Random High Ping/MS on a Game By Game Basis.

• @Riot

Please Riot/Red..come save me.

This has been happening for about 3 weeks ago. I play League of Legends pretty much every night.

Some games I'll play, and my ping will sit around 90-99, which is fine, there is no delay at that ping. But say the next game, or two games down the road my ping will read at 159-160 from the game loading screen, and most of the time it will stay at that ping through out the entire game. I know 160ish ping isn't absurdly high, but I just want to know if this is on Riot's end or not; and I'd like to see if there's a way this can be fixed.

After I finish a game where the ping was around 160, I'll create a custom game to check my ping, and my ping will be at 90-99 again. I don't know what's going on or how to fix this, but can someone help me out?

I've moved my router closer, I bought a stronger USB adapter for my computer so it has a stronger connection to my router. I've been playing this game since 2010 and since three weeks ago this is the first time it's been happening. I've been in this house for three years and this hasn't happened before.

tl;dr, I've been getting high ping on a game by game basis, this is not on my end, I've ran ping tests to servers in LA and they'll say I'm at 90ish, but I'll look in game and it'll say I'm at 160.

Riot please help me. I want to play this game, but not knowing when or why I'm getting this ping and how I can fix this is getting is very frustrating.

I just want to play league!
  • It is normal that your ping can vary game by game even though your connection has not changed depending on the game server's location your game is running on.

When it comes to intermittent lag spikes as some have described you will often find this being caused by intermittent packet loss on a wireless connection because of signal interference. Me personally I am using cabled connections for all my gaming rigs and if not possible then powerlan.

It can happen that the lag is actually caused by something out of your control, for example over-subscription of services, traffic shaping of an ISP or issues with our service. Playing on NA the further you are away the more likely you are to experience problems from time to time. That's why we are working hard on bringing servers ever closer to you.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Marcus567 View Post
    Riot Terablo,

My son and I play this game. We are both on wireless connections, to the same router. Recently (since the Thresh patch) we noticed we both can't be in-game at the same time. If we are, our normal ping of ~130 goes to over 300. It seems very weird. Is there some limitation now preventing 2 people from playing on the same wireless router?
    </td></tr></table>
    Should not be connected to the patch as such. The more people connected to a router however the worse. Basically you are sharing the bandwidth equally.

Try to open a command prompt going to start > typing in cmd and then 'ipconfig', check your default gateway (most likely 192.168.0.1) then type 'ping -t 192.168.0.1'. This should be < 10 ms and should not jump up and down heavily. You can leave it running while playing league and when you have a spike tab out and check if your ping had gone up or you even had packet loss. If this is the case then your connection to the router is your 'problem', if not it could be the router overloaded by the amount of UDP packets going out.

edit: added quote to make it easier to see who i reply to
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by CSZHUNG View Post
    Hi, i would very much like to believe you on this statement, but the fact taht we have had no news for over a year makes it very disheartening. could we have some updates please.
    </td></tr></table>
    On top of my head in the last 12 month we have launched localized versions of the game in Brazil, Turkey and Thailand. Next up is Russia and we wont stop there. We know it sucks when the only option is to play league with a ping exceeding 300 ms and

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Game View Post
    One game my ping will be normal, moving around in the 80-90s but every other game or 2 the ping will be higher than usual, you can tell as soon as you get to the loading screen. It is ALWAYS either 144 ping or 146 ping, and it sits there. It doesn't move at all. Restarting the client doesn't help, nothing can help, it will be that way for the ENTIRE game ... It's as if we're hitting servers for another country, since the ping is consistent it really feels like trying to play on a server far away, and next game you hit the correct server for your area. That is really my only guess, I'd like to see a more related reply to this.
    </td></tr></table>
    Like I wrote in my first post it can be different depending on which datacenter your server is located in. For NA all are on the continent itself, but your ping will obviously change as the path your packets will take varies. But under normal conditions while the ping is different your experience should not drastically change.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bad Mr Fr0sty View Post
    I've been getting hit with these lag spikes ever since the Nami patch, my second ranked game last night I was getting stuck at ping spikes of 1.4k that held for about 10-20 seconds. I love this game to death but these random lag moments are killing it for me. Is there a current step to improve and fix these issues? My normal ping is 58-60 and its so hard to play nowadays
    </td></tr></table>
    Are you on wireless? What graphic settings do you currently run, maybe you need to try going down a level on some of it. Sometimes new graphical features increase the demand on hardware. At times overly much because of a bug but that should get resolved in reasonable time with a new patch.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kijitow View Post
    Is there ever going to be servers for the eastern half of the united states? I'm not even asking for the ability to play from overseas, I'd just like the same ping in LoL that I get in the other online games I play.
    </td></tr></table>
    The only definite I can say is that this is possible but we are still overcoming some challenges that would help with that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Renegade Rook View Post
    I'd like to add to this thread with my own experiences. My roommate and I play together quite often, and for the most part we will have good ping, no lag issues, but every now and then he or I will experience a game with a high ping and fair amounts of lag. We rarely if ever experience these laggy games at the same time, so it's not our ISP. We play in the same room so it's not a connection issue. He is wired into the modem and I am wireless, so there doesn't seem to be an issue with either way of connecting.
    </td></tr></table>
    'Occasionally' our service is being attacked by people that likely want to slow down the rate of teemo death's per second which we can not always fully shield your experience from impact. But what you describe is more likely a single server running 'slow'. We are working hard to fix this by adding more servers and growing our infrastructure so there is more capacity. If a server runs 'slow' our NOC usually acts pretty fast and ensures no more players will be impacted by it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bad Mr Fr0sty View Post
    HOLY **** A RED IS TALKING TO ME *excitement*

I've been on wireless since I started the game which would be Rumble's release and I've never had the issue as bad as it has been. Several times where as a fight starts, I get the Attempting to Reconnect and come back to seeing my character running back to base. As for the graphic settings, I'm on a Samsung gaming machine. This beast has the latest video card and all the updated drivers so it can't be the graphics. Other games I would connect with no problems whatsoever such as TF2 or Black Ops 2.
    </td></tr></table>
    Can you try the ping trick in mentioned in my second post? The traffic pattern of every game will be different. If the connection to the router is ok maybe the router is itself struggling to keep up with the traffic. Maybe you have some advanced features enabled like packet inspection that you can turn on. From my personal experience in 70% of all cases it was the wireless connection that caused the most issues for game play.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Litose View Post
    the real BR server was already promissed to be ready 5/6 time (end of December, January, start of February, 2nd week of February, last Saturday, Monday, and right now is set to Tuesday(going all the way up to Friday).....
    </td></tr></table>
    Getting a physical DC stood up and hardware into BR has been a huge struggle for us, something we have not experienced in any other country anywhere close to it. We are fighting through these obstacles so hopefully soon we can bring you servers that are in Brazil, as thats just one more reason for me to travel to Brazil and have some more of the awesome food and great people. Sorry that we have kept you waiting so long and that dates change. We set our goals hugely ambitiously and we fight to make it, but sometimes things out of our control make this impossible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DevinitySparda View Post
    Riot Terablo, i've lost the two windows to go to the br server because i was having no problems with my ping then and my friends were all on na,but lately i'm having some problems with my ping and it's getting really hard to play , is there no chance at all for me to transfer now?
    </td></tr></table>
    Not sure. The best people to speak to would be our lovely player support team:
    https://support.leagueoflegends.com/
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaBolink View Post
    my sisters sometimes start watching netflix while i am playing. i get that this will cause ping spikes, i am currently on wireless (going to fix that soon) but will this problem get fixed if i move to wired internet or cause my router just not handle it and i will always lag when the stream?
    </td></tr></table>
    My daughter using the iPad while I play causes huge lag spikes. She's a big youtube users.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by N9ner View Post
    ...Its been 2/3 yrs now you have the results but are afraid to give a response to a community that has waited so long. Tell us the ACTUAL status of a possible Oceanic Server PLEASE...
    </td></tr></table>
    Sorry I have to plead the fifth on this one bar the quote that you already have above.