What Makes a Jungler a Jungler to Riot?

  • Lately Riot has been sticking most of their new champions in the jungle (Vi, Elise, Zed) but none of them are really made for the jungle. I think the last champion that was actually made to go into the jungle and not a lane was Skarner; and since him, every "jungler" Riot has released has been simply tossed into top or mid lane because they are more useful there (Rengar, Diana, Kha'zix). Is Riot just missing the mark on trying to make a viable jungler or are they simply trying to give junglers more options?
  • Hecarim, Nautilus, Sejuani, Shyvana all belie your statement.

    As to making champions "for the jungle", I am not sure why a designer would even accept that as a goal. Champions that can function in multiple game roles are healthier champions, since more people can access them and explore their abilities in a variety of contexts.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by GlavTech View Post
    Warwick was clearly designed as a jungler. As was nocturne.
    </td></tr></table>
    And yet both are completely viable in lane. The OP seems to be suggesting that a champion "for the jungle" is one that cannot be played effectively outside of the jungle.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by GlavTech View Post
    What about the inverse of your idea?

    Why exactly haven't champions been made for jungle, but champions have been made for top (and are explicitly viable in top)?
    </td></tr></table>
    Can you give examples?
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Crowcide View Post
    I have never seen a lane Nocture at high level play. I haven't seen a lane WW at high level play in years. Seems like a pretty unfounded statement.
    </td></tr></table>
    Two teams ran Nocturne mid this month at the OGN winter championships.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Alphazonex View Post
    You say this. But what about champions like Lulu/Soraka? They were able to function in solo lanes, yet they were purposely nerfed for those reasons. Lulu especially.
    </td></tr></table>
    This is a very good point. I'd contend that on-hit Lulu is still viable outside of the LAN setting. Malady really helps her.

    It's unfortunate that these two champions have kits which make balancing them as solo laners a real challenge. However, when AP Lulu and Soraka can lane effectively, they pretty much ruin the experience of whoever they are fighting.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by GlavTech View Post
    I would say Akali, but she's a viable midlane, so I won't.

    Garen is the first champion that comes to mind as a top that can't viably jungle.

    Renekton is another.
    </td></tr></table>
    The question isn't what top lane champion cannot jungle it is what top lane champion can only go top. Garen is pretty good in duo kill lanes, for example. I'm pretty sure Renekton can do some nasty things in midlane. He has great wave clear, can roam from some interesting angles, let's the jungler take multiple blues and supports ganks very well.

    As to the jungle specifically, Garen's recent mini re-work made it an explicit goal to give him jungle viability. Renekton, I hear you on, he's not incapable of jungling, but the fury system is inherently difficult to make work when ganking.

    Regardless, I don't think it was ever a goal of these champions' designers to exclude them from other game roles. In fact, when Garen was made, there wasn't even a "top lane" as we now think of it.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by tuskyraider View Post
    link pl0x.
    </td></tr></table>
    Video
    Summary

    Video
    Summary
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Rex Draconem View Post
    I think the question is, what attributes does a champion need to have to be given the jungler tag.

    like the difference between hecarim and malphite where hecarim has the jungler tag and malpgite doesn't.
    </td></tr></table>

    Good question. My understanding is that our tagging system is designed to guide newer players. Champions receive a "Jungler" tag so that if you want to try them, but have no idea what they do, you can get an idea of where they work, and what runes/masteries to use, by looking at the tag. Additionally, if a newer player wants to jungle, they can look for champions with the Jungler tag and enter the game confident that they won't die to wolves.

    So while AD Malzahar may be a viable jungler, we would never give him that tag, because it takes a fairly sophisticated level 30 player to pull it off.

    As to Malphite specifically, I think he would be a fine champion for a newer player to pick up. That is possibly just an oversight.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Bacur View Post
    Staying absolutely on topic: Why u ignore jungle gold starvation topics like the problem does not exist?
    </td></tr></table>
    Because it is not my area of expertise. I can say that Statikk is still iterating on the jungle. Remember, this is the pre-season for a reason: the game is in a huge state of flux that will hopefully make it much more dynamic and interesting. If any Rioter promised you it would be perfect on release or that there would not be hiccups along the way, please direct them to me ;-)