All this **** over Elise is like Draven's sneak peak.

• * Draven Sneak Peak*

"omg riot another macho manly dude"
    "WOW ANOTHER NOXUS PERSON?"
    "So boring, something new pls"

*After Draven Release*

It's now the League of Draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaven.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Shiralune View Post
    * Draven Sneak Peak*

"omg riot another macho manly dude"
    "WOW ANOTHER NOXUS PERSON?"
    "So boring, something new"

*After Draven Release*

It's now the League of Draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaven.
    </td></tr></table>
    \

I do think our sneak peeks do more harm than good sometimes, because this always happens (and then after release, people tend to get the differences more). It's an interesting phenomenon.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Bobomberman View Post
    I like how you made a valid point and still got downvoted. People are just mad she isnt the silly parasol wielding ugly spider woman in her original art.
    </td></tr></table>
    I don't think I could have set expectations any clearer that we weren't ever going to do that
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by YoshioPeePee View Post
    i was aware of this morello but i was still hoping for a skin that was priscilla themed

since those are much more optional
    </td></tr></table>
    There was actually something specific on the art side that decided to go against that - I'd have to send someone in art to discuss that though
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morphtronics View Post
    Thats why Kha'zix is still seen as Rengar 2.0? Oh wait, when we first said that you said there was a huge difference between the two. Same thing beside the name. Both jump, both slows, both have a single target burst (Q), both are AD, both get bonus from brushes, etc.
    </td></tr></table>
    And people aren't mad about similarities if you look at the posts since release, they're mad that Rengar is OP.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Serkaidemor View Post
    Against the victorian theme, or the spider half?

The victorian thing was terrible looking, but WHY OH WHY did you decide to make her just another "hot chick"? We already have Eve who was supposed to be priscilla's replacement.

We wanted a champion with spider legs. We're disappointed.
    </td></tr></table>
    The Victorian skin thing. We didn't do a Dryder for a number of other aesthetic appeal reasons that, again, I'll let art bros talk more about
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shizuhara View Post
    When we only have a picture to go on, that's bound to happen.

Draven's turn-around came because he's an incredibly interesting character with a completely new personality and some unique skills to boot. Seeing that, his physical representation took on a different light, such as his mustache becoming a signature rather than 'just another machostache.'

If Elise is an interesting character, this may end well. I doubt her physical representation will ever amount to more than 'zyra 2.0,' though, since there isn't a whole lot of unique for her to capitalize on.

If she's a standard femme fatale villain that uses charms/seduction and wears as little armor as possible, all bets are off.

The new preview style is exciting, though. The quotes and tie-ins are drool-worthy...I'm just hoping that the characterization matches up.
    </td></tr></table>
    Right, which is why I wonder if that helps - all we really have to peak is a 2D image, which while cool, can't portray depth (Draven being a good example).

I guess it depends, it's easy to sell non-humans at a glance, but human/humanoid characters are more nuanced (Diana being another good example).
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    @Morello

Long time Morello fan here, first time questioner,

I'm really really glad (and I reiterate, really) that when you aren't sure about something (ie, art, champion design, reworks, maps, etc) you don't just jump on with here-say and rumors; instead you give the most honest answer you can. "It's not my field, I'm not sure." or "Let me see if I can get someone from art on here to answer that." It is quite noble.

Now, on to my question. What are YOU specifically working on that you can say?
    </td></tr></table>
    The kit and theme overall are things I've worked on - I can talk about why Dryder had much less space overall, gameplay-wise.

Spiders have expectations - webs, spiderlings, poison, biting, etc. A dryder, however, can't actually meet many of those expectations effectively - a dark elf can't really bite you and use giant fangs to eat you like, say, Shellob can. This severely limits the design space because you have to use only magic spells to get the "feel" of a spider - a creature that's terrifying by all rights.

I did know people would expect what they've seen. And while we'd all decided that we weren't going to do a Dryder, we wanted to visit the concept of Spider Queen from scratch because there is some cool **** in there!

I still stand by this because I think the kit does deliver on this fantasy - and I can't wait to be able to share some of it with you.

Additional issues raised here:

"She's a hot chick with the same body type." This is something that I will have to have the artists talk about. I don't know much about art generally, and this is something that they think about much more!

"But she's a human." There's more going on - be a bit patient

"Why is she not Victorian" Frankly, why should she be? If you wanted to make wacky spider queen, you could maybe do that (and even then...) but I think it's just all over the place. Spidery stuff has plenty going on - a Victorian character should be more about being super posh, maybe even aloof and disconnected.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Needles K View Post
    As I remember it, everybody loved Diana from her sneak peak. That's because she was different and interesting. She didn't give the appearance of having the same personality, body type and even clothing style as many other female champions. I mean, heck, she's actually wearing serious battle clothing rather than a sexy Halloween costume — that alone sets her apart from Zyra, Syndra, Miss Fortune, Evelynn, Katarina, Ahri, Akali, Janna, Morgana and Sejuani. But beyond her clothing, she projected a distinct personality. Elise has the same sort of "sexy predator" thing going on that you used with Zyra just two months ago — in fact, her skin almost turns her into Zyra — and her default skin silhouette reads oddly similar to Syndra as well.

I'm not saying Elise's design is bad, but people are calling it samey because a lot of her theoretically "characteristic" features are actually shared with other female champions. There's less variation than you would expect among a similar sampling of actual humans from different backgrounds.
    </td></tr></table>
    This makes sense. OK, thanks. I'll make sure the art and concept guys do see this
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kelenas View Post
    This. Everyone who is *****ing for a drider just won't aknowledge how unnatural they look when animated. A still pic might make it seem reasonable, but a spider with a human torso doesn't have a logical way to walk.
    </td></tr></table>
    This actually did come into play a lot IIRC.