This thread was Locked by Dankaw.

Counters to Taric

What are the best supports that counter Taric? I have had some success as nunu I feel like Taric still has the upper hand. Considering Alistar is banned much of the time, who works best against him?

Your reasoning is a bit flawed: the counter strategies bot lane involve the whole combo, not just the support vs support matchup.

Anyway generally speaking strong peelers that nullify his stun initiation are good counters to Taric (Nunu. Alistar, Zyra, Lulu, Janna, Blitzcrank, etc). This guide is outdated but you can still give a look at the Support matchups section. A bit info even here, in the counterpick section.

Mongol General: Conan! What is best in life?

Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women.

Mongol General: That is good! That is good.

- Conan the Barbarian -

sona can deal with him pretty well.

the counter to Taric is kiting. if u get lulu/zyra/lux who can cc him from far away, u can poke him down before he ever gets in range to use a stun

if you level up your heal until 4 or something and then you go for the W you can even handle a sona pretty well. i found lulu quite strong. a good janna also works pretty well

Thanks for the help guys

As a Janna player, I have to say that she is really good against Taric, as long as you let your adc get stunned instead of you. You can shield your ad from the damage, they have more pots to heal it up, and they eventually get sustain. Once they're stunned, you have two options on who to use your tornado on (assuming that you're not being ganked).

If the enemy adc is within range to smack yours, hit them with a tornado on their way to your carry. Your shield will block most of the Taric burst anyway. If their ad won't be able to get there in time, use your tornado on Taric. It will stop his burst and leave him vulnerable to a lot of free harass while he shamefully walks back to his brush.

Scatman Kyle - NA server

As always in these situations:-

http://i.imgur.com/boqQE.jpg

Hard disengage and heavy poke are both strong against Taric. Hard disengage neuters his biggest strength in lane phase; heavy poke crushes him because his heal is so pathetically weak and so mana hungry that he'll oom trying to keep his carry alive.

My definition of ELO Hell:-

"Any point at which ego is greater than ELO."

Quote from Bystekhilcar»

Yeah, I know that bottom lanes matchup thingy, GentlemanGustaf posted it once... To be honest, whilst most of the time I do really agree with you, I think that stuff is unreliable and personal opinion, and I value is as much as garbage: in fact it doesn't give any explanation for the choices it makes, so if you're looking at that to find a real counter, you probably don't know how to execute that lane to really counter the enemy support/bot lane combo, whilst if you already know, you surely already have an informed opinion on the subject and don't need to have a look at that matchup thingy for starters. Real insight of what counters what comes both from common sense and -mostly- first-hand laning experience.

Last edited by exacerberus: 1/4/2013 11:23:41 AM

Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women.

- Conan the Barbarian -

Taric, in my opinion, is def one of the strongest supports in the game and according to lolking has almost a 57% win rate even at gold elo. In my experience he has no hard counters, just has champions who can mitigate his 1-shot potential. People mentioned Nunu, Lulu, and Janna, and this is mainly because they have skillsets that can basically prevent your carry from being 1-shot. Nunu can iceball the opposing ad when taric stuns, lulu can shield, slow, cc, etc, and janna can shield tornado. These tactics don't really "counter" in the sense that they don't actually help WIN the lane, but they DO prevent him from stomping. 

Early man hunt deer, man with biggest club kill deer, man who kill deer get woman. Woman no hunt deer they stay in cave. Today, man build Trinity Force and do tons of damage. Woman no build triforce, have slow fingers as didn't hunt, woman have to play support. It's all in the evolutionary biology. 

I know its not that popular a pick for support but morgana crushes taric.

Quote from exacerberus »

Quote from Bystekhilcar»

Yeah, I know that bottom lanes matchup thingy, GentlemanGustaf posted it once... To be honest, whist most of the time I do really agree with you, I think that stuff is unreliable and personal opinion, and I value is as much as garbage. Real insight of what counters who comes both from common sense and -mostly- first-hand laning experience.

he used to play on AL, and is probably above 2k elo. 

on the other hand, i never understod why taric was a great support. bad heal, needs to get personal to stun, needs to literally be in melee range to use his burst thing, needs the ad carry to be close to follow up which leads him exposed to possible counter initiates and gets kited easily, most other supports have better cc than taric. on top of that his post-laning blows

Last edited by jabu69: 1/4/2013 11:28:06 AM

Thanks for that img, doesn't tell the whole story but it's nice to have that stuff.

Also taric is a relatively weak support if laning phase is over. You can always settle for that midgame and onwards with say Janna/Alistar/Zyra and they all can do pretty good against him in lane as well.

And yeah as Nunu if you engage with an iceblast on their AD taric is pretty much put in a limbo. If he engages with a stun and you iceblast it's even better.

Last edited by new_utero: 1/4/2013 11:26:08 AM

And remember, respect is everything

Quote from jabu69»

he used to play on AL, and is probably above 2k elo.

I know, I don't care, my point remains the same (edited because it kinda sounded a bit rude maybe).

- Conan the Barbarian -

Seems like whether Taric is actually weak or strong is controversial.

All I know is, Taric is one of my favourite supports and one with whom I win perhaps most consistently. S3 buffed him because his Shatter aura synergizes so well with Runic Bulwark; his Heal is weak, I agree, but between his Heal AND Armor Aura his sustain is actually fairly good. He can play safe or aggressive, he can zone well by holding Dazzle as a threat rather than initiating with it - and even lategame, a 1.5 sec targeted stun is pretty good. I just wish his ult was something like Alistar's (if not in raw numbers, at least in essential effect - something defense) but given how the rest of his kit flows, if he had that too he'd be broken.

It's true poke and kite are his worst weaknesses, but with proper brush control it's manageable, and the new SightStone helps with that too. Lategame as he transitions into a tank (though unlike Leona trades chain CC for his heal) he can still be useful, and his Radiance aura helps bring down turrets/inhibs much faster.

EDIT: Wow I posted so much but it's off topic..... as far as his counters go, the others above got it right. Janna/Zyra/Lulu/Alistar/Nunu all fare pretty well. I wouldn't try Sona however, that's a tricky match up, she has the poke but she is a prime squishy target for getting bursted down. Cost me a few games when I was Sona in that match up, so I know.

Last edited by Migotliv: 1/4/2013 11:46:23 AM

@Exacerberus (and others that posted mentioning it):

There was actually a document which went along with the image explaining each of the choices, the matchups, why they're counters/synergistic and how to play them. Unfortunately, it appears to either have been wrecked by someone or in the middle of being completely rewritten, which is why I didn't link it.

Still, if you want the link for later...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AllLJAxUt7qcdGxZeWM2bzZDZUh6djV3NDVrM0tGS1E&gid=2

So far the only explanations present are a few of the dual lane matchup explanations. Unless someone else sees something I don't. It's a shame, because it was really quite in-depth for a brief overview, but I suppose it was all written from an S2 perspective.

My definition of ELO Hell:-

"Any point at which ego is greater than ELO."

Quote from Migotliv »

Seems like whether Taric is actually weak or strong is controversial.

All I know is, Taric is one of my favourite supports and one with whom I win perhaps most consistently. S3 buffed him because his Shatter aura synergizes so well with Runic Bulwark; his Heal is weak, I agree, but between his Heal AND Armor Aura his sustain is actually fairly good. He can play safe or aggressive, he can zone well by holding Dazzle as a threat rather than initiating with it - and even lategame, a 1.5 sec targeted stun is pretty good. I just wish his ult was something like Alistar's (if not in raw numbers, at least in essential effect - something defense) but given how the rest of his kit flows, if he had that too he'd be broken.

It's true poke and kite are his worst weaknesses, but with proper brush control it's manageable, and the new SightStone helps with that too. Lategame as he transitions into a tank (though unlike Leona trades chain CC for his heal) he can still be useful, and his Radiance aura helps bring down turrets/inhibs much faster.

EDIT: Wow I posted so much but it's off topic..... as far as his counters go, the others above got it right. Janna/Zyra/Lulu/Alistar/Nunu all fare pretty well. I wouldn't try Sona however, that's a tricky match up, she has the poke but she is a prime squishy target for getting bursted down. Cost me a few games when I was Sona in that match up, so I know.

Sona beats Taric.  Taric loses to almost everything he can't kill, given he doesn't transition well into teamfights.

All Sona has to do to beat a Taric lane is max W and autoattack constantly tbh.  And later on the game he loses just by virtue of being a far inferior teamfighter and usually dependent on laning with snowball oriented carries. I've literally tanked full level 6 burst combos from lanes like Taric + Draven/Graves simply because maxing W makes Sona impossible to burst kill under normal circumstances.

Last edited by A2ZOMG: 1/4/2013 12:42:32 PM

@Bistekhilcar

I know, I remember that, GentlemanGustaf linked it to back up the validity of that match-up thingy, but my point was more about how "binary" - or, if you prefer, rock-paper-scissors - that chart thingy is. What I really dislike about it is that the available options are 3 no matter what, which is simplistic and most of the time based on personal opinion. Also, if for instance if you go read some support guides written by 2k-2,5+k elo dudes, they often have (slightly to very noticeable) different opinions on the very same matchups, especially in the bottom lane. So, if even they differ on this matter, there is no place for matchup chart that pretends to give highly accurate deterministic solutions (like: they took X+Y, so take Z+W, GG you'll win the lane) and leave no room to creativity, playstyle and Summoner Spell 2ble combo choices, mostly because hyping that kind of chart would just induce people that don't have insight on bottom lane dynamics to believe that all the counterplay break downs to rock-paper-scissors, where it's really a way more complicate subject, kinda like rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock.

- Conan the Barbarian -

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes