Riot - Please Respond regarding AUSTRALIAN / OCEANIC Server

• Riot Games,

Please advise the status of an Australia / Oceanic based server for League of Legends.

-------------

Mission Accomplished!

Oceanic Welcome Thread here!

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by MasterMirkinen View Post
    Summoners,

It is with great pleasure that I announce you that League of Legends is now available down under with the beta launch of the Oceanic server. Players will have English-language support, local servers and a dedicated Oceania website.

Starting today, you can join the Oceanic beta by transferring from NA, LATAM, Russia, Turkey, EUNE and EUW. This transfer is free for a limited time. Early transfers earn exclusive rewards including Ziggs and Pool Party Ziggs and enjoy a 100% IP and XP boost for all players until after the beta is over!

Claim your free OCE transfer token by heading to the in-game store and clicking on the Other tab. Secure your summoner name on the new server by transferring today!

We’re also celebrating the launch with an online tournament from July 6 to July 14. The tournament’s top four teams will head to PAX Melbourne from July 19-21 to compete for cash prizes. There will be more info soon, so check back for all the details.

For the full scoop on the new server, transfer options, beta limitations and more, check out this FAQ.

Thank you SO much for pushing us in providing a better service to you!
    </td></tr></table>
    It's finally here guys!

Make sure you encourage all the players that you know to transfer as soon as possible. The sooner the server gets loaded with people, the sooner these "beta" tests can be completed and our full server will be up and ready to go!

Spread the word and fill our new great server!

----

Thank you to all of our dedicated Oceanic summoners who kept this thread moving to show how important it was for our region to be able to play with a good ping and to be able to begin competing with the rest of the world!

Kudos mates on a job well done

- Werewolf
    (Wolfie on OCE)
  • Prepare for most disappointing red post!

I just wanted to say I'm ignoring these threads because international server stuff is something I might even know less about than you guys.

I can sniff around, but I'm unlikely to be able to help Sorry!
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by R3dund4ncy View Post
    Regardless of whether you're a troll or an actual Riot worker, this post is just about as informative as Morello's.
    </td></tr></table>
    Sorry, my account was not properly flagged, it is now. I can assure you once we have a solid date for launching any new region it will get announced and you can expect us to deliver.

The simple fact is we do not yet have a date for when this will happen, but there are many of us here interested in seeing the experience being improved there. We hear your pleas.

target1...
  • Bump

We want dedicated Oceanic service and support as much as you guys, and we're working hard behind the scenes to make that happen.

As Zerglinator just noticed, we just opened a couple of positions for Riot Sydney: http://www.riotgames.com/careers?loc...5D=425&search=

If you or someone you know is passionate about community or esports in Oceania, please apply!

That's all I've got for today, but I did want to make sure you know we're listening, we're working, and we'll have more to share soon(TM).
  • Hey guys,

thank you so much for the overwhelming reaction to the Sydney Openings announcement.
    I just wanted to share another piece of information.
    Today we also opened 2 jobs based out of Sydney in the Technical Operation department.
    You can find them here: http://www.riotgames.com/careers?loc...5D=425&search=

I also wanted to clarify couple of things:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erased321 View Post
    I just had a quick question - I have a background in IT support (desktop support) - do you have any idea if a similar position will be opened at some stage for the Sydney office?
    I'd love to apply if so.
    </td></tr></table>
    Not sure exactly about your background but we did open 2 new position today with a technical background. You can find then here: http://www.riotgames.com/careers?loc...5D=425&search=
    Stay tuned as we will open more in the next weeks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lagNZ View Post
    if the new region is released, would an account transfer be possible?
    Id hate to have to grind for levels, my champions, runes and buy my skins all over again
    </td></tr></table>
    We are aware that "not losing content you already purchased / unlocked" is something important for you so rest assure we are working on this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunnandahalf View Post
    I wouldn't mind some kind of confirmation that they are releasing servers, and not just an Esports office!
    </td></tr></table>
    We will release servers there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Plazman View Post
    I heard that Australian servers will be available late March, 2013
    </td></tr></table>
    This is not true unfortunately. We are hiring now so it's going to take longer than that to be ready.
  • Hi guys,
    I'm really sorry I cannot give you a better time frame but I promise you that we are working super hard to set up the servers and to find the right people to work in our sydney office (which BTW we opened on Monday in lovely Sydney).

I wanted to share again our Sydney recruiting page: http://www.riotgames.com/careers?loc...5D=425&search=

and as you will see, there are some new positions:

PR and Marketing Manager:
    http://www.riotgames.com/careers/pr-...keting-manager

Front End Web Designer / Developer
    http://www.riotgames.com/careers/fro...ignerdeveloper

We also have 2 position based out of the Santa Monica office for people coming from Oceania but currently living / working in the US.

Oceanic Player Support Lead:
    http://www.riotgames.com/careers/pla...t-lead-oceania

Oceanic Project Manager:
    http://www.riotgames.com/careers/oce...ject-manager-0

As someone else mentioned, we don't reply to all emails (I've screened more than 300 CV since we opened the position).

Again, thank you for your patience, after having played one game today I REALLY feel your pain and we want to fix.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheGamingAussie View Post
    Glad you tried the game out on our ping! Sucks right?! Thanks for the update but no timeframe at all?!?! ;( 3-6 months? 6-12? 12+ ?!?!!
    </td></tr></table>
    The last thing I want to do is telling you guys "this will happen in 6 months" and then for some reason this doesn't happen.
    Not only you guys would be raging (for good reason) but we would look like a company who doesn't deliver our promise.

Does it make sense?
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prince Xorism View Post
    Would be awesome to work for Riot, Perhaps one day I'll apply
    </td></tr></table>
    We're still looking to hire a bunch of people in Sydney
  • Hey guys,

First of all I want to thank Werewolf and Kudos for maintaining this post alive and for trying to keep a positive attitude although they must be as impatient as anyone else.

Second, I have read all your comments and I fully understand your frustration.
    I wanted to give you some update to show you that things are moving and we are not just "saying things" to keep you quiet.

In term of hiring, as some of you mentioned, the interview process is very long in Riot. We want the best for our players but to do that we need to find the best Rioters!
    I've received and screened 665 Curriculum since we open the positions. I think I've interview more than 200 people. Of these 200, few made it to the final stage and we are in a good place for some positions (like eSport, NOC, Network Engineer and System Administrator) and in a "not so good" place for others (like Community, Marketing and Web Developer).
    We keep searching because we know that the Rioter we are looking for is out there but he/she doesn't know it yet.

In term of server setup, still with the purpose of providing the community with the best experience, we evaluated 10 Data Centre. Of these 10, we started talking actively with 6. We asked all of them to perform a test and we shortlisted to 4. After that we asked them to lend us some server to do some testing and only 2 of them were able to do so.
    After that test, we chose one.

From here, I still cannot tell you when the servers will be up and running (because we don't know it yet as we rely on suppliers as well to get our equipments) but at least I hope you guys have a better picture of the progress we have made in these months.

Thank you for your understanding and continuous support.

P.S. for all Sydney people, I recommend attending this MOBAR event: https://www.facebook.com/events/553257121403699/ .. I went last week and was such a great atmosphere!
  • Hey guys,
    some of you have suggested to provide you with a weekly update. I won't promise a weekly update as some weeks I might not have any but I promise to give you more. So here below some more info:

Last week was great from a hiring point of view. We made an offer for the eSport coordinator and he accepted.
    We also are in the process of making 4 offers for technical positions (NOC and OPS).

Moreover, I took some of the question I can answer and try to give you some more info.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by exe3 View Post
    Can you say who you went with? Was it Internode/iiNet?
    </td></tr></table>
    Sorry, we cannot disclose this but I can assure you we tested intensively and we believe that company we have chosen is the best for our needs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by n3phx View Post
    @MasterMirkinen should put a ad on here for those "not so good" http://whirlpool.net.au/
    </td></tr></table>
    Thank you n3phx, I'll definitely add to the list of website we advertise.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EFG View Post
    While thats promising there are some issues that could use some immediate attention. The biggest one being our inability to choose which server group our games are currently assigned to. I get 180ms to LA and 220ms to the other servers (Washington?). Why is there no way for me to stop getting assigned to games on the non-LA servers to avoid the extra latency? While this isn't a long term solution it would ease the pain somewhat until the Australian servers are in place and I'm sure that a lot of north Americans would also appreciate being able to choose the servers closer to them too.
    </td></tr></table>
    We could start working on that but give or take, a project like that would take a month... Would you rather us working on setting up the Oceanic platform or delaying this a month and develop a feature that likely won't be useful in the future?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by combat View Post
    Thank you very much for the update! It is so appreciated. Perhaps you could come in once a week or so to continue to give periodic updates? Thank you very much and we look so forward to the servers.
    </td></tr></table>
    Hey combat, thank you for the suggestion. I won’t commit to a weekly update because some weeks I might not have any update, but I will try to update you guys more often.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yoshiwaan View Post
    As a fellow Sydney ITer, are you allowed to say which DC you picked? I'm interested. It also reads like you're only getting 1 web developer, Sysadmin, Noc technician etc. I would have thought there would be more? Or was it just the wording.
    </td></tr></table>
    Again, I cannot tell you which IDC we chose, but regarding your second question, yes, that was wording. We are hiring more.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NZ Firetruck View Post
    Cool! Thanks for the update MasterMirk, It's nice to be kept abreast of how everything is progressing. I note that you're looking to hire an e-sports director and I have a question regarding e-sports for the Oceanic Region. Are you planning to set up an LCS style league for season 4 if the servers are out in time? Would be really cool to see local players competing in a consistent league. I understand that this might not be a realistic goal, but it's definitely something that would be really cool. Also is it likely that there will be spots for Oceania at season 4 world finals?
    </td></tr></table>
    Hey NZ, eSport plans are not finalized. Our ultimate goal for Oceania is to develop eSport to professional level. This might take some time though as PRO eSport needs to be fostered from the bottom therefore for the first period we will focus on semi-pro organisation development.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoozBear View Post
    Id firstly just like to say thanks for the official response on this thread! Was so stoked when i saw it. Secondly i would like to politely ask if its at all possible for you to tell us if you THINK (not if you know) that the servers will be up in Aus before the end of the year? Having some sort of idea even if its not a official post would be cool. If not at all possible i understand but thanks anyway.
    </td></tr></table>
    For sure before the end of the year.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dàly View Post
    Why is MasterMirkinen so SEXY?
    </td></tr></table>
    This made me smile

Thank you again all for your patience.