How can I stay equally leveled in the jungle?

• Hey there everyone, I'm not extremely good at the game, and especially not at jungle. After s3 started I seem to be so underleveled when I jungle, falling behind even duo lanes to the point where i can't even gank for a kill. And most of the time the other team's jungler is in the same scenario. My main junglers are trundle, lee sin, maokai, and jax (so I'm not going around jungling karthus anymore, sadly). After the patch, the jungle creatures got stronger while the experience they give stayed the same. How can I keep up in levels with the lanes? I don't want to be useless anymore.
  • I had the same issues when I started out with S3 jungle.
    After a lot of failures, I've found that a pretty safe way to do it is to pick up a Machete + 5 Pots. This is pretty much the universal jungle build now. Do wolves/wraiths, then go to blue/red. It's instrumental that someone help you kill it and puts lots of damage on it until you're ready to smite (or--even better--give you a smiteless first buff). Immediately after that, if you're a ganking jungler, go straight to the other buff and kill it. If no one leeched your XP, you should now be level 3 while everyone else is level 1 (!!!) or 2. From here, you can gank or continue to farm depending on who you're playing.

The key really is to get Machete.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Averath View Post
    Wasn't it Riot's goal to make it more difficult for ganking junglers to reach level 3 before laners? I thought that was the point of making the monsters more difficult.
    </td></tr></table>
    It is more difficult. What I described was completely doable in season 2 as well, just not quite as necessary.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by aznmastah54 View Post
    Riot has really made the S3 jungle a sort of pseudo-lane in which the gold/exp gained is on par with the gold/exp gained in lane. The problem with the S2 jungle was that the gold/exp was just not enough to compete with in-lane champions. Thus, junglers were heavily reliant on early ganks/assists. Thus, junglers who have good early gank potential (leesin) or junglers with fast clear speeds (shyvana) were preferred. With the changes in S3, we now see junglers having a choice between early ganking, and staying in the jungle to amass some gold/exp before ganking. The changes makes the jungle strategy much more involved in the game in general. Counterjungling at the right time can really ruin someones jungle advantage.
    </td></tr></table>
    I haven't done the math with S3 jungle, but when I was doing calculations for the TT jungle based on the old SR jungle, I found that it was tuned such that its maximum gold income (assuming you killed each camp as soon as it spawned) was exactly equal to your gold income if you got a perfect creep score each minion wave in lane.

I don't remember if this was pre-or-post banking changes though.