This thread was Locked by Dankaw.

Frozen Mallet? Powerful or Useless?

Normally if I need some sort of cc from itemization I would be building BORK or Randuin's depending on what champion I'm playing. If I'm having issues sticking to a target because of something like Arcane Shift, Rocket Jump, or any other escape ability then Mallet isn't going to help me because I can't hit the target to apply the slow. BORK on the other hand has a decent range on it allowing me to apply the movespeed buff/debuff to catch up to the target.

Additionally most of the champions who are strong right now already have multiple ways to close gaps or strong cc to pin down a target so items like Phage and Mallet aren't as important or strong on those champions. If you really need excessive health in a single item you buy a Warmog's. Randuin's is always a better item than Mallet for a tank as it gives you a better effective health, a guaranteed slow when you get hit and an active that completely shuts down an ADC and other auto-attack based champions.

I agree with most of the members of this thread who've stated that as a defense item randuins is superior to frozen mallet. Frozen mallet to me (who plays primarily bruisers jungle first and top second) has always been a situational buy. Say for some reason a team ends up without an excessive amount of cc vs a team with a zac a gragas and a nidalee or something to that effect. It might not be a core tank item but it can really help out your team in these situations.

edit: on some champions as iceborne gauntlet is definitely the favorite item that fills a similar niche.

Last edited by TerribleEverything: 8/9/2013 3:18:19 PM

Depends heavily on the champion you play, but the item itself is certainly viable/powerful

its really situational, normally i see it on junglers after they build their wriggles and just sigh.

Frozen Mallet is usually a must buy on Vi.  You can also buy it on Range ADs sometimes.  That's about it though.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't bought it on Talon when I was stupidly far ahead and didn't feel like buying a GA or Warmogs.

Hai it's just me I am Lulu sware to praze Jebus I am

Most pleyed Lulu games NA.W. reel server

I hev playd 5 Lulu games am the best

Hep neu yare

Love your picture btw :P

Quote from A2ZOMG »

Frozen Mallet is usually a must buy on Vi.  You can also buy it on Range ADs sometimes.  That's about it though.

no it really isn't a must buy.... there are so many more items that are core.

I think for Vi it is better to go for Guantlet (CC option), or even for Triforce (dmg option). Especially since her E is amplificied by shen-like items procs.

Well, it looks... flashy. Sort of. Also bernkastel op.

On Shyvana, the mallet is a must-buy because she has problems sticking to champions who can kite considering she's mostly melee. Her MS steriod would suggest otherwise, but it has a long CD and it only lasts longer if you are attacking someone/something, but if you're using it to catch someone then that already reduces the amont of time it'll remain active. BotRK/boots/situational defensive item/Frozen Mallet is usually how my games go with her.

Other than that, situational buy on many of my bruisers.

"Dont fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts, it is glorious even to fail."

It's very strong on any champion that has a strong AS boost, the slow scales with AS and if you're only autong once or twice then its not worth the buy at all.

But ppl like Yi/WW/trundle I'd def say it's a great item. Notice how all of them also have SPEED boosts, which is another big point, if you have a natural speed buff you become   a good candidate for the item since you have no trouble getting to them but you want to keep them in range, mallet is the best for that.

Which is also why ghostblade + mallet can be a pretty godly combo on certain champions.

Quote from dead_ed »

Quote from A2ZOMG »

no it really isn't a must buy.... there are so many more items that are core.

Really?  What else is Vi gonna build?  The jungle items are not very useful on Vi, given she practically can't use the mana regen on the Spirit Items on top of the fact she basically doesn't need anything beyond Madreds to jungle.  Most support items don't make sense on her.  She needs durability, but gets easily ignored and kited because she has no stick power.  So yeah, Frozen Mallet is fucking essential on her.

And that's a bad thing, because it means she sucks lategame automatically. But it's by far the most important core item on Vi, because it addresses all her problems.

Quote from bryjson »

I think for Vi it is better to go for Guantlet (CC option), or even for Triforce (dmg option). Especially since her E is amplificied by shen-like items procs.

Gauntlet is waaaaay cost inefficient on Vi.  It basically does the same thing as Frozen Mallet except you use only half the stats.  Marginally more damage, only armor, and you have to rely specifically on your E to proc it reliably, whereas Frozen Mallet is applied on all autos, which is much better.

Trinity is bad on Vi.  You spend nearly 4k and get instantly bursted and you still get kited over half the time when you miss your phage proc.  That's pretty useless.

Frozen Mallet is a bad item, but it's core on Vi.  Vi needs durability and she needs to right click a target reliably.  That's what Frozen Mallet is for.  Vi's kit inherently does 500 million damage.  The problem is you have to actually be right clicking a nearly stationary target to do damage with Vi, and Vi is one of the more fragile champions in this game as well.

Last edited by A2ZOMG: 8/11/2013 12:17:45 AM

Frozen Mallet is def not a bad item, perhaps overpriced but when used in conjunction with other stats that slow is devastating. 

It's a terrible RUSH on anyone really. 

I mean tbh I wouldn't mind getting it on someone like udyr since he's pretty fast and can catch up to people well enough but just doesn't stick to people well at all. 

But again, the cost of the item is insane and should only be taken if it truly synergizes

the slow doesnt scale with AS what? It doesnt stack or anythin XD its more useful on someone who has good MOVESPEED, not attackspeed.

Quote from Daethr »

Frozen Mallet is def not a bad item, perhaps overpriced but when used in conjunction with other stats that slow is devastating. 

It's a terrible RUSH on anyone really. 

I mean tbh I wouldn't mind getting it on someone like udyr since he's pretty fast and can catch up to people well enough but just doesn't stick to people well at all. 

But again, the cost of the item is insane and should only be taken if it truly synergizes

Frozen Mallet is bad simply because it's overpriced, and not worth an item slot lategame statistically. Vi is one of few champions in this game that absolutely has to rush it in most games.

it scales with both MS and AS because someone with low AS won't be able to apply it as frequently

I do agree that MS + FM is a better combo than AS and FM though.

I frequently get Frozen Mallet on Master Yi if the team composition forces me to off-tank. Nice chunk of HP, some damage and the slow guarantees that once you hit someone, you keep hitting no matter what.

Signature by Somecallmetoast :)

Quote from A2ZOMG »

I never saw it on Vi, so probably it's not a "must buy" item for him.

Quote from B3hr7 »

On Shyvana, the mallet is a must-buy because she has problems sticking to champions who can kite considering she's mostly melee. Her MS steriod would suggest otherwise, but it has a long CD and it only lasts longer if you are attacking someone/something, but if you're using it to catch someone then that already reduces the amont of time it'll remain active. BotRK/boots/situational defensive item/Frozen Mallet is usually how my games go with her.

I know that on low elo it's a popular item, but that don't make it "must buy" on anyone. Well, when i was much worse player (about 1 year ago) i bought it alot for Olaf and some other champs because i thought it's a godlike item... after alot of try i just realized that this item is always a waste (and it was in S2, when FM was much better), i near never could abuse FM passive effectively, and i gaved up alot of things (tankiness, damage and CD redu) for that passive... simple not worth. And well, in low elo it's not a thing, but better players don't lose their lanes just because they died 1 or 2 times, it's most times absolutely managable, so if you use your advantage to buy FM your enemy will come back to the game much easier.

Last time when i saw FM on shyvana was about half year ago, so saying it's a "must buy" item is simple not true.

You can choose between buying an item that MAYBE (if you can reach him) slow your opponent for 3300 gold (best case scenario: About 4th buy, worst case scenario: About 100th buy), or you can buy a cutlass for 1400 gold (best case scenario: First buy (i assume you start with long sword 2 pot), worst case scenario: 2nd buy) that is better in everything and give you a garanteed slow when you gank. I never saw any good player buying FM for shiv, it's just waste of gold. (as on any champion)

I like to play with Shyvana, and i can't remember i thought about "Ohh fuck, if i buy that useless FM my gank would be successful" anytime...

Last edited by Melkonka: 8/11/2013 5:07:57 AM

i have not seen a FM built on anyone for the past couple month (besides when I am smurfing down at silvers or something)

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes