Can we perhaps look forward to a Diana-esque release in the near(ish) future?

• I felt like Diana getting released was just such an epic buildup/moment. The forum rumors and codes from IronStylus beforehand, the login music, the cool character introspectives and stuff. She was also one of the last new champs whose lore I actually liked

Any chance we could see another epic, legendary, buildup-style champ soon?
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by DaRatmastah View Post
    I felt like Diana getting released was just such an epic buildup/moment. The forum rumors and codes from IronStylus beforehand, the login music, the cool character introspectives and stuff. She was also one of the last new champs whose lore I actually liked

Any chance we could see another epic, legendary, buildup-style champ soon?
    </td></tr></table>
    Not so sure about buildup, I'm not too involved on that end of things at the moment, but if we do things right there'll be a decent amount to chew on for Nami's release. There's a lot of story there, a lot of character, I'm really glad we were able to make her so cohesive. She already has some pretty neat connections to the ladies of my life.. the plot thickens..

In terms of a sorta "viral" super-hype that happened with Diana, I'm not sure that'll be the norm, A LOT of that was actually spur of the moment. Yes, I was hinting at her very indirectly for a while but the "Embrace the Heresy" and "Protect the Faith" factions emerged just about over night. It was hurried and not really standard. I think it was an impromptu prototype, but anything we do from here on out will be better orchestrated, with more forethought and less me running around the internet like a crazy person =)

Diana proved that we could do a lot with not a ton of resources. We just knew the real-estate we had to work with. We happened to use it effectively. Since then teams have developed to handle the rolling out of champions, especially on the story/lore side, similar to what you saw with Elise and the Shadow Isles. That will begin to pick up steam and hopefully make for even more complete and compelling character releases.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Enrayged View Post
    If you wish to have my entirely unprofessional opinion... That's WHY it worked - it was just so unexpected and subtle that it eventually grew to a wildfire.

Of course, I suppose we have yet to see a flawlessly organized champion-hype campaign - I won't count Elise, since that was more like a champion hyping a setting.
    </td></tr></table>
    That sort of stuff is hard to replicate, but yeah, I suppose that's what made Diana's release special in a lot of regards. The subtlety of the build-up made people unaware at how blindsided they'd be just by the login screen alone, or the AMA, or the fount of information we had to spark discussions with. I think we could have gone further, oh MAN would I have loved to go further.. As I said though, we had only a limited amout of canvas to use. I think eventually we'll be able to tell more story of that particular arc. Nami will add a very cool component to the arc and, even if subtle, will complicate and make the Diana/Leona story line more rich by what that release will add.

I'll leave it to the Loricles of Creative Design to explain and weave their magic, but they've done some really beautiful stitching of stories.

In the future I'd love to push the Leona/Diana/Mt Targon story line further. It's ripe territory and the creative designers grant me the honor of having a decent amount of input on where those stories might go. Myself, Volty, Runaan and Harrow have what I think is a really compelling story to tell, and we think we've figured out a cool way to do it. It'll take time though and it depends what our player base will want. This isn't the only story to tell, but we feel it's compelling and relatable.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by T8te View Post
    I believe that was all Ironstylus. I find it doubtful that we'll get another Leona related champ release in the near(ish) future
    </td></tr></table>
    I did have a lot to do with it, I won't disavow that, but it's not possible without an army of passionate people. I and Volty were maybe.. the "drivers" of how far we wanted to push the engagement, but yeah, I guess I was the more fanatical one =)

That doesn't mean there won't be more of those champions along the pipe someday, nor does it discount how we might be able to tell the stories through skins. )I have a neat idea about that!)

In the meantime, there will be more characters brained by the same people who brought you Diana as a champion. I don't want to divulge too much, but myself, Volty, Runaan and Harrow (Team Diana) have since worked on a similarly cohesive champion, not really related, but something which we're pouring the same amount of love and effort into as holistic character development is concerned. I'm not sure what form a buildup we can create (the opportunities aren't quite as fertile as in the Diana case) but we're dumping the same amount of thought that made, at least in how I feel, Diana a really special character.

I like making relatable characters. I like characters who's choices are choices we can identify with. I'm very much about humble beginnings, stories of loss which is overcome, coming from loss and finding something that completes you, something that allows you to stretch your wings, to fly and become the extraordinary. Finding something that catalyzes you and allows your character to cement, balancing the calm with the brash, to equalize, to be able to hone in on any target, aim true, and pull the trigger with confidence.

The super natural can be fun, but I like characters that are deeply rooted in how they are realistically affected by the world. How they react to their evolving world and how that world shapes them. I like them to have two solid feet on the ground, just like me, but having earned something through choice that lets them soar.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrHarz View Post
    As much as I dislike unnecessary or unfitting sexualization (ala Akali) Nami is fine, and IronStylus had nothing to do with designing her, stop acting like he's the only artist at Riot.
    </td></tr></table>
    As I've said, I feel Nami is an elegant and clever solution to an age old trope which we have brought freshness and relevancy to. I have my issues with some of the solutions we've come up with in the past, but yes, I'm not the only artist, I am one among many, and I happen to like the direction we've gone with her.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rauron View Post
    I know; that's why I edited the comment. I'm assuming you quoted before the edit went through, or without refreshing, which is entirely reasonable. I guess the problem is that there really aren't any other artists willing to step forward. That's a super sucky situation, because the only guy we -DO- see is the one guy really working to achieve something different.

That being said, I'm curious to know why you think Nami is fine. To me, her problematic visual design is glaringly obvious, so I'm legitimately wondering what it is that you're seeing or not seeing.
    </td></tr></table>
    I'd rather not totally derail the thread with the sexualization discussion. We're talking about holistic champion release right now.

Also, I'm not the only one cognizant. A lot of people are after a lot of good discussions we've all had. It's all about variety on an ideal cadence which takes advantage of characters that we can really push boundaries on. We've nailed it sometimes, and not nailed it other times. I feel we're on the path to nailing it.

When you see things really change, it's not be going to be of my direct impact on that situation, it's because the people I work with are extremely smart and have reached the same conclusions I have. They look around, they analyze, they gather and incorporate feedback.

I never have to harp, I just speak my mind. Slowly things change. Not one person is nor can ever be solely responsible in a change in trajectory.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Decoylegends View Post
    Why not four?
    </td></tr></table>
    Reasons. I will let you marinate on the subtext that's oozing from that particular section of the paragraph you're quoting.