This thread was marked as Locked by Dankaw.

Ad Carry Tier list Season 3 discussion

Hey guys whats up, 

So I have been diving into ranked recently and seeing how I usually end up playing ADC, I would just like to know some general thoughts on each ADC and maybe rank them. 

Please give some thoughts on play styles and general tactics. I would love the advice and ideas!

im basing this on soloq and soloq winrates http://www.lolking.net/champions/

God Tier:MF

2nd tier:Draven,Caitlyn,Sivir(i actuall play her and i dont feel shes that good but m winrate says shes the best)

3rd tier:Ashe,Varus,Graves

4th tier:Twitch,Ez(finally the nerf),Kog(im confused here he had a much higher win rate on s2 and now his w is even better)

5th tier:Vayne,Corki,Tristana

even though i LOVE tristana im not sure she is that good in competitive, but i agree that she rapes vs uncoordinated teams and i do not agree on the negative attitude against her

"I have proven my might to dragonkind—what challenge shall humans pose?" - Shyvana

personal opinion.

Tier 1:Caitlyn, MF, Ezreal, Varus

Tier 2:Graves, Ashe, Draven, Kogmaw(he'll be flavour of the month soon, that % health damage is strong this season), Tristana

Tier 3:Twitch, Vayne, Sivir

The Tier's are ordered by reliability and overall strengths.

Tier 1:

Caitlyn: She's been strong for a long time but people are only just realizing it, massive poke in lane and insane damage output, she's very difficult to get out of position due to her high range, traps and net. Borderline tier 2 though, as her basic attacks are just about all she has going for her.

MissFortune: High damage in lane, easier farming, mobile and amazing teamfight Ult.

Ezreal: As long as his Arcane Shift is on its current CD and range, he will remain in this tier. He is incredibly safe and has high poke.

Varus: While he lacks an escape, he makes up for it with his % heallth damage and amazing teamfight ult.

Tier 2:

Graves: He is still a really solid pick, really tanky, with high damage output from his Q. Pair him with a Taric and you'll be crazy tanky and force the enemy jungler to gank your lane.

Ashe: She's borderline Tier 3. Lack of escape and bad laning phase.. but her Ult is great for initiating and her Hawkshot passive makes sure she snowballs into late game.

Draven: Highest damage output and great kit.. but somewhat unreliable do to how much more difficult positioning is for him with axe juggling.

Kogmaw: Weak early game but scales really well. Free Attack speed, AOE slow, % health damage and his poke from Ult.

Tristana: Good escape that refreshes on kill/assists. Healing debuff for 1v1ing carries and her passive gives her the longest consistant range late game, allowing her to stay out of harms way and kiting like a pro. She is however a late game carry like Vayne though not as reliant on her laning phase.

Tier 3

Twitch: while he has potential, he is easily ganked and has an unreliable attack speed steroid, reliant on poison stacks to deal equal damage to other carries. His Ult is nice though.

Vayne: Is amazing but unreliabe overall. No one carries like Vayne late game but she needs to do well in lane for that to happen, Thresh could increase her reliability.

Sivir: No escape. Clunky kit. Ability reliant so oom a lot. everything she can do, other carries can do better. Not to say she cant do well, there are just better, more reliable options.

Last edited by KesslerCOIL: 1/30/2013 6:20:41 AM

Varus is the worst adc i the game imo. his early laning is good, but compare him to the other early game adcs and its not even close. his ult is extremely over ratted, and his passive is a joke. 

cait ez and mf reign supreme currently. draven is a solo queu god because of his insane damage early, but easily countred by all in supports. vayne still viable along side kog because of the current warmogs meta. vayne also can be viable since 9 red pot starting is a viable option now. 

corki got hit hard with trinity nerf since he was the most reliant on the item, namely the mana costs. trinity helps his burst and survivabilty along with his mana issues. becasue trity was a great early game/ mid game item, an d he was a dominate early game/ mid game, average late game carry, it hurt him badly. 

so id say the tier list is:

1. Cait, MF, Ezreal

2. Graves, Kog, Twitch, Vayne, Ashe

3. Trist, Sivir, Varus

it seems the holy trinity changed from ADCs with easy escapes and burst (ezreal, corki, graves) to ADCs with godlike laning phase and sustained damage (MF, draven, caitlyn)

ez is still a beast.

so viabel in every teamcomp vs any botlane.

Quote from Lezaleas »

im basing this on soloq and soloq winrates http://www.lolking.net/champions/

God Tier:MF

2nd tier:Draven,Caitlyn,Sivir(i actuall play her and i dont feel shes that good but m winrate says shes the best)

3rd tier:Ashe,Varus,Graves

4th tier:Twitch,Ez(finally the nerf),Kog(im confused here he had a much higher win rate on s2 and now his w is even better)

5th tier:Vayne,Corki,Tristana

The trouble with basing this purely on win rates is that it doesn't take into account how many people play that champion. For example, Sivir is one of the least picked AD carries, but probably has a higher than average win rate because the people who play her can do so really well, and her opponents aren't used to playing against her. The same goes for the more popular AD carries - they're played a lot more, so people know what to do against them, and some of the people playing them will have picked them because they are popular and generally good picks, but won't necessarily know how to play them (or maybe even AD carries in general) well.

That said MF is pretty much godly right about now. I'd certainly put her, Caitlyn and possibly still Ez in top tier. Also, as an aside, Kog's worse win rate now could be the prevalence of carries with a godly laning phase (MF, Cait) and the fact that his own is pretty terrible (squishy, no escapes, short range without his W, which a lot of the time will either be on cooldown or will not be used to save mana). Together this means that Kog gets to his "kill everything from long range" end game much less than before, as he just gets shut down and bullied in lane.

So out of my experience so far I def say in soloQ that Cait,MF,Draven might be the best.

-Cait makes inexperienced people look stupid because of her range. People who are new to the ranked seen get stomped by her easily.

-Draven, I think a lot of people sleep on Draven because they think he is bad. He can put out some serious deeps accompanied by a coordinated support he can be a terror.

-MF, she has to be the SoloQ terror right now. Uncoordinated teams are just useless against her because she can sit back and just sail away on the team pun intended. I think she has to be the best overall right now. Plus she can really put the hurt on Ezreal which is always nice.

have to disagree, I main ezreal and I find ezreals poke plus his mobility usually allows me to win the lane even if my support is weak because I can farm with Q so the Mf has almost no way of bullying me which means coming out of the laning phase she isnt nearly as strong as she should be because she has to get kills or at least gain some serious advantage to be viable. Same goes for draven.

Obviously MF is the strongest right now though if you just want to roll through solo q but Cait actually might be better if you are in a duo especially with Nunu.

Id say twitch is pretty high up there, he has a strong laning phase, his stealth is great for picking people off (soloQ) and his lategame is also very strong.

Clunse art OP

I never sleep on Ezreal, but I do think a lot of people play him terribly.

Tier 1: Miss Fortune; Ezreal [Top pick Tier]

Tier 2: Graves, Corki, Caitlyn [Strong pick Tier]

Tier 3: Varus, Kog'Maw, Jayce, Vayne, Draven, Urgot*, Twitch [OK picks]

Tier 4: Ashe, Tristana [Bad picks]

Tier 5: Sivir [Don't pick.]

* Urgot technically isn't an ADC in the first place

Explanations:

Tier 1:

Miss Fortune: It's like Graves used to be, before the nerfs. Highly dominant lane phase, strong mid game, strong lategame. Seriously. It's the EXACT same problem Graves used to have, she's strong at every stage of the game.

Ezreal: Similar to Miss Fortune. Ezreal is strong at every stage of the game. In lane he can dominate with his poke, and he's impossible to zone because of Mystic Shot. He has multiple build paths [Gauntlet, Triforce, Normal ADC], so is highly adaptive, and, of course, Arcane Shift and Trueshot Barrage. He might drof after the next wave of nerfs crash into him. [Passive lasts a second less, Trueshot's reduction per unit goes up, and something else]

Tier 2:

Graves: Still very powerful at every stage of the game, just outshone in that department at this moment by Miss Fortune.

Corki: Similar to Graves, except he has a stronger midgame, but is one of the worst ADC's lategame, due to a lack of steroids besides 10% true. [33 damage per hit in most cases at absolute best]

Caitlyn: Is up here for her earlygame only. Her range and early damage are supreme. However, unless her support happens to be Nunu, she falls off hard later, due to a complete lack of steroids [Well, besides Headshot]

Tier 3:

Varus: Above-average range, despite claims he has no escape he's actually pretty hard to pin due to his AoE slow and his ult, high damage, master baiter with his W stacks, free magic damage per auto, hard to itemize against.

Also, people like to bash on his passive, but it's a better steroid than Corki/Ashe/Cait/Jayce have.

Kog'Maw: Here for the lategame. If lane dominators were not so strong right now due to the agressive meta, and he could farm more safely, he would be higher, especially with the HP stacking. Alas...

Vayne: See Kog'Maw.

Jayce: Strong in lane, however, he has somewhat short range, horrible steroids, and as an ADC, falls off compared to most others.

Draven: I liken Draven to Le Blanc. Horribly strong damage in lane. However, if you survive, he becomes completely useless. Even if he gets fed, he's arguably the worst ADC lategame, because he has to constantly stop attacking and reposition to keep Spinning Axes up, and without them he's an escapeless, short ranged, low damage, no steroid ADC.

Urgot: Here for the lane dominance, and abilty to shut down most ADC lanes again. Also, he's better lategame than before now, thanks to Muramana, Cleaver and Iceborn Gauntlet [Seriously, FH isn't better than this on Urgot, Gauntlet lets him kite, gives more mana, and gives extra damage as well as armor and CDR...]

Twitch - Average in lane, OK midgame, but can, in the right situation, dominate late. Highly dependent on teamfighting in the jungle.

Tier 4:

Ashe - Weak in lane, weak in midgame, weak late, damage-wise. She's purely utility and kiting, and with assassins everywhere who can jump on her and 100-0 despite her attempts to kite...

Tristana - At least she's a hypercarry, and her jump resets. Damage buffs on Explosive Active next patch may help a bit.

Tier 5:

Sivir: Short range, check. Severe mana issues, check. Getting nothing from the Season 3 items, check removed her niche, pushing, now any ADC can do it], horrible steroid, check. Horrible passive, check. Frail, check. No escape, check.

There are no redeeming qualities to Sivir right now. There is absolutely no reason to pick her over, say, Graves, unless you're running a double ADC comp. Which are rare, and will almost never be in SoloQ.

Last edited by raikaria: 1/30/2013 11:56:04 AM

I'd say there is actually really solid balance with the adc's right now.  There are three rather distinct groups in my eyes but they all have strengths and weaknesses.

The Good ADC's by group

Lane Bullies: Caitlyn, Miss Fortune, and Draven are huge lane bullies and will scale well enough if they win lane.  Some have to win lane harder than others (Draven) but they generally have the tools to do so.

Late game terrors: Vayne and Kog'Maw (Vayne might be a little weak right now I'm unsure) are weak early but if they survive they'll be fine, and at the moment they are strong early that a competent player can get through lane mostly unscathed.

Jack of all trades: Graves and Ezreal are mobile and hard to kill with solid burst and scaling.  Not as lane dominate as the first group or as scary late as the second but they fit a nice middle ground and are able to adapt into either role depending on the matchup effectively.

The ok adc's

Ashe: Has a weak early game, and doesn't have an insane late game (lacks a steroid).  But she provides a ton of utility (Slows, dat ult, vision) and guarantees some level of scaling thanks to the passive on Hawkshot.

Twitch: Maybe the snowballiest adc in the game.  He has burst early, but really can't dominate a lane without getting ahead.  Win he wins lane he can win hard and be terrifying late, but just isn't as realiable as Vayne or Kog for that.  And while he can burst he really has to go all in and since he's rather squishy can have it turned around on him easily.

Sivir: Strong lane phase (Q can chunk people, and spellshield is strong if you're quick), but has lot's of issues.  Mana is a concern, has short range, and has her only mobility buff as her ult so she can get caught.  The short range is what cripples her from being a widely picked champ if I had to guess.  But the tools she has are all really strong.

The weak ones

Tristana: Everyone knows her problem, her kit forces the lane to push even if she's last hitting.  A smart team can take advantage of that and destroy her.  It's a pity too because she has an awesome lvl 1-6 and is one of the strongest full build with her crazy range and insane AS steroid.  Also holding her back every ability scales AP so mid game she is very reliant on auto attacks as her abilities base damages deal a smaller and smaller percent of the opponents health.

Varus: This one is personal opinion with very little evidence to back it up.  Varus just has an awkward kit.  His passive is strong in theory but seems weak in practice (I could be way off base here I haven't played Varus enough to know for sure, but in my limited experience it was rather weak).  His Q is a strong lane phase poke, but awkward in teamfights (can't really take time to charge it).  His W requires you to hit opponents with abilities to detonate and two of his abilities (E and R) are best as initiates so you wouldn't have stacks up anyway.  His E is a good AoE slow.  And his R is a combination of Ashe and Morgana's ults that just isn't that good.  The spreading isn't reliable as it takes a massive 2 seconds to spread, and it's only an immobilize rather than a stun.

Corki: As others have said Trinity Force nerfs hurt him hard, and he was already hurting from the last round of nerfs.  Just doesn't bring much to the table that you can't get elsewhere right now.

Last edited by grapefruit21: 1/30/2013 12:28:04 PM

Wow. There's an awful lot of opinion disguised as fact in this thread.

My definition of ELO Hell:-

"Any point at which ego is greater than ELO."

Quote from CaptMo7 »

So I have been diving into ranked recently and seeing how I usually end up playing ADC, I would just like to know some general thoughts on each ADC and maybe rank them. 

You don't just go around ranking adcarries without their supports, i.e. kog'maw sucks! such a bad character!

Oh really? Ever heard of Nunu + Kog'Maw?

You see what I'm saying? If you want to rank them you would have to pick the best 5 ads and the best 5 supports and rank all  of the combinations. Then after ranking the combinations we could go back and start speaking about the character overall, but better yet, would be to then look into the enemy team as well, so~ 5*5*4*4 possibilities for just 5 ads and support (=400 btw) noone is gonna do all that work so ranking characters in the duo lane is really a lot of work

Sivirs winrate might be that high because the people who can actually play her sticked with it.

Personally i still love Corki, not sure why people are saying his lategame is bad... 10% true dmg hello? He does have his weaknesses and he definately no tournament pick, but hes not bad at all, just not the best in every state of the game.

Kog'maws winrate is so low because you speak about soloq... this is not his favourite environment.

Therefore its no surprise that draven is that high, because he can abuse random botlanes with ease.

I still dislike Caitlyn and shes still the only carry i refuse to play with. Her damage is weak and im not sure why people keep telling different. Her laning is good, but lategame she offers little, atleast this is my experience.

No carry is really trash, the weakest i can think about might be Tristana, and she got a huge range increase and a huge attackspeedboost, it almost hurts to say she would be the weakest. Maybe Ashe, but permaslow and arrow...

Honestly i think Carries are the by far most balanced spot in League... like super far.

Quote from PartyMagier »

Quote from CaptMo7 »

You don't just go around ranking adcarries without their supports, i.e. kog'maw sucks! such a bad character!

Oh really? Ever heard of Nunu + Kog'Maw?

You see what I'm saying? If you want to rank them you would have to pick the best 5 ads and the best 5 supports and rank all  of the combinations. Then after ranking the combinations we could go back and start speaking about the character overall, but better yet, would be to then look into the enemy team as well, so~ 5*5*4*4 possibilities for just 5 ads and support (=400 btw) noone is gonna do all that work so ranking characters in the duo lane is really a lot of work

you can see combined winrate at lolking aswell ;)

I know that i can see the combined winrates at lolking, however most of the people (all?) in this thread DO NOT USE THIS INFORMATION. They are just saying "HERPDERP MF OP" without looking at the supports she might need to be succesfull. Also some are using %winrate as the only criteria for their tierlist. This thread is all in all just spammed with opinions, bad inforamtion, missinterpreted information or the ignorance of the amount of information available, leading to it not being used. /rant

I hear ya there Kog + Nunu is really really good. Solo Q is silly though for that reason because Kog in solo seems useless because nobody ever wants to play to protect the Kog. It's like hey lets play whomever we want and ehhhh you're gonna play Kog cool..... Lots of frustration in that regard.

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes