@Riot Doesn't Steel Legion Lux go against everything you've said about skin design?

• It's not fitting to her character, it's overdone on her in particular and it isn't a legendary.

She's a bubbly rainbow shooting light mage. Okay. Her two initial skins at least tried to capture this personality, and Spellthief is her undisputed best skin. Then Commando came out to give her that "grrr badass" edge, as well as fit alongside the Demacian theme. Cool, I mean it was bad, but you were branching out. To make up for it, she got another cold, militaristic skin, with the angry furrowed brows and badass stance. Better, but at that point both her skins were fairly similar in theme, and let's be honest, only a small fraction of Lux players prefer either of those over Spellthief.

Fast forward a year later, and she gets yet another gritty military looking skin. Why is this? I am actually a little befuddled and would like an answer here. Morello himself denied us the Magical Girl Lux skin, because it was too similar to Sorceress. Then this comes out, is this skin not too similar to Commando and Imperial?

Skins are supposed to explore ideas beyond the champion, each skin should be treading new ground for the character and provide a wealth of options that will appeal to many players' tastes, while also retaining the characters core feeling. An example I like to use is Ziggs. You guys do fantastic work with him, all of his skins are great, different, and retain that Ziggs core feeling. Lux has had two of these hardcore/edgy skins, neither of which were praised. Steel Legion does not fit Lux's character thematically any more than it did before, and frankly I don't understand why you keep pushing for it. She's not an enigma in design, she's cute, blonde, shoots light, and is insanely positive - how hard is it to build a skin around that? The community has certainly given you all a wealth of ideas.

The justification for this new Steel Legion Lux seems to be her new animations. I'll admit, they are snazzy, but say you put that recall and attack animation on Imperial, it would look perfectly at home because it's too similar. Her actual skin model itself is really clunky and gross and bland, just gonna be frank. It goes from black pants to metal armor, whoa, inspired. As far as I can tell her light hasn't gotten any new particle effects, it probably has, but I can't be certain atm.

So, let's go over this. The new skin for Lux is very similar to two she already has (which Morello said is a no-no,) none of them fit her core personalty, and it is NOT a legendary skin, which is basically Riot's excuse for going completely insane on a champion's theme. I don't get it, it doesn't make sense that this skin was made and pushed through and accepted as a quality skin for Lux. I am respectfully asking for an artist or skin designer or someone to shed some light on the thought process behind Steel Legion Lux, because no matter how I turn it I cannot fathom why it was made. Two years to learn, two years to get ideas from the community, create and imagine, and yet two years of these same skins.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Euphoria Pisces View Post
    Morello himself denied us the Magical Girl Lux skin, because it was too similar to Sorceress.
    </td></tr></table>
    i think you may be misrepresenting morello a bit here. i believe he said we wouldn't do a marisa kirisame skin. a magical girl is something else. :3

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Euphoria Pisces View Post
    I am respectfully asking for an artist or skin designer or someone to shed some light on the thought process behind Steel Legion Lux, because no matter how I turn it I cannot fathom why it was made. Two years to learn, two years to get ideas from the community, create and imagine, and yet two years of these same skins.
    </td></tr></table>
    this is a little harder to speak to without you being able to play her in game with all of her changes. she has a new set of spell effects, along with some new animations and sound effects, that are really important to the theme and feel of the skin. once she's playable on the pbe, her theme will be much more clear—this isn't really a 'military' skin. if i had to give it a label, i'd say it's more like a 'function-over-form tech' skin, which is not a unheard of request for lux skins.

a point i'll totally concede to is that there are definitely lux players that desperately want another magical skin. i'm in that camp. it's not the touhou fan in me so much as it is that i think the 'spellthief' part of lux's background is really cool and has a ton of room to explore concepts relating to that, and i know others think so as well. that said, that doesn't mean there aren't desires for other types of lux skins from others. there are lux fans out there that have been waiting a long time for a skin like this.

if you want to know more about the concept itself you could probably bait ironstylus into chatting about it—iirc, this was one of his.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by soulsong22 View Post
    You guys really need to consider moving on, having 4 skins continually with the same type of -robiticish- theme is going straight back into the fire and ice theme spam, specially with Vi coming out.
    </td></tr></table>
    this is something we talk about internally. we want to be better about cadence when possible of course, but we also want to push ourselves to always explore those themes deeply—when we do them we want them to each be unique/special to the champion, and we want consistency there.

thanks for the feedback~
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Miserabilia View Post
    So, what, is this the attempt at the hextech lux skin. The one that's infinitely better than this one?
    </td></tr></table>
    i know you wanted to be scathing instead of constructive, but if you were to talk about why you prefer the hextech theme over the steel legion theme, i'd greatly appreciate it. emotional feedback is good, but emotional feedback with context is amazing. i'm interested in hearing what you have to say about it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by headhunter228 View Post
    Now that I can finally get back on my computer...you already have two military skins. Haven't you explored that theme deeply enough already?

Although, you do get points for consistency, but they are immeadiately taken away for being consistent about something that the vast majority of the community does not want.

I'd be willing to bet this will be another 1350 skin, and that will only be the final nail in the coffin.
    </td></tr></table>
    i think you misunderstand. i'm saying in the future whenever we do a 'common theme' like fire, ice, mecha, etc we want to make sure preserving what makes the champion unique over the theme. so, a 'fire teemo' skin would have to be more than just a fire avatar in the shape of teemo with fire particles. that post had nothing to do with lux getting a non-magical skin, but it does mean that this skin should feel like lux first, tech second.

if you play this skin in game and feel like it's a theme slapped onto a character, and not an exploration of lux in a new scenario/theme, then we've missed the mark. if you have a pbe account, please pop into the pbe forums and give us your feedback once you've had a chance to play with the skin (should be early next week).
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by IMelchorI View Post
    what do you think about the examples i gave in that other post. do you personally like any of them?

all i can say is that i would like to see one of those (or similar to) rather than the mecha skin. people may agree or disagree, its just personal taste.

edit.: this is something you guys could try in the future. make a forum thread with a poll about different themes you came up with for a champions skin and just see, how the community reacts.
    </td></tr></table>
    personally, i love the second image (angelic). the flonne reference posted earlier in the thread is fantastic too—flonne is a great example of character being a primary focus over theme. the other two have cool things about them as well, of course, but if we're talking personal taste i'd want the second image way more than the others.

and yeah, i totally get that there is demand for a lux skin like the images you posted (i want something like that too). that isn't something anyone needs to be convinced of because it's just fact. it's also plain to see that steel legion lux isn't like the images you posted (same with lux's last two skins), so i get why some people are frustrated and/or disappointed since they're getting something far removed from their first choice for a skin.

the thinking is that there is still demand for a skin like steel legion lux, and we think it's also a fine theme, so we want to make it and ship it. if our execution is off, we want to address it. if our prioritization is off, then that's something we want to get better at as well. unfortunately, forum responses aren't the most objective in terms of what makes sense for prioritization, but they can be very helpful regardless.

i'm a little interested in the forum polling idea—that might be something we can try in the future if there aren't huge issues with it. polling aside, i do think the feedback we get from the forums is extremely valuable, which is why i post in threads like these and hang around for a while.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Miserabilia View Post
    Because the Hextech skin actually looks cool and isn't a third attempt at a military skin for the same champion, essentially.

http://fallout161.deviantart.com/art...-Lux-199740326

That reminds me of an even bubblier version of Moira Brown from FO3.

Then there's this skin, which reminds me of Commando Lux, for a third time.
    </td></tr></table>
    thanks for the follow-up.

what specifically about the hextech image do you think looks cool? curious to know what aspects are the highlights for you (and 'why' if you're able to elaborate). i'd like anyone else interested in that hextech concept to chime in as well.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Krimson62 View Post
    Would it really be so bad to think about, or at least pitch to the art team about adding more color to it?
    </td></tr></table>
    of course that wouldn't be bad. we have discussions like that often, and also create threads in the pbe forum to gather feedback from players that want to weigh in on the matter. as soon as steel legion lux is actually on the pbe, we'll do the same for that skin too.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by headhunter228 View Post
    Just a straight answer. That's all we're asking for.
    </td></tr></table>
    i've acknowledged the sentiments of the thread (and i'm continuing to follow along so i hear as many points of view as possible), but what's the 'straight question' that you want answered you feel hasn't been addressed?
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by winniekinz View Post
    What made you guys decide to make a 3rd military inspired skin for one champion in a row
    </td></tr></table>
    ironstylus and the bravo ray had an idea for a pair of skin lines. long story short, the 'steel legion' theme is something ironstylus started working on, and steel legion lux is the first of his initial concepts to be brought up into the release cycle.

so, why did we decide to go forward with this skin for lux? we liked the pitch and wanted to move forward with the theme.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by winniekinz View Post
    Why do you think Steel Legion fits Lux more than any other champion in the league. Why didn't you guys decide to explore another theme with this champion and when do you plan on doing so?
    </td></tr></table>
    this is kind of related to the above, but this wasn't a theme made exclusively for lux—she's one of several that fits the theme. anyway, lux is a fit because of her kit (her spells are a great way to showcase what steel legion is all about), as well as her background (i.e., what she stands for, who she is)—there's a strong thematic tie when you get into the lore behind the steel legion. if you have any other questions specifically about the steel legion and/or how lux fits into it, you should flag down ironstylus since he came up with it.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueWallpaper View Post
    part of the issue is that it's very unclear that feedback has any impact at all. you start feedback threads on the PBE forum then seem to ignore the feedback (can't think of a single example of any suggested change being effected).

my favorite example is bioforge darius. 95% of the feedback 'make the bleed stacks green', a really easy change (just about the easiest imaginable for a skin) and yet it went completely ignored.
    </td></tr></table>
    almost all of the feedback on the pbe is brought up and discussed with the team. some of it is implemented, some of it is taken as a lesson for the future, and some is shot down. green bleed stacks were shot down. our cadence is so fast that we often aren't able to respond directly to the feedback, but we do read it and take it seriously.