Nami: So let me get this straight.

• Her q is a ranged aoe stun that scales like this?

75/130/185/240/295 (+0.75*AP)

And she's supposed to be a support? Wut?

Oh and not to mention her ult is a 2200 range massive aoe knock-up/slow that scales like this:

150/250/350 (+0.8*AP)

I'm pretty sure Nami would be much stronger as an AP mid...

Edit: Before GD throws me under the "omg X new champ is so OP nerf pl0x" boat note that this is not the point I'm making. I'm just confused as to why she would even be played support when she seems like such a good AP mid.

Edit 2: So most people are saying that her cooldowns and mana costs are too high. This is a great point, but wouldn't it be possible to itemize against these disadvantages? Something like Athene's?

EDIT 3: I was actually satisfied with the answers I got to this question at around page 5 and I thought this thread would just die out...Couple days later I'm on the forums and have a red post. Thanks Zileas for explaining how Riot balances specific roles, especially between the mid and support lanes respectively. Again, I was just asking a question (not complaining about Nami being OP, see Edit 1) but got downvoted into oblivion...anyway I recommend reading Zileas's answer because it gave a much better explanation than just "The cooldowns are too damn high".
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by DrDivine View Post
    Her q is a ranged aoe stun that scales like this?

75/130/185/240/295 (+0.75*AP)

And she's supposed to be a support? Wut?

Oh and not to mention her ult is a 2200 range massive aoe knock-up/slow that scales like this:

150/250/350 (+0.8*AP)

I'm pretty sure Nami would be much stronger as an AP mid...

Edit: Before GD throws me under the "omg X new champ is so OP nerf pl0x" boat note that this is not the point I'm making. I'm just confused as to why she would even be played support when she seems like such a good AP mid.

Edit 2: So most people are saying that her cooldowns and mana costs are too high. This is a great point, but wouldn't it be possible to itemize against these disadvantages? Something like Athene's?
    </td></tr></table>
    Where's the rule that support champions have to be unable to scale, as opposed to 'OK when not scaled'? I must have missed that one.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by 303Devilfish View Post
    if you let supports scale (at least with ratios like that, anyway), suddenly everyone autolocks her as a mid lane mage, despite her kit still being heavily support oriented. (just like lulu was)
    </td></tr></table>
    I guess I feel like we should still enable dual role characters if it makes sense as possible.

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;"> the idea behind scaling like that is to make her useful without a lot of AP items, right? </td></tr></table>
    Non-scaling means that there should be strong benefit to a team in the absence of a large item advantage. That's not incompatible with an AP mid role where they can scale well with good items. Morgana and Zyra play perfectly fine mids AND bot lane kill lanes.

There are some play balance issues related to this, but they are not insurmountable, you just make the damaging spells a bit more AP reliant than a typical support nuke.

Of course, characters need to be relatively good at something, and relatively worse at something within a particular role. We need Nami to have clear advantages and disadvantages as a support, just like we'd want any support played mid to have clear advantages and weaknesses as an AP mid.

It is difficult to pull off, but it has been pulled off (Morgana, Lux, Zyra, etc)