This thread was Locked by Dankaw.

Carrying the Game

Can someone tell me what the best lane to carry with is? I've heard top, mid, and adc and I've tried all 3 but I don't know which one to be mostly. 

Last edited by Deathist: 12/16/2012 8:46:23 PM

Pretty sure I've seen this exact thread a couple days ago.

Anyway, the easiest roles to carry your team are, you guessed it, the AP carry and the AD carry, though it is possible to carry from the top lane or from the jungle. Or even as a support, but you have to be a damn good support to be able to carry.

Just pick the role you like the most (as long as no one else called it or picked it before you).

Depends on the situation. Normals? Solo Queue? Team Queue?

Team Queue, ADC of course. That's why their called the ADC. The problem is that they need to be carried themselves for early/mid game. Thus, great for organized teams.

Normals, any assassin/snowbally champ. Akalis, Kats, Noc, Irelia. That kind of thing.

Solo Queue is what I assume you mean, and it depends on your elo. Low elo, where players don't ward properly, Jungler. Mid to high Elo, AP carry. Junglers like Skarner, Maokai, Lee Sin are great. Mids like Kat, Zyra, Morgana.

Preparing for the climb is scary.

I'll totally have to disagree with the AD Carry.  I find that role able to finish the game, but you're not in control of said game, making it difficult to carry.

Sure the Carry WILL force that win, but It's far better to be in control of that.  AP Carries do have the ability to control the flow of the game, and similar to an AD Carry it could easily backfire.  Losing mid lane to the other Mage?  Thats giving your Top, Jungler, and AD Carry a hard time.

I suggest the Jungle, as you're responsible for the whole team, for the whole game.  While a support focus's everything on that Carry, you focus on protecting everybody equally!  From stealing blue to directly oppose the enemy jungler, to ganking or counter ganking.   Giving your best team members a huge advantage, and putting your bad players back on there feet.  You have to watch all the lanes, ward whether your team does or not, know how to engage a fight and which team has the better synergy.  The jungler is in the best position to know which  champion has used there ultimates, as Junglers are always with the action early game, as most of it is initiated by them.

Definitely not support people who even suggest the idea that you can support with a carry are just completely out of there mind if you are somehow carrying from the "support" position they you are not support you are most likely an ap lux or zyra or something of that nature.  Supports can not and never will be able to actually CARRY which I would define as the person who has the most killing potential and can single handedly win a fight.  If you think you are carrying as a support then your probably just helping your team win by laying down tons of cc and keeping your team alive; congrats your doing the exact thing a support is supposed to literally unless you have a ton of kills your not a carry that's actuallly a good indicator regardless of what people think..

NOW to actually answer your question I would concur with a few opinions that jungle is probably the best for mostly all the reasons Misticaltom mentioned in the post above and I would just add that it's usually the area on your team where the tank plays and tanks win games

Quote from AwesomeT07 »

congrats your doing the exact thing a support is supposed to literally...

This is just too damn stupid.
    You snowballed from toplane? Congrats, your doing the exact thing a toplaner is supposed to do, etc...

A support can carry hard. Period.
    Ever heard of that gamechanging Sona ult?
    "Man, that Blitz grab was awesome..."
    Or that tribrush Nunu ult while your whole team was running from the enemy team? "dafuq was that 1000+ magic damage, almost pentakill thingy?"

In lower elo, support is the best way to carry your team, unless you are one of those only Soraka supports.

I would have to completely disagree with the jungle carry role. The very fact that you need to be everywhere at once shuts down your ability to carry. If two of the three lanes in the game have a hard time (they don't even need to be losing they just might need some extra attention because of match ups) you will be stretched very thin. In lane at least you have the option to just farm out the other guy and make a comeback with superior items. There are very few junglers who can reliably do this and if they can their lanes are probably good enough that you won't have to carry - you'd win anyways. You are at the mercy of the other lanes the same as any other role.

As for which roles carry the most. I personally believe there's too much luck involved in solo queue to pick a role and you're better off picking a champion that can do several roles to carry with.

Last edited by beebop64: 12/17/2012 12:30:57 AM

Quote from Yrenir»

Or that tribrush Nunu ult while your whole team was running from the enemy team? "dafuq was that 1000+ magic damage, almost pentakill thingy?"

In lower elo, support is the best way to carry your team, unless you are one of those only Soraka supports.

You don't understand what carry means. We're not talking about winning one team fight. We're talking about ensuring consistent victories. Sure, a great Sona ult might change the game. That sona might be 0/17/2. That's great. She isn't carrying her team. She made a big play. 

Now in lane, a support can get a carry fed. But then the carry has to carry.

So, no, support is the absolute worst pick to carry games, ESPECIALLY in low elo, because then even if you get your carry fed there's a good chance he'll throw the game.

Preparing for the climb is scary.

Mid carries the best in lower elo's. As you get higher, it shifts to the jungler. At top elo, mid again, because Karthus.

Do you mean carry as in "get lots of kills" or carry as in win games? Cause to win games you don't need to carry, you just need to consistently outperform your opponent. To get lots of kills, go mid lane. Win lane, roam, kill everyone. 

Early man hunt deer, man with biggest club kill deer, man who kill deer get woman. Woman no hunt deer they stay in cave. Today, man build Trinity Force and do tons of damage. Woman no build triforce, have slow fingers as didn't hunt, woman have to play support. It's all in the evolutionary biology. 

Quote from beebop64 »

I would have to completely disagree with the jungle carry role. The very fact that you need to be everywhere at once shuts down your ability to carry. If two of the three lanes in the game have a hard time (they don't even need to be losing they just might need some extra attention because of match ups) you will be stretched very thin. In lane at least you have the option to just farm out the other guy and make a comeback with superior items. There are very few junglers who can reliably do this and if they can their lanes are probably good enough that you won't have to carry - you'd win anyways. You are at the mercy of the other lanes the same as any other role.

As for which roles carry the most. I personally believe there's too much luck involved in solo queue to pick a role and you're better off picking a champion that can do several roles to carry with.

I don't believe a jungler is ever at the mercy of the lanes.  They have the duty of maintaining a psychological fear upon all the lanes within the game.  If you jungle correctly maintaining a presence within each lane(some more than others, all depending upon the jungler's judgement) you can easily carry games.  Junglers are never at the mercy of others they set the tone of the match from the beginning affecting laners play style.

For carry roles I'd suggest jungle for the reasons above and mid cuz AP is just OP.

lol no you snowball from top lane you CARRY THE GAME cuz no one can stop you your a support with CC? congrats your helping your team win aka supporting i'll give you nunu though his potential for wiping out entire teams is definitely scary but a blitz grab being associated with carrying?  and ur calling me to damn stupid thats.....thats pretty rich right there

Quote from AwesomeT07 »

lol no you snowball from top lane you CARRY THE GAME cuz no one can stop you your a support with CC? congrats your helping your team win aka supporting i'll give you nunu though his potential for wiping out entire teams is definitely scary but a blitz grab being associated with carrying?  and ur calling me to damn stupid thats.....thats pretty rich right there

You can't even spell and write correctly so I wouldn't expect you to understand why a support can carry a game, or even better, to understand the game. Period. Your opinion is not valid in any way possible. 

Quote from Mockstar »

Quote from Yrenir»

You don't understand what carry means. We're not talking about winning one team fight. We're talking about ensuring consistent victories. Sure, a great Sona ult might change the game. That sona might be 0/17/2. That's great. She isn't carrying her team. She made a big play. 

Now in lane, a support can get a carry fed. But then the carry has to carry.

So, no, support is the absolute worst pick to carry games, ESPECIALLY in low elo, because then even if you get your carry fed there's a good chance he'll throw the game.

Supports can carry games, not just a teamfight. A support can do the following: ward, giving the team vision, allowing them to spot the enemy team in advance and either pick a single target to kill or the whole team; babysit the carry, giving him opportunities to kill people in and off lane, and get himself fed; deny CS and EXP, allowing the team to overwhelm the opponents by levels and items; CC one or multiple members of the opposing team, allowing the team to kill them fast and without any problems; provide sustain, mana / HP, allowing for a longer and better lane presence; peel, allowing any member of the team to deal damage more effective and for a longer period of time; hold timers for objectives, allowing the team to prepare itself for incoming opportunities; lead the team strategically and psychologically, allowing for a swifter, better, more organized play; debuff the enemy ADC / APC, with different items or skills. 

Those are just a couple of them, about 80%. Not all of the supports can do that, but most can. Now, a support CANNOT carry games. But a good support can and will, each and every time. Period. 

Congrats I'm clapping my hands for the person that is calling out my grammar errors on the internet good for you I'm soooo offended that you can't understand me now I'm going to contradict every idiotic statement you just made FIRST warding good job glad you have lots of wards as a support if everyone else on your team is half decent they buy wards every time they back as well SECOND hi im a skarner jungle with amazing peel or lee sin that can kick anyone off my carry THIRD glad we understand the meaning of a counter so we can deny CS and EXP FOURTH if it's an ashe or varus they can CC a team by themselves glad that role was suddenly relegated to only a support here is my mid Cass that just blasted everyone in the face  and now we clean up cool FIFTH I'm actually gonna stop listing things now because the rest of the things you mention are exactly what a support is supposed to do which I keep saying but apparently people have this delusion that sustain and objective control blah blah is helping you carry THEN even better yet you contradict yourself "now, a support CANNOT carry games.....but a good support can" HAHAHAHA ok it makes sense why you think I can't understand why a support can carry when I see double standards like that 

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Champion_attributes

here's the wiki where you can read the literal definition of a carry but I'm sure nobody will care as it's a wiki and continue to fight for the unrealistic concept of a support carry

Quote from AwesomeT07 »

Congrats I'm clapping my hands for the person that is calling out my grammar errors on the internet good for you I'm soooo offended that you can't understand me now I'm going to contradict every idiotic statement you just made FIRST warding good job glad you have lots of wards as a support if everyone else on your team is half decent they buy wards every time they back as well SECOND hi im a skarner jungle with amazing peel or lee sin that can kick anyone off my carry THIRD glad we understand the meaning of a counter so we can deny CS and EXP FOURTH if it's an ashe or varus they can CC a team by themselves glad that role was suddenly relegated to only a support here is my mid Cass that just blasted everyone in the face  and now we clean up cool FIFTH I'm actually gonna stop listing things now because the rest of the things you mention are exactly what a support is supposed to do which I keep saying but apparently people have this delusion that sustain and objective control blah blah is helping you carry THEN even better yet you contradict yourself "now, a support CANNOT carry games.....but a good support can" HAHAHAHA ok it makes sense why you think I can't understand why a support can carry when I see double standards like that 

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Champion_attributes

here's the wiki where you can read the literal definition of a carry but I'm sure nobody will care as it's a wiki and continue to fight for the unrealistic concept of a support carry

Not even going to bother reading, so thanks. 

EDIT: It is common sense that if you want someone to read your post you put time in it to make readable. Otherwise, why would I waste my time reading when you don't waste yours writing!? 

Last edited by AyameKiyoshi: 12/17/2012 1:20:07 PM

If by 'carry the game' you mean 'get ridiculously fed and instakill anyone / pentakill in teamfights' then you need an assassin type champ, like Talon / Le Blanc / Katarina / Riven / Akali. You can go a bit tankier with, for example, Darius and Diana.

If by 'carry the game' mean 'play your part for the team so at the end of the game you destroy their nexus', which is my definition, then any role can carry the game, they just do so in different ways.

If you play the tank, you ensure that your team stays alive to do damage. When you're a fed tank you can hold off the firepower of all 5 enemy teams, peel their bruiser off your squishies, and tank the turret without waiting for minions so you keep pushing. A handful of tanks can do this - my most fun experiences come from Cho'Gath doing this (and going NOMNOMNOM with a grin).

If you play the AP Carry, you're usually the upfront damage for teamfights so you can nuke someone/CC the bruiser to peel/AoE the whole team to soften them up. Also, if you're doing good in mid lane you might have time to roam and put your other lanes ahead or score extra kills yourself. If AP carry is behind your team might overall lack in magic damage and get shut down by armor. To Carry as AP is the easiest way to score that scary pentakill (the funniest ones come from behind-the-grave Karthus though).

If you play the jungler, you hold the power to decide otherwise equal lanes. Ganks, or counter-ganks, or dueling the enemy jungler - that's your prime responsibility, and the jungle creeps are there to get you started on this job. Your whole team may protect you from the early invade because your good start is important for everybody's success. Whether it's tanky Amumu deciding a teamfight in one ult, or a Jax earning the pentakill one target at a time, jungler has high carry potential.

If you play the AD carry, you farm creeps, trade with enemies and - most importantly - don't die. If you die as AD, your lategame gets delayed and, usually, you just feed the enemy AD speeding up theirs - so the outcome of the AD carry's lane can make or break a game for your team. Still, there's no denying that past 40 minutes you will be the decisive factor by staying alive till the tend of the teamfight then pushing 3 turrets inhibitor two nexuses and nexus itself. No other role could do it like you can (except maybe melee AD that went top/jungle).

If you play the support, you carry games through vision, auras, CC, and when necessary, baiting/sacrificing. With good enough vision the enemies are safe nowhere, their ambushes fail, they get ambushed and killed cheap, you ensure that your team always starts teamfights at an advantage, and throughout the game, you save many, many lives, in various ways. With the new S3 support items, I find Support to be more fun to play and meaningful than ever before. The feel when your team is up 10 or 20 in total kills over the enemy team, because your vision and kit denied them ganks/kills so many times, is when a support carries hard.

Probably a waste of time writing such a long post, so to shortly answer your question, it shifts over time. Early on, mid and jungler might carry through ganks, lategame, it shifts to your AD Carry from their sheer sustained damage. Still, don't forget that any one lane can carry by 'consistently performing well', just like any single player can ruin the game if they fail hard, and thus can't provide their part for the team. It just takes on different forms.

I'm sure that's what you would like me to think but considering you took the time to reply at all you must have read it otherwise your just a god awful troll

TLDR my last post trashed you have fun trying to carry with support moron

A good player can support as Yorick or Darius and stomp the entire enemy team when they least expect it (coming from bot support, after all), if you prefer that for an answer. Yorick is actually a scary support because he has the self-sustain to handle a duo lane and from level 6 his ADC is right there to ult for a 3v2 anytime. Saying he NEEDS his top farm is an exaggeration, he may not get as tanky in support slot, but someone else on your team will get that solo top farm, and it balances out.

And I do have fun carrying as support when we constantly ambush lone enemies and saving lives of my teammates. One of the best feelings in the world.

Quote from Migotliv »

A good player can support as Yorick or Darius and stomp the entire enemy team when they least expect it (coming from bot support, after all), if you prefer that for an answer. Yorick is actually a scary support because he has the self-sustain to handle a duo lane and from level 6 his ADC is right there to ult for a 3v2 anytime. Saying he NEEDS his top farm is an exaggeration, he may not get as tanky in support slot, but someone else on your team will get that solo top farm, and it balances out.

And I do have fun carrying as support when we constantly ambush lone enemies and saving lives of my teammates. One of the best feelings in the world.

Darius.... support!? Yorick... I've seen a couple. But Darius? That doesn't even make sense. 

You'd have to see it to believe it.

Granted, you take him same as any bruiser for a killer lane. Leona has CC and no sustain, but is tanky enough to manage. Darius plays bot lane like Pantheon does, except with a pull instead of a stun.

I won't insist that it's viable in high Elo, but in lower Elo foregoing conventional support to grab another bruiser who can completely stomp enemies (while helping your AD get fed if you know what you're doing) is an option, and it's hilarious when it happens. If you grab Draven as ADC then the brothers will bully the hell out of any ADC + Support combo and maul the jungler for a bonus. But don't take my word for it - just try it yourselves.

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes