RiotSchmick AMA / Status Thread

• So, some people have asked me, in forum posts and in games I've played the past few days, to do an AMA thread. I thought I'd start this thread for that purpose, as well as to let people know when I'm running ARAMs, like right now.

I play open ARAM games most every day at lunchtime (PST) and often after work. I always call the games "RiotSchmick's ARAM" and I never have a password. I'm starting up some games now, so jump on in!

Big thanks to all you folks who make participating on the forums and playing community games so enjoyable. See you on the Fields of Justice.
  • Some of these questions I have answered before, but rather than post a link to the old threads and make people click around, I just copy/pasted, so you may see something that looks familiar. Also, I 'm going to reply to these in batches so the posts don't get too long.

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by IMTOOJUICY View Post
    What the heck is a schmick?
    </td></tr></table>
    I used to have a habit of making up words when I couldn't quickly think of the right one. One time, when asking my college roommate to hand me something, I couldn't think of what it was called, so I called it a schmickie. She thought the word was really funny, so it become my go-to placeholder word, along with the shorter form schmick. After that, I started using it as my internet handle for various things and the rest is history?

Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Fate000 View Post
    What's your favorite role in-game? Also, what champs do you consider the cutest?
    </td></tr></table>
    I main (and prefer) ADC. If you mean cutest as in "Aww, isn't that cute" - Teemo and Blitzcrank.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dehunter456 View Post
    Is mayonnaise an instrument?
    </td></tr></table>
    One of my co-workers says he plays a mean mayonnaise, so apparently, yes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ACanOfCoke View Post
    What exactly do you do at Riot?
    </td></tr></table>
    I engineer software!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Call Me Tonight View Post
    Tell us how do you feel working at Riot?
    </td></tr></table>
    Squishy?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Talith PA View Post
    What would it really take, resource-wise, to enable a ranked queue for Dominion?
    </td></tr></table>
    I honestly can't answer that. I don't work on the code base/tech that would involved, so I can't make an assessment.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HiddenSpikeTrap View Post
    How did you get into this line of work? Were you ever discouraged by being female? I'm a woman in computer science and sometimes I feel a little uncomfortable, especially in college classes I've taken where even in 120 students there are about only 10 females in the group.
    </td></tr></table>
    My dad was a programmer, so we have always had computers, and game systems, in my house from a very early age. I always loved playing games and spending time on the computer creating things. Being an introvert, the time spent alone and thinking, with no social demands being made on, me was quite enjoyable. The older I got, the more I realized how much that appealed to me. As I have mentioned in the past, I double majored in Psychology and Linguistics in college, but there was a critical point in school when I realized that my career plan in these fields wasn't going to work for me. I won't go into boring details about that here, but after some soul searching at that time, I had the realization that going into programming was an obvious choice for me.

Starting in college when I took some Computer Science classes, I definitely noticed the lack of females in the crowd. I'm not even sure there were 10 females in any of the CS classes I took. It didn't bother me though. I've always been a tomboy and generally relate more to guys than girls, so that probably put me in good stead for this field. In addition, I am extremely stubborn and independent, so I wouldn't have let sticking out in the crowd stop me, even if I wasn't as comfortable with being around a bunch of dudes.

If it does bother you, though, you should know that in my experience as a female engineer, it has been no different than it was in school - it's mostly guys. There are a lot of efforts and programs at work to increase the number of female software engineers, but for the time being, you will probably be around mostly men in any engineering department. I have worked several places where I was the *only* female software engineer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Holy Malevolence View Post
    Did you put up the new ARAM map to find it had a glitch and needed to be taken down?

'Cause I swear that I was about to get into a game on it in patch day when nobody could get into a game.

And if so, what was the prob?
    </td></tr></table>
    Not to my knowledge.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graphaz View Post
    Do you, in fact, have ginger hair, wear a pinstripe woman's suit, and sport two Tommy guns?

I will perpetually see you as Mafia Miss Fortune in real life.
    </td></tr></table>
    Only sometimes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zentrium View Post
    Do you have anything you like do to for fun besides League of Legends? Like surfing or something :P
    </td></tr></table>
    I enjoy playing video, card, and board games. I own an Xbox 360, a Wii, and my gaming laptop. League has been my favorite video game for a number of years now, but I also love the Mass Effect series, the Bioshock series, and the Dragon Age series. I prefer Xbox over Wii, but some Wii favorites are Boomblox and Kirby's Dream Course via Virtual Console.

I also like reading and watching various things on TV (favorites past and present include The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones - the books and the show, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Venture Bros., Grimm, etc.). Oh, and The Walking Dead video game was pretty epic, too.

I enjoy cooking sometimes. I also have a horse, and I enjoy riding, although I don't get to see him too often as he lives far away right now.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carunei View Post
    Why is master yi so bad? Please help im 9-20 with him at plat V and i just dont know what im doing wrong
    </td></tr></table>
    If you are Plat V, there's nothing I could say to help you. I'm not even on your level bro.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kakyoin Noriaki View Post
    Who are your least favorite Champions?
    </td></tr></table>
    To play or to play against? I assume you mean to play, in which case, any tanky bruiser. It just doesn't fit my play style, especially if I have to get in melee range. Yuck!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Treeke View Post
    Which tier are you in and bro, do you even lift (I'm doing a research to see if the people who lift gets higher ranking than those who dont, OR to see if it's otherwise)

From a scale from 1 to 10 how much you hate teemo.?

Who do you think it's hidden/sleeper OP.?
    </td></tr></table>
    I have not done S3 placement matches, so I am not in any tier.

I most definitely do NOT lift.

I actually dont hate Teemo at all, so 1?

If I knew who was hidden/sleeper OP, I would be playing them! Who do you think is?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vsin View Post
    How hard do you take personal complaints/criticism?
    </td></tr></table>
    Supposedly INTJ deal with criticism fairly well, but I would say for me, the delivery matters a lot. If criticism is worded constructively, I find it useful and try to take it to heart. Otherwise, I admit that I get angry or defensive.

Constructive criticism is key to personal and professional growth, though. It can be pretty difficult to see your own flaws from your biased internal view of the world. Without other people who are willing to honestly critique you, self-improvement would be a lot slower and a lot more challenging.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RockNRoll Jesus View Post
    What do you think of the new trundle Visual / voice change?

Personally for me i think both old and new are great but am upset that they are 2 different champions (personality wise)
    </td></tr></table>
    I am not a Trundle player. I have played him once or twice in an ARAM, but not since the change.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Auryiel View Post
    If you could, would you trade your icon for Secret Agent MF?

Mafia and Secret Agent are my 2 favorite MF skins and I cannot for the life of me decide which one I like better D:
    </td></tr></table>
    No, I actually don't like Secret Agent MF that much. My second favorite MF skin is actually Road Warrior, but, it's a solid second. I wouldn't trade Mafia for it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psycho Pretzel View Post
    How is Morello with a nerf gun during your Riot nerf battles?
    </td></tr></table>
    I don't sit anywhere near him, so I don't know. The guys that sit near me are pretty good. Many of them have mastered throwing the darts fast enough that they rival the guns, and even whistle as they streak past your face.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RavenHusky View Post
    Can you get Morello or someone on the balance team to get on the forums and explain why Lux is getting nerfed?
    </td></tr></table>
    I can bring up that the community is requesting it, although the design and balance teams watch the forums regularly, whether or not they reply to all requests, so they are likely already aware.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FeIron View Post
    If two trains are speeding towards the same point at 50mph and 63.14mph, one from the NW and one from the S, respectively, the weather is cloudy with a chance of rain, it is approximately 65F out, and it is Spring,

what is your favorite color?
    </td></tr></table>
    Burgundy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Agility View Post
    Do you feel limited by being around Phreak on a daily basis?
    </td></tr></table>
    Nope. He and I do totally different things.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rebel Dragon View Post
    Do you know someone who can give the Dominion community news of what is going on, if anything, with that mode, and can you drop mice down their pants until they do?

More information here:http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3252767
    </td></tr></table>
    Same reply as the Lux nerf request. I can bring it up with the relevant parties, but I can't guarantee anything.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lux Veritatis View Post
    In a scale of Urgot to Brand.. How hot are you?
    </td></tr></table>
    Honey Boo Boo

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GhillieSaur View Post
    Why no urfday skin?
    </td></tr></table>
    I don't know. I don't work on the skins team. : \

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anymeese View Post
    Is there a new skin for Trundle in the works or just the current 2 and "traditional"?

I'm not asking in a MOARPL0X way, but I've been waiting patiently for months to buy a skin for my favorite champion until now that I can finally see how they look with the update.. but I don't want to buy a skin now and a new one come out in a month that I like better.

As for non-league stuff:
    Whats some of your favorite cartoons? I love all the Genndy Tartakovsky cartoons (Courage the Cowardly Dog, Dexters Lab, Billy and Mandy, Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, etc) and just recently started rewatching Invader Zim. AINT GIR HILLARIOUS?
    </td></tr></table>
    I don't know what's in the works for him. Also, in general for people on this thread asking questions, I cannot talk about anything in the pipeline that isn't already publically announced, so I won't be able to answer any questions along those lines.

Favorite cartoons include Venture Bros., Invader Zim, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Animaniacs, Family Guy, Teen Titans, King of the Hill, Futurama, Danger Mouse, Inspector Gadget, all of the Disney Afternoon line up from the first 3 seasons (except Goof Troop - what was that garbage?). I could go on, but that's enough for now.

Also, Robot Chicken and Wallace and Gromit - not cartoons per se, but in the same vein.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by RiotSchmick View Post

I enjoy playing video, card, and board games. I own an Xbox 360, a Wii, and my gaming laptop. League has been my favorite video game for a number of years now, but I also love the Mass Effect series, the Bioshock series, and the Dragon Age series. I prefer Xbox over Wii, but some Wii favorites are Boomblox and Kirby's Dream Course via Virtual Console.
    </td></tr></table>
    First of all, hi.

Secondly, Stephen Spielberg's Boomblox.

Thirdly, srsly, what do you do at Riot? I know programming but... what do?

Most importantly, which is your favorite food truck, and what is your favorite thing of that truck. I know you're a fan of food truck row, so I want a little insight into how the magic happens for you.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kaiden View Post
    Can I add you?

Whats your favorite champion in league?
    </td></tr></table>
    Currently? MF. In order from when I started playing? Jax, Ashe, Katarina, Malzahar, Caitlyn, Graves, MF

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shiralune View Post
    Why Mafia MF?
    </td></tr></table>
    Have you seen her?? : )

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Malza View Post
    Wondering the same thing for TT solo queue ranked. And normal draft pick TT.

I think TT / dominion would both be taken at least a bit more seriously if there was ranked solo queue for them.
    </td></tr></table>
    Same answer as before. I don't work on the code/tech for this stuff, so I can't speak to it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadridFC View Post
    What do you do at RIOT?
    Do you folow any religion ?
    Aram 1 v 1 Phreak vs Morello pick one.
    Have you ever really wanted to be a total rebel flipping tables on the enemy?

And you told that no one would be interested on an AMA about you, Im glad you where wrong and excuse my english xD
    </td></tr></table>
    No I don't. I'm agnostic.

Phreak

I don't get the last question!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ding an Sich View Post
    What is the most memorable thing right now for you? in context at working at Riot.
    </td></tr></table>
    The fact that I'm working at Riot! I still pinch myself. Seriously, every day is amazing and memorable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by A Swarm of Koala View Post
    If you were to have one everlasting gobstopper (the ones that really last forever) for the rest of your life, what flavor would you pick?
    </td></tr></table>
    Strawberry banana.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Renaito Yuujou View Post
    Question, Schmick: Can you quantify how awesome you are?
    </td></tr></table>
    .8 kilowatt years

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2Annies1Chalice View Post
    What are some of your favorite things to do in your off time when not playing League or working at Riot?
    </td></tr></table>
    Similar question asked before, and I answered in a previous reply.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VA Savior View Post
    Can you say how scary frankentibbers actually is? because, let me tell you..... pretty terrifying.
    </td></tr></table>
    Jack Skellington scary.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kuothe View Post
    Should I become a police officer?
    </td></tr></table>
    Would you enjoy it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Luscious Lenny View Post
    shmick it would be an honor to vs you in aram. hopefully you do more soon =D
    </td></tr></table>
    Pretty much every day, although I'll be in training for the next 3 days, so the lunchtime ARAMs will be on hiatus until next week.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HiFromBuddha View Post
    This is very important.

How do you like your steak done?
    </td></tr></table>
    I'm not a huge fan of beef, but when I do have it, medium rare.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    You need to spell her name correctly first
    </td></tr></table>
    Also true!

I'm heading home from the office now. I'll reply to more of your posts later!
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wildexodon View Post
    I have a question. Is working at riot a possibility? As in, I am in 10th grade at the moment, what particular courses could I go to work at riot? I've been playing avidly
    since kog came out, and I would love to be part of this company in the future. I would love to go into design, since I've always loved concept. I love the idea of creating and writing stories,
    and watching them come to life in front of you
    </td></tr></table>
    It's always a possibility. I can't give you good advice about what specifically you should do to prepare yourself for a career in design or writing, but no reason you should rule it out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HandyCulo View Post
    What software have you designed/programmed for Riot?

What languages do you use while working at Riot?

When did you start programming?
    </td></tr></table>
    I can't really talk about what I've worked on.

I use Java and Grails/Groovy on my projects at Riot, although many others are used company wide.

I started programming in college.

If you are interested in programming at Riot in general, there was quite an extensive thread on the topic somewhat recently: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3055869

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimsHardcore View Post
    Hi Schmick.
    I must say reading through that thread, I was very pleased with your attitude towards the community, and your attitude in general. It is really nice to see Riot Employee's of whom are enjoying being active on the forum in a positive way, and doing everything they can to make the experience enjoyable.

I suppose my question, to keep it relevant to an AMA is, How do you remain so positive in a community that can seem so toxic at times. I find myself frustrated at times when in Solo Queue, do you have a method to "cool down", such as music you listen to when you play, or are you just a generally calm and peaceful person?

Keep up the solid work. Much appreciated!! :3
    </td></tr></table>
    I don't listen to music when I play, as I find it too distracting.

I'm fairly competitive, so I wouldn't chalk it up to being a generally calm and peaceful person

I don't enjoy toxicity or trolls, but it won't stop me from playing. When I'm in a patient mood, I ask people who are acting out to please be more constructive or point out that their behavior is only going to negatively affect our team and thus its chances of winning. Amazingly, that actually works sometimes. Sometimes people are just having a bad day and when they get a reality check, they realize they shouldn't take it out on random people. More often though, it doesn't work, and sometimes I'm just not in a patient mood. In those cases, I just mute/ignore those people who start irritating me enough to distract me from the game and having fun. I keep playing though. I'm not going to let trolls ruin my good time - that's exactly what they want!

It can be difficult to remain positive in game or on the forums when people are being negative, rude, or trolling, but there's nothing you can do to control other people's behavior, so I just focus on what I can control (my own behavior) and ignore the people that are trying to ruin it for the rest of us.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 985 View Post
    Why are you on the forums? What do you actually do. 'software engineer'
    </td></tr></table>
    I enjoy interacting with the community and trying to be helpful.

I can't speak specifically about what I'm working on, other than to say I write the codes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkyjinx View Post
    re: Dominion

can you pass on this thread to someone who can?

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3252767

and ask they reply. 1300+ upvotes, 100k+ views, 3k+ replies. no response from Riot. please?
    </td></tr></table>
    Same answer as before - I can pass it on, but I can't guarantee any particular outcome.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graphaz View Post
    So what color is your hair when it's not red?
    </td></tr></table>
    Dark brown.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samflash3 View Post
    Very important question. To hue or not to hue?
    </td></tr></table>
    Not! jajajaja

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vamaar View Post
    I am currently in a software design class at my university, and an interesting discussion came about on the subject of what it meant to be a software engineer. The word engineer typically has very specific connotations attached to it. For example, an architectural engineer's jobs may be to look through blueprints and ok them by means of a stamp which is considered a legal binding and, from what we learned in lectures, this is the typical mark of a proper engineering position; you have the ability to look at some sort of design and give it legally binding approval, as well as being responsible to a some sort of larger bodies of engineers.

This, from a software design perspective, makes little sense for a variety of (what I would hope would be) fairly obvious reasons.

With this in mind, what kind of software engineer are you? Does such a stamp exist, and if so what qualifies as a 'design'? Where do your responsibilities end?
    </td></tr></table>
    I don't think such a stamp exists in the software engineering world, although there may be various metaphors for it depending on the process used. Whether or not a software engineer's responsibilities include design, and to what extent, depends on the organization/company. I have worked places where we had no designers and we did all the software design ourselves. I have also worked places where there was a dedicated architect/designer that the engineers worked with. Riot has many different teams, and each works in a way that makes sense for that team, so some may include an architect/designer and use one methodology, while another may not have any designers and use a totally different methodology. My team does not have a dedicated architect/designer, so all the engineers do design collaboratively. We also, where appropriate, collaborate with engineers from other teams that have tackled similar problems before us to find out how they solved them, what best practices they would recommend, what mistakes they made, etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prince Xorism View Post
    How did your first interview at RiotHQ go ?
    & Have you met the boss yet (Mr President)
    </td></tr></table>
    It went well enough that I work here. : )

I have not been personally introduced to him, but I have seen him plenty of times in group settings.

Quote:
    Ok for real. Don't really have much to ask. Just wanted to thank you for the advise you gave me in the riot programmers thread. Oh yeah!
    Do you get to play against Phreak? I know Riot is a large company but do you get to play with rioters like Guinsso, Phreak , Nerf Master Suck Town, etc
    </td></tr></table>
    I tend to play games with the Rioters that I sit by, and I don't sit by any of those guys, so I don't play with them. Also, a lot of us tend to self-match make, and those guys are higher ranked than me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OkiFool66 View Post
    Is there going to be a client change from Adobe Air any time soon?

Also, thank you for being an awesome Rioter. Even though some of your posts aren't very helpful it keeps the community aware that Riot really does read the forums! (Looking at Larias's Karma thread)
    </td></tr></table>
    As I stated before, I am not able to answer questions along these lines, about what may or may not be coming down the pipe. Please stick to questions about publically announced or live topics.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WarlordAlpha View Post
    Tons of damage?
    </td></tr></table>
    4.3 tons to be exact

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
    First of all, hi.

Secondly, Stephen Spielberg's Boomblox.

Thirdly, srsly, what do you do at Riot? I know programming but... what do?

Most importantly, which is your favorite food truck, and what is your favorite thing of that truck. I know you're a fan of food truck row, so I want a little insight into how the magic happens for you.
    </td></tr></table>
    Grif, stop trolling. And hi.

I think we all knew which Boomblox I meant - did someone else do one?

Thirdly, I already covered this, troll.

My favorite food truck is well known to be FishLips. I eat there every Monday and Friday - large crunchy set. I'm not sure that really covers the *how* of the magic, but it covers the what. Feel free to bring back food for me next time you head down there.
  • Quote:

My favorite food truck is well known to be FishLips. I eat there every Monday and Friday - large crunchy set. I'm not sure that really covers the *how* of the magic, but it covers the what. Feel free to bring back food for me next time you head down there.
    </td></tr></table>
    I did NOT know this. Let me know next time, I want to try "The Schmick".
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by WarlordAlpha View Post
    Also, what software do you engineer?
    </td></tr></table>
    Already answered - can't discuss it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Knight Of Tanner View Post
    Why are you one of the few Reds that do interaction stuff? I've seen very few AMA's, ARAM's, and fun comments like the ones you post on forums.
    </td></tr></table>
    It's up to the individual Rioter. It's not required as part of the job.

It can be difficult to put yourself out there as a lot of times, posting as a red means taking a lot of flack or the brunt of community anger about some issue.

Quote:
    Oh yeah! Is there any chance for a Riot vs Pros or Riot vs GD match where the community decides who/what items to pick? A lot of people want to see Morello playing (dare i say) Irelia or a randomly community voted champion and Phreak jungling using a specific character.
    </td></tr></table>
    I am sure there are plenty of Rioters that would be willing to do a Riot vs. GD match and let the community decide who they play, etc. I would be willing to do it. Feel free to start a thread and see if you can wrangle up 4 more.

As for Rioters versus Pros, that would require more coordination and legwork, but it's a neat idea. I can bring it up internally, but feel free to suggest it in your own thread as well. : )

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Hi Schmick!
    </td></tr></table>
    Hi Jules! See you this summer!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dextii View Post
    Do you ever wear your Teemo Hat outside while going to restaurants/shopping?

Please tell me i'm not alone...
    </td></tr></table>
    No I don't, but I assure you, you're not alone.

As for everyone else who requested a game with me, I am maxing out on friend requests, so your best bet is to just watch my Twitter or the PlayWithRiot chat room for ARAMs. Otherwise, start a specific thread for your 1000th win or birthday requests when the time comes and I'll try to keep an eye out. I may miss some, but I try my best.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Koechophe View Post
    What's your favorite novel?
    What's your favorite food?
    </td></tr></table>
    Favorite novel is a tough one. I like most any Kurt Vonnegut novel (of the ones I've read, and that's about 15 of them), and I also really like all of the GoT books. I also love every Arthur C. Clarke book I've read (about 10 or so), except Childhood's End (the ending ruined it for me).

My favorite food is also a tough one. I like *lots* of stuff. I'd take Southern home cookin' any day I could get it, but I also love sushi, Italian food, and carnitas!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tornadus5 View Post
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    </td></tr></table>
    Yes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HandyCulo View Post

:'( You didn't answer my questions
    </td></tr></table>
    Yes, but I said:

Quote:
    I'm heading home from the office now. I'll reply to more of your posts later!
    </td></tr></table>
    Your question was answered in a batch after I got home.
  • Do you have a moment to talk about the moon?
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
    Do you have a moment to talk about the moon?
    </td></tr></table>
    What about the sun?