This thread was Locked by Dankaw.

My Ranked Strategy for S4: No Mana, No Problems

My Manaless Plan

Brief Introduction: I’m a Gold III player, been playing since the S2 preseason.

The Goal: I want to get my skill with a good pool of manaless champions up to the same level I play Katarina, so that I can play any role comfortably in ranked, and make plat during S4.

I’ve always favored manaless champions, have more fun playing them, and generally consider them stronger overall than champions with mana. One of my problems in S2 was always trying to find a champ/strategy that was OP, or always trying to counterpick so that I would be able to beat my opponent in lane thanks to an unfair advantage. This got me stuck in Bronze, as low as the ~700s in ELO.  One thing I learned this season (and which got me to Gold III) is that champion picks won’t give you nearly the advantage that skill and experience with a champion will give you. I’ve been trying to decide on a limited champion pool to stick to in ranked, and hey, why not make them all manaless?

So, without further ado, here’s the list of champions I’m planning to learn/improve on during Season 4.

Top Lane: I mained this lane is S2, playing mostly Rumble (~200 games). In S3, I played mostly Riven because I always hated playing against her, got tired of her not getting nerfed, and decided to just buy her and use her OPness to my advantage. After winning my lane a lot but not being able to carry games, I switched to midlane. Riven and Rumble give me a good mix of AD and AP champs with lots of mobility and AOE.

Riven, Rumble

Mid Lane: I climbed to gold III from Silver III using almost exclusively Katarina mid. I could usually use my superior experience with her, in addition to her teamfight ability, to win games even if I was outmatched in lane. However, I realize that she’s really a liability in certain matchups, so I need another champion to pick at those times. After lots of research, I decided on Mordekaiser. Like Riven, I always hated facing him in-lane in S2, and he matches up well against champs that Katarina does poorly against (Diana, Kass, Akali, etc).

Katarina, Mordekaiser 

Jungle: Here’s where I needed to completely revamp my roster and start from scratch. I began playing League with friends, who wanted me to play as their jungler, so I played a lot of jungle when I was starting out. Nunu was my first champion pick, and I played a ton of Mundo in S2. However, I don’t really enjoy playing them that much, nor do I consider them extremely strong. When I started playing S3, I really hated the champs I refer to as the ‘undying’, namely Aatrox and Zac. These two champs not only have OP passives, but they are also fantastic manaless junglers with great sustain and CC. These two champs, in addition to giving me AD and AP to pick from, can both be built tanky and still do damage, and have similar enough skillsets and costs (ranged knockup, linear skillshot slows, revival passive, % HP skill costs) that switching between the two won’t be too hard. I plan on making Aatrox my main jungler, since I like that he can be built full damage or full tank, and taking Zac when we need more AP, more tank, more hard CC, or when Aatrox isn’t available.

Aatrox, Zac

Bot Lane: Here’s where it gets less interesting. There’s really only one choice for support, and one choice for ADC, if I stick to my manaless goal, they are

Support: Shen

ADC: Kennen 

Neither is superb in their respective positions, but neither is trash tier either. I've been playing a lot of AD Kennen and am loving it. I've always considered AD to be my weakest role, so forcing myself to learn positioning, orbwalking, and last hitting mechanics has improved my play with Kata too, even though I'm not playing her as often. If you have suggestions for other manaless champions that fulfill these roles better, please let me know.

So there’s my plan! We’ll see how far I get with these 8 champions. By limiting my champion pool, I hope to increase my ability with each one, and not ride the waves of FOTM and broken or “OP” champions during the season. I appreciate your feedback, advice, etc, but any suggestions to play mana-restricted champions will be promptly ignored and possibly ridiculed ^_^

Last edited by WhiteTigerScream: 10/30/2013 4:16:44 PM

Manaless Yordles shall rule all!

Quote from WhiteTigerScream »

My Manaless Plan

Brief Introduction: I’m a Gold III player, been playing since the S2 preseason.

The Goal: I want to get my skill with a good pool of manaless champions up to the same level I play Katarina, so that I can play any role comfortably in ranked, and make plat during S4.

I’ve always favored manaless champions, have more fun playing them, and generally consider them stronger overall than champions with mana. One of my problems in S2 was always trying to find a champ/strategy that was OP, or always trying to counterpick so that I would be able to beat my opponent in lane thanks to an unfair advantage. This got me stuck in Bronze, as low as the ~700s in ELO.  One thing I learned this season (and which got me to Gold III) is that champion picks won’t give you nearly the advantage that skill and experience with a champion will give you. I’ve been trying to decide on a limited champion pool to stick to in ranked, and hey, why not make them all manaless?

So, without further ado, here’s the list of champions I’m planning to learn/improve on during Season 4.

Top Lane: I mained this lane is S2, playing mostly Rumble (~200 games). In S3, I played mostly Riven because I always hated playing against her, got tired of her not getting nerfed, and decided to just buy her and use her OPness to my advantage. After winning my lane a lot but not being able to carry games, I switched to midlane. Riven and Rumble give me a good mix of AD and AP champs with lots of mobility and AOE.

Riven, Rumble

Mid Lane: I climbed to gold III from Silver III using almost exclusively Katarina mid. I could usually use my superior experience with her, in addition to her teamfight ability, to win games even if I was outmatched in lane. However, I realize that she’s really a liability in certain matchups, so I need another champion to pick at those times. After lots of research, I decided on Mordekaiser. Like Riven, I always hated facing him in-lane in S2, and he matches up well against champs that Katarina does poorly against (Diana, Kass, Akali, etc).

Katarina, Mordekaiser 

Jungle: Here’s where I needed to completely revamp my roster and start from scratch. I began playing League with friends, who wanted me to play as their jungler, so I played a lot of jungle when I was starting out. Nunu was my first champion pick, and I played a ton of Mundo in S2. However, I don’t really enjoy playing them that much, nor do I consider them extremely strong. When I started playing S3, I really hated the champs I refer to as the ‘undying’, namely Aatrox and Zac. These two champs not only have OP passives, but they are also fantastic manaless junglers with great sustain and CC. These two champs, in addition to giving me AD and AP to pick from, can both be built tanky and still do damage, and have similar enough skillsets and costs (ranged knockup, linear skillshot slows, revival passive, % HP skill costs) that switching between the two won’t be too hard. I plan on making Aatrox my main jungler, since I like that he can be built full damage or full tank, and taking Zac when we need more AP, more tank, more hard CC, or when Aatrox isn’t available.

Aatrox, Zac

Bot Lane: Here’s where it gets less interesting. There’s really only one choice for support, and one choice for ADC, if I stick to my manaless goal, they are

Support: Shen

ADC: Kennen 

Neither is superb in their respective positions, but neither is trash tier either. I've been playing a lot of AD Kennen and am loving it. I've always considered AD to be my weakest role, so forcing myself to learn positioning, orbwalking, and last hitting mechanics has improved my play with Kata too, even though I'm not playing her as often. If you have suggestions for other manaless champions that fulfill these roles better, please let me know.

So there’s my plan! We’ll see how far I get with these 8 champions. By limiting my champion pool, I hope to increase my ability with each one, and not ride the waves of FOTM and broken or “OP” champions during the season. I appreciate your feedback, advice, etc, but any suggestions to play mana-restricted champions will be promptly ignored and possibly ridiculed ^_^

In bot lane, most ADC's are essentially manaless because you don't really rely on mana to do your job. Just play cait / draven / vayne. Stay away from Corki / Ezreal

For Support, play soraka. Not only is your mana rarely a problem, but you GIVE FREE MANA to your allies. 

What happens when shen gets banned and you're forced to support? :)

Last edited by Rouche: 10/30/2013 4:26:11 PM

Are you restricting yourself or expressing yourself with this... ask yourself.

This thread got nothing worthwhile to read for the community so all i could do was making you question yourself.

Hope i could help.

As a Ryze main, I fcking love mana. Good luck with your goal! May I suggest Vlad for mid/top

• BrienWrightMale player

Try out Kennen support. Twin shadows + suns can go a long way. It may be a bit hard because of the need to attack to get up shrunken charges but you have some strong harass due to energy pool over mana pool. I've done it a few times but I have always had better luck with Thresh and more standard supports.

I think a key here is that support really has a strong affinity to mana reliance. If you look at most of their items they have some form of mana regen so you run into an area of having A) a gold deprived champ that may need to buy stats that you will never use and B) improper itemization on champs that can potentially hinder their play greatly.

Not saying it can't be done though. I have seen enough games, not ranked mind you, where double melee bruisers bot dominate the standard meta in bot. I think if you want to go ahead with this really look at what items you can build and how you can support your ADC as they farm. Shen may be strong with his taunt but others like Leona will engage harder and with more damage so you really need to play this very carefully.

BB code sucks.

so when i first saw your post, ithought this strategy might be fine(if were not including your bot lane choices), but then i remembered the pre-season changes.

resourcless champions often have one thing in common:early midgame strength

if you read the pre-season changes, you will be getting higher ambient gold gain(which means also less per cs since theyre trying to make 0 cs supports scale better) and lots of early lead mitigation mechanics such as less gold on early kills and jungle creeps giving more exp if the player is behind in levels and dragon giving more exp if youre behind. all of these changes will make champions who are strong early game(ie resourceless champions, with the notable exception of rumble) weaker and the advantages they bring to the table less important.

this goes in particular to riven, who will also take the brunt of a penetration change(unless they restructer armor/lvl on alllll champions,AND leave %shred{different than %pen} unaffected in which case she would be ok). in case you dont realize this, base armor gets into the 70+ range on most champions by lvl 18. if last whisper wont help her kill squishy targets she might end up lacking in damage later in the game

so you may want to wait until you vow to do this next season haha

Not really the best strategy. Your pool is so small that it'll get countered so fast. Getting to Plat will be hard for you.

ADC : Kennen lacks a lot. You'll be depending on abilities because that's the natural instinct. No ADC should be depending so much on abilities. You'll most likely win laning phase but team fight phase, you are useless unless you want to go all in.

This is where you lack. If you get dropped into ADC, you'll have a tough time. 

Mid : Your mid pool is good. Both are really strong underplayed champions. You can probably win a lot of games with Katarina alone. Strong solo queue carry but if you don't get mid, you are screwed. Mordekaiser is the same thing, you kill their ADC, you'll carry hard since you control the ADC.

For mid you can pick up Akali because her burst is just crazy. Really useless til 6 but when 6 hits, you'll dominate the lane. Gank other lanes and snowball. Akali can clean up and carry.

Top : Rumble is also a really strong champion. One of my favorite top 10s in Top. Can't carry games like Katarina so you'll have trouble there even if you dominate your lane. For Riven, my number 1 top laner. In my opinion a Riven can never lose lane if played right. Ganks are the only way you could lose lane. She has is just too strong. High burst, high sustain, low cd stun. Riven can carry harder than Rumble even though Rumble zones harder with ulti.

Pick up Vlad also. Really easy champion to play. Really high sustain and high damage. You could easily 1v3 in the late game. 

Pick up  Renekton. Renekton is just like Riven. Almost never loses lane. He has the perfect kit as a duelist and tank. Doesn't even need damage items to do damage. 

Garen is pretty much the same thing as Renekton. Perfect kit. 

Support : Support Shen is actually pretty good. I'd rate him in one of my top 10 supports because his kit is perfect for being a support. His vorpal blade giving health regen is really useful in lane. The taunt also reduces the damage dealt to him so he CAN be tankier than champs like Leona that goes all in. He doesn't require a lot of items to be useful. He is just like Leona, one purpose. To go all in and just tank everything in which your feint and shadow dash will provide.

You also lack in the support because you only have Shen and tons of Gold players either ban Shen or pick him. 

Jungle : Aatrox and Zac are both strong. Those 2 are fine for rank. Zac will do more than Aatrox late game in the sense of CC. Both are great because you can turret dive and get your team and early advantage. That's why they are so scary. That's why in the finals, you saw a lot of Aatrox dives because he can just come back alive after tanking the turret for your team mate to kill the enemy. 

Your jungle pool is good. Rengar could be a thought for you also. His ganks at 6 are crazy intense. You don't expect them out of anywhere unlike Nocturne which you see darkness and could easily back off. Slow into Snare is crazy intense.

In my opinion, your jungle and mid will do the most in rank for you. The others are still lacking. I do have a question?

Why manaless champions? 

Last edited by thatepicasian: 10/30/2013 7:20:59 PM

get vlad.

heimer

Support Zac? He has good CC, decent damage, and has the ability to heal himself and his passive can save his life. I know he needs more gold to be great, but with S4 changes it might be an option.

Maybe Sivir might be the ADC option. Sure she uses mana, but she has a spell shield that can give her mana when an ability is used on her, which it probably will be during the lane many times.

...And Remember Summoners, Spin to Win!

Ooh, Support Zac. That's the first really good on-topic suggestion so far, thanks! So I guess that answers Rouche's question :P

I never said I wasn't restricting myself, I'm purposefully restricting myself to these champs for a reason, in order to keep from the pit I was in in S2 where I kept trying out lots of different champs over and over, and never got really good with any of them.

I'm also glad to see so much love for Riven and Rumble :D

For those suggesting I pick up Vlad (or Renekton, or X), could you be a little more specific? For example, should I take Vlad instead of a specific top/mid champ, or in addition to them? If so, why? What does Vlad provide that X champion doesn't, and why does that make it worthwhile to spread out champion pool and skillset?

As far as Akali goes, I was strongly considering her, but she really doesn't do anything that Kat doesn't, she just does it to a single target instead of multiple targets (albeit much better). She has the same weaknesses/strengths Kat does, but requires a bit more energy management, and is less useful IMO in teamfights. That's not to say the suggestion is invalid, I may end up picking her up for those times I just wanna get tons of kills :D

Thank you to everyone who's commented so far, I didn't really expect this much response. ^_^

Vlad just has the best sustain out of any top laners. AP = Health, Q heals you and E helps increases your healing. His ulti is practically a DFG. Vlad is just naturally tanky with no tank items due to his op passive.

Renekton can just duel anyone. He dashes in, W, Q, dashes out. Chunks anyone. His ulti does damage per health which is strong vs tank. He reduces armor, he stuns, and he can heal himself with Q. Much comparable to Riven in a way. Only tankier form. Riven does more damage but is squishier than Renekton. Build a sunfire on him, and he can duel most top laners.

The reason for Akali is she doesn't get countered as easy as Katarina. Her burst is also higher than Katarina which will allow her more resets. Not as mobile but overall easy clean up carry.

The thing about Vlad:
    First of all, he's manaless, wich is something you asked for. = P Second, he can play either mid or top very well. Third, he's one of the strongest lategame/teamfighting champions in the game.

If you ever want to give him a chance, try the following: Aim to get 40% CDR(using items such as the Spirirt of the Spectral Wraith, Spirit Visage(he scales with HP too, only a little, but he does)), get a zhonias, and obviously, as much AP/MPen as possible.
    So, at lvl18 with 40% CDR and Zhonias, you can -pretty easily- Drop a full combo R(wich gives damage amplification to ALL damage your enemies recieve, including from your allies)-E-Q; Use your trollpool under them. While you're pooled, your E and Q comes off CD, so you can -very fast- E-Q again, and then hit Zhonias. After zhonias, your E-Q are off CD again, so do them again. Now, if you survive a couple of seconds, you can even pool again, and do one more combo atleast. The only chance for the enemy to stop you is dropping a well timed hard cc and waste alot of their burst on you(ye, cuz vlad also gets pretty tanky lategame).

Sorry for the long post, I like Vlad alot and don't get why he's so underplayed. He does have alot of weaknesses, like your early game being REALLY weak. But if you manage to play passive and farm until around lvl9(and heck, it's not that hard, you're ranged, have no mana, and have innate sustain), you're ready to dominate the lane and eventualy the game. = ) Oh, and if you pick Vlad and they pick Swain/laneFiddle against you...Better dodge, or have a REAL bad time!

One more reason you should try him, as mentioned before, the champion pool you've talked about is kinda low. Adding Vlad would give you another solid option for Top and Mid.

Another champion I could suggest is Lee Sin. He's like my main top laner, and is an exceptional jungler aswell. He can also be played mid, and I've even seen experienced Lee's doing pretty damn well supporting.(Q got % missing health dmg, W's a Shield, E's mov and atk speed slow, R is a very good disengage. On paper sounds very good, but it's hard to pull off obviously) Why Lee Sin? Imho, he's the funniest champion to play(alongside Nidalee), altho he also is on the top5 of the highest skill caps.

Hope I helped, good'day!(btw, im sure I wrote ALOT of typos and wierd sentences, I'm sorry, I'm about to go to sleep so bear with me)

Last edited by JohnyJohnson: 10/31/2013 1:09:13 AM

plus vlad has like... no real core item. so hes like really adaptable.

Last edited by Pleinair: 10/31/2013 1:34:56 AM

My strategy for Season 4:Play Season 4

Its to early to call S4 champs, the changes that is incoming is HUGHE, for example junglers will be totaly different

Oldschool gamer, gamer since birth

Since playing support and riding on waves brought me to Gold I'm kinda afraid of the changes, that I won't be able to keep up any more. Playing support will really require skill now...

playing manaless champions does nothing but hinder your growth as a player

Your opinion is wrong. Also not helpful, intelligent, well thought out, or any redeeming quality really.

Last edited by WhiteTigerScream: 11/2/2013 12:39:44 AM

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes