I'm RiotGypsy. AMAA

• Hi,
    I'm gypsylord, one of Riot's newest designers. I make champions.

So this is an "Ask Me ALMOST Anything" thread. I'm all about getting to know the community and I figured this would be a good way to do it. So yeah, let's chat.

If I skip your question it's either because A) I'm not the right person to answer it or B) I've already answered it in a previous post

-------------------------------------

Some things about me:

-I'm a champ designer. I work on champions. I don't work on things like servers, skins, or IP prices. As such I probably won't be able to give any real answers on such topics, it would just result in the propagation of false information.

-I designed Vi. Working on champ #2 right now.

-I love LoL and played Ranked + normals non-stop in college. Wrote my final term paper on the F2P pricing scheme and filmed a 10 minute documentary on the new player experience during Senior Winter.

-Was 1920 Elo Pre-Season 3. Wish I had more time to focus on improving my game. Too busy working on my next champ. She's gonna be awesome

-I main supports (Raka, Janna, Lulu, Sona, Taric, Zyra). Also play a TON of Tristana (bot) and Teemo (top). Noct, Shaco, and WW are my go-to junglers. If you force me to play mid (I suck at it) I'll try to grab Kass (provided the matchup wouldn't screw me).

-Used to be "almost" pro at TF2. Have 1400 hours in the game and mained scout/med for a team back when CAL was a thing.

-LOVE Fire Emblem. Awakening had great gameplay but a terrible story...

-I'm originally from Alaska. I like climbing rocks, running up mountains, and fighting bears.

-I went to college at Dartmouth and graduated with a BA in Economics last June. Also studied Theater, Film, Chemistry, and Biology (was a pre-med freshman year).

-Started @ Riot right after graduation. Am currently one of the youngest people in the company.
  • Answer to questions on page 1:
    Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Beastmode808 View Post
    FIRE EMBLEM! Who was your favorite character?
    </td></tr></table>
    Favorite Fire Emblem character! In terms of gameplay it's Matt. Super fun running around with him, dodging everything, and doing crazy damage. In terms of personality it's got to be the Sain/Kent combo. Those two are hilarious.

Oh btw, never played any of the games not released in the US (wish I was better at Japanese )

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
    How is that Support Zyra?

How effective are you at fighting ARMORED bears?
    </td></tr></table>
    I personally think support Zyra is crazy strong. She has a pretty reliable piece of CC (dat root), great bush control (seeds + plant threat), and a TON of damage. When enemies engage you and your carry they have three choices: fight and lose, attack the plants and lose DPS, or run and get poked. Get's even worse when you hit 6. Major downside is how squishy and slow you are. Burst hurts. It's also pretty easy to ks the carry. Still, if you get your spells off before you die its pretty easy to turn around and get you or your carry a double kill with the passive.

Armored bears are terrifying. Why would anyone ever fight one?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Storp View Post
    do you expect to be popular among the community with an avatar like that?
    </td></tr></table>
    How could I not be bro?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChaoticFinal View Post
    What is your stand on the false reputation that singed is a homicidal maniac, when all he wants is to be loved?
    </td></tr></table>
    Singed's problem is that his poison causes him to hallucinate. He wants to be loved and he shows it by trying to fling you away from the hordes of armored bears that his addled mind tells him are constantly assaulting you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 7th Jwplayer0 View Post
    How did you feel when i stomped you with irelia in that aram match
    </td></tr></table>
    Felt like we were playing top lane and you bought an oracle to kill all my mushrooms.
  • So I have a pretty neat idea that you can put onto your champion...
  • Of all the people who sit directly to the right of you... who is your favorite?!?!
  • Answers to questions on Page 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GrimSylph View Post
    Whats your favorite fire emblem game?
    </td></tr></table>
    "Fire Emblem" the series NA debut released for the GBA.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdmiralAardvark View Post
    Moon or Sun?
    </td></tr></table>
    Stick to the code.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JaminBen View Post
    Is there an email for job applications? I made a wicked cover letter for you guys.
    </td></tr></table>
    Go check out
    http://www.riotgames.com/careers
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anyael View Post
    Can we look forward to more Teemo skins in the near future? He's in dire need of them.
    </td></tr></table>
    You and I both know that Teemo can never have enough skins. I think Teemo should start Cosplaying as other LoL characters. Imagine if he got to wear around a Draven mustache
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HelloMotto View Post
    Since you like playing support. Do you think you will try to design a support champion?
    </td></tr></table>
    I'm a weirdo in that I often have more fun helping my carry get kills than I do carrying and getting kills myself. Just feels so good to know "I made it so he could do that!" Would love to make a support at some point and further that type of gameplay experience.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thral9 View Post
    whats ur fav food?!?!?!
    </td></tr></table>
    Lasagna. I was a big Garfield fan when I was little.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JulianaPaes View Post
    Have you ever grinded an account from 1 to 30, buying runes and champions?

What are your thoughts about the IP gain?
    </td></tr></table>
    Yes to the first question. I played the game for a long time before getting hired and went through the process of leveling an account. (Played in ranked as a level 20 back when you could do that). Can't really comment on the IP gain thing from an I REPRESENT RIOT standpoint. As a player I dumped 50 dollars into my account after the first month so that I could buy the original 40 champs. After that I never really felt lacking in terms of needing a specific dude for a specific game. Lol, I kinda liked having to unlock new champs. It gave me something to work towards and felt really awesome when I finally had enough to play that new support I'd been drooling over.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Friggid View Post
    What are your favorite champion types (as in AP, AD, Assassin, Bruisers etc... just as much detail as you can put in). What makes those champions so much fun for you?
    </td></tr></table>
    Generally I like supports. Helping people is something I find endlessly fun. I could care less if I'm getting kills. I'm the kind of guy who buys an Aura item and is like, "OMFG I GIVE MY CARRY 15% LIFESTEAL! THAT'S SO HOT!" I'm the guy who wards the lane bush against Taric and is like, "YES NOW MY CARRY CAN FARM I'M SUCH A BADASS!" Feels good man.

I also like feeling "smarter" than my opponents. This is why I play Characters like Teemo, Kass, and Shaco. All these characters have something tricky about them that really allows you to outplay people and feel like you won not just due to items or mechanical skill, but also because you're more clever than they are.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fapotu View Post
    Is the champ your working on a gypsy champ?
    </td></tr></table>
    nope
  • Answer to questions on page 3

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HeRoed View Post
    What type of champion are you working on?
    </td></tr></table>
    All I can really say is that she's a looooooong way off. Been working weekends to make her as awesome as humanely possible.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Da Bearzz View Post
    how many bears have you fought you know give me a guesstimate
    </td></tr></table>
    I stared down a bear once when I worked as a photographer for a rafting company back in AK. It was terrifying but I got it to go away. #1 glare.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maokai King View Post
    i miss your arams gypsy
    </td></tr></table>
    SOOO BUSY. I'll try to run a set sometime later this week.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Raikiro View Post
    Can you make me a pet based champion? Please.
    </td></tr></table>
    I like pets but they're kinda hard to have in our game. I'm assuming you're talking about a champ that has a second unit they can control for long periods of time. The UI doesn't really support that and there's a lot of balance problems that would have to be worked around. Example: say Annie could permanently have a non-flaming version of Tibbers on the field. What's to stop her from just chilling by tower while her bear buddy zones the enemy from creeps? Not saying we could NEVER do a pet champ, but it would be hard to implement one that A) feels fun to use and control and B) feels fun to fight against.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ViperVentedos View Post
    Since your fairly new i doubt you have had any hands on with any specific champion, but if you had and are going to *Spoilers* which champion have you worked on/created?
    </td></tr></table>
    I helped playtest and gave feedback on Zyra + Diana + Wrengar but have not yet created my own champ. She's being worked on as we speak and will be released at some point between now and 2212.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gløry View Post
    What are Riot's plans concerning Sejuani? If you do not know, what is your personal opinion of Sejuani?
    </td></tr></table>
    I wish I had an answer for you, but I'm not on the live team. Don't really know what they're doing with her. I can say that we know she's in a bad spot and are actively looking to improve her. Personal opinion? Her kit feels awkers to use (why does that aoe thing not apply frost?) and I'm not really into the frost bikini. Sexy champs are good but the sexy has to make sense.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Volund Kovrek View Post
    Another Alaskan! Anyhow, how's working at Riot been so far?
    </td></tr></table>
    I love Riot. I'm probably the happiest I've been in the last 4 years. LoL is fun, my work is engaging, and I'm surrounded by brilliant people who share my interests. Plus, I get to interact with you guys and make cool stuff for the game we all like. I'm really into helping people and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing that one day I will have a champ in the game that creates fun for millions of people (hopefully).
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OXYCLEAN WORKS View Post
    The Champion model for Sejuani has a total of 6 feet.

She only gets buffs from 1 set of boots.

How do you plan to correct this?
    </td></tr></table>
    Easy solution bro. Make the 1 set give her 6 times the benefit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seresibyl View Post
    Are you designing your champion with a preset combo in mind or are you working on skills that have synergy that isn't immediately apparent but gameplay mechanics allow them to create interesting situations?

Zyra has a preset combination of skills, but allows you to choose which you use, for example.

I assume you want to focus on designing support champions?
    </td></tr></table>
    For me, designing a champ is all about allowing players to have fun realizing a specific fantasy.
    Example: I think Meddler and the art team did a great job on Ziggs. Ziggs is about bombs. When players try Ziggs they expect to BLOW S*** UP and that's exactly what ziggs let's you do. Q? Blow S** Up. W? Blow yourself up. E? Zone and blow S** up. R? BLOW EVERYTHING SKY HIGH. When you read Ziggs' ult it's kind of boring. "Throw a bomb across the map that does damage in an AoE." It doesn't matter though because THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT IT TO DO. It doesn't need to slow, it doesn't need to freeze people, it doesn't need to haste your allies. All it needs to do is BLOW S*** UP. It does that and as a result is crazy fun to use.

I'm using the same ideas when making my champ. I looked at her concept art and story and asked myself, "When people see this girl what are they going to expect her to be able to do? What are the most fun ways to allow them to play out that fanatasy?"

Oh and in terms of mechanics it's generally a good idea to have some kind of "gameplay loop." What is this character going to do with a given skill rotation?

Example: One of Nocturne's loops is: Ult in on a squishy, fear and q the target, shield a spell, make them DEAL WITH YOU. This loop is super fun when executed correctly.
  • Answer to questions on page 4:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdmiralWin View Post
    How did an econ major transfer into champion design? I'm also a econ major, studying for a BS in financial economics.
    </td></tr></table>
    Well I interned at Bridgewater (HUGE hedgefund) Junior summer and realized I wasn't really into finance. Begged Riot to hire me and they went with it . The major isn't what matters. It's about being smart, self aware, insightful, driven, hard working, and passionate about games.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by POP0BAWA View Post
    I'm from Alaska too! What city are you from?
    </td></tr></table>
    Mostly Juneau but also Haines, Sitka, Petersburg, Cordova, Skagway, and Coffman Cove. My family moved a lot :P

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samwell Tarly View Post
    Not a question, but if your champ has this setup

Passive: Bonus AD/AP/Armor/etc.
    Q: On-hit effect/main nuke
    W: Passive bonus + activation bonus
    E: Utility

I will not be happy ^^
    </td></tr></table>
    How's Lord Snow doing?
    Not saying whether or not my champ will have this, but what's so wrong with the pattern you mentioned? Providing all the effects are interesting and fun to use of course.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gofure View Post
    Saxton Hale! What are you doing in Alaska?
    </td></tr></table>
    I grew up there. Schooling I suppose.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Potato404 View Post
    if you could pitch 1 skin to the skin team what would it be
    </td></tr></table>
    I think it would be cool as hell if you could buy a Draven mustache to put on ANY champ.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iN Ctrl View Post
    Give me advice on how to apply for Riot right out of college

x.x
    </td></tr></table>
    Love games, be smart, show that you can get things done. Dunno really, depends on what job you're looking for. In terms of design, it's all about being able to THINK and IMPLEMENT. A large library of life experience is very valuable.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foucz View Post
    Can you make promote more fun ? its power without gameplay
    </td></tr></table>
    I don't work on live, but I do agree that promote is a little boring ATM.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by l Miku Hatsune l View Post
    Will you play with me?
    </td></tr></table>
    That depends on whether or not you're ACTUALLY a vocaloid (yes, when I have time)
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Noxian Mercenary View Post
    What was your first impression of Riot when you went in?

You say you just started working on your champion - how many others are with you on this? Or is champion design done by one person then brought to many?

And lastly, if I may be bold to ask, what flavor champion will you bring us? By flavor I mean theme - Fire, Ice, Wind, Earth - you name it.
    </td></tr></table>
    First impression was: I'M THE LUCKIEST PERSON IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. Seriously, this is a dream job for me. Working on wallstreet would have sucked.

I'm the "owner" of my champ. Other designers will test her and give feedback and Zileas can probably say specific abilities are a no-go but in the end I'm the one deciding what her abilities should do and then going out to implement them.

All I can say is that I'm hoping people will find my champ to be really cool (and not that isn't a frost pun).
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Teckn0 View Post
    Can we ever see a champion similar to a Saiyan from the DBZ series?

I know you can't just make one straight up, but make it close. Would be pretty cool.

His//Her ult would make him glow gold. And maybe be one of those champions where it empowers all his//her other abilities.
    </td></tr></table>
    So they'd have like a super meter or something and then hulk out and wreck people when they're charged up?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeeDeeRAWR View Post
    Would you like to play with my friend for his 1000th win? I'm trying to surprise him.
    </td></tr></table>
    I would if you can catch me when I have time. Answering questions ATM
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Roonage View Post
    do you think it would be possible for an ad based support? i have this idea for a grizzly old guy who's past his prime and sort of mentors the younger champ he supports.

i tried to think of how to balance him and the only thing i could think of was to bottom out his base attack speed
    </td></tr></table>
    Ashe can kinda do that. Hmmm if he's AD based he's going to want to autoattack but he also wants to support which means he gets less items. The key would be to make it fun to autoattack and feel "supporty" without relying on items to feel useful. Also a risk that if you make his autos awesome people may just prefer to build him AD.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Disastrophé View Post
    Can you go as far as to tell us what role your champ will be? Or is that too much information
    </td></tr></table>
    She's going to be a support jungler off-tank initiator top lane mage AD AP hybrid DPS baron killer.
  • How do you feel about the proliferation in 'New riot employees ama' threads, and what would you do if a certain blonde and red bearded super handsome genius live designer crashed yours?
  • Answers for stuff on page 6:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fortus View Post
    hey if it is not much of a bother, can i read that paper u did on F2P scheme?
    </td></tr></table>
    I'd have to find it...it's not too great though. I didn't have much data so it was a more of a thought experiment based on industry history and google search trends.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrimsonClaymore View Post
    Iron Solari or Silver Lunari?

Which champion has your favourite lore?

Noxus or Demacia?
    </td></tr></table>
    Stick to the code.
    Tristana is my favorite personality.
    Bandle City.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phenòm View Post
    What do you think won over your soon to be employers in your resume/interview? You say you graduated with a BA in Economics, which I'm sure on its own wouldn't land you an associate champion designer position at one of the worlds greatest companies.

I'm just curious what YOU think landed you the job?
    </td></tr></table>
    Errrr, I'm really good at interviewing...Bridgewater (finance) and the Dartmouth pedigree probably helped get me past the screening process. Once I got into interviews I'm guessing I just impressed them with my knowledge of games, intelligence, and drive to succeed. Hmmmm, let's just say I've done A LOT of stuff in the past 22 years. Film, Theater, Econ, Bio, Chem, Photography, Calculus, CS, my interests are all over the place. Parents would never let me relax .

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skarthe View Post
    Oh hey, I remember playing an ARAM with you a couple weeks ago!

To be more on-topic, which Fire Emblem games have you played?
    </td></tr></table>
    All the ones released in the U.S.