@Ezreal

• Gah, not done posting, give me a sec to finish the replies to those pages!
  • Sorry for the repost, but I accidentally hit 'submit reply' too early...

Replies to pages 611-615.

Hey Guys,

I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to update this thread. Things at work have been pretty hectic lately (in a purely amazing way). So the first time I've had to repost on this thread is on vacation (just like when I first had a chance to start this thread =-P). I hope you'll forgive me, and I'll try to do this at least once a month from now on...if not more often.

As always feel free to check out my @RiotEzreal Twitter, as I'll always post in it whenever I post in this thread (just makes it easier to track).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dazschei View Post
    I always thought Lux was really similar to Morgana in terms of their kit. Drop-on-the-ground AoE, Snare, Shield.
    Absolutely, her kit was actually designed around taking the dark elements from morgana and seeing what they would feel like if they instead used light elements (primarily Q/W/E). Good catch!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ashxu View Post
    Will you guys ever redesign champions just because they could be more interesting or fun? (Opposed to redesigning champions because they need fixing)

I'm talking about someone like Wukong. He's not bad but c'mon, his kit is a bit bland. He only has one way to use his abilities. E -> Q -> R or W
    Well, our primary focuses in doing champion updates are as follows: make the character more fun, fix the core problems, and don't remove what make the character fun in the first place. So yes we redesign characters to make them more fun.

That being said, I don't believe we would update a character like Wukong. We specifically made his kit simple with easy combos and a single ability that can be used for amazing effects. Take for example a lot of our early champions. Yes they are easier to use than our newer champions, but that is by design. We want champions that new players can join the game and fully understand on their first play through. Having a wide range of characters in both skill level and play style only improves our play experience.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anime Jesus View Post
    Will Riot ever have a system where we can purchase the announcers voice to be something else? possibly popular champions?

Will we ever see Kog'maws daddy?! I love kog'maw, please tell me his Daddy will appear sometime soon!

Just also want to give my support for releasing Lissandra the Ice Dervish! I'm a huge fan of Sejuani and all of Freljord, please give me my third princess =D

More Sejuani skin please! are they on the works?
    I hope we offer players alternate announcer packs, though honestly it hasn't come up that often. I recently brought this up to one of our design departments, and we are going to look into it again.

As for Kog'maw's daddy...there is only one way that I could see him in our game...and that is in epic ridiculously large boss form. So here's hoping that we eventually do a void inspired map that will allow enough space for Kog'maw's dad to fit in.

Hmmm, that's +1 for Lissandra.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nostradamusss View Post
    please MR. ezreal, can you say to your riot team these bugs, because i wrote the trundle bug in the forum 1 year ago and still not fixed :/

"-Leona can reset auto attack after her Q (like old garen with bug before it got fixed)
    -Trundle Q base damage cannot crit.
    -shaco clone does not take into account AD runes"
    The Leona note is not a bug. On next hit abilities should all reset your auto attacks. Learn it and love it, it grants a butt ton of extra damage.
    I'll bring up the Trundle bug.
    I'll bring up the Shaco clone bug.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RunsWithScizzors View Post
    Why don't you design champions anymore?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oddish33 View Post
    Are you the main designer on any champs right now? If not, then what are you doing at riot right now?
    Well, I transitioned from designing individual champions to leading the champion ideation process (initial art/design/theme) some time after releasing Ahri. Recently I have also joined the Creative Design team in coming up with awesome new ways to integrate lore into our game (GIVE ME IDEAS HERE!!!).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rivayne View Post
    Ezreal are you over 9000?
    Not since release...and Ezreal was wayyyyyy over 9000 on that patch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LeagueøƒLegends View Post
    If someone was looking to get into the gaming field as game journalist or working inside Riot on the community part for example dealing with the community, handling Q&A and support tickets, do you have any suggestions for a major?
    There are plenty of colleges which focus on journalism, and if you don't go to one then simply get a degree in Writing. As for ways to get into the community, simply put your face out there. I have met tons of people who simply became known in our community from making youtube videos, or starting up league websites. Good luck!

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by hurdygurdy View Post
    Hey Erzeal,

Will there be a concept similar to Link and Toon Link, Pikachu and Pichu being in Smash Bros? Like Older version of Annie(that many wanted) and pre-mechanized&rebuild Urgot. They can have similar skills or same but more powerful but lacking in aspects that their younger/previous counterparts have and vice versa, etc. If not as a released champion but as skins?

Thanks!

edit: YAY! For looking over J4's ult bug!
    </td></tr></table>
    Well, we have already done this in the past with a few champions. Lux has a number of inspirations from Morgana, and Darius has a number of inspirations from Garen (spinning to win, and his own brand of execute). And heck, I would love to have a time assassin who takes inspiration from Zilean...though there hasn't been traction on that for years =-P.

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Koechophe View Post
    Hey ezreal, you've answered so many questions, and I really appreciate it. I want to ask you a question that I CANNOT find the answer to anywhere.

Why was ap lulu so nerfed? She was op, but now ap lulu mid isn't considered viable, and I remember specifically hearing that ap mid lulu was supposed to be preserved.
    </td></tr></table>
    There were two primary problems: Support Lulu would deal too much damage late game, and AP lulu would dole out too much support late game. She simply did two different roles too well, and had to be brought in line with one of them. As such, we opted to keep her in a support role.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Insanity Cow View Post
    Ezreal:

do you like waffles
    </td></tr></table>
    YES, in fact, there is a glorious chicken and waffles place just down the street from the Riot office.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigolfish View Post
    Hey Ezreal,

Are there any plans (even if very long-term ones) to remake/redesign champions that are considered "unfun" to play against? To name the three worst offenders: Yorick, Darius and Teemo.

I do NOT think any of them are overpowered, but I do agree that they are just plain unfun to play against. There's so little counterplay option available besides "kite darius" "try to ignore Teemo" and "survive Yorick and hope his carry sucks".
    </td></tr></table>
    Yes. There are three primary reasons to remake champions: they are not fun to play as, they are not fun to play against, and they simply don't fit in the game. Now each of these can be remade based on a designers opinion of them. But playing against is one of the primary metrics we take into account when remaking champions.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RasaQ View Post
    Can you kill this thread and start a new one? It's just too big to comfortably sort through the relevant/recent stuff.
    </td></tr></table>
    Perhaps someday, but the purpose of this thread is not to go through all of the comments. Jebus, this thread started years ago so there is a ton of outdated info. So rather than constantly make new threads, I just focus on updating it every month or so.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MEOW1337KITTEH View Post
    What do you think about mana/energy stealing items? Possibly an active that uses the opponents mana to cast your own spell?

Example: Veigar uses the *insert name of item* against a Nunu. Veigar then ults (would use 150 mana lets say) and instead of the mana being reduced from Veigar, it is stolen from Nunu instead. This would only be able to work in a direct relation (Energy steals energy, mana steals mana, etc.)
    </td></tr></table>
    We have removed spells and items which have done this in the past. Check out Zileas's post on Anti Fun Patterns to learn more!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fantasia Lopez View Post
    I have 2 questions:
    1) Can we expect a new female AD ranged carry anytime soon? The past few have been Graves, Draven, and Varus. The top 3 are Ezreal, Corki, and Graves. The female AD ranged carries could use some new woman-power.
    2) Can we get a new mage that is ice based? We have Anivia but I just don't feel it with her. When I say ice mage I think of Crystal Maiden, Lich, or AA from DOTA rather than Anivia. I guess more than anything I'd like a freeze and the slow debuff.
    </td></tr></table>
    1 and 2) 2013 will be a good year for you...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fomorian27 View Post
    Dear Ezreal,

I am about to undertake a massive undertaking: to read all 309 posts from start to finish. Wish me luck?

As for questions, I have 3:

- How is it that you are able to maintain a thread of this size? From past experience I know you answer most if not all of the questions. Do you think other rioters might do something like this as well?

- I believe that every skillshot, apart from nautilus' dredge line, can travel through walls. Are there any plans to make another skillshot that doesn't travel through walls?

- Zigg's bouncing bomb explodes on impact with turrets. What led to this design choice?

- Have you thought about adding a champ that has the ability to deflect skillshots with a skillshot? Say someone is aiming a mystic shot at you and you deflect it to the side. Any design problems with this?
    </td></tr></table>
    Whyyyyy would you do that to yourself!!! Though for doing it I will answer a few of your questions =-P:
    1) Haha, I haven't been able to keep up very well recently...and I mostly post here on weekends and vacations. So it's not too sustainable for the average Rioter.
    2) Skill shots will generally travel through walls unless they have an express gameplay reason to interact with walls. For example: a skill shot which bounces off walls, a skill shot that attaches a mine to a wall.
    3) Zigg's bouncing bomb explodes on terrain, and turrets count as terrain.
    4) We have considered it, and ultimately decided that it doesn't add great gameplay. We would rather have a shield that blocks skillshots (imagine a shield that extends to 3x the length of a champ that would block skill shots coming at him).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jokod View Post
    Dayum.
    615 pages of text, 309 riot posts.
    Is anyone actually reading this far?
    </td></tr></table>
    I hope not...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seiferoth View Post
    Ezreal, How dare you get me addicted to this game by designing Jarvan IV my first champion? :P
    </td></tr></table>
    Le wewt?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by michelada View Post
    Ez don't u think that the release of syndra and kha zix its a little unfair for viktor players?, with syndra u only have to max your abilities to gain the bonus and kha zix gets an evolution every 6 lvls, meanwhile viktor has an item slot occupied by an item that late game its a little weak , only the red core worth the money the other 2 are really weak in term on stats, also viktor only can upgrade one of his abilities.

I know that riot want to innovate with new mechanics , but try to innovate with mechanics that work and are fair for the other champs , also his E has been bugged since release and never was touch.

if u release more balanced champs the less champs u need to rework.
    </td></tr></table>
    Not at all, they each have their own design space, and having a unique item is within Viktor's design space. I would actually say the problem you are facing is the power of Viktor's item slot. Personally, I would love to see it get a tier 2 item upgrade, to make it more worth the slot.
  • Replies to pages 616-620.

Hey Guys,

At least one more for the night...though I'm getting sleepy

As always feel free to check out my @RiotEzreal Twitter, as I'll always post in it whenever I post in this thread (just makes it easier to track).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by G0tCaughtGG View Post
    Hey, Ez thanks for keeping it Real in this thread!

first i want to ask, can you give some info on the new S3 itemization that everyone has been notoriously running a muck around town...
    </td></tr></table>
    Ah, sorry for taking so long that the S3 itemization changes actually went live...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CommanderShepard View Post
    We need to know, as always- What is the current state of Tempus?
    </td></tr></table>
    Permanent hiatus. Though I'd still love to see him some day.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SoloDragoon View Post
    Ezreal I love kha'zix as a champion. Lots of fun. But while playing him I always tell myself, I wish he had a passive that he could move over terrain (climb walls/over trees) I wanted to know what your thought for that would be on a future champion?

While it sounds OP there are a few easy ways to counter it (if taken damage, or used a ability in X seconds) kind of thing.
    </td></tr></table>
    I could see an ability like this used sparingly (i.e. not as a passive). Perhaps an ultimate which allows a champion free reign over terrain for a short period of time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BestUrfNACakez View Post
    Hello Ezreal!

Firstly, I would like to say Thanks for answering all these questions!

Okay, I'm a Yordle sorta guy :3 and just 2 questions.

1; Will there be another Yordle Jungler in the next year?
    2; Will there ever be a Bandle city map? If so, can I make a suggestion that Yordles only can play this map.

Thanks for reading!
    </td></tr></table>
    1) Barring unforeseen circumstances, yes.
    2) Maybe, though there are no plans for one now. It does sound pretty cute though =-P.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrosukeAwesomura View Post
    hey Ezreal, i was wondering!

with the scale of riot games, does league of legends has creative guidelines when it comes to champions? like a lsit or facts to what makes a demacians or Noxians and such when designing them?

for example: most demacians champions have

-silver armors
    -golden accents to it
    -Blue cloth
    -and most have shoulder pads like armor

is it something that you do when designing these days? I'm a indie art designer myself and i was wondering if you guys were using that technique.
    </td></tr></table>
    Well, we have a number of guidelines when creating new champions, though we haven't always followed them. For example, I wish we found a way to better integrate Vayne into Demacia. She still doesn't feel very Demacian to me.

My suggestion, when creating a game which is going to focus on different regions, start off with a creative template. Know the core values of the area, their insignia, their words (see Game of Thrones for this), and their colors. It will save you a lot of effort in the long run.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baneson View Post
    Thanks for the response Ezreal!

Thanks for doing this!
    </td></tr></table>
    =-D

Posts like this make it all worth it!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sabrestrike View Post
    Honestly, two or three things could be done to make Tiamat viable/useful. First and most importantly, make it toggle on/off by pressing the item number. When a champ doesn't want to push it's a bad item to have.

Second, choose a better stat pool for the item. Health/mana regen typically aren't relevant for the kinds of champions that would build the item (pick axe + long sword + dagger or recurve bow as an alternative, maybe?).

Lastly, it could maybe use a buff on either the AoE damage or AoE radius, but make the effect unique like almost every other unique passive. This would limit abuse cases of like, five Tiamat stacking.
    </td></tr></table>
    Well, what do you think of the new Tiamat. And moreover, what do you think of Ravening Hydra. I have only tried it out on Olaf on ARAM, and it was crazy go nuts!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandox View Post
    heimerdinger,...
    please i beg you give us an update on him

i heared somewhere a riot staff saying that the remake will be don before season 2 ends or something. butt there is still no new about it

i love heimer and really like to know if there is anything new about it.
    </td></tr></table>
    Still planned, we just need the art resources to do it. Basically we had it mostly done and then Xyph was put on the S3 item overhaul. You can guess which project was more important.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Probably Singed View Post
    Here's my question. Where the hell did the lore go?
    </td></tr></table>
    We refocused where the lore department should focus. Rather than giving small bits of trivial information we instead focused on drilling down on our IP internally. Now we feel that we can do more interesting and better things. 2013 will be a good year for lore!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hartar View Post
    Hey Ez do you guys think to make more Zaun champions?
    </td></tr></table>
    Yes.

Quote:
    Lissandra the ice dervish!
    </td></tr></table>
    Yes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotheus View Post
    I pulled this from a champ idea of mine, the idea of a Mimic

R: Gluttony, ACTIVE: Kreek dives forward (130 Range) to Devour and Surpress targeted enemy for 3.25 seconds and deals damage to them on impact. When enemy is devoured they become untargetable (by anyone). Kreek gains 40% of devoured enemy's Magic Resist and Armor and 20% of their HP as a shield. When Gluttony ends the enemy will be dropped in front of Kreek.
    </td></tr></table>
    Haha, that reminds me of the Onos from the game 'Natural Selection'. This was actually the first design space for Cho'Gath's ultimate. However, it ran into a few problems. Players would use this on a character that they wanted to kill, and then skill shots that were aimed at them would miss. So rather than kill the enemy champion, you would sometimes save them. It led to really frustrated allies.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GoddessIsabel View Post
    Hey Ez!

Thanks for taking time to be bombarded with questions again! haha!

Quick question, is Ashe gonna get some love soon? Watching so many champions can eat her for breakfast is breaking my heart... and it hurts... alot...owww....*sniff* ;(
    </td></tr></table>
    I don't believe so, though I could be wrong. And to be fair, she is still seeing some really high level tournament play in Korea.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DsGBiohazard View Post
    Must...
    Resist...
    Cat girl Ezreal...
    </td></tr></table>
    ...hate...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ursa Arçadius View Post
    Ezreal can we please have a chat about Volibear, I can't seem to find Volty so you're the next best thing.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2182697

He has been completely ignored for so long, his player base is tiny (and dwindling) and he has so many issues (ranging from bugs to horrid usability).
    </td></tr></table>
    Volty still wants to go back and look at that character. Give him time, and keep pestering him!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EpikMagikarp View Post
    Hey Ezreal! It was really nice meeting you at the S2 Finals and I wanted to say thanks again for the Riot Graves code! Really appreciated the fact that you (and I think he said he was Jestercapp?) waited all that time to accompany that group of people at the swagbag line from beginning to end (that line was ridiculous btw :P). Was mind-blown to find out that Mordekaiser was named after that girl you waited in line with, care to go more in-depth? :P
    </td></tr></table>
    Haha, that was a ton of fun, and a really long conversation.

As for the Mordekaiser story...well...it's actually pretty simple. My girlfriend's name on AIM (Aol Instant Messanger) has been Mordekaiser ever since she was 10. It was pretty much the easiest character to name that we've ever had. I mean, come on, how badass is that name?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darkomantis View Post
    Hey Ezreal,

I would like to know your current thoughts on Gangplank. He is still a good champ but it lagging behind the newer champions and recently buffed champions. I was wondering if Gangplank could get:

1. Bonus Armor and Magic Resistance after he uses W(Orange)?
    2. Slightly or % decreased Armor and Magic Resistance on people who are in his ult?
    </td></tr></table>
    He's still pretty cool. Heck, check out 'Elementalist' gangplank. I just watched one of our live designers go a full on elemental build: Iceborn Gauntlet, Statik Shiv, and one other I can't remember, perhaps Ravenous Hydra.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hartar View Post
    Hey Ezreal what is your inspiration for you to create a champion?
    </td></tr></table>
    Inspirations come from a lot of different areas. Sometimes it comes from gameplay (Oriana was originally called Ball Girl), sometimes from art (Nami was simply an awesome Mermaid), and sometimes from theme (some future champion might have come out in lore before anything else).
  • Replies to pages 621-625.

Ok, last post as I've finally gotten up to date!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xaxus View Post
    Hey Ezreal, is your right arm as strong as Tryndamere's?
    </td></tr></table>
    No one's right arm is as strong as Tryndameres...except for maybe Trogdor.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagikShot View Post
    Hey Ezreal
    You should check out Shushei's team (I Want Cookie) or stream sometime
    he plays Ap Ezreal and havent lost with it in tournaments, yet.
    </td></tr></table>
    Awesome, I miss watching Shushei's Gragas! And now I get to see AP Ez too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KoopaBlizzard View Post
    Hi Ezreal,

I've been pondering it for a while now, have you ever played Dark Cloud? If so, you know that cat girl with the slingshot? I'd love to see a champion with that kind of weapon. I've taken notice already that here at LoL you guys base a lot of champions off other things, and that's really cool. So maybe make the cat girl an option? Thanks for the thought.

-KoopaBlizzard
    </td></tr></table>
    I've played Dark Cloud 1 & 2, so I do remember the catgirl with a slingshot. And yea, I could see a slingshot as a weapon, but it is pretty far down the list of potential powerful weapons in my mind.

Quote:
    Ezreal, Ezreal uses the left glove right? Will we ever receive a champion with the right glove? I love Ezreal concept thank you very much for creating him
    </td></tr></table>
    We actually considered this for a dark magic user recently, though we ultimately canned this character because he wasn't quite reaching the ultimate evil magic feel that we needed him to.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tsubasayaiba View Post
    I was wondering if there were any plans for more energy or fury system champs. With Lee sin being the most recent energy champion, I was wondering if the energy system was just dead.
    </td></tr></table>
    Hooray for Zed! He ain't dead...

Quote:
    Besides the support that morello teased cannot wear shoes. Are there any other support champs in the works? 9 months it will be most likely between Lulu and this support which is way to long have you thought about making 3 supports a year?
    </td></tr></table>
    Well, we work on champions as far as 8 months ahead of time. So yes, there is at least one more support in the works. And HE...is one of the coolest characters I have seen in League of Legends.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Candidness View Post
    Hi Ezreal,

There have been a few threads on this with no red response yet:

Make Lux's E (Lucent Singularity) and Gragas' Q (Barrel) castable a second time while they're travelling so they detonate on arrival instantly instead of having to wait for it to land before being allowed to re-cast..

Maximum harass range and burst speed are noticeably slower with higher pings like Australians which handicaps them. This can be easily fixed by making those spells castable a second time while they're in air/ rolling.
    </td></tr></table>
    I love this idea and I will pass it on to the live design team.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Penterwast View Post
    Have you considered a (maybe sand worm-like) champion where the abilities are based on moving around underground?

For instance:

An ability that moves the champion underground for a few seconds, gaining resistances and making them unable to autoattack, but enabling another ability that has them do AoE damage above them, or just constantly doing AoE damage above them.
    An ability that has them dig under a wall to a set point.
    An ultimate, where they dig down and move to a point and burst out of the ground, doing knockback/damage/slow.
    </td></tr></table>
    Well, yes. We have considered making a Yordle in a drill tank. Imagine an ultimate where the drill tank goes underground and pops up in a targeted area, dealing damage and creating a one way tunnel that your allies can go through... CRAZY INITIATOR!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apocagenocitis View Post
    So why hasn't Urgot been remade yet? Im not mad about it (Yes I am) but i haven't even heard anything about an Urgot remake at all. Last I had heard someone had labeled him as a mistake of a champion.
    </td></tr></table>
    It turns out remaking Urgot is hard, really really hard. And he is another character that clashed with season 3. We simply needed to ask ourselves what was more important, remaking Urgot or updating all of our items, masteries, jungle, and more.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kraony View Post
    Ezreal i have a little question for you...
    In the League we have monsters, kids, ninjas, archers, a thing that spits to people....but, for some reason, we don't have any Samurai (I know, Samurai Yi and Warlord Shen, but they don't count, they are skins, not full champions), so, why u don't include a Samurai champion?, it would give more diversity to the League, and sincerely, i would buy him/her.
    Please, answer me, i want a Samurai
    </td></tr></table>
    Well, we are constantly looking to fill common archetypes that we have missed, and we definitely still have space for a true samurai in our game.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by frais histoire View Post
    Hey ezreal i was just wondering what is ez wearing in his original skin
    </td></tr></table>
    Check out some Ezreal cosplay, those people know what they are doing.

Quote:
    Dear ezreal, you've explored the concept of directionality in the past with mechanics like mocking shout that only slows when the target's back is turned, or cass' ult which only stuns when the target is facing you, but how about a champ that takes less damage from one direction than another? Say, he's got a giant shield, so he takes less damage from the front than when he's retreating. If you feel that's too restrictive, how about a champ that can alter the direction from which he can take less damage, say a psionic mage that moves a psionic force field around his body?
    </td></tr></table>
    Yes, I fully expect that we will do this some day (directional shields for damage mitigation). Also, that's a pretty crazy awesome idea for the psionic mage. I'll have to think about that more to figure out how to make it feel great.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WabbitMonster View Post
    heya Ezreal,

1) any news on Katarina and Cassiopeas' father or the champ who killed him(if its the champ who killed him will we be seeing Talon defect from Noxus?)

2) i don't suppose you have any digging based champs in the works

3)is Sion in the list of reworks and if so any hints as to whats being changed.

4)would it be too unfun if a champ could spawn a bush or remove a bit of terrain

5) will a delay of game start ( like on dominion you cant leave the well for a few seconds) ever be implemented on Sumoners Rift or Twisted Treeline that way everyone could buy items and get to lane regardless of how slow their comp is at relatively the same time

6) when will the phantom theif Caitlyn is chasing make an appearance

7)Lastly will we be seeing any champs or at least maps of the other 2 known continents on Runeterra
    </td></tr></table>
    1) Not yet, but who knows.
    2) Haha, I was just talking about the Yordle Drill Tank. But he is not currently in the works.
    3) Not sure unfortunately.
    4) Well, Caitlyn's original kit used to spawn brush (instead of her trap). So I could see it happening...though there were plenty of reasons to avoid this ability: weird interactions in lane, weird interactions with monsters, and more...
    5) I don't think so. The delay for Dominion is more about the style of map: an objective based map where the objectives can be taken at minute 1.
    6) I could see this happening in the future. But I would like to see that phantom thief be upgraded to something more awesome first...
    7) We still have plenty of Valoran to discover before checking out other areas of Runeterra.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IS1e1336cdef530a View Post
    Ezreal have you forgot this thread :3 ?
    </td></tr></table>
    Nope =-D
  • Replies to pages 621-625. Ok...does anyone else find it ridiculous that we are over 625 pages on this thread?

On a side note, pretty embarrassed about this, but it turns out I already answered a bunch of these questions last time. Ah well, I hit a bunch more from those pages.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaiMinG View Post
    YO EZ!

dont u think both nashor's tooth and malady is so under use?
    and i do think this 2 item is 2 similar

why dont we make it combine into one which means maybe malady is made wif like 1 dagger and tomb
    lowering the atk speed to 25 or 30 and lowering the stack of magic resist reduction

but it can be upgrade into nashor's tooth, wif the full malady's effect wif a lowered cdr maybe

it should be a great item and useful and create a new game play style on some hybrid like kayle teemo even diana and elise!
    </td></tr></table>
    Nashor's Tooth has always been a painful item to buy due to it's stats composition. Few champions need AP, Atk Spd, AP, Mana Regen, and CDR. We hope to assuage this by removing the most painful, and restrictive stat: Mana Regen. After we do that we'll see how it does and adjust accordingly.

As for Malady...I am actually surprised it is not being used more. With the recent buffs to penetration in season 3 it strikes me as a very powerful item. This is one that I would rather sit back and watch rather than potentially overbuff.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aphoristic View Post
    If I recall correctly, Nidalee is on the list of champions receiving art updates. Is there any chance she will also be updated to be similar to Jayce and Elise whom have their ultimates available at level 1? Right now, her cougar form abilities scale with ranks of her ultimate instead of ranks of the skills, yet you cannot use those skills without at least one point in them. It just seems odd to me.
    </td></tr></table>
    We like the fact that Nidalee has a different feel to other transforming champions such as Jayce and Elise. We try to avoid core feel changes on champions whenever we look back at updating them. That and to be honest, Nidalee is still pretty dang fun. She mostly needs some bug fixes.

Quote:
    Hey Ezreal
    You should check out Shushei's team (I Want Cookie) or stream sometime
    he plays Ap Ezreal and havent lost with it in tournaments, yet.
    </td></tr></table>
    Awesome, I'll check it out!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KoopaBlizzard View Post
    Hi Ezreal,

I've been pondering it for a while now, have you ever played Dark Cloud? If so, you know that cat girl with the slingshot? I'd love to see a champion with that kind of weapon. I've taken notice already that here at LoL you guys base a lot of champions off other things, and that's really cool. So maybe make the cat girl an option? Thanks for the thought.

-KoopaBlizzard
    </td></tr></table>
    I loved Dark Cloud 1 & 2. It provided a great dungeon delve matched up with city building that I never really experienced before. It's really too bad that the series / genre dissipated with only 2 showings.

That being said, I could see a champion with a sling shot some day. Though there is always the problem with making the sling shot a 'powerful' weapon. We have toyed with the idea of making the sling shot fire alchemical globes of dangerous chemicals (think Molotov cocktails). It might be something cool to experiment with in the future, but we have no plans to make one right now.

Quote:
    Ezreal, Ezreal uses the left glove right? Will we ever receive a champion with the right glove? I love Ezreal concept thank you very much for creating him
    </td></tr></table>
    Haha, we have toyed with the idea of having Ezreal's glove come from a set, and passing on one or more of it to future champions. Again, very cool, but we don't want to overplay the 'powerful artifact' too many times. Each time we do it we risk diminishing the cool factor of older champions with the trope such as Ezreal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by S3thes View Post
    Have you guys ever thought about giving an ability power based champion a toggled ablility that gives their basic attacks a similar effect to twitch's spray and pray, but it deals magic damage and it only scales off the ability power on the champion?

For some reason I really think this would help build a case for that ability power champion to go bottom in the standard attack damage carry slot in the current meta.Really kinda shake thing up and encourage people to try new things.
    </td></tr></table>
    We have rarely had success with ability power champions focusing on auto attacks (Kennen is one of the few). That being said, I do definitely think we could try out a full out AP auto attacker. It would certainly mess with the meta in the bottom lane...hmmm, saying that out loud reminds me that I really wanted to try that... I wonder what sort of thematic archetype would fit the role of AP auto attacker. Ideas?

Quote:
    Dear Ezreal

I'm a huge fan of League of Legends, and i would like to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind

1-Have you ever thought in up-date some champs?, i mean, rework some champs to fit them in the chronological date or facts on their lores (Annie can't be a kid forever, and in the lore, the Summoners promised Maokai to return him to his original form)

2-What do you think about a champ with a passive that involves other champions abilities or circumstances? ex: a champion that uses a Lighting rod to take reduced damage from electric-based abilities (Ryze's Q and E, or Xerath's Q and R)

3- Will there be a Poison-based champion? (Not like Singed or Teemo, which only have one or two poisons, i mean a full poison user, throwing poison bottles, poisoned Needles or some kind of poisoned knives)

4- Last Question... Why there is not a Water based champ yet?, a champ who can control water to attack enemies (Water Bending FTW!!!), we already have Fire, Earth, Wind, but any Water.....I want a Elemental Team

I hope you will read this and maybe answer me (Sorry for my English)
    </td></tr></table>
    1) We considered doing this in the past, but it encounters two problems. First off, the work output to gain is pretty minimal in most cases. Second, the changes to characters like annie or nunu has the potential to be more negative than positive to players who actually like them how they are. Though I have to admit, it would be pretty funny to see a full grown adult riding on the yeti.

2) True counters are pretty bad design in a competitive game. They lead to painful counter picks and a lot of extra information required. There are other ways to get this feel into the game. For example, champions with sunglasses take one less damage from Leona.

3) Well, we already have 3 poison champs (you forgot Cassiopeia who has 2 types of poisons). So while we do have space to explore the Rogue poison choosing archetype, it would probably be a while until we tried it out.

4) Ah, this question must have been asked before Nami =-P.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nozumu View Post
    Hey ez, what do you think about slowing down a unit's turn rate as a new debuff?
    </td></tr></table>
    That would negatively impact the feel of a character in ways they would not entirely understand. So while it sounds pretty neat and would add gameplay, I think the overall negative value associated with it outweighs the positive.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Penterwast View Post
    Have you considered a (maybe sand worm-like) champion where the abilities are based on moving around underground?

For instance:

An ability that moves the champion underground for a few seconds, gaining resistances and making them unable to autoattack, but enabling another ability that has them do AoE damage above them, or just constantly doing AoE damage above them.
    An ability that has them dig under a wall to a set point.
    An ultimate, where they dig down and move to a point and burst out of the ground, doing knockback/damage/slow.
    </td></tr></table>
    I think I've talked about a Yordle riding in a drill tank a few times, a character who we thought might be cool but ultimately decided to pass on. Imagine an ultimate that would drill a hole between two areas (knocking back enemies) and providing a one way exit for your allies. Imagine the Baron/Dragon assaults!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrGrumpyPants View Post
    Ez, Super Teemo needs a sidekick, how about lulu? and why not give him an entire super group of yordles? The justice friends (fields of justice amirite?). Got your gadget guy Rumble, not-all-there-but-has-lots-of-purple mystic Lulu, super-strong female Poppy, and heavy weapons expert Tristana.

Their arch-nemesis would be Veigar the master of doom and gloves, with his simply misunderstood henchman Amumu, and Kennen. Every bad guy team needs a ninja.

You have the technology, it can be done.
    </td></tr></table>
    THAT IS ADORABLE!!!

Quote:
    Ezreal i have a little question for you...
    In the League we have monsters, kids, ninjas, archers, a thing that spits to people....but, for some reason, we don't have any Samurai (I know, Samurai Yi and Warlord Shen, but they don't count, they are skins, not full champions), so, why u don't include a Samurai champion?, it would give more diversity to the League, and sincerely, i would buy him/her.
    Please, answer me, i want a Samurai
    </td></tr></table>
    We try to hit well known archetypes in ways that differentiate them from other games. We only have 100+ champs right now, there are still plenty more basic archetypes to hit. On that note, what other archetypes have we missed out on?

Quote:
    Dear ezreal, you've explored the concept of directionality in the past with mechanics like mocking shout that only slows when the target's back is turned, or cass' ult which only stuns when the target is facing you, but how about a champ that takes less damage from one direction than another? Say, he's got a giant shield, so he takes less damage from the front than when he's retreating. If you feel that's too restrictive, how about a champ that can alter the direction from which he can take less damage, say a psionic mage that moves a psionic force field around his body?
    </td></tr></table>
    I personally love that mechanic, though it comes with a bit of scariness. In a game with 0 turning radius time, with enough reaction speed you could potentially reduce all incoming damage (assuming a single source). This might require us to tone down the numbers to the point of it not feeling good. That all being said, I could definitely see us trying it out in the future.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IS1e1336cdef530a View Post
    Ezreal have you forgot this thread :3 ?
    </td></tr></table>
    Nope!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lolgibby View Post
    Ezreal make a new thread pls
    </td></tr></table>
    Nope =-P
  • Replies to pages 626-630.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rauron View Post
    Oh my goodness, he's back! I'd completely forgotten about these threads to be honest. Where does one begin?

What do you think was the biggest success of the S3 patch? The biggest failure? What has you most concerned right now? How is the LoL e-sports scene, and what do the pros have to say so far? When will we hear something actually substantive about lore? What color is your hair? Sweatshirts, or jackets?
    </td></tr></table>
    1) I love the new items, it's given me a great opportunity to try out champions I haven't played in a long time.
    2) Haven't seen a biggest failure yet.
    3) Armor Penetration scares me a fair amount, especially Black Cleaver's Armor Reduction.
    4) The e-sports scene is going phenomenally and every player I have talked to is excited.
    5) The creative team is excited to make things better across the board, and they're pretty aligned with what the community wants. We just need time to do it!
    6) Blonde.
    7) Jackets.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reynfall View Post
    Hey Ez, couple of champion related questions:

What was the idea behind making Talon's passive working with his autoattacks rather than his abilities? It contradicts the way his kit works.

What are your thoughts about Zed? Many people find him UP. Personally, I agree with them, and I think he needs some buffs.
    </td></tr></table>
    The champion's designer wanted his Auto Attacks to have some impact on the kit and not be just a physical caster.

ZED IS SUPER POWERFUL!!! He is a scarey beast.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexanderNW View Post
    Ezreal y u flash
    </td></tr></table>
    Cuz I wanna...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CynicalGiant View Post
    You made Sion right? When you going to fix him?

Playing him AD seems to flow the most, albeit it still has glaring issues. AP Sion doesn't really ever use his E or his Ult, but AD sion uses the stun for chasing and the shield for extra survivabilty. I am assuming Sion was supposed to be an AD bruiser before AD scaling was a thing.
    </td></tr></table>
    Well, Sion was designed to be an offensive tank, however he deviated from this when players focused on his AP build. Over time we have considered making him more focused on AD, but shied away from it since it goes counter to how the majority of the community enjoys playing him. Honestly, I am not sure if we should change him into a AD focused champion at this point.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotBuzzJack View Post
    You want new ways to integrate lore into the game? Well get those voice actors in the studio and start making more character interactions.
    </td></tr></table>
    Sounds like a great idea, and it is certainly something that we are moving towards. Check out Vi as a great example of this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iorek View Post
    Will we ever see champion interactions with Ezreal? Like a new champion with some hidden passive / special quotes, even a lore rework, something with Lux.. (DO THAT PAIRING ALREADY!!)
    Idk.. he feels so.. lonely.
    </td></tr></table>
    Haha, RiotRunaan would love to hear you say that.

Champion interactions is something that we truly love integrating into the game, but as it is a new feature, it is not that easy getting previous voice actors into the studio to help out for such a small number of interactions. New champions will have a much easier time getting VO interaction (so hopefully we can get a new champ who interacts with EZ).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Turtle Rojas View Post
    I think something interesting to integrate would be chat/actions between characters. Just hidden extras for special characters when they are together based on lore. Has this ever been brought up before?

It would be interesting to see sejuani and ashe argue, kha and rengar to fight together, shen and zed ninja showdown over the death of the master, yordles talking about, etc.
    </td></tr></table>
    Check out Vi, she has some awesome interactions in the game.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seadawg View Post
    Hey Ez, thanks for updating the thread again!

What do you think about the new loss of capability for most AP Mids? The new armor penetration changes are making it so that AD bruisers scale better and offer now a better early, mid, and late game than their AP counterparts. Was that intended?

Also, will there ever be a resurgence of lore, or have you guys given up on it? It was one of the roots that kept me into the game and I have realized that I know hardly anything about the new champions as I do of the old.
    </td></tr></table>
    We are investigating this. We are looking into improving some core AP itemization, as well as nerfing AD champions who are out of line in the mid lane.

We absolutely have not given up on lore. We want to find new and better ways of integrating it into our game and giving it to our fans. Personally I think it adds a lot of flavor to our game, and I could deal with seeing more of it in the future.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snoove View Post
    So, Ez, last time I asked you about mana shields, you kinda said they wouldn't be much good in LoL.
    But what if they didn't work like in WarIII?
    Like, ''You take % reduced damage. For each point of damage reduced you loose X points of mana.'' You know, not block all the damage and become manaless, or block all damage and be unkillable?
    </td></tr></table>
    That would work better, but then you have the problem of going oom (out of mana) while blocking damage, which is generally not too much fun. Having an ability that just blocks x amount of damage for a flat mana cost is generally more balancable and fun than an ability that can block ~ amount of damage for x + ~ mana.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CCC Powerhead View Post
    You got new ideas for udyr? i mean his kit is so old, today i was playing a ranked and it was very demoralizing try to chase someone, every new champion have leaps, blink, and jumps, and i was there trying to do something ... but well eating slows and hard poke...

PD: sorry bad english.
    </td></tr></table>
    We have added a new mastery to help out older champions like Udyr with Kiting (the anti Slow Mastery). And we are currently looking into itemization which will help champions like this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VandaI Twitch View Post
    On a different note, a concept that I always loved was that Caitlyn's "C" was actually herself, a part of her that she never knew and one that she seems unable to control, or so.. She was the one committing all the crimes, "C"aitlyn.
    Perhaps a more magical approach...this would be the easiest to make sense of it all.
    Or maybe it was created to cover up all of her crimes. But this would ruin the character.

Not a possibility, is it?
    </td></tr></table>
    I have always loved that personality...and I kinda hope that it's true. But who knows, only time will tell.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PoDragonSlayer View Post
    Wow, I'm amazed that you are willing to use some of your vacation time to reply to this thread. Thanks so much for coming back to this thread. It does not go unnoticed or unappreciated. Devotion like this really makes Riot stand out from the rest.
    </td></tr></table>
    Vacation and weekends =-P. Just gotta make it happen!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Raptearer View Post
    Have you guys ever thought about doing a sand based champion? Like one whose abilities could be summoning quicksand to root or slow enemies, or summoning a sandstorm to reduce enemy vision (like graves smokescreen) and/or does damage, maybe with an ult that causes a mirage or has an ability to turn himself into a pile of sand to avoid damage (like vlad with his blood pool)? I think the concept is really interesting, and would make for a pretty cool support.
    </td></tr></table>
    Sand is one of those core elements that we haven't really explored with mages yet. Heck, I would also love to see a shadow mage some day. What are some other elemental mage archetypes that we have missed out on?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotBuzzJack View Post
    I have this ult idea for a lightning/storm/electric themed assassin, and I want to know what you think of it.

Summons storm clouds in an area for a duration, during this time the champ can instantly blink to anywhere within the area via a bolt of lightning. However you are limited in the number of lightning strikes, when you are out of charges the skies clear.

Traveling via lightning just sounds cool. Originally my idea for such an ability was a near global range instant teleport, but that sounded like it would be really frustrating to deal with, even if I did find a way to balance it.
    </td></tr></table>
    Crazily enough we tried out both of those ideas on Ahri when she was in her development phase.

The blink zone ability ended up feeling too limited, and the global dash was just OP on Dominion. Wow, that reminds me, I need to go play a couple of rounds of dominion!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ordosan View Post
    I have yet to ask why people want urgot to be remade? I find him to be an amazing Bruiser/Tank. He has an armor shred dot, his passive reduces dmg,and his shield slows and his ult catches loose squishies and makes him talkier. ( and people always focus you cuz they think your an adc and not a tank)
    </td></tr></table>
    Urgot is pretty fun to play, but he adds a fair amount of anti fun to the game. He also encounters a few of Zileas's anti patterns, including the false choice that his acid/seeker missile creates. You think you can out distance it, but really you end up just reducing your dps while still taking a ton of dps from Urgot.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Warrikon View Post
    Thoughts on ap kog in season 3?
    </td></tr></table>
    Haven't seen it yet, BUT I WANT TO SO BADLY!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Decoylegends View Post
    Here's a shot. Maokai's W Twisted Advance resets jungle mobs. I don't think this should happen since he is a common jungler
    </td></tr></table>
    I'll pass it by the live team.
  • Replies to pages 631-640.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by exe3 View Post
    Caitlyn used to spawn brush? 0_o Could I ask how this was intended to work thematically and what sort of gameplay it was meant to add by itself or along with her kit?

Any word on the champion you were asking twitter about, the elemental themed animal like Anivia?

Any word on what has happened to all the old champion designers? You've explained what you've been doing but Coronach has been gone for ages as well as Guinsoo (he's surely been up to more than just the Karma remake) and others.

As for suggestions for lore in the game, champs need to reference each other left right and center, the current interactions feel more like easter eggs more than anything else when they should be seriously ingrained into champion dialogue. Yes this would increase champion dialogue 100 fold (not to mention the trouble retroactively adding in more dialogue both for current old champions and future champions) but if lore is being taken seriously I think it needs to happen.
    </td></tr></table>
    1) Well, I wanted a 'fake brush' sort of gameplay. Something that would feel similar to the 'fake treasure cubes' from mario cart. Where players see it and feel that something is out of place. I also wanted her to have a way to trigger her passive (don't forget that Caitlyn was made back when AD carries were mid lane, so she didn't have a lot of access to brush).

2) I'll talk about him more later, but the elemental hydra was a short lived idea that was ultimately passed on.

3) Most of the old school champion designers are helping out all across the company. For example, Geeves now leads the Live team!

4) Agreed, I would love to see more champion VO (voice over) interaction.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sainthobbit View Post
    Australian servers. Answer this question and gain eternal respect from a whole country of gamers
    </td></tr></table>
    I'm afraid I don't know anything about this topic. But if there is a large playerbase there then I am sure that we will try to help out the players as soon as possible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GlavTech View Post
    I got into a discussion with CertainlyT about this concept.

Is there a champion in the works planned to be a 'Pure' Jungler, like Skarner or Nocturne?
    </td></tr></table>
    It turns out there aren't really any true junglers. Most of the traits players need to jungle are very applicable to the top lane. For example, I play Nocturne as purely a top lane champion!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fox P McCloud View Post
    Ezreal, can we ever expect to see another melee carry? In the over 3 years LoL has been out we've only ever got one other one (Fiora), and all melee carry viable is highly questionable--not only this, it's the most ignored class in the game (only 3 characters total; GP got morphed into a fighter long ago), and they're all the most homogenous group in the game; they all have sustain, an AD steroid, gap closer, survivability steroid, and an MS/AS steroid (tryn has an AoE slow and crit chance instead), and some form of low to moderate AoE damage---additionally, all 3 are sword users.

Are we doing to have to wait another 3 years to get a melee carry or wait until another major game overhaul for melee carries to be viable or should melee carry enthusiasts just move on?
    </td></tr></table>
    We want to explore the melee dps class more. But to be honest, it is pretty dang hard. High dps classes are generally glass cannons, champions who are capable of dealing high amounts of dps while also not able to take high amounts of damage. The best way of dealing with this is range. Thus, melee range champions fail on this aspect almost instantly. So we end up having to create short scenarios where they can output their dps (Master Yi's Highlander, Fiora's Bladewaltz). That being said, we are looking at making a new melee dps. But it will take time as it is a very difficult class to figure out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eruza View Post
    Hey Ezreal, I'm going to start of by saying Final Fantasy is my favorite set of games ever. On this note, consider the Red Mage: useful in offensive magic, defensive magic, and swordsmanship; but a master of none. Now consider the recent new unique passive "Spellblade" and see where I am going with this. A melee champion with an AD and AP ratio kit (not on the same skills) that relies on using spell effects modifying his auto to sustain in lane and deal damage. And I'm not talking about Yorick.
    </td></tr></table>
    Interesting, we were just discussing this in the office recently. We discussed how the 'main character' of many fantasy series is the classic mage knight (the hero who can both wield a sword and cast magic). We dig the idea, but can't find a way to differentiate it enough from Draven. Thoughts?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor Swole View Post
    hey ezreal remember me ?

i asked you for your autograph
    i was like ez can you sign my boob
    but then it turned out i was a guy and you were like do not want for a good minute irl before replying
    it was in an aram
    </td></tr></table>
    ...wat?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celebi View Post
    A fan made a champion concept about Horus a long time ago already, everyone already knows that if another egyptian champion related to Nasus and Renekton or their world would have to be Horus or Ra.
    </td></tr></table>
    I remember that one, his art work was pretty bomb. He had amazing details on that character.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kinperor View Post
    Hey Ezreal,

Couple of questions here:

1) When are we going to see more battlecast skins? I'm a huge fan of those and the champions announced by the sneak peak of BattleGath. I learned Skarner in anticipation of his battlecast skin (I already play Anivia and Kog)

2) Is Battlecast Xerath gonna have a remake? It pales so much in comparaisons to the other battlecast.

3) Void monsters? I'm a huge fan of those too.

Thanks for your time.
    </td></tr></table>
    1) The battlecast skin line is one of my favorites. It would be silly to not make more of them.

2) Ah, I didn't know that skin was a battlecast, I'll have to look into it.

3) Yea, void champions are pretty awesome. I don't think you'll find anyone who disagrees with you there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Call me J4 View Post
    When are you going to fix J4's W
    </td></tr></table>
    What's wrong with it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chaos Breeder View Post
    what is the likeliness of some or a new void champ for S3 suggestion kog' maws dad (i know hes only rumor but hes just an example)
    </td></tr></table>
    Well, we just got a new void creature in Kha'Zix, and he is pretty awesome. I can see making a new one over time. What class do you think it would be?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paradoxors View Post
    Also... I thought a champion based off of chaos would be cool
    </td></tr></table>
    Well, chaos magic is indeed cool, but it has a fundamental flaw. Chaos magic is usually associated with 'randomness'. A champion who is based on randomness is flawed, as it is impossible to balance. Now you could make an argument for making the chaos mage a multi elemental mage who could cast a number of different spells. But that archetype is cleaner when associated with elementalists. So I do believe it would be cool, I just don't believe chaos magic is a good place to explore in LoL (well, other than maybe overwhelming amounts of evil magic).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikyre View Post
    Hey Ezreal,

Who decides when its time to alter a champion design/playstyle? Morello recently made a statement about how Riven needs to have damage stick to her and also nerfed her early game strengths. Thus a change in playstyle, Riven needs to know when to exchange and use her ult now.

However, 30-33% of summoners who took place in a recent poll says that Darius needs some type of nerf/rework. Its not that hes op, but hes only counterable in draft/ranked play. Blind pick you can do almost nothing about the match up. It seems that he has a few select strong counters, but hes usually stronger against most top champions. When does the community opinion spark a rework for a champion in such a case as Darius? A tweak so that in blind pick most champions aren't destroyed by him and high end play hes not altered much.
    </td></tr></table>
    The community ultimately raises when we need to change characters. Then it's up to someone on the team to come up with a good way to improve the champion. They then need to prove to the team that the character needs the changes in order to be better. Once those are in place we try to find time for them to enact the positive changes. So if the community thinks Darius is problematic then they should beseech a designer to take on the cause of updating him.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zedrock View Post
    Hey Ez! Curiosity has been killing me, I've got 3 questions.
    1) Are we going to see any new updates or skins too Anivia?
    2) A vast majority of us have read about the S@20 update mentioning the PBE Files, within was; Teek, Xara, Darksovereign,Seth, and Hexmage... We've got our answers for Teek, Xara, and of course Syndra, but I really really wanna know, where is Seth and Hexmage, could we possibly see them in early 2013?
    3) And last but not least, Blitzcrank.... I want to know if this fact was intentional. Blitzcrank grabs people with his right arm, but the icon clearly shows his left... Is there a mystery behind this? :P
    </td></tr></table>
    1) I'm not sure.
    2) Hexmage was the codename for Viktor.
    3) That was a mistake on our part. Though I'm not sure if it was that we had the wrong hand on the icon, or if we changed the hand in the particle.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anakinfrywalker View Post
    I personally enjoyed the interaction between Rengar and Kha'Zix with their "The Hunt is on!" event. I felt it added another layer to the game and gave a goal that helped if it was achieved but didn't break the game. Are we going to see more things like this in the future?

Also, how do you stand on health as a resource? Are we going to see more champs who use it? Maybe with something new like a toggle? (Like a steroid that lasts as long as you keep it on, but drains health over time)
    </td></tr></table>
    I hope so, the hunt is on is one of the coolest easter eggs we have ever added to the game.

As for your health as a resource question, it is a valid option that we can use again in the future. We just try to spread them out as they are generally less restricted than mana gated champions, and thus more difficult to balance.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JigglyThePuff View Post
    Usopp from One piece could give some good ideas for a slingshot user. Not the most powerful character in the cast, but he holds his own with a combination of various ammo types, deadly aim and overall trickiness.

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Usopp...ies_and_Powers
    http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Usopp%27s_Arsenal/Kabuto
    http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Usopp...al/Kuro_Kabuto
    </td></tr></table>
    Awesome, I'll check him out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bissquitt View Post
    Will Master Yi's alpha strike bug EVER be fixed? From what I understand this even happened in a tournament and Phreak just got flustered and moved on.

If you were unaware, after alpha striking, occasionally the skill does not show as being on cooldown but still remains uncastable for the normal duration. If you try and cast it while it is in this state, Yi just walks up and auto attacks. This is very bad for a squishy AP Yi. Having such a long cooldown at early levels makes it very hard to accurately gauge when it will be back up.
    </td></tr></table>
    I'll pass this on to Live.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olltollo View Post
    Hey Ezreal, can we have a real dwarf in the League? I know the yordles are kind of a substitute but when you play them, you know they're not real dwarfs, they're more like human hamsters . I mean a real dwarf with a long beard in a heavy armor being a total fighting machine on the battlefield.

The dwarfs could be from the Ironspike mountains, where the great dwarven city stood for decades without contact to the other nations. They are also related to the yordle.
    </td></tr></table>
    Ultimately dwarves have too much overlap with Yordles to be their own race in LoL. That being said, I think we could take elements from dwarves and create a pretty awesome yordle that would take on these elements. After all, why be restricted to copying what has been done in the past when we can make a new unique version using our own world.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shinraiki View Post
    Hey Ezreal, is 2013 going to be more of female champions, male champions, or balanced between those two?

Because I'm more of a male champion player, and there are a lot of awesome concepts that haven't been approached yet.
    </td></tr></table>
    2013 is going to have a pretty good balance between the two, but will also have a fair number of humanoids, creatures, and yordles!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kersplakastani View Post
    Hello Ez!

First off happy New Year to you and everyone at Riot!

I was just wondering when we'll be hearing/seeing more of this guy you mentioned a little while back:
    http://twitter.com/RiotEzreal/status/203248911983448064

The "Elemental Hydra" champion?
    </td></tr></table>
    We ultimately decided to pass on this character early on. We simply couldn't find a good way of placing a personality on this champion. Take for example dragons and phoenixes. These are classically intelligent creatures who have both monstrous and human qualities. Hydras on the other hand have almost universally had just monstrous qualities (barring Tiamat, who is more of a 5 headed dragon than a hydra). This led us to believe that hydra's are more likely to be an epic boss creature than a LoL champion.
  • Replies to pages 641-650.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Altruisa View Post
    Hey Ezreal,

Recently I had an idea for a librarian-type champ. I know it sounds boring, but in reality I think it could be quite fun.

Basically, we've seen a lot of Demacian military-type characters, but surely a nation such of theirs reveres knowledge, too? I was thinking about this, and decided that this could make a good concept.

Essentially, the champion would be a wannabe-author type champion looking for inspiration in the league of legends, but suffers from chronic writers block (this could be changed if it's too cheesy.). She would be manaless, but as she attacks and uses abilities, she gains 'Inspiration', and when she gains full inspiration she can add a chapter to her book, perhaps gaining AP or other stats in the process.

I thought she could have a passive called 'The Quill is...' then her Q could be '... mightier than the sword!'. Yeah, I know. Cheesy. Other abilities could be 'Cliffhanger', 'Plot Twist' and her ult could be called 'Flash of Inspiration'.

Of course, when she dies, she dies in a explosion of papers.

I was thinking of her being called Fleta, after a mythical Irish writer.

Good idea, or no?

PS: cat girl ezreal plz
    </td></tr></table>
    I have to applaud you for such a unique idea. It has it's own flavor which feels very league of legends. I especially love your ability names (I can just imagine plot twist as an awesome ult). We actually concepted a paper mage for a while. There were a number of iterations on this character. It started off as someone who could manipulate words (using paper) to create effects. We then modified it to become sort of a 'rune mage', someone who could etch runes onto the battlefield and later detonate them.

While we loved the core concept, and felt that it was rather unique...we could never quite solve a number of issues on it. The first issue was the source of power. It ended up being such a unique SoP that most people just couldn't quite grasp it, much less guess what sort of abilities he would have. We also ran into the issue of making him look cool. And this is an area where the librarian would also get hit. Making a librarian look awesome would be quite a feat. That's not to say that it is impossible, but it simply added one more issue to the champion. These issues, along with others, made us move away from this concept.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The only Zee View Post
    Hey Ezreal,

I was wanting to ask you a few questions and hope you'll look them over!
    1) What happened to the old 3v3 map?
    2) Will riot ever bring back that old map design?
    3) Will there be a new map/game mode coming in 2013? If so, what would it be like? (capture the flag, free for all, etc.)
    and aside from questions, i had an idea! Maybe instead of getting rid of the old 3v3 map you could set it as a choice to choose from when you go to the 3v3/5v5 setup and have it selected as either old 3v3 map or new. Thanks for taking the time to read this!
    </td></tr></table>
    1) We strive to make the best experience on all of our maps. So we only release changes when we believe they are the best possible variant. So while we do hold on to the files, it is not likely that we will ever re-release old Twisted Treeline.
    2) See above.
    3) I'm afraid I have no insight into new maps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mad Prospector View Post
    Hey Ez,

I read your last posts and questions about bushes.
    What if there was a champion that used large scissors as a weapon? He could throw small scissors or something as a move and remove bushes (or made them look half cut so characters are visible and targetable) temporarily like you mentioned. Then it could have a hidden passive with Cait referencing her old build or headshot.
    </td></tr></table>
    We have discussed the idea of using scissors as a weapon. It is a very anime trope, which does have a LoL feel. I love that scissors, despite being small in nature, have a certain dangerous quality to them. Using that innately dangerous quality and sizing it up adds uniqueness to it. It actually reminds me a lot of skarner. Turns out making small dangerous things large makes them a ton scarier. The ability works as well, nice idea!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pautato View Post
    Hi Ezreal,

Will there be upcoming Tank champions? Everytime I queue we always get faced with the question: "Who's going to tank?" and such. It would be really cool if there were Tanky champs too
    </td></tr></table>
    We are striving to hit multiple of every class each year, so yes, we have a tank in production. And the next one...gah...I have to hold back from giving any spoilers. But he is really, really, really cool!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tamly View Post
    Hey Ezreal i don't ever comment on posts on the forum but today im feeling courageous anyways

1: Can we please have global taunts for first blood? this would only make the champions who make us feel like BAs seem more... BA! lol

2: Is there any chance we could see a champion use a whip as there weapon? pref an adc since getting crits with a whip would be sick!

3: Also can we have a witch doctor type champion? i mean there is a place called the Voodoo lands...
    </td></tr></table>
    1) Honestly global taunts are pretty obnoxious. While it feels pretty good to do the taunt, it feels terrible to be taunted. It also leads your teammates to feel negatively towards the taunted player. The overall positive to negative value of the feature is likely not worth it. An alternate variant that would likely feel better is a global woot upon making a pentakill. It would be rare enough, and it would make the person and team who got it feel awesome. And the other team would at least see the awesome happen, and doesn't have a single individual to get mad at.

2) I could see this happening in the future. There are a number of whip based variants that are just begging to be used in our game.

3) It's pretty tough to make a truly amazing witch doctor. Though I would love to see a few examples if you have any!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hitkitsune View Post
    Any hints of the next champion? =D
    </td></tr></table>
    She has a falcon...

huehuehue

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lykurgus View Post
    Hey Ezreal, was tossing around some ideas last night for a champion Idea.

Do you think League of Legends will ever see a true Rogue? Someone you would not want to meet in an ally way. Plays dirty, back stabbing a-hole. Which got me thinking, how would a meat shield style of ult play out? You grab your enemy and any enemy damage to you is instead done to your meat shield, then when the suppression ends you dash backwards dealing damage if the target is still alive.

Against this idea though, it would probably be really anti-fun to have your own allies do damage to you, but I thought it could be an interesting idea.
    </td></tr></table>
    The meat shield idea has too much anti fun surrounding it. The amount of harassment you can have on allied characters would make this ability unacceptable. Players could attack the target not minding if their ally is taking damage. Heck, even if they did it accidentally, it would still feel like griefing. So while it is a cool idea...which it is, it still leads to too much griefing potential.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GraveMaker17 View Post
    @Ezreal
    I'd first of all like to say thank you for doing this! It's always refreshing to see reds come out and discuss future plans with the player base

But, for my question, I'm wondering how you feel about Anivia? I've been picking her up for my team recently to great success, and from watching recent tournaments, it's quite apparent she is VERY strong. She requires a great deal of skill and positioning to use, so is it more okay to you that she's on the stronger side? Thanks in advance!
    </td></tr></table>
    I wouldn't say that Anivia is any more powerful than other champions, her abilities either have high amounts of counterplay or are difficult to use. To elaborate, take Flashfrost ability is exceedingly slow, and requires timing to utilize well. The ability for enemies to avoid this ability allows us to make it a ranged aoe stun. Another example is her wall, Crystalize, this ability requires a good understanding of placement and timing. Additionally, many enemy champions can get around it via movement abilities. This allows us to place a bit of extra power on skills like this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thunder Manatee View Post
    @Ezreal

In your last answer thread you mentioned a psionic champion. How do feel about a dampening field of some kind? Projectiles that pass through it deal less dmg and enemy champions inside of it deal less dmg and are slowed for its duration. I think this would make some very interesting counter-play and area denial (Finally! a counter for Nid spears).

I would be interested to see how the tech design team tackles this issue as well (from a code standpoint).
    </td></tr></table>
    I have always loved the idea of making a zone which slows down projectiles (especially skill shots). In fact, I wanted to work this into an old, no longer being worked on, champion named Tempus. Unfortunately this ability would feel great fighting against skill shots, but wouldn't actually do anything but delay the damage on single target abilities. This would make it too situational, and not work as well in LoL.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EnmaTheRedBane View Post
    @Ezreal
    Who are you currently in a relationship with?
    Is it Jayce?
    </td></tr></table>
    Mordekaiser...

But that is just because we named the character after her screen name.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SureShotRhino View Post
    Why not make it so that you can upgrade the item each time you upgrade your ult 6,11,16 or make it so you can add one of the other effects into the already bought upgrade like being able to buy power at level 11 after you already bought death or something along those lines, idk if this makes any sense but hopefully you get it :P
    </td></tr></table>
    That is a pretty neat way of doing Viktor's passive, I'll pass the idea along.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBeggodd View Post
    Ezreal, what do you think about a game mode in wich you choose a champion, and you get randomized abilities, except from passive, just for fun, in wich the map could be proving grounds?
    </td></tr></table>
    There were a few games floating around in the Warcraft III days which would allow you to either play randomized champions, or make your own. It felt pretty neat for a bit, but lacked any real depth. Most games just ended up being luck of the draw. Sometimes you would get a character with no damage capability, and sometimes you would get a character with 4 stunning nukes. It was simply too variable to be fun consistently.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrinox View Post
    Hi Ezreal, just heard bout the new champ, Thresher, from CertainlyT.

His passive is apparently an indefinite stacking buff that increases MR, Armor, and AP. Now, I heard that Morello said champs who can indefinitely raise stats have huge balancing issues, champs like Nasus, Veigar, and Sion.

Is this champ somehow exempt from that line of thinking? Or is Riot willing to allow champs with infinite scaling into the game?
    </td></tr></table>
    We are willing to allow champs with infinite scaling into the game within limit. If we do it sparingly then it stays special. As for Thresh, he actually had a few ways of softening the problem. First, he lacks the base scaling for MR / AR that champions would normally have, thus making him focus on farming souls. Second, the benefit he gets from souls diminishes as he starts getting large numbers of souls. This allows the initial souls to be more impactful, while also softening the infinite scaling issue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NEXrevenge View Post
    Why doesn't Zed's ult go through Zhonya's? (or explode right after)
    He already has little damage, but this makes him downright worthless.
    </td></tr></table>
    Any time you have two abilities say opposite things, one of them needs to take priority. Zed's ultimate states damage, while Zhonya's states don't take damage and can't be targeted. The don't take damage is simply prioritized over Zed's ultimate.

It is also a bit far to say that a single item that usually goes onto a single class makes a champion worthless. Try baiting out the Zhonya's with his other abilities. Or hold off on ulting until his Zhonya's is down. Also, his ult has a shorter cooldown that Zhonya's. So there should be periods that he can ult on her if he uses it on cooldown.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheEnygma View Post
    @Ezreal

had a weird idea for an ultimate which was inspired a bit by Final Fantasy VII. There's a limit break attack where you fire a beam at an enemy which then splits apart doing damage to enemies surrounding it but does reduced damage the more enemies are around. Do you see this working in LoL? Have it be range limited as well?
    </td></tr></table>
    I have seen abilities like this in other games, and while it sounds cool, it leads to a best case / worst case problem. In the worst case, a 1v1, the ability deals next to no damage. And as an ultimate it is largely wasted. In the best case, a 5v5 w/20 minions, it instant pentakills. While we could bring these edge cases closer, there will always be a best case / worst case problem. Making the ultimate a waste some of the time, and overpowered the rest of the time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Valodor View Post
    Hello Ezreal, The page about Champions on the LoL wikia has section about hinted champions and two of the hints seem to be the two newest champions so here is my questions
    1) "A female champion who is "strong, non-sexualized, and heroic", initially designed to be male by IronStylus." is this Vi?
    2) "A male support hinted by Ezreal." is this Thresh?
    Thank you.
    </td></tr></table>
    1) The strong, non-sexualized, heroic female champion made by IronStylus is actually Quinn and Valor, our upcoming champion.
    2) And yes, the male support I hinted at was Thresh.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GalaxyMarine View Post
    Dear Ezreal,

Where have you been for the past 3 weeks?
    </td></tr></table>
    I can only really answer this thread as thoroughly as I do every 2-4 weeks due to the sheer time commitment of it. Sorry guys.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rysan Marquise View Post
    Isn't this because Malady works opposite the penetration improvements? It is a resist reduction, not a flat penetration increase, meaning it applies first. Functionally it is much worse than penetration (except it applies to your entire team) and takes much longer to apply.

Not only is it not very efficient, but it also doesn't build into anything later-game, making it an unlikely pick.
    </td></tr></table>
    Ouch, I never really thought about it that way. It is interesting that resist reduction could actually be worse than resist penetration in some cases. I'll pass this on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hostile Miku View Post
    Aaaand you totally dodged my question

thanks for the 3 week wait
    was really wanting some red insight on Sonas E

guess I shall have to write it again and HOPE you answer it

Sonas E is probably one of the weakest actives in the game, its mana cost is high, it does pretty much nothing for 3 levels, Jayce shoots it out of the water from his rank 1 E what is better then Sonas rank 5 E (better utility on a bruiser then a support by a loooong shot), the only thing keeping it alive is the powerchord

Please awnser this one...I kept it short just for you
    </td></tr></table>
    Sona's E has four different aspects: It passively speeds up allies, it is a large area on demand speed boost, it charges up power chord, and it serves as a slow for power chord. Having so many different elements on one ability has diminished individual aspects of power. This is largely a flaw in Sona's design. If she didn't have the aura, then we could have likely doubled the power of the speed boost.

Now that all being said, it might currently be underpowered. As she falls out of the spotlight this seems like one of the first areas that we would boost.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seishin170 View Post
    Hey Ez, how about an earth mage that uplifts an arena (like jarvan's ult) but instead of trapping enemys and allies alike... Rises an area of terrain with aura buffs/nerfs and enemys may choose between fighting on it or falling and taking damage and slow?
    </td></tr></table>
    While that is a cool image, the gameplay is mostly identical to Thresh's ultimate. His ult is a ring that says, don't move out of it or else you'll be damaged and get slowed. The only differences are that parts of Thresh's wall breaks, and the visual differences (which are actually problematic, since any time you make something vertical you obscure everything behind it.
  • PS. WOOOOOO over 2,000,000 views!!!
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ezreal View Post
    PS. WOOOOOO over 2,000,000 views!!!
    </td></tr></table>
    I think you play the forums like the high score on a Pac Man machine.