This thread was marked as Locked by Dankaw.

How good is Janna Support?

My friend plays Janna alot in solo Queue silver 1. I was wondering how good Janna support is at bronze/silver and also at gold/higher elos.

I know she's good in coordinated teams/competitive play. I also heard she is good at higher elo?

• BrienWrightMale player

She's only good if the player actually knows what he's doing. If the player is a starter Janna player, he's deemed to fail. 

Alas, she also awesome with a coordinated team, with people who know what they are doing. 

Janna is fantastic but I have found that people at lower elo generally tend not to know how to lane with a Janna.

all i know is that janna+draven = 1st blood one shot lol other then that I also know janna's ulti is great for top fails

I've heard that solo queue tends to be more aggressive than 5v5 queueing? In contrast, Janna's early game is better suited to protect her carry rather than poke or set up kills...

Last edited by TIMsensei: 4/21/2013 6:03:59 PM

Quote from BrienWright »

My friend plays Janna alot in solo Queue silver 1. I was wondering how good Janna support is at bronze/silver and also at gold/higher elos.

I know she's good in coordinated teams/competitive play. I also heard she is good at higher elo?

She's actually not picked competitively these days.  Teams want things that help dives and hard engages.  Not only is Janna not really useful for that, she's a bad duo laner.

She's more viable as a solo laner given she's an excellent pusher and farmer, but support Janna is a thing of the past back when her shield's AD bonus persisted when broken.

To quote dunkey... Janna is the best right now

Don't listen to anyone that says Janna is bad and noused in copetetive play.  Wathc any recent tournment or lcs and she is used.  She is used in every bracket (korea, china, eu, na) .  but the way they play her is special.  Janna pales to other supports in the laning phase so what do you do?  Pro teams send her and the adc mid to deny the apc while sending a self suffcient carry bot like gragas or karthus with blue or sending the apc top. Janna Pushes lane really well and can shove mid for an early tower.  Also, some support players build her ap support by getting items like morellonomican (which is built from kage).  They do this so she can heal more, sheild more, and push harder.

Quote from A2ZOMG »

She's actually not picked competitively these days.  Teams want things that help dives and hard engages.

In the land of the dive meta the best disengage kit is king. Teams that rely on long cooldown mobility to initiate can be absolutely stonewalled by a competent Janna.

Quote from Robbyraidar1 »

Don't listen to anyone that says Janna is bad and noused in copetetive play.  Wathc any recent tournment or lcs and she is used.  She is used in every bracket (korea, china, eu, na) .  but the way they play her is special.  Janna pales to other supports in the laning phase so what do you do?  Pro teams send her and the adc mid to deny the apc while sending a self suffcient carry bot like gragas or karthus with blue or sending the apc top. Janna Pushes lane really well and can shove mid for an early tower.  Also, some support players build her ap support by getting items like morellonomican (which is built from kage).  They do this so she can heal more, sheild more, and push harder.

So she gets picked uncommonly in LCS, and what are her results?  She does pretty poorly.

All that I'm hearing is that she basically requires a team to be built around her to make her effective, and at the end of the day the tournament results show she's subpar. And yes, she's most effective with an AP build.  Everyone knows that.  Thing is, this ultimately means she's far less safe than other support picks that need less in order to be effective.

You can say all you like that x team uses some unconventional strategy to fit Janna into a team, but the results clearly show she's not that good. By the way, Janna isn't the only support that is good at counter initiating.  Others actually are better at it, she's just only good at running away for the most part.

Surprisingly enough, Alistar has done fairly decent in LCS.  Dive meta evidently favors him in organized play, because otherwise he's rather underpowered. And goddamnit, Tristana needs to be nerfed. Game was better when she sucked.

Last edited by A2ZOMG: 4/21/2013 8:00:40 PM

She's great fun in Solo Q. Just level that w first and spam it on CD. It's a lot of poke for a non sustain lane to handle. If they've got sustain you'd better have a decent carry to follow up on your pokes.

Also, Janna is a play-maker. Don't be precious with her when laning. Them long range whirlwinds are for girls, get up in their faces. She's boss. Treat her as such.

Last edited by beebop64: 4/21/2013 9:15:32 PM

she's ehh but if the player knows what he/she is doing, she can be the biggest playmaker in the game. she has 3 forms of cc and a shield that gives tons of AD . her w and her passive gives her amazing mobility to move around and ward and she's just pretty damn amazing in general

She is great against enemy aggressive lanes (thresh, leona). And she is great if teamfights will consist of the enemy diving your carry as the highest priority. Janna is the best champion i've played if you want to keep a priority target alive. She also counters jarvan nicely. This is all assuming your good with janna. A well timed tornado can cancel many gapclosers.

Then there's Lulu, who is arguably better at peeling especially during the early phases of the game, and also works much better in hard engage comps, and just in general does a lot of what Janna does except it doesn't suck during the laning phase.

Not to mention Sona who has a godlike heal and AOE stun ultimate, and Thresh who has multiple incredibly annoying disables that work well both offensively and defensively, on TOP of a lantern pull which can get ANYONE out of ANYTHING.

Yeah uh, not sure why I'd pick Janna unless I was sending her in a solo lane.  She NEEDS AP itemization to be good.  That's not exactly something that is trivial to afford duo laning.

Last edited by A2ZOMG: 4/21/2013 9:20:09 PM

imo she doesnt have quite as strong of a laning phase as lulu or sona or agressive ones, but she is by far the best at protecting a carry from ganks. Her offensive powers just arent as strong, though she can still punish out of position enemies. Her real strenth is in her teamfight powers, she really is the best when it comes to guarding and aoe disruption

Best at protecting from ganks?  Nah, that's Alistar.  If your goal is to cockblock ganks, pick Alistar. Hell, Taric is usually more practical for that than Janna during the laning phase.

And if I want a teamfight support, I mean, Lulu does most of what Janna does, except it doesn't suck in hard engages, AND it's excellent for disengages. She's probably a much better teamfighter than Janna unless Janna is super farmed (in which case she's only different from a farmed Lulu, not necessarily more useful, but a non-farmed Lulu is much better than a non-farmed Janna easily), and she also doesn't suck at laning.

Sona is also usually a better teamfighter than Janna as well if we're assuming we're picking them in 0cs babysitting roles.  Janna needs to be farmed to be practical.

Last edited by A2ZOMG: 4/21/2013 9:27:46 PM
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes