Pantheon with Black Cleaver, Rylai's Crystal Scepter, Last Whisper

• This is actually kind of humorous, as we had an item in testing that read something like:

Unique Passive: Converts up to 80 of your AP into AD.
    Unique Passive: 50% of your magic damage is dealt as physical damage instead.

Just to see if people liked trying to build builds like this - it turned out to just be kind of confusing overall - though that's probably due to the second passive rather than the first.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;"> How amazing this item would be... Generally champs either go armor pen or magic pen, or neither. This would definitely benefit AD casters and bruisers that deal both magic + physical. Why this item never make it </td></tr></table>
    Mostly, you just kind of screwed yourself when you bought the item. Conversion meant that you lost the AP and most of the time, people have more armor than magic resistance.

That and we couldn't really give the item any real statistics - because it potentially converted a useless stat for you into a useful stat for you entirely (80 AP -> 40 AD) or it really didn't do much for your scaling at all (for those with split AD/AP ratios.)

In the end, it was just like '...Okay, so your DPS before and after the item is the same or worse... Why am I even paying gold for this item again?' The item is *much much* worse than it looks because of how you have to price the conversion passive.

It also kind of screwed hybrids. On the surface, it looks like Akali or Jax would do well with it - but then you just screwed up your damage type so badly that any penetration options you had were worse, not better.
  • I tried it in a normal game to some great extent, it worked really well. When my ult was on cooldown as well as my flash, Rylai's saved my life even when two or three enemies was coming after me. After using my combo alot of times cho etc (tanks) always have enough health to run away but using any of my skills will let me catch up an get the kill, even after using my ult in team fights all of them are slowed so after killing the carry or support in one combo i usually get another kill bec my spare catches them with the slow from Rylai's, to add to that my ult an stun hurt alot more...

I used it bec i got fed up of doing my combo in some situations and can not escape no matter wat i do...
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;"> OK so why give AD caster AP ratios, to not make to OP or did u all intended for some type of hybrid build. Bec only Panth that i know of that can not catch another opponent after killing ur first if they are trying to run away, Lee Sin its easy, Wu Kong its Easy, and that is why im getting Rylais on Panth bec Lee an Wu etc have skills for them to escape. Rylais to me solves this problem for panth with catching and escaping. </td></tr></table>
    We give some characters AP ratios on their abilities because they don't necessarily need to scale in damage throughout the entire game to still be a useful part of the kit or if the primary function of the skill tends to change between laning and team fights.

For example, Jarvan's E has an AP ratio and scaling damage per rank - but that's because it can be used as a primary harass tool in lane. We add the ratio on there so that you feel good about benefiting from some team buffs - but we don't intend it to be a primary scaling path.

Typically, we also get to inject more base power into a skill if we don't intend it to scale at all and cause it to scale with the champion's "off-stat". Urgot's shield for example, has really high bases and a powerful utility effect because it doesn't scale with his primary statistic.

We throw the scaling on there just because there's a lot of team AP buffs that we still want to have some effect on there like WoTA/Whimsy/Nashor.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;"> Since you're mentioning hybrids are there any plans for further AD/AP hybrid itemization? Currently we only have Gunblade and the situational Rageblade. You strictly mention Jax and Akali but I sometimes wonder about champs who can be played either AD or AP ala Yi, Sion or Tristana getting some hybrid love. </td></tr></table>
    The supposed benefits of having split AP/AD ratios should be in the fact that you have the potential to benefit well from almost any item with AP and AD and that your opponents can't build a single resistance statistic against you - not in that there's specific over-the-top items that offer more 50% more combined statistics than average but split across statistics that most people find hard to use.

I'm not a huge fan of specific hybrid itemization due to this fact - by making specific stat loaded hybrid items - you really just destroy the main benefits of having dual ratios - the ability to buy whatever you want and use it well - for the superficial benefit of appearing to build differently.

Now, there's probably an argument that if you can build AD or AP items - then mathematically, there's the best damage build for the character with pure AD or pure AP but the benefits should come in the utility that you choose to specialize in, rather than the raw damage aspect.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;"> Have you tried a similar concept with a toggle? Like:
    state 1 = AP is converted into bonus AD
    state 2 = bonus AD is converted into AP, with a different ratio ofc. </td></tr></table>
    We did - in general, state 2 is 95% of the time, a terrible terrible state to be in - if you have that much bonus AD to begin with - you're going to want to keep it as AD.