Just Started Playing Ranked

• Last night I decided to dive in and start playing solo ranked games.

For a long time I was hesitant to play ranked because I've read plenty of threads about rage in ranked and figured I should avoid ranked play.

What changed my mind was the realization that I have the ability to set a good example in game by promoting positive and constructive communication. This realization was tested in my second game when a high-skill player on a smurf account was paired with me bottom lane (I was Sona, he was Ashe). Initially he was getting frustrated by the mistakes that our team was making and was starting to rage a bit. I reminded him that the rest of the team was not playing on Smurf accounts and that we actually needed guidance to improve our play. He accepted this challenge and took on the roll of a positive team leader. We were able to win the game, which before the change, I don't feel we would have.

I am going to continue to play in Ranked games and rely on communication with my team to try and make up for my deficiency in competitive game knowledge and skill.

[Update 01/03/13]
    This thread has really grown beyond anything I could have possibly expected when I started it nearly 5 months ago. Now that I have a few dozen ranked games under my belt and I have had a lot of time to sit and think about what makes it such an interesting challenge, why people fear it, and what I can do to improve, I can say that I am hooked on ranked play. I understand that ranked play is ABSOLUTELY NOT FOR EVERYONE, and I even had to take a big break from it myself when I had my second kid and did not have enough time to dedicate proper focus required to be a good team player, but in this thread I hope to show that ranked play is not only for high skill players, and can be enjoyed by us mere mortals as well.

More about me?
    This thread is about ranked play, but if you have questions for me not related to that ---> http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2110977
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by sathim View Post
    how many normals games played?
    </td></tr></table>
    157 wins in normal games.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Betse View Post
    when u try to tell people what they should do and they just answer with stfu, or go f..ck urself...u cant do anything
    </td></tr></table>
    It's not about just telling people what to do. When you do that in-game via chat your message tend to be short and come off like commands, which people tend to perceive as negative. You need to work harder to find a leader on the team and encourage them to carry their team, not from a game-play point of view, but rather as a leader.

If you are that leader, which I am not due to my low skill level, you need to find a way to communicate strategy to your team in a way that feels supportive.

I am not naive to believe that this will be possible in every game, but even if I can achieve it 50% of the time, I would be winning a higher percentage of games than I do currently.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by NiĆ£ View Post
    coming from sona? :P
    </td></tr></table>
    she can't talk, but she can still type.

• Quote:
    Originally Posted by yobweja View Post
    the difference between you and most likely the other 9 people on your team is that you've got how many runepages stocked with tier 3 runes on top of how many champions to counter-pick with?

my only problem with ranked is that my team mates counter-pick themselves at champ select due to not being able to play specific roles due to runes

and

not being able to counter-pick efficiently when they call "top" and only have akali...
    </td></tr></table>
    I may have a large number of champions unlocked on my account, but I only know how to play with probably 5 or 6 of them with any level of skill. There is a lot of information to communicate in a short amount of time during champion selection, making it probably one of the biggest challenges. I am new to draft pick in general, and certainly don't have a knowledge of how to build a team comp or counter-pick, so I will need to rely on my 4 teammates to help me through that process.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ajaxis View Post
    just a question, how did you become a Riot employee? You don't seem to have much experience with LoL

not trying to be rude
    </td></tr></table>
    I have a lot of experience in other areas and a huge passion for League. In-game skill is not the end-all-be-all for becoming a Rioter.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Artemus Delphus View Post
    How do you guys feel when games are lost? I mean, we can all say 'we play for fun' for the most part, but there's always times where you want to smash your monitor in and say 'man this sucks'. I try not to rage, but sometimes (especially if the reason we're losing is my fault), I get pretty upset.

TL;DR: Do Rioters rage?
    </td></tr></table>
    I don't like losing. I understand (took a long time to learn this personally) that letting my emotions get the best of me will not make me win. In fact it makes me play much worse.

Keeping a calm head and learning something from each game is how I win. Even with that, League is a competitive game and even the very good players should expect to lose 50% of the time.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Artemus Delphus View Post
    So I'm in what many call 'ELO-Hell', weather it exists or not, I'm stuck at ~800-900 ELO. Now I'm not going to sit here and say, 'omg teem feed noobz this game report roitplz'. I know that I'm not the epitome of skills (especially since despite ~500 wins, I still can't farm unless I'm Mord.), but I've always wondered what it's like to play with a Rioter.

This also isn't me saying 'hay riot pls play me out of elo hell team feed all day'. But it brings me to a question that will be introduced as a story.

A buddy of mine in a much better ELO standing was in a game with RiotTiza when they were Graves and he was a support. He started talking about how Tiza's positioning wasn't perfect, and how engagements seemed to be shaky at best. So it made me think:

How do you guys feel when games are lost? I mean, we can all say 'we play for fun' for the most part, but there's always times where you want to smash your monitor in and say 'man this sucks'. I try not to rage, but sometimes (especially if the reason we're losing is my fault), I get pretty upset.

TL;DR: Do Rioters rage?
    </td></tr></table>
    Since the question was asked more or less to me, I'll jump in.

Being passionate is normal in a setting where you care about the results. Many of us (I'd wager "most" but that's a total guess) are really passionate about LoL - we want to play and get better and win games. I can speak very safely for myself when I say I'm proud of my Elo, all 1600-ish of it, because it's a long way from where I started - I couldn't get above 1100 in Season 1. It's the product of a lot of games and a lot of practice and dedicated self-improvement. There are plenty of games that don't go my way (I think 1600 is a little bit above where I belong), and I tend to get frustrated when I'm playing badly or having trouble working together with my teammates/support (especially as an AD carry main).

I've broken controllers and cracked desks in the past (and every once in a while my desk still gets a good solid pound), but the important part about raging is how it manifests. I'll be frustrated out loud and yell at my monitor at such-and-such-is-a-stupid-champion and so-and-so-you're-so-lucky, but I get back on my god**** horse and play harder. I tell my teammates to keep focused and not give up, I keep all my communication forward-looking (talk about now-what, not that-happened) and relevant, and I start thinking about what I should have done differently and what I'm going to do next time. Ideally, nobody on my team has any idea that I'm upset. Of course, I'm not perfect, but I try almost as hard to keep my mouth shut as I do to win game.

tl;dr Yes and no.

Also for the people making comments about "oh you're a Rioter" - it's very true that people are more mindful of the rules around me. That said, I've found that since I've "gone Red" the number of ragers have gone down, but the ones who still rage are the cream of the crop for sure.

Bazner: Welcome to the ranked party! I promise it's not as bad as people make it out to be, as long as you stay positive and think long-term goals over short-term success, and keep focusing on improving. Let me know if you ever want some practice or pointers. <3
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buk Wild View Post
    Awesome post.

Just curious, what's a Bazner and why did you choose it for your name? :P
    </td></tr></table>
    it's my middle name.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by TurtleCommando View Post
    Huh. For the longest time, I've avoided ranked simply because I don't want to have to deal with all the horror stories that I've heard surrounding it. But you make a good point: why can't I just try to positively influence the people that would otherwise be ruining said games? Thanks a bunch for making this post, I think it is time for me to overcome the hesitation and buckle down to get me some ELO. Maybe I'll even see you around!
    </td></tr></table>
    Good luck, make sure to come back and tell us how it goes.