I'm not sure if I like the Morellonomicon Rush on Xerath

• I mean it feels like an almost different champ, and I get so paranoid that if I don't get my NLR item completed by the end of the laning phase, it slows down significantly before I can finally pick it up (because everyone starts wandering around and sharing farm/exp). I can see the idea behind it, it really makes Xerath a drastically differing champ where his ult immediately becomes a semi-sustained artillery fire to keep putting damage constantly over sustained fights by rushing to the 40% CDR cap w/ blue + Morellonomicon, but I really also love my ult to nuke people down completely and snowball harder, and letting CDR become more relevant as I get to the rank 3 ult when it gets veeeeery low in cooldown and letting blue buff supply me with cooldown enough, while I let ult become more of a big mid-game skirmish swinger.

I'm no pro though, and I definitely want to try this out some more and see how it works.
  • morellonomicon does some interesting things for ap carry itemization due to its components being easy pick-ups early game—even if you want the same 4 items as a core (e.g., morello, sorc shoes, deathcap, void staff) you might not build them the same way every game—it's a good thing to keep in mind every game since you'll start to pick up on how fluctuations in your power curve affect your performance, and when it's a good idea to deviate from what you might consider your default.

if you specifically want to get a taste of 40% cdr early on, but want to preserve a hard ap rush, you could always try early codex + blue elixir(s) + blue buff. you won't set yourself back much at all from the power curve you'd hit from pure damage pathing, but you will get the strong farm/harass/objective control you know from builds that allow for a little more in the way of 'utility stats' like cdr.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Selomorbos View Post
    or just runes+masteries, blue potion and blue buff. Do you guys ever wonder if perhaps there is too much cooldown reduction on blue buff?
    </td></tr></table>
    that's more of a 'big picture' question for the live design team—i don't know how they feel about it, tbh. personally i think it strikes a nice balance of being a point of contention (i.e., it creates conflict between teams) while not specifically paralyzing one team if they miss out on them. like, if my team steals blue i feel great. if our blue gets stolen, i don't feel vulnerable in most cases.

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Selomorbos View Post
    Also if your still posting, Is there many situations where you should go straight for last whisper? I know i've tried last whisper and phantom dancer instead of going for a BF sword item. I thought it was fine, but i know that teams just flame you outright for doing so.
    </td></tr></table>
    early last whisper is pretty good, but it depends on your champion, runes, masteries, and items as well as your opponents. for example, if you're doing a kill lane with graves and 24 a.pen at level 1, you probably want that brutalizer + last whisper rush (assuming that you're doing well).

in any case, i'd probably never want to do last whisper + phantom dancer as my first two items. i think last whisper + youmuu's ghostblade is a stronger setup into infinity edge if you want to 'try to leave a dent' on the champs/builds that push for mid-game resilience. it's often too risky to buy into the amount of crit chance phantom dancer has without having a lot more attack damage first.