Olaf nerfed too hard?

Poll: Nerfed too hard or good where he is?

Nerfed too hard or good where he is? - Single Choice

• Nerfed too hard 96.8%
  • Good how he is 3.2%

Olaf used to be one of my favorite champion, but it seems like he was nerfed WAY too hard

Is it because he is a melee champion OR is just a straight up bad champion?

After this video ->   He because one of the worst champions in the game (or even the worst)

Like he does have a 42% win rate... I would love to feel what you guys have to say!

Last edited by Jesseklein: 6/18/2013 9:27:24 PM

Well... Not WAY too hard but pretty hard/a bit too much.

Nerfs were needed but they were too much. I hope he gets some love soon...

Oh and the link isn't working.

if u watch at winrates u have already lost ..... dont look at the winrates even before his ner his winrate was just 45% its not pretty high i think some of the nerfs was needed some not like i his undertw could be revertet back there are enough camps with a fast skillshot slow that can push a wave

http://i.imgur.com/MZ8Gjll.gif

Olaf has 2 things that a kit should not have. 

Infinite CC chain. And Ignore-CC ult.

The infinite CC chain basically says, 1 axe, gg, as the first axe landing slows them for the next axes.

Ignore CC ult means, you dont have any counterplay. "Am I stronger than you? ghost+R". Can you play safely against a perma cc, true damage dealing, unccable lifesteal spell vamping monster whose tanky items made him deal more damage? 

IMO, hes in the same field of toxic as many other champs so I dont mind him being "weak".

Last edited by Elmanbeastio: 6/18/2013 8:11:52 PM

I'd say he was nerfed a little too hard but they definitely were in the right place.

"Tell you what. Why don't you just stick to not understanding how to jungle? Don't feel the need to expand your sphere of ignorance to the other lanes."

The health stacking meta still rewards him.  What really hurts is the lack of free penetration.  He now needs 1-2 offensive items whereas before he could go full tank.  After at least two tank items, one of which should be a Randuin's 97% of the time, choose from: Last Whisper, Black Cleaver, Tri Force, or BotRK.  Most of the time you want to go for one of the penetrative items but if you're ahead you could build one additional offensive item.  If you don't need extra defense in lane, you can always build something like Giant's Belt -> Brutalizer and then sit on the Brute for a while.  Olaf also still does well on a low budget support-y build: Bulwark + multiple Kindlegem items.  

Nerfs were necessary for tournament balance, but they were way too much for an already underpowered champion for the other 99.9% of players. There's no reason to play Olaf anymore. If you desperately want CC immunity, even Poppy is a better choice. If you want to be a Viking, play Woad King Darius. I don't see this getting fixed without a rework. 

basicaly riot said that olafs power scales with the skill of both allies and opponents, in other words only in the hier echalons of competitive play was olaf great, and the lower you go in elo the worse he got, his win rates were never fantastic in solo que but he was a top tier competitive pick. but after the nerfs not even the best in the world will touch him, which is the very situation hes suppose to be strongest, so i assume that means hes garbage at all levels of play now.
    Last edited by Gameguy301: 6/18/2013 9:19:59 PM

Olaf is pretty much terrible as of right now and Riot knows it. But can they fix him to make him more viable while not being broken in competitive play ?

I personally think it is possible because every item he likes has been nerfed and they introduced botrk/liandrys which makes him quite a bit weaker.

His real problems are infinite CC chain, and his "not nerfed since season 2" passive(effectively making it worth more than what it was in S2).

However, his passive cant be nerfed that much, as there are people like ez who get 50% for free, jax gets more after enough levels, and olaf has a much more real risk than ezreal or jax for said passives.

I think you can give him more real power, and take away the infinite CC chain. I know people like unfair but he would probably be stronger than his current state if you did not have to balance around 1 axe = kill.

Last edited by Elmanbeastio: 6/18/2013 9:23:59 PM

fixed it

I don't really think that he is nerfer to hard, he's just balance up a bit, i'v played him a lot last couple of day and you can still snowball pretty hard and beast people 1v2

Olaf threads often turn out weird.

Basically, If Olaf cannot CC chain, he sucks. As such, many threads want the axe's slow to not go down over time.

Another thing is, Olaf is only good when he can 1v2 or 1v3. Thats just a ridiculous statement.

Hopefully, someone who plays Olaf can give some insight as to why he is overnerfed.

As it looks to me, he has true damage highest base nuke in the game. 99.9% free attack speed. lifesteal/spellvamp/AD steroid. and a skillshot CC that can be chained.

Id really like to know why people think he is weak and not just hard to play.

Quote from Gameguy301 »

basicaly riot said that olafs power scales with the skill of both allies and opponents, in other words only in the hier echalons of competitive play was olaf great, and the lower you go in elo the worse he got, his win rates were never fantastic in solo que but he was a top tier competitive pick. but after the nerfs not even the best in the world will touch him, which is the very situation hes suppose to be strongest, so i assume that means hes garbage at all levels of play now.

This really hits it on the head. Essentially Olaf was amazing in high level play, so much so that they hit him hard (probably too hard) with nerfs. Unless you have a strong grasp of olaf, he's really not the most effective for solo queue, as he needs a well coordinated team. He may have been nerfed too hard, but it wasn't really felt by players other than the pros. 

Quote from Elmanbeastio »

Basically, If Olaf cannot CC chain, he sucks. As such, many threads want the axe's slow to not go down over time.

Another thing is, Olaf is only good when he can 1v2 or 1v3. Thats just a ridiculous statement.

Hopefully, someone who plays Olaf can give some insight as to why he is overnerfed.

As it looks to me, he has true damage highest base nuke in the game. 99.9% free attack speed. lifesteal/spellvamp/AD steroid. and a skillshot CC that can be chained.

Simply not true, cho gath and darius do more true damage with their ults + the damage actually scales up with ap/ad unlike olafs.

Quote from jakeroberts164 »

Quote from Gameguy301 »

This really hits it on the head. Essentially Olaf was amazing in high level play, so much so that they hit him hard (probably too hard) with nerfs. Unless you have a strong grasp of olaf, he's really not the most effective for solo queue, as he needs a well coordinated team. He may have been nerfed too hard, but it wasn't really felt by players other than the pros. 

To further deepen the Nail believe everyone should read about.  Olaf's is damn impotent with the wrong crowd, have you ever teamed him up with the likes of Ezreal, Jayce, or um.some other CC-lacking AP mid or some such?  Olaf's horrible Axe was a ling shot nuke that passes through targets and always goes where you want it to land. This has the unfortunate side effect of making Ganking on him challenging, if you can't pick up the axe there is nearly no point to hitting it, and if you can't hit it why even try to gank?  His power relied on his ability to hit those Axes AND fight in them duels.  I mean difficult 1v1's in which Olaf acceled. 

They nerfed his ganking and slowing power with the Q nerfs.  Olaf's Axe was extremely rewarding at the cost of it's absurd difficulty. You actually HAVE to pick it up to get that CC Chain off!  The problem was it's power against the more mobility lacking champions like Darius or Leona. Those who can't dodge or run with Olaf in your face.   It needed some kind of nerf, and I think they went with the right one.

Olaf's W and E had cooldown nerf's, they just extended the wait period. I say that this ruined a lot of his power, he's no longer got the Dueling power, he can's level E and Spam it to get kill's, he can't even use W if he isn't leveling it, as that cooldown lasts far to long, and the nerf's to them made Q-First Olaf more popular, as well...Q wasn't nerfed yet. Then they nerfed Q's ability, so he lost the vast majority of his ganking power with this dueling power loss.

Olaf's Ultimate R, gave us that amazing Armor Pen and such...but I don't feel it was ever required. Sure it's a big nice chunk of damage, but the nerf's to E and W hit far harder.  The new ultimate also kinda rewards the wrong style of play. Olaf's now rewarded for going in with his Ultimate up, which is good, but discouraged to "save" that Ultimate for when he needs it, as now it grants that damage when he uses it.

Olaf's kit is extremely fun still, and is highly team reliant. He's damn fun to play and I wish he could make a comeback, but he's going to need buff's.

And Health is what Olaf likes to build, and hates his enemies to build. Dat E man, True damage that doesn't scale, if your ADC buys a Giants Belt, Olaf cries and stops using his E.

What he said

but also... my last game as olaf i didnt even use my e in just or in gank if i could spare it bc it would do so much damage to me

Quote from Jaxsed »

Quote from Elmanbeastio »

Simply not true, cho gath and darius do more true damage with their ults + the damage actually scales up with ap/ad unlike olafs.

Darius must get a kill inorder to use his ult more than once.

Cho'gath's ult has a decently long cooldown (60-70 seconds i think)

What's the CD on Olaf's E? Olaf also like building CD items like Visage and BC. Darius and Cho'Gath's ults maybe higher nukes, but Olaf E with ultimately put out more DPS. The cost on it is also non-existant once you get a Warmog, which I consider core on Olaf.

TL;DR Olaf ult might be weaker that cho and darius but it puts out more DPS

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes