This thread was marked as Locked by Dankaw.

Volibear FOTM in the Jungle?

So, I've been playing Volibear since I began playing LoL last year, and he was the first champion I ever bought with RP. I played him a lot in early levels, but as I got closer to lvl 30, I began to realize that he wasn't all that great, and pretty much stopped playing him. He was a terrible laner, and a slow jungler, with two mediocre forms of CC.

Now, all of the sudden, season 3 rolls around and pros are picking Volibear left and right. Diamond from Gabit Gaming was the first one I ever saw do it, and it actually worked! With the changes in season 3 to make single target junglers more viable, combined with the new health stacking metagame and his passive, Volibear is suddenly a viable option. (Note: Riot also buffed the fear duration on his E to make his jungling better.).

So here's my question to everyone:

Have you seen Volibear commonly in solo queue actually doing well? Or is it something that pros are only good enough to execute?

I thought that Voli was in terrible need of buffs for a long time, but now it seems like the metagame has shifted enough to where he doesn't actually need them anymore. Are there any Volibear players out there who've noticed this curious happening? Thoughts?

I havent seen him in soloQ yet but im trying him myself and he is MUCH better than s2 thats for sure, gonna try some more before i say to much but feels promesing indeed.

Oldschool gamer, gamer since birth

I think that in the case of Gambit Gaming they probably use Volibear as a scapegoat to hide some other tactic that they don't see any reason to use yet. The reason to believe this, is that many said that it was a mistake for them to show Eve mid so early before the World Championships because it gave the Koreans time to prepare. I think they are probably packing some nice surprise for matches where more things are at stake and where their opponent is actually on their level. As for Volibear in solo queue i saw him a little the days after M5 picked him but it failed miserably. Just because the pros can do it, doesn't mean you can do it as well. To be honest in the case of Volibear you can just pick Mundo who has a better later game than him and can peel and chase as well as Volibear and better.

EUW : Firion EUN : Teemo ate my pen

Current itemisation just works for him. He was always a case of hp meat shield with no resistances, well guess what, nobody really buys resistances anymore, so might just as well play the guy who was essentialy designed to do it. 

I played him quite frequently in season 2 as a jungler, and he wasn't that bad there either. Season 3 surely helped him out in the aspect of jungling.

The good thing is that you can build health and still deal tons of damage, and his dueling capabilities are very good due to his passive + execute, making him an extremely dangerous counterjungler from early on. His damage is highly underrated, his ganks are actually very good if your lane can provide some cc and his dance is one of the best in the game. He just is very strong right now.

Quote from FirionDarklight »

I think that in the case of Gambit Gaming they probably use Volibear as a scapegoat to hide some other tactic that they don't see any reason to use yet. The reason to believe this, is that many said that it was a mistake for them to show Eve mid so early before the World Championships because it gave the Koreans time to prepare. I think they are probably packing some nice surprise for matches where more things are at stake and where their opponent is actually on their level. As for Volibear in solo queue i saw him a little the days after M5 picked him but it failed miserably. Just because the pros can do it, doesn't mean you can do it as well. To be honest in the case of Volibear you can just pick Mundo who has a better later game than him and can peel and chase as well as Volibear and better.

Voli actually does more team-fight damage than Mundo, as far as I've seen. He's got a nice AOE that adds some extra damage, and a single-target nuke that does a pretty hefty amount of damage to low HP targets. Maybe you're right, and Gambit is just hiding something stronger, but Voli seems pretty strong too. Diamond went like 6-0-7 or something like that the first time he tried it. It seems like teams are picking him because he fits the health-stacking meta, deals good damage through pretty much all phases of the game, and adds a little bit of CC to the team. 

You are right, though. Mundo is a better chaser and peeler then Volibear. Voli just seems to be better at killing things, and with all the lane-switching and three man tower dives happening lately, Voli seems to fit the bill a little better than Mundo in a lot of cases.

I wouldn't say Voli does more damage, just different. Volibear will do a lot of damage in a team fight but people need to stick around, Mundo OTOH has a lot better poke. Those cleavers with Liandrys are insane man especialy with everyone stacking HP with little to no MR. 5k HP Cho Gath? No problem, 1/3 gone in one cleaver. 

True, but who actually builds Liandry's on Mundo? You do have a point, however, Mundo at least has some kite, peel and poke, where Voli has none of that. That's really why he only works as s jungler, because he's soc close range, and such a poor laner.

Volibear clears jungle extremely slow and isn't that useful late game in a competitive team. However, for solo queue his ganks are insane and he can feed kills to lane like few other jungles. I think he has his place if you like him and like ganking early and often, but I don't believe he is inherently better than Vi, Jarvan, or Xin Zhao

Its not that he is slow, is that he never , ever speeds up. OTOH i would argue that he is the best pre-6 ganker in the game, so there's that. I've honestly had several facepalms when facing jungle bears. With ward and flash you'd think you can be relatively safe, but , no. His Q gives propably the biggest speed increase available this early, combine that with his flip from hell, massive burst and the fact that he can survive most shitty situations that normally occur during ganks. 

Voli was picked in both the EU LCS games I watched this week. Pretty nuts :)

Some games you lose or win by default, you can't do anything about it. And then there is the portion of games you CAN influence.

-Lichtbringer

Voli dosnt clear super slow anymore since the AS buff, just try it

Oldschool gamer, gamer since birth

I got beat the hell up by a solid Voli in ranked the yesterday.   He had himself a Warmogs, Sunfire, Rayli's, Frozen Heart, Randuins......

He had like 6700 health or something, and was unstoppable as his damage was still decent.   My team lacked a proper late game carry, rolling with Caitlyn, and we lost a rather close game.

Volibear, despite being considered a terrible jungler, is very good in the item meta. That combined with that he already scales into mid/late game very well is enough reason to think that if they don't fail super hard, they'll become an issue.

I play Voli in Normals, rarely ranked, but I see good Volibears in Solo sometimes, and I'm not too bad myself.

"Tell you what. Why don't you just stick to not understanding how to jungle? Don't feel the need to expand your sphere of ignorance to the other lanes."

Sorry for the double post but this may clear up on his speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd-lOz4aooA

Seems EYEtriforc3 is right, he doesn't seem super slow but the issue it barely speeds up.

Last edited by AngelicSven: 2/24/2013 2:43:43 PM

"Tell you what. Why don't you just stick to not understanding how to jungle? Don't feel the need to expand your sphere of ignorance to the other lanes."

Warmog meta, spirit visage buff, madreds skipping wriggles being all the rage, recent base AS buff, single target jungle changes. It's all Rollin in Volis favor. I half wish it wasn't I've got my hands full trashing my list of current junglers (I realy miss shyvana D: )and rebuilding my roster with the current stable of top junglers. Voli is not only one I have little experience with its also one I don't own so gotta drop that sweet IP.
    Last edited by Gameguy301: 2/24/2013 4:15:20 PM

Volibear strength lies in early game aggression and s3 itemization. Outside of laning phase he becomes a large model meat shield(like full stack chogath) that provides zero initiation. Imo Volibear is FOTM/Overrated, there are still champions that does his job better.

Quote from WoundedxPaw »

Volibear strength lies in early game aggression and s3 itemization. Outside of laning phase he becomes a large model meat shield(like full stack chogath) that provides zero initiation. Imo Volibear is FOTM/Overrated, there are still champions that does his job better.

Especially agree with the overrated part. 

IMO, Volibear is more of a jungle-counterpick against junglers who are agressive early on at stealing things. Simply put, Volibear is one of the most dangerous early game duelists because of his AS steriod alongside a mini-execution attack, not to mention that junglers rarely have ignite to counter Volibear's passive. I use him as a jungler when I expect agression early on just by looking at the picks.

As for how he stacks up against Mundo, it's important to note that Volibear does at least have some form of hard cc, while Mundo has none, but Mundo scales better into late game while Volibear is a mid-game monster. Both are good picks IMO, just that it depends on your preferences since the only thing they have in common is the S3 item comp favoring health stacking.

"Dont fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts, it is glorious even to fail."

Quote from Gameguy301 »

Warmog meta, spirit visage buff, madreds skipping wriggles being all the rage, recent base AS buff, single target jungle changes. It's all Rollin in Volis favor. I half wish it wasn't I've got my hands full trashing my list of current junglers (I realy miss shyvana D: )and rebuilding my roster with the current stable of top junglers. Voli is not only one I have little experience with its also one I don't own so gotta drop that sweet IP.

Nailed it with Madreds and skipping Wriggles. I think thats the key thing that changed him, the 400 gold wonder that makes him  viable. The rest is just side effect, he had decent itemisation options in S2 as well. 

I don't know why it took me so long to figure it out. 

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes