Do Riot employees get to play LoL at work?

• Not testing/designing or anything work related. Just curious, because I saw Riot Janook playing in a ranked game on Oddone's stream just now and it's ~11:35 AM on a Tuesday (PST). Must be a nice perk

Granted, he could be off work today but that seems pretty sweet.
  • Riot is a pretty cool work place where you're expected to get your work done, and you're held accountable when you don't.

But how you complete your work is largely left up to you. If you need to take a breather for a bit, or play a game or two...

I really enjoy it, especially compared to previous jobs where I often felt like my every move was being watched and monitored. There's a lot of trust here which is really empowering.
  • Someone queue for 3v3! I've been waiting 8 minutes for a match at lunch
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    League matches are actually how many office disputes are settled.
    </td></tr></table>
    Once upon a time there were three little QA Analysts at Riot Games. We'll call them A, J, and V

Uncle Ryze needed a Platform Analyst and a Gameplay Analyst. And i guess a third Analyst but we don't talk about the short, evil V.

In any case, no one knew how best to figure out which QA Analyst should work on which side of things, so a resolution was sought:

1v1, middle.

Many moons later, the victorious J is the most Senior Gameplay Analyst in the office, and A remains the most knowledgeable Platform Analyst on the team.

You see, that's really the only way to answer questions with a degree of true finality: take it to the Fields of Justice.
  • What's going on in here? Get back to work.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by GriMmehHeaven View Post
    Not testing/designing or anything work related. Just curious, because I saw Riot Janook playing in a ranked game on Oddone's stream just now and it's ~11:35 AM on a Tuesday (PST). Must be a nice perk

Granted, he could be off work today but that seems pretty sweet.
    </td></tr></table>
    I generally play a match at the start of every day. Usually it's an internal playtest game, but sometimes its a live game.

I find it helps me keep focused on what's important.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Riot Janook View Post
    I generally play a match at the start of every day. Usually it's an internal playtest game, but sometimes its a live game.

I find it helps me keep focused on what's important.
    </td></tr></table>
    Yup, many Rioters do an internal play test game at the start of each day. People also play at lunch, or just randomly play a game during the day to take a break, then get back to work. People are dedicated, and work hard, so stopping to play a game is a nice way to clear your head before doubling back down on work. Rioters aren't slackers though. The work and effort put in by each Rioter is just as high if not higher than any other place I've worked, which have all been start-ups where people work a lot.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkChibiman View Post
    Suuuure, RiotSchmick; you're a software engineer, you have the best excuse to play LoL of them all:

Tryndamere: RiotSchmick, you're playing another match?!

RiotSchmick: Compiling!
    </td></tr></table>
    OMG, you're on to me! : P
  • Often times, a game is the only way we settle arguments on the community team.