Time for an educational Season 3!

• Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Romdeau View Post
    Speaking of which, Morello do you duo with other Rioters in ranked regularly? Or is it just yolo queue?
    </td></tr></table>
    I duo with some IRL friends, but not often with Rioters since I play so much later.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by MagikShot View Post
    Morello, how good is Ezreal and Volty? Is it true Ezreal rarely plays Ezreal?
    </td></tr></table>
    I'm one of the worst-skilled designers at League - Volty and Ezreal are ~1800 last I checked.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dukatenscheisser View Post
    Thanks for explaining that the new system isn't about trying to get better at the game. Just a way for people to fight over who the best player is at their level. No one will know their elo so now 800 elo player instead of trying to raise their skill level and play the game on a higher level can preoccupy themselves with being the best 800 elo scrub. Oh you are 1400 elo bu the bottom of division 1 silver! Well im #1 bronze league of teemos muffintops so there. It's ridiculous just show us our elos or S3 ranked is just normals v2.0
    </td></tr></table>
    This makes no sense (and way to turn a fun thread into a soapbox talk) - only a handful of people get to be the best at the game. I have about 99.9% of a player base who still might something other than winning the finals to shoot for.

From a rewards standpoint, this system is better - even despite some of the concerns you guys saw in the Silver 1 bracket and such, the rewards are not a problem.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackTalonMC View Post
    So how did you get the Diamond S2 Forum Icon? :P
    </td></tr></table>
    TT in S2, but I was gold in 5's and almost gold (blast!) in solo. So this will be below what I've been playing at until I can get out!
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cole Frischhertz View Post
    Ah Morello! I doubt you will actually respond to this but I really have been wanting your answer for a question I have. Do you agree or disagree that if you do good in the match (win lane, ward, play good, have a 2.0 ratio) then you deserve to win the game despite if the rest of your team is doing bad?
    </td></tr></table>
    No, because it's not a solo game. If this were 1v1 Q3 Arena, or SF4, then yeah, you should always win if you outplay a single opponent. I've had at least one game where I had a good lane, but other lanes fed and made us unable to teamfight. My question is "what could have I done better?", even if there were other people who I played better than. For example, in one of my Malzahar games, I dominated the lane, but failed to clear and gank to give other lanes help they'd need - something to remember and learn from for next game.

In football, a Quarterback can throw perfectly and the team can still lose if the line can't keep him safe. This causes more frustration, but is also where a lot of depth and strategy comes from in team games.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cole Frischhertz View Post
    So you're saying that you should do so good that you can make-up for the lack of skill of your whole team just so you can win? What if you never get decent players on your team ever? There's only so much 1 player can do.
    </td></tr></table>
    It doesn't matter - you can't control other people in a team game, so worrying about how good or not good they are is a waste of energy, and certainly won't let you climb divisions. If you do want a game that success and failure is wholly dependent on your actions alone, then duel games are better-suited. Additionally, you can do premades if you're really serious about winning.

There are external factors, but that's in the core DNA of a team game. You're the only part of that equation you can change (including being better at leading a random team!), so I just think if you're going to try to be successful at a team game, it's the only outlook that leads to improvement.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by sup g jai View Post
    Let us know when you kick your monitor in. Oh let's have a bet, no using your admin/w.e priviledges you have on the trolls you will SURELY encounter in game. Just bear it and let it marinate you and your brain.
    </td></tr></table>
    I play on smurfs just to get this experience - people definitely behave differently when they see devs.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Polaritie View Post
    You merely report jerks, or do you dial a banhammer?
    </td></tr></table>
    Contrary to popular belief, I don't have the ability to ban/unban etc. I go through the same support channels as anyone - my only advantage is in a really extreme case, I can send an email to someone in support to make sure it gets looked at.

Do not take this as "Morello can/will help you get unbanned," because I'll get 100,000 emails from "innocent" players And I won't review unbans, but if you're in the top 1% of toxicity, and we're in a game, that will get my attention :P
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by piyo319 View Post
    Great thought, too bad your rating system doesnt really put that into consideration. You use a 1vs1 rating system on a team game that like you said "an individual has no control".

Why not make the rating system REFLECT some of the things that people do well in a game such as your example, LEAD the game and I get a better rating over my team mates. You apply the same rating throughout the team for its end result which a play has no control over.

I honestly see no use for solo/duo ranking. You should just remove it that and have only 5vs5 because that's the only TRUE ranking system you can have... since you CONTROL who you pick as your team mates and not grouped with a bunch of random people that might not even want to win. So really the SOLO/DUO is about how good you are + how LUCKY you are + how many games you can endure to force the probability. The casual gamer has no chance.
    </td></tr></table>
    Well, it's a competitive mode. What do you expect casual results to be?

I think it's fine to have solo/duo - people can choose their experience. If you want total control, play 5's - it's why it's an option
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheC√ł√łkieMonster View Post
    AKA ... 80% luck....20% your skill level ....

duo is only way to rise... after multiple accounts and a couple thousand ranked games... its true.
    </td></tr></table>
    Luck is an excuse that will keep you in bronze. I intend to get out