Vel'Koz Counter.

Since the new champion just got released, I am sure that every idiot in this game is going to rush ranked with him.

As a mid and jungle player, I'd like to be able to shut him down.

So if anyone finds a counter champion/item/tactic for Vel'Koz, post it here and share your experience.

Pretty any heavy dive combo/bursty assassin should destroy him. Imagine Fizz going all-in.

Or you can try to make a pissing contest and go also a siege mage like Xerath, Heimer, Ziggs and Syndra :P

So, Gragas' and Kayle's place? Good, Bad or Even?

Basing on watching his kit, seeing some gameplays and having a game vs bots? Gragas is going to get nerfed and he will have to play safe at the beginning and Kayle has equal/better range than Vel'Koz on her E.

I'd rather think of Akali/Fizz/LB/Yasuo/Diana/Fiora as his strongest counters. He's squishy.

I'd give Gragas and Kayle respectively 5/10 and 7/10 efficiency. Early game can be deciding.

Btw: anyone 4.2/4.3 patch midlaners tier list? :(

Last edited by MrDrus: 2/27/2014 3:02:11 AM

A champ who's got a bit of mobility and a long range poke.
    I think Kayle and Gragas could do good against him, but still, the better player wins :P

More examples who could be good against him: Leblanc (Big burst and mobility), Lux(Long range, shield), Xerath , Ziggs, Fizz(Mobility and burst), Syndra (Long Range). 

I think those melee assassins would do good against Vel'koz too.

Meow!

I'm half Japanese, quarter Greek and quarter Dutch.
    I also speak Japanese :D

Thanks man.

I've got a 4.2 Tier list. Want me to PM it to you?

Yeah, I think it is going to be all about assasins this patch.

What about Morgana? She has a pretty decent Spell Shield if maxed out second.

Quote from KeyShot23 »

Thanks man.

I've got a 4.2 Tier list. Want me to PM it to you?

Would be grateful, will see ;)

As for Morgana - lol nope. At her best this will be a farm lane. Vel'Koz has true damage which negates her shield if comboed properly and that CC is only an addition, not core. Think of him as of AP Vayne.

Quote from MrDrus»
    As for Morgana - lol nope. At her best this will be a farm lane. Vel'Koz has true damage which negates her shield if comboed properly and that CC is only an addition, not core. Think of him as of AP Vayne.

Got it. I really miss my Morgy though... :(

like any mobile champ or any that can outrange him easy

his W and QW are not easy to hit (travel speed and delay gives you a lot of counterplay against him

the only way he can hit a good combo is when his E hits or his Q that like the only moment he can apply his passiv

also testet some botgame with him now

this Gemetry shooting of Q is pretty difficult to do and also easy to dodge its pretty predictable if the enemy velkoz try to do that

his ult is easy to explain do you have an escape move Flash rdy ? yes well good no you probably going to die

his lvl 6 is his strongest stage at the game so try to avoid this 500 base on R is pretty high even if its a channeld ability

http://i.imgur.com/MZ8Gjll.gif

Just pick strong assassin and they will do the job. Also, Vel'koz doesn't push well at the very early level.

LeBlanc destroy him, Kassadin actually survive him quite well early as long as he play safe, Fizz doesn't really care about him and should eat him.
    Ziggs should do well because of his high early pushing and long range playstyle.
    Kayle doesn't do bad but isn't very optimal against him, he can kite her easily, will generally not be in her range in general and even with her ult, he doesn't mean she will always win. But she push well so... Certainly a skill match-up.
    Ahri should do well against Vel'Koz in general, their pushing is the same early, she will eat him up and her ultimate will allow her to easily dodge the lazor and charm him.
    Xerath should be okay against him, he has better pushing and his poke can outrange Vel'Koz. He can maybe save himself with his E if Vel'Koz throw his ultimate. Like lux, I think he is an even match-up.

But just pick assassin/high mobility champ against him and you will be totally okay.

For jungle, just take any huge jungle initator: J4, Amumu, Nautilus, Maokai, Sejuani, Pantheon, Shaco. They should be able to blow him up easily.

What about Kha in both jungle and mid?

He is an assasin, with high mobility. :)

playing him on the pbe i can say that he is weak against syndra and talon gives him a run for his money.  For syndra, rushing a zhonyas is a must as her stun out ranges all of velkoz's spells by a significant margin allowing her to 100-0 him.  Velkoz does not have fast enough burst to counter attack and kill syndra first, he's more dps focused than many of the popular mages like leblanc. Velkoz can deal with talon as he has strong kiting to prevent talon from closing the gap, but be warned that if talon does manage to get his E off, there isnt much velkoz can do to prevent himself from getting bursted.

Although i havent played the matchup, fizz should be a very hard counter as velkoz does not have enough significant cc to lock the fish down and fizz should be able to dodge the full velkoz ult with a single troll poll. 

Ahri's mobility should allow her to avoid velkoz ult.

Velkoz has good wave clear (W) so ziggs shouldnt be that hard of a lane.

Yasuo is pretty nice vs him, since he can wind wall all of velkoz abilities + he has a dash on basically no cd and can gap close/ burst enough to kill velkoz.

Quote from mizary2102 »

Yasuo is pretty nice vs him, since he can wind wall all of velkoz abilities + he has a dash on basically no cd and can gap close/ burst enough to kill velkoz.

W and R go right through Wind Wall.

Vel'Koz has really strong wave clear. There was a reduction on his W for minions on pbe, but it seems it deals full damage on live.

His combo is not that hard to pull off either. He can just spam his E or Q, because they don't cost much mana. As an opponent you can't really punish him for missing one spell, because he can use the other to back out. Landing one is enough to get a full W on most mid laners. That makes him a good lane bully and farmer imho. His roaming is not bad either, because of the super long range on Q. Sure, it can be juked, but against targets who are running away it's easy to hit.

Overall, I think he's really good overall, but mobility shuts him down in lane. Everything he does is delayed, similarly to Syndra, so I think that anything that works against her (i.e. Fizz) works against Vel'Koz as well.

The winds of change blow through this signature regularly. Haha, no they don't.

Riven is pretty good against Vel'Koz

Last edited by Kaerhp: 2/27/2014 9:59:45 AM
    Quote from KeyShot23 »

Since the new champion just got released, I am sure that every idiot in this game is going to rush ranked with him.

As a mid and jungle player, I'd like to be able to shut him down.

So if anyone finds a counter champion/item/tactic for Vel'Koz, post it here and share your experience.

Assassins.

Gap-closer junglers [Maokai, Pantheon, Vi, ct]

He's a low mobility mage with 4 skillshot skills. Aggression and mobility hard counter him, like Xerath or Lux.

Last edited by raikaria: 2/27/2014 10:00:14 AM

If you could PM that to me too that would be phenomenal.  I'm a top main, can pull off jungle, but really really really trying to improve my mid lane to expand my capabilities

Quote from D00meriksen »
    Quote from mizary2102 »

W and R go right through Wind Wall.

Vel'Koz has really strong wave clear. There was a reduction on his W for minions on pbe, but it seems it deals full damage on live.

His combo is not that hard to pull off either. He can just spam his E or Q, because they don't cost much mana. As an opponent you can't really punish him for missing one spell, because he can use the other to back out. Landing one is enough to get a full W on most mid laners. That makes him a good lane bully and farmer imho. His roaming is not bad either, because of the super long range on Q. Sure, it can be juked, but against targets who are running away it's easy to hit.

Overall, I think he's really good overall, but mobility shuts him down in lane. Everything he does is delayed, similarly to Syndra, so I think that anything that works against her (i.e. Fizz) works against Vel'Koz as well.

nope, W is blocked if he uses it one the first part of the w. it wil stop right at the wall.not quite sure about the ult, but he can easily avoid the ult by using his mobility.

So far, I've shut him down instantly with Leblanc. Silence prevents him from fighting back at all, and his obvious squishiness is a bane for Assassins as a whole. 

Of course, after less than 12 hours of release, who knows. But his quasi-binary nature tells me that he just falls apart from burst and CC. 

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes