Why was Irelia made the way she is now???

• Right now, her image and lore really don't reflect her playstyle at all

I've always imagined Irelia to play like Nu from Blazblue, although not as OP
    Reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-0ChDIKphU
    Extra fact:
    Nu's voice actor is the same voice actor as Riven's, Christina Vee

Basically, swords flying everywhere. It would fit her more for her to be a zoning type of character that keeps her distance and jumps around throwing swords, rather than building full tank and jumping on top of everyone she sees, smacking away with true damage.

Riot has been talking about wanting to fit image with playstyle, which is the reason for reworking Sion, so why should Irelia not be included in this?

Yeah, I know Irelia isn't useless like Sion, but being a tank just doesn't fit Irelia's image. Irelia is hard to balance in the first place, due to the fact that she does true damage and has so much sustain, so why not rework her so that she better fits her image of a zoning type of champion?

This way, Morello wouldn't have to keep nerfing her. Just saying
  • Ezreal can speak more to this, but Irelia was us (incorrectly) solving a problem of melee at the time.

In Season 1, we had a hard time making melee "work." Xin and Garen were our first two real cracks at it, but we wanted to try to get melee to be a strong character archetype in the game. The result was the "kitchen sink" approach we took with Irelia. The meme "better nerf Irelia" is actually based on some truth; in a lot of ways, her and Xin are the primordial ooze that future metagolem fighters are born of, and that design has fundamental problems.

The original idea was something like the Sword mage from Blade and Soul, but somehow, that got off the rails with this problem. I'd just started here not long before that, so it's probably better for Ezreal to explain his thought process first-hand here
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Ralik098 View Post
    Maybe, but Riot doesn't seem interested in doing something like that because they are so afraid of pissing people off. Funny thing though, by keeping her as she is, weak, they piss me off far more than actually making changes, but that is just my opinion. As long as they kept her as a mobile anti-carry then I would be fine with them changing something. Although anything that gets rid of her W would have to be a full remake and would essentially change how she plays because her kit is so focused around that skill.
    </td></tr></table>
    There are two possible approaches for Irelia;

* Leave her alone
    * Full, complete rework

She'd be almost unrecognizable about her in the second. I still want to do it, but it's not as high a priority as some others.
  • Quote:
    <table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset; padding:10px;">
    Originally Posted by Treeke View Post
    On a serious note, could you nerf irelia?

I mean, after lvl 9, there's nothing you can do to her, AND she synergizes TOO WELL with BoTRK.

Even though she hasn't seen play in tournaments she is too strong right now.

Btw Morello, where were you? Too busy with unrealeased champs?
    </td></tr></table>
    Lots going on, and sucked into a couple of other games while trying to crawl up in Ranked. I phase in and out depending on life events/"HP"/etc
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiteglint3 View Post
    dodging the major question, her playstyle has nothing to do with fighting with floating blades, her ult isn't even the same blades, and seems tacked on in the end.

she fights up close and swings her floating blades.. just like she would if she had them in her hands, and like you said, her abilites are just a mish mash of things.

it seems that her character design, and her kit, are completely seperate, she could have looked like anything and still played the same, because Irelia wasn't a champion, she was an archetype, a mold.

well its good to at least finally know why she is so bankrupt as a champion, design wise.
    </td></tr></table>
    I actually answered your question directly; her kit is not cohesive at all, and for the reasons I listed. I agree, if that wasn't clear
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ralik098 View Post
    I can't believe this got a response....

But here we are again with you saying that you will never allow a champion to be in a good spot unless they get a rework. Either do it already so we can all move on or step down and let someone take over who is interested in fixing the problems with this game. You are essentially saying that you don't want people to play a particular champion. What you are doing is shady and you are grifting people out of their money. Leaving champions like this is not ok. Either fix her or....
    </td></tr></table>
    You're right I should stop responding to your posts on this ;x

Then I'll say it for the last time; game development is about priorities. Some things are more important than others, and that determines what we can and can't work on in a given time. We only have a handful of champions not picked or banned in LCS at this point, so treating it like some critical issue (compared to something like Heimer, which is in way worse condition) is just some agenda where you think design fairies can just think up ideas and they get to happen instantly and unilaterally, or that it's a matter of effort/desire. I just don't know how to respond to that, because it's like me telling you the sky is green.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blaine Tog View Post
    Not to call foul or anything, but if you guys know you made a mistake giving Irelia so many tools, how did Rengar make it through with arguably even more tools?
    </td></tr></table>
    We're still not great at making Fighters. Some of it is because there's a big desire for new ones to compete with old ones. I need to be providing more specific oversight on this.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by chumbler View Post
    It occurs to me that at some point when you or other developers have time, it would be good to explain how you define "cohesive", similar to explanations of "toxic" and "antifun" in the past. I suggest this because many people seem to define "cohesive" as "I have everything I could ever possibly want in my kit" (this is not a good definition), when Riot defines it fairly differently. It might help stop some of the whining when changes are made. I mean it won't, but I can dream that it might.
    </td></tr></table>
    Good idea. I'm working with heintzer to make some structure of a Riot design blog, which is a good avenue to provide some of these more philosophical ideas.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arafotab View Post
    It seems pretty obvious that the second option is the option that would be best for the game, although you're right that she would be unrecognizable

Her design is very bad, which makes her not feel very unique and wasting her potential as a very exciting character. A true damage tank does not seem to fit her well, while being very hard to balance at the same time

I understand that it's not a high priority since there's some champions that need more attention than Irelia (eg. Sion, Heimerdinger, etc.), but I'm hoping that Irelia will be looked at some time in the future

She's just so much wasted potential and doesn't fit the image that both her model and lore portrays
    </td></tr></table>
    Agreed - one of the most painful things, to me as a designer, is when I see opportunity cost on this level. It basically puts us in a bad spot because the cost of fixing it grows a ton as we now have to actively choose to piss people off to fix a real problem. Even this thread is full of Irelia fans!

Irelia is fun to play, Irelia has very little interaction, decision-making or counter-play.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sparklesniff View Post
    @Morello

If you agree that Irelia is in need of a full and complete rework to the point where afterwards she would be unrecognizable, how can Riot allow Irelia to be up for sale?
    </td></tr></table>
    Because we change things all the time - that's part of playing League. If you purchase a champion, you're buying what it is now, we make no guarantees it'll be that way forever.