Unfairly banned?

• Elo boosting punishment:
    1. Two week ban
    2. Removal of all season 1 and 2 rewards
    3. Not eligible for season 3 rewards

This is a very serious punishment, and one that should not be given out lightly. As a high elo player, do you deserve this punishment if you simply played 1 or 2 games on a friend's bronze elo account? The obvious answer is NO.
    You can imagine my surprise when I was stuck with this punishment for a similar reason.

Long story short, I had an online friend who did me several favors in the past. One day, he asks me to do him a favor, and because of our history, of course I said yes. So he asks me to join his platinum 3v3 team and play a couple games with him. I join, and we end up being matched against an enemy 3v3 team who happened to be his friend's team. In game, it's a joke and everyone is playing for fun and not competitively. We mess around and they let us win. I queue up with them one more time, and again, we get the same opponents. They let us win again, and even gave me a pentakill.

Now I'm getting kind of uneasy, because something is fishy here, so when he asks me to play with him one more time, I decline and leave his platinum 3v3 team right away. That was the end of that; I wanted no part in whatever he was doing. I had no idea, but this online friend was actually a long time win trader for 3v3 teams, and sold high elo 3v3 team spots for money.

So I thought that was the end of that, but HALF A YEAR LATER, my account is banned for no reason, all season rewards are stripped from it, including my border, banner, icon, and skins. So of course, I send in a support ticket.
    They responded that I was banned for 3v3 win trading. I respond, telling them this exact story, and they know that I only did it for 2 games, because that's what the records show (I didn't even get a tier or division for this team, and I even left the team right after, reaping no benefits for myself). After seven days (yes, Riot customer support sucks sometimes), the particular Rioter in charge of my ticket responded with: "It doesn't matter how many times you commit an offense in game". I explain to him that his logic is highly flawed and makes no sense. People are not banned for accidentally raging in ONE game, they are banned for proving to be raging consistently in their games. Similarly, people who are banned for elo boosting, are not punished for playing ONE game on a low elo account to experience it. People are banned for playing on accounts "with the specific purpose of improving the...accountÂ’s MMR".

After reading that, and refusing to acknowledge my request that another Rioter read my support ticket, this guy closes my ticket, and I am forced to turn to the community to ask for help.

Tl;dr My online friend "tricked" me into participating in two win trade games in 3v3 on his platinum team. I left the team right after, and didn't even get the team any divisions or tiers on it. 6 months later, I am banned for 3v3 win trading, stripped of all season 1 and 2 rewards, ineligible for season 3 rewards, and have a 2 week ban. Tell me, community, is this fair?

My response to Riot Wookieecookie
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Niqhtmare x View Post
    If you really believe that I deserve this punishment for 4 games, and then leaving the team, then so be it. I am just really dissappointed that it took me 2 weeks to get a proper answer, and that I couldn't even get it via support ticket, I had to get it off a third party website (reddit), and blow this topic way out of control.
  • Pardon the copy paste response, but I addressed your Reddit post, since you've elected to bring it to GD, I've brought my response as well.

Niqhtmare x,

As has already been explained to you, we will be unable to lift the actions taken on your account. I'm afraid the story you say here doesn't quite match what you've already admitted to us in your ticket, and what our own data suggests.

From your own words to us you admit that you engaged in win trading. This is backed up by the game data of the 4 Games you played (you said it was only 2), where members on your team (including yourself) didn't even bother to purchase real items in game.
    In addition, your selection of summoner spells indicate that you were not really expecting to go against real opponents in the queue anyways. Which might help explain why you guys played in the middle of the night, to maximize your opportunity to play against a specific team.

And lastly, this did not occur over a year ago, but in the beginning of July 2013.

I agree that the punishment for MMR boosting and win trading is harsh. It's designed that way. They take coordination and planning to perform, and it's not something that can just "accidentally happen".

Most importantly, we're well aware that the thought crosses other players' minds as well. And unfortunately as the season draws to a close I have no doubt that others will try similar ploys in 3v3's as well. For them though, the result will be the same. We'll be actively on the look out and punishing them as we see them.

If you are interested in ranked rewards you are still eligible to earn future rewards after Season 3 and you can do so without resorting to tricks or exploits to earn a higher ranking.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kjelle View Post
    Because he was obviously trying to abuse the system with 4 games, right? That's like raging 4 games and having your account perma banned.
    Actually, the team was in Diamond V Division already. And in past seasons it's only taken 5 games played on that team by a player in order to qualify for that team's ranked rewards.

So it's not entirely unsuspected to see abuse on a small level, especially in 3's.

But to address your other point, things like "raging" can happen because people are people, they can have a bad day or a bad game and sometimes they lose their cool.

Win trading takes much more active participation and planning to engage in. It's not a "crime of passion" like some forms of raging can be.

This is why we treat the issues separately.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kjelle View Post
    Because he was obviously trying to abuse the system with 4 games, right? That's like raging 4 games and having your account perma banned.
    Actually, the team was in Diamond V Division already. And in past seasons it's only taken 5 games played on that team by a player in order to qualify for that team's ranked rewards.

So it's not entirely unsuspected to see abuse on a small level, especially in 3's.

But to address your other point, things like "raging" can happen because people are people, they can have a bad day or a bad game and sometimes they lose their cool.

Win trading takes much more active participation and planning to engage in. It's not a "crime of passion" like some forms of raging can be.

This is why we treat the issues separately.