@Griftrix: Discuss about the possibility of "rangedmelee" attacks? Whips! Tentacles!

• Whips! Tentacles! Tongues! Snake hair! Extendable rubber arms! Flails(not Sejuani's tiny short flail)! Balls with Chains!

If you are the animation guy, are you of stuff like this?

In the future, will we ever get a champion whose auto-attack consists of melee weapons used at range? I don't mean something like Kayle and her ability to make spontaneous combustions by swinging her sword, I mean a person lashing at a target from afar using their appendages or whips.

Like will we ever have a whip-wielding AD Carry where each attack will make the whip lash out at the target in different angles depending on the champion's angle and attack animation? Or a tentacle using champion whose tentacle shoots out, pokes or lashes the target, and retracts back to the user immediately to be shot back out again for his/her second attack.

To get an idea of what I'm talking about. Starcraft 2's Spine Crawlers are sort of what I have in mind for tentacles impaling targets to death as an auto-attack. (5:48)

Or is that still beyond LoL's technical capabilities?
  • Hi. Thanks for asking a question I know stuff about! IF the creative bros needed a champion that did stuff like that, I would be able to assist with technology to help the designers and animators make it happen.

Btw, short answer on the particle thing, no not really. Particles are detached from the character (in that case) and are basically projectiles. Whips are a bit more sophisticated than that and need to be attached to the main character, and the arm of the character.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
    Hi. Thanks for asking a question I know stuff about! IF the creative bros needed a champion that did stuff like that, I would be able to assist with technology to help the designers and animators make it happen.

Btw, short answer on the particle thing, no not really. Particles are detached from the character (in that case) and are basically projectiles. Whips are a bit more sophisticated than that and need to be attached to the main character, and the arm of the character.
    </td></tr></table>
    All I want for Christmas is whip technology so that I may make a champion that whips people with a whip. Let's talk tomorrow.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Unknown Menace View Post
    CertainlyT..

any chance we'll see a new dunkmaster with a whip?

DO IT MAN, you know you CAN!
    </td></tr></table>
    I'll see what I can whip up.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by ploki122 View Post
    So basically, it is impossible right now, but you are ready to put all necessary resources to make it happen if needed?
    </td></tr></table>
    I am always ready to put all the resources possible to do any animation tech thing. The animators are my favorite customers .
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
    Would Nautilus' Dredgeline(Q) or "boomerang particles" like Draven's Ultimate/Sivir's Q be what you're referring to when you say attached to the main character?
    </td></tr></table>
    It's more complicated than that because of the way attacks work. After the hit frame of an attack, you are allowed to run away... Nautilus can't face away from his target when he's tossin' anchors.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
    PS - Speaking of which, is there actually a name for those "ball'n'chain" weapons?
    </td></tr></table>

Flail.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tahroo View Post
    Ah yes, the Flail. Awesome sound and graphic, but with a minimum damage of 1.. one of the least used weapons in a certain popular rpg from the late 90's.
    </td></tr></table>
    It does piercing and bludgeoning damage. Makes it ideal for hunting skeletons and merfolk.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eat Orange Be K View Post
    ಠ_ಠ

This is misinformation. It'll make people think Sejuani counters Karthus
    </td></tr></table>
    And Fizz!
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by CertainlyT View Post
    All I want for Christmas is whip technology so that I may make a champion that whips people with a whip. Let's talk tomorrow.
    </td></tr></table>
    Ok, done.