Lower Tier Skins

• Why do you guys think?

We used to have this, but IronStylus grout a great point some characters simply might not need whole new particles as they they thematically work better with their existing particles.

Lower tier is not the right word I suppose these skins can have lots of details in them but just not a whole new theme.

Idea into parrot's words

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
    Hey, I didnt see anything about skins on here so I have an odd question.. It's something that's been on my brain for a while.. Recently, as a lot of people have noticed, our quality of skins has gone up, including sometimes near reworks of entire champions when we produce skins. We do custom animations, particles, and a lot of other features. It's a big improvement from what we refer to now as "color swaps", when sometimes skins were just palette changes, or maybe small geometry tweaks on the model at most.

Oh yeah, my question! How do you guys feel about "costume change" skins. Maybe not so much entire sweeping thematic shifts, but maybe just s different treatment of basic look, outfit or armor. Being on the skins team off and on, I really love taking our characters to the nines. One things I've noticed is that sometimes, depending on the champion, some champions can accommodate really incredible and compelling themes, or have real estate for a lot of visual change, and have huge opportunities for particle changes or custom animations, etc, However, sometimes i feel some can't, that's opinion though. Also, sometimes I feel as though champions might just need what basically comes down to a "costume change" to give some new flavor, or something simple and novel. It's a not the greatest term, but I can't really think of something better to use to refer to something that sort of, at most, geometry changes and maybe minor tweaks in other areas.

What are some thoughts on this? This is entirely a curiosity of mine, and this is no promise of any such content, but I'm always looking for opportunities to bring interesting content to players, and I'm wondering if maybe a "lower" tier of what I've described above is of interest.

AGAIN! This is no commitment to features, I just genuinely am interested in feelings about this stuff. I have no idea nor any opinion on pricing or any of that, I'm interested in what sort of themes are appropriate, what scope such skins might encompass, and what players feel about what equates to possibly a less packed piece of content than the current lot of skins in terms of VFX, animation and other features.

So, whaddaya think?
    </td></tr></table>
  • I am interested in feedback on this. No promises, just some thoughts.

Original thought here:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2944229
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Mappy4ever View Post
    Do you think particle re colour could possibly fall into this category? I mean lets say (this woudl not work but just for the sake of example) you recolored son to pink, possiy purple same particles will work better than current white ones or this would b too much?
    </td></tr></table>
    Interesting... so like, hue-shifting Leona's VFX to blue or something?
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by crzymdscntst View Post
    As a low tier skin... it would be snazzy. Blue Leona would be kinda neat actually.

You'd have to do at least one for each champion in retrospect though. Leona is an easy one given she's all YELLOW EVERYWHERE. And that Yellow can be more easily shifted up or down a notch.

Essentially, turn Leona's VFX brown or something and you suddenly get complaints about visibility.

Red, Blue and Yellow are the basics, but go onto popular colors and you might see Green, Orange, Purple and Pink. Green or Pink shifted Taric for example would cause rage because of his current skins though.

Likewise, should you just invert the color schemes, well, it causes eyesore colors sometimes, but a negative Lux would look really cool and that Lazor would look sorta like a negative-space effect.

In other notes. Black Hole Leona? Can we see this anytime?
    </td></tr></table>
    The Leona thing was just a cheap example. We wouldn't want to introduce any changes that break anything.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    @Ironstylus: Are you talking about a simple recolor with some modifications, like this? It was super easy to recolor the particles and to modify Diana's armor, so something like that would probably be cheap.
    </td></tr></table>
    Yes and no. This is literally just a color swap. In my mind it'd, yes, be changing colors, but be changing geometry on the model itself. Our older skins pretty much nail it on the head, or what other people have been describing. Skins like Leona's launch skins or the myriad of Garen's skins are good examples.

Not to say that it might not be cool to just have bare color swaps, it's something to look into if there is indeed value in that.