Future Feature Discussion: Loss of Control Indicators

• Hello Summoners,

I'm Xelnath, game systems designer for Riot Games. In a nutshell, I focus on improving systems with a broad impact across all of league of legends, rather than champion or item specific issues. My team improved skill-shot rendering from fog-of-war, added recall and ward icons to the minimap and allowed you to silence players who spam emotes.

Now we're looking further into HUD and UI improvements to better indicate that you are stunned, silenced, feared, rooted, etc.

I'd love to hear your opinions and ideas to improve this feature.

Questions:
    • What information would you like about control impairing effects in League?
    • What information do you feel is the most important to convey?
    • The least?
    • How would you like this information conveyed?
    • Where would you like it to be conveyed?

"Change is good." - Kha'zix
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by I Be Voidz View Post
    How about make the screen flash when you are CC'd?

Different colors for different types.

Like yellow for stun, blue for snare, etc.
    </td></tr></table>
    Something sort of like this? (image is rough)
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by I Be Voidz View Post
    How about make the screen flash when you are CC'd?

Different colors for different types.

Like yellow for stun, blue for snare, etc.
    </td></tr></table>
    Something like this? (image is rough)

Image removed due to its file extension: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=586758&thumb=1&d=1357319319
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheMasterZails View Post
    Can you make it an option. I would rather not have my screen flashing the whole time we team fight. I would rather be able to read it in a combat log or something. or like others said just make your champ/teammate change colors. or the options to choose one or all of these options.

Another idea would be sound ques. Such as a small sound for each type of cc on you.
    </td></tr></table>
    I think an option is a great idea.

About the sound effects, how do you feel about the in-game sound FX when your champion is hit with say, Sion's stun?
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dear Ofelia View Post
    My question is: Why can't purple have the same view like the Blue side?

Is it really that hard to flip the map around for the other side to view?
    Purple ends up with a HUGE disadvantage in my eyes. I mean, the first time I played on the purple side, I did HORRIBLY because I didn't know how limited the vision was on it.
    </td></tr></table>
    I am open to discussing this in the future, but let's stay on topic for this thread.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by lolfetus View Post
    Heyo Xelnath, I have often entertained the idea of having some sort of CC-widget. Something like four differently colored spheres that light up in accordance to their respective forms of crowd control. Perhaps this could be built into the center console to allow for a quick assessment of all concurrent CC's.
    </td></tr></table>
    I like the idea of having a custom display. That said, isn't it a bit difficult to look at your hud during an intense team fight?
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strados View Post
    BTW i have a question, maybe not related enough but i think it's your department maybe. It's about the pickpocket masterie. Can we get an icon or something, like a counter about how much money we make from it? since there's already a counter for other sources of gold (gp10, parrley, and such) it could be interesting to see the amount we make from it.
    thx for your hard work
    </td></tr></table>

This is coming in the very next patch, you can thank FeralPony for that.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by WarlordAlpha View Post
    Another big problem: CC terminology and consistency. The big issue I've seen here is the difference between a root and a snare. Is there even a difference? If not, can we just stop using the term root and update all the relevant tooltips to say snare?
    </td></tr></table>
    Terminology is really important to me. It helps communicate ideas consistently. Here's the history:

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;"> Originally, Ryze's "Cage" was called a Snare. This conflicted in player minds with Movement Reduction effects in WoW which are traditionally called Snares.

Snares and Slows had a conflict with each other, in that they are conceptually similar. Originally, Slows had *both* movement and attack speed reductions.

Then Amumu ult came out, which was considered a "Net" effect. Net effects were both movement impairment and auto-attack disabling.

Net was confusing to people, because the Amumu visual wasn't as clear as we would have preferred. So it was relabeled as a "Root".

Then along came Maokai, whose W is a dash with a movement impairment. This ability made sense to be called a "Root", but didn't include the auto-attack prevention.

Finally, we added Rengar's E, which is a net gun, that snares, but during Ferocity becomes a movement prevention effect. </td></tr></table>
    ... so that's pretty confusing. Now that we've decided to clean up terminology, here's what we're considering moving towards:

Rooted - cannot move.
    Stunned - cannot act.
    Silenced - cannot use abilities.
    Disarmed - cannot use auto-attacks.
    Suppressed - cannot act + cannot use summoner skills.

Slow - movement speed reductions.
    Fear - cannot act, movement uncontrollable.
    Taunts - cannot act, forced to attack the taunter.
    Charm - cannot act, movement towards the charmer.
    Blind - auto attacks always miss.

That said, the Disables we would likely show via UI are:

Hard CC: Suppression, Stun, Fear, Taunt, Charm
    Can't Cast: Silence
    Can't Move: Rooted
    Can't Attack: Disarmed

Meaning that "soft" CC, such as movement and attack speed slows, are excluded.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morgageddon View Post
    1: Impairing effects, to a new player, will be hard to understand. Not many would easily know the duration of a Morgana snare versus a Riven stun. I would personally like to see something visual in terms of text and timing regarding each.

Case in point...
    If you are snared, I would love to see a visual indicator in words much like the different damage types receiving different colored text. Also, along the bottom of your screen, I would like to see something akin to a progress bar (I shall use the capping example from Dominion). As you are stunned, the word *STUNNED* should pop up, along with the progress bar, which takes into account your tenacity and will complete once the stun duration on your champion is completed. Should you have multiple impairments, you could just stack vertically in the down direction different effects.

Any thoughts anyone?
    </td></tr></table>
    I like this direction. I wonder if we still need the text if we come up with something else that's universally recognizable.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Litose View Post
    is that working in all servers? pretty sure i had a game where a guy spammed the /j all game (was an aram match)....and pretty much everyone just gave up playing cause it was really annoying and it didnt stop even after muting the guy...(was on the br server)...and that was like last week....
    </td></tr></table>
    This is coming out in the next patch, along with the ward icons. Rayanami worked on it.