Language Censorship.

• I dont get it, Why make it so that you can disable censored language if people are gonna STILL report. You should make an option for people that are natural born trash talkers. Its been apart of sports for a very long time it dates back centuries. Its all apart of a regime to get in your opponents head mentally. I personally think there should be a queue where you cant report for abusive language.Sort of like certain chat rooms on diff websites where this is a room for foul-mouths and trash-talkers.

Edit: Let the downvotes begin.
  • There's a huge distinction between "Yo I think (that football team) isn't as good as everyone says" trash talk and "haha gg nub r*tards" or worse.

Additionally, trash talking between professional teams/athletes is very different from trash talking random people in a non-coordinated team. The latter is almost always an expression of toxic perspectives instead of friendly rivalries.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Poohnay View Post
    Have you ever heard and NFL team close up..? The **** they say is f-in hilarious but also offensive but its all apart of the game.
    </td></tr></table>
    Not as such, but again, trash talking between professionals != verbally abusing random people.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Pounce and Swipe View Post
    "Being a jerk" should be against the rules, but I don't understand how saying a bunch of curse words in one line without anything else is offensive at all; if it's offensive, you need to put your filter on. If it's not, then it doesn't matter.
    </td></tr></table>
    I can't look up the numbers, but I would be comfortable going out on a limb and saying that I doubt anyone has been banned for saying a curse word and being reported by someone with the language filter on.

I suspect most people who are punished for offensive language are busting out racism, sexism, homophobia, massive tirades, deliberately avoiding the filter, etc.

Do you disagree with that belief?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by InertBlowfish View Post
    Congratulations.

You made a point and invalidated it in one post.

The tribunal doesn't care if you're being friendly or not - if that purple text has swearing in it, then it's insta-punish.
    </td></tr></table>
    I do not agree with your statement in the absence of evidence.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spittinhotfire View Post
    I think y'all are missin the op's point. He wants to be able to rage at enemies, and I think that is fair, as they are the enemy. And they enabled all chat, so how can they whine about it? Now ragin at allies is a dick move, but I think the enemies are fair game
    </td></tr></table>
    No, they are not in the same way that someone disabling their profanity filter doesn't mean I get to scream obscenities at them.

<s>self.jerk = false</s>
  • Quote:
    SO you mean to tell me. That they are grown enough to VIEW curse words but not grown enough to GET cursed at? LMAO
    </td></tr></table>
    Just because someone is willing to see or use adult language doesn't mean you get to be verbally abusive or toxic to them.

All chat is not meant for raging or berating people.

"Caught you jax! " = situationally good all chat.

"HAHA JAX U SCRUB EAT A ****" = always bad all chat.
  • Quote:
    Like come on man Ive been banned so many times just off saying "Whats good my nigha" than i can count. Thats a greeting where im from and people know it. Its just they dont like the fact that they are losing let along to a black guy. So what do they do? "OH IM OFFENDED THATS A RACIAL SLUR" which in fact its not....at least not in the context that i use it...I can see if i said "whats good yu NIGHER"
    </td></tr></table>
    Have you considered altering your behavior after the repeated bans? While on a general level, I understand and completely support your desire to reclaim an oppressive word... When you know that a given behavior gets you banned, perhaps stop doing it.

There's plenty of room to have a discussion of the reclamation of words by oppressed groups, but I think it's fair to say that battles like that aren't really the type of contest that the Fields of Justice are for.

In any case I've provided as much information as I can on this topic; being comfortable with adult language does not mean you want to been verbally abused.

Being ok with cursing doesn't mean you want to be cursed at.
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reappropriation will provide some insight into the concept of reclamation/reappropriation that I was referring to.

It's a linguistic concept that involves taking a previously oppressive word and turning it into a badge of pride.
  • Y'all are welcome to continue discussing this but keep it respectful. This thread will get closed out if it deteriorates into snarky comments and flames.