Preseason Three Digi-Art Throwdown Contest FAQ

• Digital Art Contest FAQ

How will winners be picked?

After being screened for eligibility and meeting the basic requirements, each entry will be judged based on three categories: Quality, Content, and Impact. Throughout the sorting and final judging process, we will be asking ourselves these kinds of questions:

• Quality: How detailed is the submission? How high-quality is the rendering? Does the submission make great use of lighting and color, and present them with clarity? What additional interactions or details can be found within the artwork?
    • Content: Are the characters portrayed in a clever or creative way? How are the S3 items incorporated into the piece? What makes this piece stand out among others in terms of the content itself?
    • Impact: Does this piece leave a lasting impression on the viewer? Are the themes presented appropriate for an audience of all ages? Does this piece accomplish the goal of showing champions truly “training” for Season 3, or does it require explanation to be understood?

After the sorting process is finished, a panel of Riot artists will sit down for an in-person judging meeting to narrow down the finalists and choose our winners.

How will I be notified if I win?
    We’ll contact the winners via the email address provided when entering the contest. If you made an error and submitted your entry with an incorrect email address, resubmit your entire entry with the correct address.

I made a mistake in my entry, or decided to update the artwork with even more detail! Can I reenter?
    Yes! Feel free to resubmit your entry if you made errors or need to update us with the latest version.

Am I required to use a set dimension for my entry?
    No. You can create your entries in a portrait, landscape orientation, or whatever else suits your fancy! As an absolute minimum, please do not reduce the width or height of your piece to less than 500px (1:6 ratio).

How do I save my entry in the required format before I submit it?

1) First, save the original copy of your artwork in its original format
    2) In Photoshop (slight software differences depending on the application), go to Image > Image Size
    3) Adjust the height or width of your artwork to 3000 pixels and make sure the constrain proportions box is checked, or the chain link is connected.
    4) Then, go to File > Save As and change the file format to JPEG in the dropdown menu.
    5) For convenience, please name the file with your summoner name and region.

Do items that have been radically changed from Season 2 to Season 3 count as “Season 3 items”?
    No. Only items under "New Items" at our preseason site will count under making your entry meet the requirements.
    http://competitive.na.leagueoflegend...reseason/items

What do you mean by portraying a champion “training” for season 3?
    We want you to show us how your favorite champions are preparing for competing in the new season. How did Dr. Mundo get so strong? Where do Teemo’s mushrooms come from? It’s up to you to show us your creativity in a meaningful way!

If I scan in my traditional art, can it still be eligible for the contest?
    As long as your art is two-dimensional and fits the technical requirements, your entry will still be eligible. However, we’ll judge your artwork with by the standards we set for all of the other digital art we receive. In many cases, scanned or photographed artwork loses a great deal of quality in the process and needs to be touched up or enhanced digitally to look presentable. If this is your preferred method of creating art, we encourage you to hone your skills at finishing your piece digitally before sending it to us!

• I'd be happy to answer additional questions via twitter and the forum threads themselves. Using #DigiArtFAQ for replies!
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Machote View Post
    It is a EU contest only? or NA included?
    </td></tr></table>
    This is a global contest. Including China, and Garena territories as well.
  • @Ballv I will ask a Chinese speaking staff member to address your questions ASAP. Thanks!
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Crobot View Post
    I use vector as a medium for most of my artwork. I'm not talking about tracing over anime with the pen tool in illustrator, I'm talking actually DRAWING with vectors. The problem is, I really want to enter this contest, however, JPEGs and vectors dont like each other.

Vector art's smooth quality tends to get slightly distorted or cloudy by being converted into jpeg format. Is there no way I can submit my art in PNG format and have it counted?
    </td></tr></table>
    You make an interesting point. We plan on using jpg files only in the reviewing process (we need the full size file upon winning)! If it's that big a quality shift, send in your entry twice. In your first entry, submit with JPG, and leave a comment that you also submitted a PNG for better viewing. Second submission will go to the blocked category by default, but we'll be able to look it up in the system if you've piqued our interest
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skodak View Post
    While I don't intend to participate, I'm a little confused about something. In your other thread (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2992924) you state:
    However, on the official rules page (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/presea...-contest-rules), it says that the honorable mention winners will receive a Wacom Intuos5 Small.

Just want a little clarification as to which statement is accurate.
    </td></tr></table>
    My apologies, the correct prize would be the Wacom Intuos5 Small. :O
    (I hear from a few artist friends, that it's the better product anyway ^_^)
  • @BallV - I got a reply for you

BaIIV 谢谢你的问题。
    1.主题:这次的主题是展现你们在第三赛季开始前是如何刻苦训练的,所以可以是多个英雄,多个道具,但最少 要有一件这次第三赛季修改所增加的新道具。形式的话就是电子绘图。

2.作品缴交:档案名称是召唤师名称-地区。在作品之外没有其他的要求,如果你有一些附加的备注,可以放在提交网站的备注/评论区域。如果你有获奖,我们的工作人员会再通过电子邮件的方式联系你,获取你的原始文件。

3.截稿日期是2月8日11:50pm美国西部时间。
    另外一些具体的信息你可以在新闻链接(http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/p...21040;。
    希望这些回答了你的问题。
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by DesignerGeorge View Post
    I have a question with "Spirit of the Ancient Golem". Is the item a blue fist with a blue metal sheet and a sapphire or just the metal sheet and the jewel without the fist? I really REALLY need to know because this item can fit perfect with my idea.

Another question, can we draw champions with our skin concepts? Like we say in our country, to kill 2 birds with a shot. Or we need to draw them with classic skin?

P.S. sorry for my bad english.
    </td></tr></table>
    I don't think we're entirely sure exactly what Spirit of the Ancient Golem looks like and is made of in the physical world! That is up to you to depict, and you're welcome to use your artistic freedom with that

Yes, you're free to depict champions wearing modified costumes, and even completely new themed skins if you wish. We have no requirements on that.

Sorry for the response time--I couldn't log into the forums over the weekend! I'll always be faster to reach via twitter.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onlypixel View Post
    Can software such as Maya and Zbrush be used in the contest.
    </td></tr></table>
    We have not placed any restrictions on the software you choose to use in creating your submission. Just make sure you meet the requirements and rules, and you're all set

Don't assume we restricted something if it's not written anywhere in the rules!
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by BumboKlawt View Post
    I would like to incorporate two S3 items into my entry but, for one particular item (i.e. the Runic Bulwark), there seems to be a symbol of some sort in the centre of it. The 64x64 pixel image of it isn't big enough to define just what that symbol is.

So my question is. Can you provide us with bigger or more defined images of the S3 items?
    </td></tr></table>
    That's truly the only artwork there is of the item right now :P
    Come up with something and imagine what it would be like in full detail! You've got quite a bit of artistic freedom here