Announcing the Collegiate Program

• When it comes to your school, pride matters; when it comes to playing League of Legends, you love entering the queue with friends. We’re excited to announce a new program that brings you the best of both worlds.

With the Collegiate Program you can create or search for a League of Legends club at your school, take part in challenges, request event support and learn about how to nab some kick-ass swag. The new page is for experienced players looking for fresh competition, members of existing clubs looking to join forces with Riot and those who want to find out more about the game their friends are playing. It also gives existing Riot-supported clubs an opportunity to post a club profile page or collaborate with other organizers in the community.

As your club grows, you can host LAN tournaments, pubstomps and even battle other clubs in inter-collegiate competition. Not interested in day-to-day administration? No problem. Take advantage of the site to stay up-to-date on activities that you might have missed and compete at your own pace.

TESPA—Everything’s Big in Texas

As a testament to the power of collegiate clubs, the Texas eSports Association (TESPA) has grown into one of the largest and most ambitious collegiate gaming organizations in the world. Players of all skill levels from eight of Texas’ largest schools joined together to dominate the collegiate esports scene.

Their efforts culminate in an invitational tournament known as the Lone Star Clash. The second time around, the tourney brought in internationally famous pro League of Legends teams to showdown on Summoner’s Rift.

Top-notch broadcasting and expert commentary by Rivington and Scarra helped make Lone Star Clash 2 a resounding success showcasing up-and-coming talent alongside the pro stalwarts. With the former CLG.eu taking down a heated final match against Curse Gaming, more than 47,000 concurrent viewers tuned in to check out all the action.

Check out the Collegiate Program

So, with all these incentives to get started and a success story to map the way, why are you still reading this? Head over to the Collegiate Program today and kick off the next semester in League of Legends style!
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Stexe View Post
    Is there a way for former attendees to form groups and/or join in on the fun?
    </td></tr></table>
    The club is a hub to find like-minded league of legends players in your area. Even if you don't attend the school, you may be able to participate in club activities. Belonging to a club is up to the club's organizers.

tl;dr you can use the website to find an organizer in your area or inspire a current student to start a club.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by RavenHusky View Post
    Nice time to announce this. Right after the Center for Serious Play on the UW Bothell campus decides to shut out casual gaming and rebrand itself as a media lab.

The school also has been unwilling to work with the president of our video game club as to alternate arrangements, so our club is basically dead.
    </td></tr></table>
    You are not alone in having trouble with an unwilling school administration. Part of belonging to the Collegiate Program is being a part of a network of collegiate organizers that have faced and conquered these problems in the past with guidance from Rioters. I would suggest having your group apply so we can get you into this resource.

If you want to discuss this issue in more detail, you can e-mail me at [email protected]
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buffalo of Lies View Post
    And anyway, if we really did want to start a LoL club, we wouldn't need Riot's permission to do it. If I wanted my school to have a LoL club, I would have started one already. I really don't see the point of an announcement like this. If you think being in a LoL club will damage your social life (and it will), think about how you'll look participating in an intercollegiate championship. HINT: You'll look like a basement dweller.
    </td></tr></table>
    I can see where you are coming from, but these clubs are being created regardless of Riot's involvement, and we want to make sure that they have the support they need as well as give anyone else that is interested in starting a club the tools they need to get started.

In addition to getting a public profile on the collegiate website, clubs get these perks:

-A direct line of communication with Riot
    -An active community of other university organizers to discuss ideas and overcome any challenges
    -Free T-shirts and some giveaways to get the club started (Let's be honest, who doesn't love free stuff?)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeaToSky View Post
    What about canada!!!! Why doesn't canada get this yet!!!
    </td></tr></table>
    Canada is in! The Collegiate Program currently supports all of North America, including Canada!
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thy HoundMaster View Post
    aaaaaaand yet another thing Canada gets too miss out on <3
    EDIT: alright fine not all of Canada has to miss out, just me .-.
    </td></tr></table>
    If your school isn't listed, you can e-mail [email protected] and we can look into that for you
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by HydroBreed View Post
    So this seems great. One question though, where is this "Sign-up" sheet? Can not seem to find it anywhere.....did I just see....Teemo?
    </td></tr></table>
    You need to search for your school and click on the result. It will bring you to the profile page. If there is no club profile, there is a button to "Add a Club". From there, follow the directions and you are all set! Hope that helps!
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by boqqtzz View Post
    I get how Riot wants to support players that want to form clubs, and that's cool, but the guy talking about looking like a basement dweller is spot on. The Starcraft club is already one of the most unpopular clubs at Sacramento State with all of 4 members who double as the organization heads, so how much more with League? Broadcasting to the entire campus that you're the head of an online gaming club will absolutely destroy what reputation I do have as a normal person, Riot swag be damned. Props to whoever can pull this off on a major college campus and maintain any semblance of an active social life or credible reputation as a sane, non mouth breathing member of society.
    </td></tr></table>
    As a college student myself, I can definitely understand these concerns. But my experience has been that you'll realize very quickly that there are probably quite a few like-minded people on your campus who'd love to be involved.

Haters are certainly going to hate, but organizing fellow awesome LoL-players into a club and embracing it as an aspect of who you are will not ruin your rep.

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;"> Please change State Field in the search function to make it clear you are only supposed to use the 2 letter code for the state. Had trouble finding my alum school at first because I kept typing in Oregon, instead of OR. </td></tr></table>
    This is a big concern for us too, so thanks for pointing it out.

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;"> does gg university count as school too O.o ? </td></tr></table>
    brb transferring.

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;"> Why not have instead have a collegiate scholaraship program, that if you want to go school, and have done well academically in high school, you get a scholarship. If you then finish College, you get a nice RIOT game bonus: something like all free skins and characters. Instead, this is incentivizing the game, but not incentivizing getting an education. Just a thought, you can do BOTH instead! </td></tr></table>
    This is a good point, and the Collegiate program is not in its final form (we're just like super sayian at this point).

And to be clear: grades always come first. We're not saying you should play League at the expense of your school work!

We're trying to help students who play band together through clubs so that they can have a better LoL experience overall!

Keep the questions coming! I'll try to answer as many as possible