Discussion about Riot Quality Assurance

• [LEFT]I didn't specifically see a "[email protected]" email... besides the job app one, so I've decided to openly ask the Rioters who are a part of that QA group, a few questions, so that other people who are curious about riot QA can have an idea as well.

If you can't be specific about certain things, such as the tools you use, because of NDA's, or just wanting to keep the secrets to yourselves, I understand, but I'd love it if you guys could be specific, e.g. "Yes we have some automated tools, but we can't really explain them openly"

So, to start this off, what kind of QA will land you a QA job at Riot? game QA? dev QA? web QA? all of the above?

Are most QA employees located in Santa Monica?

What is an average day like at Riot?

Do you have an issue tracker that you check/close/verify bugs with like JIRA?

Are the hours pretty typical 9-5?

to the outside world, it seems like you guys aim for 1-2 week sprints. I would guess 1 week dev, 2nd week hardening, then release if there are no open bugs... Is this accurate? Or do you have different dev methods?

What is the office environment like? Are you guys generally in the same area, do you chill near the developers?

This is the list of job postings under QA for Santa Monica

Events QA Analyst
    Game Analyst
    Global Delivery & Live QA
    Junior Technical Writer
    Platform Analyst
    QA Director
    QA Engineer
    QA Manager
    Quality Assurance Lead
    Release Analyst
    Technical Quality Analyst
    Web QA Analyst

Currently, do certain people fit many hats for these job designations? e.g. is RiotRoku a Events QA Analyst and a Release Analyst as well? Or is each one separate?

If you could rank them in terms of experience vs career growth. from bottom to top, how would you "rank" them? (Entry-level vs experienced/seasoned level)

Currently I'm a QA engineer for a web dev company, how would that translate to what the QA Engineer does at Riot? It appears the basic QA methodologies are the same, but perhaps just the tools/way of testing is different? (webdev vs gamedev)

How much automation does a QA employee at Riot create/manage? Be that in Automated Scripts, Regression tests, API tests, or any of the above?

I supposed demographics could be interesting... Are most of the QA guys in a specific age bracket? Are they from California originally?

For a more open ended question, I guess, being at Riot, as QA, what are some things you are really happy about/that you get to work on?

I don't expect all of these to be answered, I'm just interested in potentially applying and feel like it would be beneficial to understand more before I take that leap![/LEFT]

Thanks for your time! Peace.
  • Thanks for your interest in Riot QA! Let me answer some of your questions.

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;"> So, to start this off, what kind of QA will land you a QA job at Riot? game QA? dev QA? web QA? all of the above? </td></tr></table>
    All of the above.

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;"> Are most QA employees located in Santa Monica? </td></tr></table>
    Most people are in Santa Monica.

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;"> What is the office environment like? Are you guys generally in the same area, do you chill near the developers? </td></tr></table>
    We are integrated with devs.

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;"> This is the list of job postings under QA for Santa Monica

Events QA Analyst
    Game Analyst
    Global Delivery & Live QA
    Junior Technical Writer
    Platform Analyst
    QA Director
    QA Engineer
    QA Manager
    Quality Assurance Lead
    Release Analyst
    Technical Quality Analyst
    Web QA Analyst

Currently, do certain people fit many hats for these job designations? e.g. is RiotRoku a Events QA Analyst and a Release Analyst as well? Or is each one separate? </td></tr></table>
    Each of those job postings is for a different position within Riot QA. We have lots of openings so if you are interested please apply!

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;"> Currently I'm a QA engineer for a web dev company, how would that translate to what the QA Engineer does at Riot? It appears the basic QA methodologies are the same, but perhaps just the tools/way of testing is different? (webdev vs gamedev) </td></tr></table>
    The principals are the same but the tech domain is different.

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;"> How much automation does a QA employee at Riot create/manage? Be that in Automated Scripts, Regression tests, API tests, or any of the above? </td></tr></table>
    This varies depending on the exact position.

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;"> For a more open ended question, I guess, being at Riot, as QA, what are some things you are really happy about/that you get to work on? </td></tr></table>
    Here is a good link that talks about what QA here at Riot is like.

http://www.riotgames.com/careers/red...aming-industry
  • If anyone else has any questions about Riot QA please post them here and I will do my best to answer them.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by CobaltCobalt View Post
    I'd love to work with Riot but I'd hate to move.

Is all QA done on site?
    </td></tr></table>
    All of our QA positions are on site
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Tidal Trickstér View Post
    so does the a QA position offer relocation assistance?
    </td></tr></table>
    Yes.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morgageddon View Post
    RiotBufo: Which section of QA do you work in? Dev? Release? Live? Or Events?

I'm just waiting to hear back about my phone interview...I might be lucky and have an in person interview down there soon, so I could pester you about the other questions in person

-Morgageddon
    </td></tr></table>
    I work with lots of teams but mostly focus on automation, game features, web, and new content.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peak View Post
    That's surprising. Does that vary depending on the experience of the applicant?
    </td></tr></table>
    No, all positions are full time and all are eligible for relocation assistance.
  • Quote:
    I've been considering applying for a Game Analyst position. I do have quite a bit of experience with web development (PHP), but I was leaning towards Game Analyst anyway. I've done beta testing quite a bit, and I'm not asking about whether or not I'd be a good fit (I think I would).

But would the job provide experience that would be worthwhile for someone interested in a career in game development/design, in your personal opinion? Is it something I could place on a resumé and have it mean something? And is there mobility available within Riot Games? Say, I start with Game Analyst, but then it turns out down the line I have a real knack for figuring out bugs with the website - would I be able to move around in that case?

It seems like Game Analyst might be more of a "get your foot in the door" type of job. Am I wrong?
    </td></tr></table>
    All of the experience that a Rioter gains is dependent on their want and drive to learn more; beyond their regular duties of the job they were given. Everyone is welcome to explore different paths alongside their day-to-day responsibilities and we encourage people to find growth opportunities and accept new challenges.

So does the job provide experience for someone interested in design? Absolutely, you would be exposed to a variety of information and creativity that could help drive you in that direction if you so chose. Additionally, if you excel in one area and not another, then it's okay to find a fit within a new team or different department. We don't limit the potential of any of the employees here and make an effort to understand what their goals are and help them align those goals with those of Riot Games.

-Havoc
  • Quote:
    Thanks for the response.
    It's nice to see a Rioter who is mortal (black name!) like the rest of us.
    </td></tr></table>
    Haha, I'm actually trying to fix that little issue, since most people will wonder why someone isn't verified as Riot. :P

But I sympathize with your feelings there!
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thanatos Noa View Post
    I'd love to work at Riot, but I come from a programming background. I was however the 'lead QA dev' for my last game project. Any chances it might help me land a job here?
    </td></tr></table>
    Previous experience is always helpful when applying for a position!