Preseason Three Digi-Art Throwdown Contest

• The preseason is underway, and with everything that’s on the line in Season Three, the champions of the League are stepping up their training regimens. With all the new items in the shop, they’ve got a whole new arsenal to try out.

Of course, an epic battle on the Field of Justice isn’t the only showdown going on this preseason. In the spirit of competition, we’re also challenging you awesome fan artists to create a picture of your favorite champion preparing for Season Three and enter it in the Preseason Three Digi-Art Throwdown. And to give you the proper incentive to start furiously scribbling with your stylus, we’ve picked up some pretty epic prizes from our friends over at Wacom.

Contest Rules
    • You must include at least one champion and one new Season Three item: we’re looking for the latest trends in champion conditioning, so you need to showcase the new stuff
    • Your masterpiece must be appropriate for summoners of all ages: we’re teen rated, so nothing too risqué; if you think Draven practices through mass-execution, go ahead and keep that to yourself
    • Your entry can’t include any logos or product names or placements: these are what we like to call a “legal hassle,” and we don’t keep enough lawyers on retainer to obtain permission to plug your favorite soda on our website
    • Your entry must be made by you, submitted by you, and made for this contest: we don’t care if your friend Leo Da Vinci painted you the Sona Lisa, this contest is about YOU showing of YOUR artistic potential within the stipulated timeframe
    • You need to submit your entry on time: sorry if you have a tendency to oversleep, but this contest is for LoL players with accurate watches

Technical Requirements
    • Your submission needs to be 300 dpi (one dimensional), at least 3000 pixels in either height or width, and exported at a quality setting of 8 or higher: if we want to hang these on the wall, they should still be beautiful when we blow them up
    • You need to submit in .jpg format: you’re not going to win any prizes if we can’t open your entry, so for the sake of simplicity just stick to submitting .jpgs
    • Hang onto your full-size, highest-res, highest-detail picture: we may contact you to get ahold of your most epic rendering so that it can be properly preserved and displayed.

As always, these rules are in addition to all the contest commandments set down by Legal in our Official Rules and Contest FAQ, so be sure to review those before you submit. We mentioned awesome Wacom tablets, so here are the full details on the prizes you can win this contest:

Two grand prize winners will receive:
    • A Wacom Cintiq 22HD pen display
    • 15,000 RP

Five runner-up winners will receive:
    • A Wacom Cintiq 12WX pen display
    • 10,000 RP

Ten honorable mention winners will receive:
    • A Wacom Intuos 5 Small
    • 8,000 RP

Every winner will also receive a League of Legends drawstring bag containing:
    • A Riot Games artist smudge guard glove
    • A Teemo hat
    • A Baron Nashor t-shirt
    • A Quintessence lapel pin
    • A Rammus “OK” League of Legends wristband
    • A League of Legends Lanyard
    • A “Bananas OP” foam banana

That’s right! If a small fortune in RP and a badass tablet aren’t enough to convince you to get your art on, we’re even throwing in a Teemo hat. The contest starts now, and runs through 11:59 PM on February 8, so be sure to have your submissions ready by then.

When your masterpiece is complete, head on over and fill out the submission form. We can’t wait to see how your champion’s training this preseason!
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Hagun744 View Post
    Are we allowed to submit 2 pieces? I am thinking of doing a custom design for my favourite champ that is not in game (skin idea wise) and a normal piece with a current skin.
    </td></tr></table>
    Yes, absolutely. You may submit more than one entry, but ultimately you can only win for one. For that reason, I would highly recommend you spend time polishing one entry as your winner, but if you have time the contest is running for a whole month. There's time to do amazing things!

As an additional resource, you should also check out the new contest FAQ btw.
    http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2992680
  • Hey all,

In the interest of helping clear up any misconceptions beforehand, let me provide some additional context on the contest requirements and what you can expect in the judging process.

The "Contest Rules" in the first post of this thread are all of equal weight. Just because the first rule is a requirement that you must include Season 3 items, does not mean S3 items must be the one and only centerpiece of your entry. Yes, it is equally important to us that you make your entry 100% appropriate for all ages, as it is that you include a season three item, and show champions training or preparing for Season 3 in some visible way. As long as these details are included, your entry is "eligible". This does not mean that if you stuff every single item in LoL somewhere in the piece that it will increase your chances. Remember, this is an art contest! Layout and artistic vision will matter just as much in the end.

In the new contest FAQ, you'll also find additional detail on what kinds of questions we ask ourselves about each entry in the sorting process. I hope this provides additional direction when you are double checking your entry for quality in the creation process.

Good luck to everyone involved! I can't wait to see all the amazing art
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by LunarXIII View Post
    Can we express artistic freedom on designing some of the weapons? I plan on using the Blade of the Ruined King but only the hilt of the art is shown :{ I'm free to design it base on my imagination right ?
    </td></tr></table>
    Yes, definitely. Do make sure a random LoL player would still be able to identify it as that item though!

For example, in the case of the new item "Twin Shadows", I couldn't quite tell what this item is. After asking around in the design department, I learned it's actually supposed to be a little wraith wearing a collar. If you look at the icon while tilting your head to the right, you'll see the resemblance of a ghostly character with glowing eyes and a collar on. It's quite fun to think of how this might be fleshed out in 3d form. I'd imagine a cute glowing wraith doll with a collar.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Resther View Post
    Not mine. I've owned a Wacom Tablet and hated it. Couldn't do anything with it. I'll be sticking to good, old, trusty Pencils and Paper for my artwork.

I'll definitely be entering this contest though. I've recently noticed a dramatic improvement in my artwork, so I'll be trying my hand at a contest finally. And on topof that, I've been dying to do artwork of Elise, so now I have even more of a reason to do so !
    </td></tr></table>
    Do note that the grand prize is actually a giant backlit HD tablet that you can draw directly on. It's a very different experience than using a small wacom

I'm excited to see what you come up with I haven't seen too much Elise fan art yet myself.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Does "preparing for Season 3" mean the champions can be depicted in an epic battle? Or do you want pictures like them sharpening weapons, coming up with strategies, putting on armor, etc.?

Also, is the champion Thresh or any content that is released on PBE that happens to not be released by February 8th eligible for being included in the artwork?
    </td></tr></table>
    In terms of preparing for Season 3, we want you to show us *how* they prepare for battle. How do they sharpen their skills, recharge their magic, or whatever it is? Does Rammus sharpen his spikes? Did he amass a collection of spiky shells to use throughout the season? A champion in simply any battle situation isn't quite what we're looking for.

Yes to your PBE question.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ankokukai View Post
    Once again, like every single time, Riot leaves any non-digital artist out of their drawing contests

WHEN will we get a "DRAW ON PAPER AND JUST SCAN IT" contest?

i respect digital artists, their work is awesome, but i'd really like some contests for old-school artists that can created equally awesome pieces of epicness...on paper, with a simple pencil
    </td></tr></table>
    This is the first digital-only art contest we've ever run, and we're upping the prizing to be especially appealing for a digital artist. That doesn't mean we don't have plans to do another all-inclusive art contest again one day!

One of the major problems with doing a "scan it in" sort of contest is that about 90% of every hand-drawn submission we've received that is scanner quality lost a TON of detail in the process, leaving the lighting and colors looking very bland or even difficult to see. Still, handmade creations are awesome and we have plans to do more!
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Miss Pigeon View Post
    Does the "preparing for Season 3" method have to be a serious one or can it be a funny/joke one?
    </td></tr></table>
    Humor is certainly welcome, but any humor that displays or accentuates negative in-game behavior is discouraged.

@dreampod I included a section in the FAQ detailing the judging process and exactly what we will be looking for in an entry. If you have additional questions, I recommend looking there. The link is in the OP.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by vanderbolt View Post
    I use sketchbook express and It does not have a pixel count. What should I do?
    </td></tr></table>
    I was able to find a guide on setting your canvas size in sketchbook express via google search. It says to go to Image > Canvas Size and then a menu allows you to select the exact dimensions

@Kreyni no, it doesn't have to necessarily be a good in-game strategic choice. The season 3 items you decide to use don't even need to be equipped by a champion in order to make your entry eligible.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daeron07 View Post
    Can we interpret the items to how we see fit? as in let's say Taric's Shield becomes engraved with runes for Runic Bulwark, but it's still his "shield"? an ourtageous shield with gems and stuff? Or Spirit of the Ancient golem to be a gem and blue-ish glow or do we HAVE to break a champion's design to incorporate the items? I already have some ideas D:
    </td></tr></table>
    I feel like I've stated this a few times, but again:
    1. You may interpret and detail the visual representation of new S3 items as you like
    2. The requirement is that you MUST include (make visible) at least one champion, and one new Season 3 item. The champion must be preparing for Season 3, or training in some way that is obvious to the audience. We didn't say the item(s) must be equipped to a champion, or that it has to be the centerpiece of your art