Is Diana evil? More stories pls.

• From her lore she sounds more like a victim then a villain. She is kinda dark and very vindictive but i don't think she is evil. Leona on the other hand protects the people who tried to kill Diana for not believing in what they believed. I need more LoL lore man....i like the lores.
  • I love everything going on in this thread =)
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Ansaa View Post
    ...they're far too different to like each other.
    </td></tr></table>
    Or! They're more alike than they realize
  • Lots of fun stuff in here, some of it right along the lines of what we were thinking about when we developed Diana, some other things that have given me pause which I hadn't thought of before.

This is all open to individual interpretation, but myself, I do not see Diana as inherently evil. I see her as someone who was pure and whole, who has since collapsed in upon themselves to become the nihilist. To me, Diana is the absence, that's the compelling thing about her. It is not necessarily the strength of her convictions as it is her utter lack of consideration or regard since surrendering the better part of herself.

Leona is full, Diana is empty. That emptiness however is a force nonetheless. Leona is the fertile and the light, Diana is a desolate and the dark. She is the vacuum. A vacuum can still kill you. She is exerting a pull where Leona is forcing a push. In that they a complimentary. Diana is doubt, while Leona is faith, and trust. For Leona, Diana represents the direct insertion of that doubt into her world. Despite Diana becoming what Leona abhors, a taker of life, Leona isn't stupid. Being presented with a force given form that is directly conflicting with her beliefs she would have to question as to whether she has the whole story. Meanwhile, as Leona's unwavering faith falters, Diana has hit such a depth of nothingness that she is left with a completely perverted certainty. Leona's world is shattered, Diana's becomes concrete. Maybe Diana was willing to embrace shades of grey before, but not any more.

This isn't to say she doesn't believe in some sort of balance, or that the convictions she has inside her do not aim to restore some sort of equilibrium. But I believe that this is mainly a story about her, not the power which she has embraced. I feel that she has been so hurt, she has endured so much needless suffering, that she has gone to the very limit that any rational human can handle in the face of irrationality that there is nothing left for her to do but to collapse, to succumb and to let something otherworldly take her. She is the sane voice in a world of insanity, finally facing that inevitability, with that amount of blind objective reality being forced upon her, she has no choice but to give in finally.

As some have mentioned some of this is parallel to what Leona faced. Leona makes a choice, during the time she is most vulnerable a higher power steps in. Diana also makes a choice, but she relents, she despairs, becomes vulnerable and the higher power intercedes. Unlike Leona however, Diana is not really lifted up, she is dragged down. As the saying goes, the way out is through.

With Leona, she has to face death, face the abyss, but not fall in. She is saved before she parishes. Her conviction makes this so. Diana too must face death, look into the abyss, but must fall. That choice to let go is what facilitates her ascendancy. Reverse that now, to "present day" Leona must now face having to let go while Diana is now burning with conviction.

Also, when I speak of conviction, I do not necessarily mean that she is doctrinally driven. I feel that Diana has gone fully hyperbolic. What she feels is not rational. That's the kicker, she used to be so. She is the embodiment of what has literally been scorned or ignored and has something to say about it. This is her upswing coming from the depths. This is the pendulum swinging way too far. This is the overcompensation for her own personal saga and the disposition of the power inside her. She is the power personified, but that power is not looking for balance, not right at this moment.

There's a common thing we latched onto when developing her, and it was the Darth Vader arc. The way I look at it, Vader is not evil, he is also a nihilist. He is not driven by political power, or ideology, or military might. His argument basically boils down to; The power of the Dark Side is too great, resisting it is futile. If you are in my way, you will die by my hands and I will speak not a word of it aside from what a pitiful fool you are for getting in the way of something far beyond you.

That's my feeling at least, and that's how I feel about Diana and Leona actually. Anakin Skywalker had to succumb. He had to give in, and by doing so he was carried along by a torrent of which he saw no salvation from, nor any way out for someone standing on front of it. Even with his own son, his feeling is as I said, take my hand and stand with me, admit to the power, let it take hold of you, or die. It doesn't really matter in the end. Vader has no love lost for his son, someone he should love.

Diana feels similar I think. Despite any feelings that may be present, she has to give the same ultimatum to someone who she cares for, someone that stands in the way of a power which supersedes anything Diana might feel outside of its torrent.

Is Diana evil? She may be now. But she also might be nothing. I choose to see this story as not one of good and evil, but of full and empty. How full or how empty Leona or Diana are at the various points of their story mirror each other. Who will end up being full, and who will end up being left with nothing? What will full mean? Is there a balance that can be sought?

We'll just have to wait and see..

=)
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Rooster Raiden View Post
    How about you guys actually invest in Lore IronStylus?

I know it doesn't make you guys money and that's really all most of Riot cares about, but to be honest, there's a lot more to it than I think meets the eye.

You guys should really revamp Lore we've been asking for it for quite some time.
    </td></tr></table>
    Well, I think those investments are being made, but like I always say, it takes time to see real change.

Until then, I'll do my best to give insight where I can, I hope that at least helps
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotBuzzJack View Post
    Ironstylus, how active is the lore team on their respective forum? Because there's many discussions we would love to have with them, such as the conflict between Ionia and its dark side (ie: Varus, Zed).
    </td></tr></table>
    They've got their hands full with the aforementioned investment, but I think fairly active.

Runaan and Harrow like to get all up in there. I work with them a lot.

...I have a feeling you might see me take up a nest in there as well relatively soon.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArmySquirrel View Post
    Snip!
    </td></tr></table>
    I really love this, and I also really like what Harvester said. I do think it nails on the head what I think Diana was before her transformation. She was a pure soul who wanted nothing more than the love of her peers, yet at every turn she was stuck down. I know it might seem unrealistic for a nice person to be shunned every time she spoke up, but I feel that if the Solari are as doctrinal as I suspect, her fluidity would have been seen, at the very least, odd, and at the very most the stuff of heresy. Again, this is hyperbolic and irrational. But that's what drama is of course

Diana being an extrovert before her ascendancy and someone who's genuinely good, maybe of a similar disposition of Leona, makes it even more tragic when she is met by an unjustified sentencing to execution. This is a farthest and most intense extrapolation any story can have with someone just starting out as inquisitive and innocent, a society bearing down on them for no rational reason due to doctrine or ignorance.

Diana is the tragedy that no good deed goes unpunished. At the end, we have to feel for her. I think most of us have grown up to see at least some of what Diana goes through play out. I myself felt ostracized at times when growing up. We've felt peer pressure and felt like we haven't fit in all the time. We've felt rebellious and maybe bitter when all we want is to feel acceptance. In the worst case scenarios we may lash out or hurt others, maybe ourselves. While not everyone is going to bring the situation to such lengths, I think many people of this generation know their fair share of personal social injustice at some level. That's a theme we wanted to capture, to make it relatable.

I think what Harvester said is important too. She has found new purpose, and new convictions, but its not necessarily something out of a book, it's a power she has been granted, a price she's paid for immense power. She is reinvigorated this way, regardless of losing herself or not.

I'm glad you guys are compelled by this story. If I had my druthers I'd like to continue this storyline. I see some opportunities actually to do that, it's just going to be a matter of time
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
    If I had read this description of the vibe you wanted to give future champion, I'd think you would end up with an angsty teenager. I do not mean this as disrespect towards you, but instead I want to show it as further proof of how stellar Diana's finished version is. Truly, a terrific job and I hope to see more champions with as much love and passion in the future.
    </td></tr></table>
    The next champion that has my fingerprints on it I hope will have as much depth as Diana. The Diana/Leona arc is hard to match sometimes because its sort of an Olympian conflict between characters that are near godlike. The next character you'll see from the Diana team (myself, Volty and Runaan) will be a bit more humble most likely, but have depth nonetheless, but in a different way, probably more subtle.

What I very much like to do is to tie characters into other characters. Whether its a direct relationship, being of a same faction, or being an adversary or ally. Also, if you haven't noticed, I'm all about build-up

I think build-up and setting intrigue for players helps with the immersive experience. It's not going to appeal to everyone, especially considering I can translate the little things I do into a lot of different languages, but I like to provide immersion where I can, and I hope people join in.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nightman007 View Post
    man screw all that noise, i just wanna know if Leona and Diana were really lovers when Diana was still a member of the solari ( no im not some perv making this up, there is some text in lore that hint to this)
    </td></tr></table>
    There is indeed reason for you suspect something of the like. If not directly, some connection, possibly unrequited from one side.

Again, tragedy!
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by krimsonKasper View Post
    Get OhMikegoodness to animate it, and you're going to swoon me off my feet.
    </td></tr></table>