Hi there. I'm Kades.

• Hi there,

I'm Kades.

I pronounce it with one syllable: "Kayds".

I thought I'd stop by the forums, introduce myself, and see if there was anything I might be able to help shed some light on. Which is both fun and a bit intimidating for me since it's easy to remember lurking these forums for years as a player- and now I'm in the (sorta surreal) position to be posting as a red.

A bit about me, I've been at Riot as a Gameplay Analyst for the past few months, but I've been an avid player since Beta.

I like hockey.

I love board games.

I'm an amateur magician with a strong emphasis on the 'amateur'.

I sometimes brew my own beer.

I'm pretty terrible at guitar, but I keep an acoustic hung up on my wall because it makes me feel cooler than I really am.

I get a little nervous when I work with Jesse Perring- even though in all my interactions, he's never been anything but relaxed, amiable, and very low-key.

I'm a terrible cook.

I have an irrational fear of elevators- but my rationale fear of climbing stairs helps me to keep that in check.

I met my wife because- on a whim- I took a Swing Dance class. Not because I had any illusions that I might be a good dancer (I'm not), but because as a weird quirk, I enjoy doing things I'm not very good at.

In that same vein, I'm not particularly good at League of Legends, but I enjoy that, too. Or maybe more accurately, it's easy for me to look around at my betters and think "wow, I'm terrible at this game". And then smile about it. There's always someone better.

I love reading fantasy.

I work with an intimidating amount of very, very smart people. It's like that old poker saying, "If you look around the table and can't spot the sucker- you're probably it." I'll often think of that when I'm sitting in some of my meetings. Sometimes over and over again in the same meeting.

Oh! And RiotShantzilla is my mortal enemy. I don't want to get into specifics, but it involves the deepest of betrayals, a missing tuna fish sandwich, and Shantzilla's blatant disregard for his coworker's lunch. So if you bump into him on the street or something, give him the 'stink-eye'. He'll know what it's about.

Edit: Hi there. Kades-from-the-Future, here. Lots of people are asking the same questions in response to this post, and while I've replied to these- the thread is growing a bit unwieldy to search through my responses and I'm not sure the "Next Red" function was fully working at the start of this thread. So I'll answer a few of the common ones here:

I like hockey. My favorite team is the Dallas Stars. It's been a painful decade to be a Stars fan, but I'm no fair-weather fan. With them through the good times and bad...!

I love board games. Especially 'nerdy' games. A few that I like are "Puerto Rico", "Dominion", "Catan", "Carcassone", "Shadows Over Camelot", "Ticket to Ride", "Cards Against Humanity", "7 Wonders", "Diplomacy", and the "A Game of Thrones: Board Game". That's a partial list- I love games.

I love reading fantasy. Some of my favorite series/authors include George R.R. Martin, Weiss and Hickman, Tolkien, Brust, Rothfuss, Abercrombie, Erickson, and I think that Scott Lynch has had one of the best debut novels I've read in a long time.

Again, these are all just my opinions- and I'm only adding this to the initial post because the same few questions keep getting asked over and over again- which is cool- but easily avoidable if I streamline it by doing this. Cheers!
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Sincest View Post
    Nice to meetcha
    </td></tr></table>
    Nice to meet you, too.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by MrManslaughter View Post
    What do you do as a gameplay analyst? I mean specifically... not "analyze games". Oh, and greetings!
    </td></tr></table>
    The GPA's work closely with the Live Design and Champion Design teams. One of our functions is to provide gameplay feedback to the designers so they can make more (and faster) iterations on their champions. We'll also work with various builds of a champion as it is coming down the pipeline, and (hopefully) assist the designer in making something that is fun and unique for our players.

From what I've been told, this type of role is fairly unique to Riot.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shakenspear View Post
    How do you like Riot so far?
    </td></tr></table>
    I love it. Like I said, I work with some really, really smart people- but there's definitely a very 'humble' feel about the place that kind of surprised me.

Having worked at other corporations in the past, it wasn't uncommon for me to see a lot of "style over substance" (especially in LA). At Riot, I haven't seen anything like that. No middle managers clinging to a 'chain of command', or executives who make a point to avoid the 'riff-raff', if that makes any sense?

In general, I'd say that there is a culture of treating everyone on the merits of their ideas rather than the title on their business card. It's as unique as it is refreshing- and creates an atmosphere where even the guy who started yesterday 'in the mailroom' is able to come in and start making a big impact, provided that he has big ideas.

But, yeah, even when the work gets exhausting- there's definitely a culture of everyone loving what they do. I love it here.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by YDemon View Post
    and why not RiotKades?
    </td></tr></table>
    I don't know. Personal preference. They'd let me do 'RiotKades' if I wanted to, I'm sure, but I like Kades.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iroh the Dragon View Post
    Hey, nice to meetcha =D!

...but if you're not "particularly good" yet you were plat..

...what am I =3?

Terribad?

Also, FAVORITE FANTASY SERIES, GO!
    </td></tr></table>
    I guess it's always a sliding scale, right...? Even pro players lose matches. And the really good players who have gone on to work here at Riot are some of the most humble people I've ever met. Roku and Milkcow are great examples- as players they're these behemoths who make play-after-jaw-dropping-play just... all day long- but then when you meet them in person, they're the most cordial, articulate people you could come across. I'm not sure if pro level talent looks like that everywhere- but if the guy who schools me over and over again at my day job can have humility- then I better have it.

And I remember reading A Game of Thrones before the second book had come out- so I've been a huge fan of that series for a very long time.

I also dig Rothfuss, Lynch, and Brust. But all for different reasons.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by 21213232 View Post
    so your posts dont show up as red.. sup with that? u seem cool enough..
    </td></tr></table>
    Not sure. I think they made the account 'red' this evening- maybe you just need to login and log out...?
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by KaƮd View Post
    Huh. So you're like me, except pluralized. ... and Platinum.
    </td></tr></table>

Ha! Nice!
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Embs View Post
    Hello and congrats on the job at Riot. I just have two things to ask...

1: Why are you up so late

2: Do you read webcomics?
    </td></tr></table>

1. I'm about to remedy that. But I didn't want my first thread to go unanswered after my initial post.

2. Of course! Mostly Penny Arcade- but others definitely tickle my fancy from time to time...
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by FireOf9Dragons View Post
    Favorite hockey team?
    </td></tr></table>
    Dallas Stars. It's been a heart-breaking decade to be a Stars Fan- but that's ok. There's something masochistically comforting in that, too. Like I'm somehow a 'true fan' because I have stuck with them or something...