranked i found it easy. I was bronze for along time since i got it it my placement and then like never did ranked after that, and only really ended up doing ti in the summer. 

Ah hah, and I hit Diamond.

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes