SDA runs

• Ok so I was watching the SDA charity marathon and I swear I heard someone say that Riot Ames donated. Just wondering if I was hearing stuff or not.
  • Necro! (Because I can, and I'm doing a rare 'search my own name')

That was me! A lot of us here in the office were watching while we worked. I actually donated a few times. Anything that gets gamers involved with good causes is awesome.

We (gamers) had a bad rep for a long time- now that culture is shifting in our direction more and more, I think it's great for us to set a good example. And even if you don't care about that, it was a ton of entertainment for not really that much spent (in my case).

There's a lot of efforts like this one that go by on these forums - I've participated in a few in one way or another.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Calys Teneb View Post
    Do you do Desert Bus? One of my friends is all over that when they play.
    </td></tr></table>
    Haha, not every time, but I have. The thing that I latched onto the most about the SDA one isn't the speed runs (except Super Monkey Ball, holy), but the commentary along the way.

I also really enjoy the League ones. Most/all of them haven't gotten as big as SDA or Desert Bus, but everything counts.
  • They're not sponsored or anything- people pick a charity, find out how to get donations to them, and then stream themselves or a group of people playing and the proceeds go towards their charity.
  • For League? Certainly not the production levels, commentary, or general time spent on the event. No less awesome though. I think that the diversity of games helped them a lot. I'm a huge Megaman X fan, so some friends saw that was one of the games they'd be playing and clued me in early on.

For League, I think you'd want to look at how streamers become successful and do something similar. GuardsmanBob lured me in with his good attitude and awesome music selection long ago.