S3 Armor pen / Magic pen discrepancy

• Why can I stack the flat armor penetration from Brutalizer + Ghostblade + Black Cleaver in the updated S3 items, but I cannot stack Haunting Guise + Liandry's Torment?

Seems odd, considering they are the same mechanic, yet the Haunting Guise and Liandry's Torment have the "Eye's of Pain" handicap.

Not to mention, Haunting Guise and Sorc boots both got reduced to 15 pen. And the new Liandry's is only 15.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Dryesias View Post
    Why can I stack the flat armor penetration from Brutalizer + Ghostblade + Black Cleaver in the updated S3 items, but I cannot stack Haunting Guise + Liandry's Torment?

Seems odd, considering they are the same mechanic, yet the Haunting Guise and Liandry's Torment have the "Eye's of Pain" handicap.
    </td></tr></table>
    Burst casters need tighter balance control to avoid becoming totally unstoppable. ADs by their nature are more avoidable because their damage is sustained.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Dryesias View Post
    And then the AD's who are burst casters and not sustained, what of them?
    </td></tr></table>
    Well, they were underpowered before this, so hopefully it means they are OK now.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;"> And then the AD's who are burst casters and not sustained? </td></tr></table>
    It's a question of where you solve the overall problem based on it's size. If AD Burst Casters become out of line with penetration, it's a better solution to target those characters directly.

The advantage of magic damge over physical damage is typically the following:

1. Every champion's armor scales based on level, usually ending up at double or triple their starting armor value. Armor is a much easier statistics to have volatile due to the fact that we can count on everyone basically being "forced" to get armor.

2. Attack Damage, in general, is more expensive than ability power on a per-point basis because of it's multiplicative nature with attack speed and critical chance.

3. Magic Resistance, in general, is harder to accumulate in large quantities on a per-slot basis wheras Armor is much easier to accumulate. As Zileas pointed out, this relationship is true because of the nature of sustained damage versus burst damage.

These restrictions limit AD Burst Casters much more heavily than AP Burst Casters and thus penetration overall being stronger for AD Burst Casters merely helps to put them on a more even footing with the rest of the class subsets.