The Season Two World Championship is approaching, and with it, the end of the competitive season on October 23, 2012. And the end of Season Two brings Season Two rewards. Youll earn some exciting rewards this season, including new summoner icons, loading screen borders, profile banners, forum badges, and a stunning skin. Well tell you about those in a minute.
First, weve got some news about changes to the ladder and rating system thatll make your race for the finish a lot more rewarding. With the Mid September Patch well be rolling out improvements to Ranked play. In Season Three, well look to make other changes and improvements.
Heres the scoop.
- Season 2 rewards will be based on the highest rating you achieve between now and the end of the season. Once youve achieved a tier, youll have it for good, and playing more games can only help you out. In order to do this, we are resetting Top Rating for all players to their Current Rating and will be using Top Rating to determine end-of-season reward tiers.
- Were adding a whole new tier! Diamond will be at the top and the other tiers have expanded so that everyone who becomes ranked will qualify for a tier and the corresponding rewards. Players who joined a team on or after September 1 will also need to win five games with that team to qualify for rewards.
- Weve upgraded the medal art on your summoner profile. At each new tier, youll unlock an awesome new medal.
- Tiers will now be subdivided into rating ranks. These ranks inform you of how close you are to moving up to the next tier. Moving up a rank also enhances your summoner profile medal.
- Bronze summoner icon for each queue (3v3 team, 5v5 solo, or 5v5 team) in which you are Bronze tier
- Silver border on the game loading screen
- Silver summoner icon for each queue in which you are Silver tier
- War Hero Janna skin
- Gold banner trim in summoner profile
- Gold border on the game loading screen
- Gold summoner icon for each queue in which you are Gold tier
- Platinum forum badge
- War Hero Janna skin
- Platinum banner trim in summoner profile
- Platinum border on the game loading screen
- Platinum summoner icon for each queue in which you are Platinum tier
- Diamond forum badge
- War Hero Janna skin
- Diamond banner trim in summoner profile
- Diamond border on the game loading screen
- Diamond summoner icon for each queue in which you are Diamond tier
To recap, all summoners who participate in ranked play will end the season with a summoner icon to show for their work. Players who achieved higher rankings will also unlock more prestigious awards. On top of that, enterprising individuals who compete in multiple queues will accrue a collection of summoner icons one for each queue. Finally, summoners who earn ratings in all three queues will unlock an exclusive fourth summoner icon based on their lowest rating between the three.
Youll reap your rewards shortly after the end of the season, but be on the lookout for sneak peeks of the skin, badges and other goods in the coming weeks. GLHF!
Click here to check out the Season 2 Rating Tiers!
Quote:They aren't changing the badges before the season ends are they? It says season 2 at the top of the page..
And due to the addition of Diamond tier, all of the previous tiers are now easier to achieve. So anyone who had achieved a tier already will still be at least that tier after the update.
Quote:Wish I could get some of this stuff. ah well, can't win 'em all
It might not be immediately clear but 850 isn't the new requirement for Bronze. All ratings qualify for Bronze. 850 is just the cutoff for Bronze VI, which gives you an upgrade to the look of your profile medal.
Quote:So i've been sitting on 1520 for a couple of months now because I don't wanna run into trolls and not get my skin for having gold. If I try to climb elo and it goes horribly horribly wrong would I still get all the gold stuff even if everything goes horribly horribly wrong. Judging by the people ive been getting into ranked games with it'll go horribly horrible wrong.
Quote:Yegg, will this ranking system be maintained on Season 3? Most of the people will have less fear of playing ranked with Top Rating being the main argument.
Also, this system may be "dangerous" since there are some people who buy ELO, which is forbidden by the code. Are there some measures to counteract this?
As for buying Elo, we're going to be actively monitoring this and we're willing to remove rewards or issue other penalties if we have evidence of this or any other methods of scamming the rewards.
Quote:Yegg, do you know why past highest score doesn't count?
Starting from today would hurt a lot of people who are on the border for various tiers, or who have let their ELO decay down to minimal, not expecting the new tier system
As for using Top Rating retroactively, the numbers that we had were actually inaccurate because they were never reset between Season 1 and Season 2. So the number in your profile was actually your best lifetime Top Rating, and not your Top Rating from Season 2. We felt that the best compromise was to reset the Top Ratings and then use Top Rating for rewards at the end of the season.