How many of you are girls?

• (new to the forums, don't hate me)

Just wondering. I'm a girl and once in a while I run into people in-game that make a reference to me being a guy. Then I say I'm a girl, and I get some strange reactions sometimes. (I.E "no way, i bet you're a 40 year old man in his mom's basement" or some people trolling me for it)

I wanna know roughly how many girls play this game, and do you get strange reactions too? Share your stories. :3

EDIT:
    and it's not like I just scream "I'MMA GIRL" in every game, just sometimes the topic arises/my friends call me a "she" and people are like "whaaaa". I'm just wondering how many female players are on here. Someone sent a link that said 90% are male. LOL
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Absolute 42 View Post
    Hey davin i'm wondering about the 90% number that was in the LoL infographic released earlier this year. If what you say is correct, and the number is closer to 80% like this survey shows, how did we get that big of a change? What went on there?
    </td></tr></table>
    The numbers we have from surveys as recent as last week aren't in line with the poll results thus far. I would suggest that this poll is not as accurate as those data, which is to be expected.

Basically, as a sampling tool a forum poll is relatively weak in terms of how specific it'll be--if it gets participation without any systematic selection effects, a poll can be a little more precise, but really your best (reasonably non-crazy logistics) bet with this kind of thing is to do random selection rather than opt-in. When opt-in is necessary (like the forum survey that got posted), going broad and high volume makes it a bit safer, as you can be a little more sure of what the conditions that led a player to respond were like.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by NJ Gamer View Post
    not in the survey in romulus' thread:
    http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2865906
    </td></tr></table>
    Hah! Nice. I will be more precise! Almost every random sample survey I work on This fits into the categories of not a random sample one and not one that I worked on!
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saikaici View Post
    davin, was there any juicy info that you found that might be interesting for us?
    </td></tr></table>
    Oops! Sorry for the delay, I've been a busy Davin. Not much exciting to report on--there's little gender representation difference between forum posters and the general population The forum poll is not quite representative of all the other data we've gathered, basically. Forum polls in general will be a little more error prone than a random sample survey, even with selection effects sort of rolled up into that.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by SgtSarros View Post
    How do you figure out who is male or female anyway?That was asked by a few people on here, and I dont' remember selecting a gender when we created my account x.x though I have a bad memory.
    </td></tr></table>
    Surveys let us get a random sample of the population and get something representative. You'll have some self-selection error variance (not everyone who gets an invitation to a survey will respond, and there may be systematic variance in that), but it's a pretty decent gauge. We get gender in every survey we do, so we have quite a giant set of data on that
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saikaici View Post
    How many of the users on the forums are actually girls though?

Because assuming the sample space is the players of league(where approx 10% are female), we also have to look at the cases where the player goes on the forums, right?

So this poll gauges P[User == Female |User is on the forums]. Also, trolls that aren't honest. -.-

It's kind of interesting if the gender of players visiting the forums are ~20%(Accounting for trolls selecting female). Of course this makes multiple assumptions...
    </td></tr></table>
    Correct. Forum polls in general tend to be rather inaccurate gauges, since self-selection happens pretty hard. It's entirely possible that forum posting skews to representing more female than the general playerbase does! I am going to check my data when I get in to work tomorrow Interest piqued!
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZettaFlower View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fish n Chicks View Post
    Statistically, only 10% of LoL players are female. That's what Riot said, anyway.
    </td></tr></table>
    LOL seriously?
    well, my curiosity is satisfied
    </td></tr></table>
    This is correct! The specific % varies a bit from region to region. I haven't checked recently to see if the forum over/under represents, so it's entirely possible that the forum poster population is higher or lower than that.