Riot is too cool for Q

• It has recently come to my attention that there are literally no champions that utilize

the letter "Q". This is an outrage, a letter of such sophistication deserves better than being

placed in a few fringe items (ie Quicksilver sash etc.) I am sure that my fellow summoners

feel the same way and will join me in my quest....I will Q.Q until I get my Q!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Keep in mind, I am not in the finance department, but I think it's because of the licensing costs of the letter you mentioned. It has been difficult to justify it for a character name. We have to make choices about using that letter or spending more time on particle effects. One way we might be able to use that letter is if we made a legendary champion, but I don't think that will be well received.

If you don't believe me about the cost of using that letter, check scrabble.
  • Ugh.. THIS conversation again.

The Q "problem", easily solved by the combination of K + W.

Try it!
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Crazeh Fruit View Post
    How about we just get an O, and put a line on it.
    </td></tr></table>
    I like ideas like this. if we use 2 different characters and just put them really close together we might be able to get away with it. [ O, ] is close. Does O,uailman work for you guys?
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by BlueThingamajig View Post
    That is absolute and utter BS
    As a top ten* scrabble player and veteran of numerous competitions, I can draw from my vast expertise because...GASP! The letter Z is equivalent in price to the letter Q. 10x more than the letter A, or N, or T, which all have a bajillion champions to their letters.

And Z? Zyra. Zilean. Zaun, Zed

Are you telling us that Z is cost-efficient, but Q isn't?

*in my division
    </td></tr></table>
    Z doesn't have the same mafia like control as the other letter. The license for that is a lot easier because you aren't required to have that bodyguard letter to make sure nothing goes wrong on the job. It's a total racket, but we just have to deal with it.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vandarus View Post
    In an effort to keep costs down, could we perhaps use the smaller "q" versus the larger "Q"? Seems like a reasonable compromise if that would be more cost efficient.
    </td></tr></table>
    I really like the way you're thinking here, but for consistent text style we may have to lowercase the rest of the champions. I'm afraid of the forum uproar if we "nerf" the names.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by BooleanCube View Post
    Back when Riot was small, they couldn't even afford all of java. Check out some legit code still used in their client today:

Giving up 'w' was a hard choice, but when you've got families to feed you have to make sacrifices. Maybe now that E-Sports is getting bigger, they can afford to rebuild the client from the ground up with a full alphabet and without Adobe.
    </td></tr></table>
    Unfortunately, due to the fact that our e-sports has *ualifying matches we are pretty much just eating that cost so you guys have some cool things to watch.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nigka Lee View Post
    Well to make it cheaper just name the character "Q" than atleast you don't have to pay for the other letters just the one lol
    </td></tr></table>
    I don't think you understand how strong the license for that letter is. They have such an iron grip on its use that they make you use a bodyguard letter with it. It's like trying to make a movie with union workers without making the movie a "union movie". If we tried to circumvent things like that it could be very very costly.